O-Ni Japanese Heavy pen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Altwar #1 Posted Sep 29 2016 - 06:08

Major

• Players
  • 58412 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

So first off, I'm enjoying the giggle factor of these Japanese tanks with the big gun.  They are a lot of fun versus a lower or equal tier as they have a knockout punch that can deliver much more often than arty, in my opinion.  The one thing that's getting me however, is facing off versus another Japanese heavy.  When I was in the O-I Exp, the O-I and now the O-Ni, I'm having some difficulty on being able to pen the enemy equivalent, which for me now is the O-Ni with my O-Ni.  I seem to bounce a lot with AP or even HEAT, though I've found some limited success with HE.   I know of the weak spots for the most part thanks to tanks.gg (http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guide-o-ni/#) but I seem to bounce off that nice green side all too often.  

In the battle report below, I had a pretty good match but I was within 50 meters of the other O-Ni for a couple minutes at least trading shots with neither of us being very effective versus each other.

http://imgur.com/a/BzUFh

So what I'm asking here for some beneficial ideas or methods other players have found to be more successful.  Thanks in advance!

Willy_W_Wonka #2 Posted Sep 29 2016 - 14:32

Major

• Players
  • 47945 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
This is why I didn't run the derp, tickle damage from HE doesn't get the job done sometimes. Buying the Type 5 in a few days.

Bayushi_Makoto #3 Posted Sep 29 2016 - 16:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 206 battles

Don't see why you should be having trouble with 190mm AP pen and 215mm premium pen on your 10cm cannon.

Because quite frankly, the 15cm loads too slowly in my opinion and does too unreliable damage.

Altwar #4 Posted Sep 30 2016 - 01:48

Major

• Players
  • 58412 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostBayushi_Makoto, on Sep 29 2016 - 07:45, said:

Don't see why you should be having trouble with 190mm AP pen and 215mm premium pen on your 10cm cannon.

Because quite frankly, the 15cm loads too slowly in my opinion and does too unreliable damage.

Yeah, that might be the issue there.  I'm running with the 15cm Type 95 gun because of the hilarious derp and because I thought it was the top gun for the tank.  Just goes to show sometimes that even with my experience, I will miss some things. Thanks!

mcclada #5 Posted Oct 04 2016 - 03:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21313 battles
  • [BAL_S] BAL_S

I love the O-Ni. Got to two marks on the back of the 15cm...yeah, it reloads slow and the AP shell is better @ tier 6, but the HE can do good damage to 8's and 9's.

That being said, the most damage I get is between 2500 - 3000 dmg. My best game was with the 10cm. But it's a personal preference, the 15cm.

Never go it alone. Unless you are on top, then you can push with help. In higher tier games, hang back behind the other heavies and wait till the enemy is reloading. 

pepe_trueno #6 Posted Oct 04 2016 - 13:28

Major

• Players
  • 41596 battles

Heat rounds on the 152mm are a trap, the pen they gain is marginal, on  many situations your are better with ap for the extra normalisation and overmatch.

He is your best bet vs heavy armored targets, if you Can get close enought to another o-ni you Can alway try to go for the mini turrets roof.

Also tagged with O-Ni, Japanese Heavy, pen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users