Role of TD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

tunaboo #1 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 13:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 5227 battles
Hi,

As a new player, I have poked around with the different classes of tanks. I had a lot of fun with TD, so it was my first class to get up to tier 5.

Now as I start to play with higher tier people.. I wonder what is the actual role of a TD? In most cases.. a heavy tank of my same tier has the same weapon, a similar speed, but nearly double the armor and HP.

Is a TD just a bad heavy tank?

The only role I can think of is a medium range (~400m) sniper... something with more dps than an arty but too fragile to go all the way to the front line.

cptnknipples #2 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4895 battles
TDs are ambushers and/or made to support advances

QuiNSonG #3 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 13:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14886 battles
camo, and that makes all the difference in strategy plannings

Viper69 #4 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 14:12

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
TDs hold choke points. Put them in places they cant get flanked and a spot where the enemy has to funnel down to you. Some TDs lend themselves to assault roles. The Hetzer for instance with its stubby gun moving along with heavies can be a ferocious little bugger to have in the front lines. TDs make great spotters as well. I have seen TDs rush on campinova to the hedges and sit and spot for their arty, not firing a shot just watching.

Gaglug #5 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 16:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4132 battles
Static defense.

TDs generally have a camo bonus compared to regular tanks.   Sit them in a defensive position where attackers are forced to come at you head-on.  Have your +25% binocs on if you want a nice boost to your spot range.  Have your camo net on to reduce enemies spot range against you.  

Then ambush enemies as they drive across the open towards you.

Sword_of_Light #6 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 17:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8234 battles

View PostGaglug, on Aug 02 2011 - 16:45, said:

Static defense.

TDs generally have a camo bonus compared to regular tanks.   Sit them in a defensive position where attackers are forced to come at you head-on.  Have your +25% binocs on if you want a nice boost to your spot range.  Have your camo net on to reduce enemies spot range against you.  

Then ambush enemies as they drive across the open towards you.

This does, however, make the TD belov'ed of artillery - oh, look, that Jpanther is just sitting there sniping in support of that IS - do I hit the moving target or the stationary one?  Shoot n' scoot is something that you have to work on in the higher tiers, because its easier in the low tiers to just sit and snipe, without fear of artillery reprisal.

I've also found it tough to break out of the role of sniper - and there are times when you should use your TD to advance on the enemy, even if earlier in the battle you were camping.  I have used TDs in the assault role - sometimes from the start, and with the right TD, it can be pure evil - top of the food chain, in Ruinsburg, I was pretty much invincible in my Hetzer.  Sometimes its good to go to assault from sniping after the initial push from the enemy has been blunted.  Best example is Westfield, after the slugfest in the town is resolved, I often break my cover and try to hit enemies in the valley or on the eastern ridge.

However, I've always considered my main goal as a TD was the protection of my teams artillery.  I hate it when I see all the TDs on my team scatter to the enemy base, because three artillery kept safe throughout a battle will be far more effective than three TDs assaulting the other team.  Since TDs in higher tiers get more durable (I've gotten a Steel Wall in my jpanther) they can stand up to more punishment - that means that while the medium or light attackers are focused on you, the paper-armored SPG is lobbing huge shells in support of your defense of them.  A good TD defense of aty is reciprocal, and difficult to break.

-Don

Gaglug #7 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 17:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4132 battles

View PostSword_of_Light, on Aug 02 2011 - 17:20, said:

This does, however, make the TD belov'ed of artillery - oh, look, that Jpanther is just sitting there sniping in support of that IS - do I hit the moving target or the stationary one?  Shoot n' scoot is something that you have to work on in the higher tiers, because its easier in the low tiers to just sit and snipe, without fear of artillery reprisal.

To be fair, the "don't sit in one place once you are spotted" applies to every tank in the higher tiers, not just TDs.  And as you say, TDs forget this rule more than other tankers.

But always remember that the primary strength of the TD is on defense, launching an ambush against a moving tank that can't see you.  You should be able to get a couple rounds into him before he can return fire(though at higher tiers, you'll only get one in first).   Can you advance with a TD?  Yes.   Should you, in certain circumstances?  Yes.   Is a frontal assault by a TD their primary usage scenario?  No.   After you spring your ambush, should you scoot and reposition to avoid being plastered by 2000 damage points coming through the top of your tank?  Oh yes.

If you're in a TD you should think primarily defense, taking offensive options when the battlefield situation warrants it.  And you'll only know that point and the correct balance and timing through experience.

Necrolegion #8 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 18:16

Major

• Players
  • 20381 battles

View Posttunaboo, on Aug 02 2011 - 13:51, said:

Hi,

As a new player, I have poked around with the different classes of tanks. I had a lot of fun with TD, so it was my first class to get up to tier 5.

Now as I start to play with higher tier people.. I wonder what is the actual role of a TD? In most cases.. a heavy tank of my same tier has the same weapon, a similar speed, but nearly double the armor and HP.

Is a TD just a bad heavy tank?

The only role I can think of is a medium range (~400m) sniper... something with more dps than an arty but too fragile to go all the way to the front line.

For TD focus on sniping from a distance. Upgrade your radio, get cloak and the binocular upgrade/module forgot what it called that increases your line of sight.

TD's aren't meant to go head on against other tanks as their turrets don't rotate(except on some American TDs). Follow groups of mediums and heavies but stay back a little and help them bring down enemy tanks they encounter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users