Tankettes: Possible New Class?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

CapturedJoe #21 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 13:11

Captain

• Players
  • 4214 battles

Believe me, I'd love to see historical tankettes like the L3/35 and the TKS in-game, but making a whole new class for them wouldn't make sense; after all, the opposite of tankettes, the super-heavy tanks like the Maus and TOG don't have their own class either because they basically fulfill the same role as normal heavy tanks at their tier. Same with low-tier tankettes, their role wouldn't differ much from traditional light tanks like the Pz.I.

WG won't bother creating an entire new class for some early-war light tanks, because it doesn't make sense in this game. Let's hope WG will eventually add these tankettes though, but as light tanks. Which would also make crew training less of a pain than with a new vehicle class.

On a final note, here's a picture of the Hungarian version of the Ansaldo tankette, on which they put a commander's cupola of all things!:teethhappy:

Would be cool to have these in WoT, but little chance since their guns were even weaker than the original Italian MGs. But one can hope...

Edited by CapturedJoe, Oct 27 2016 - 13:13.

CannedHam91 #22 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 13:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13114 battles
  • [DBIOW] DBIOW

The toxicity in the forums to a simple suggestion is what keeps new players away from the forums and makes it much less likely that they will ask for help or advice.  What is possibly wrong with someone putting forth an idea for discussion?  Sometimes "fresh eyes" come up with ideas and solutions that "old hands" miss because they have become set in their ways.  Sure, new players might bring up a topic that has been discussed to death in the past, and then it is reasonable to tell them that the topic does not need to be discussed.  But to just dismiss this person's idea because he only has 250 battles is demeaning and short sighted.  Isn't there a phrase that says "out of the mouth of babes?"

Verblonde #23 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 14:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15365 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

More tankettes might be fun; the ones we have already are a giggle. WG would need to improve the variety of maps at lower tiers though, otherwise, I suspect more experienced players wouldn't play them more than once or twice - I'm still relatively inexperienced and I already avoid lower tiers due to map tedium.

Re: giving them scary MM; I probably wouldn't, as they would be far too easy to kill with HE higher up the tiers (unless you make them ludicrously fast, in which case most of the current maps wouldn't be terribly suitable, I suspect - the moment you encounter an obstacle, you stop and you're dead)...?

Erin_Mason #24 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 14:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21293 battles
  • [TDF1] TDF1

View PostThe_Dastardly_Canuck_rob, on Oct 27 2016 - 04:40, said:

I suggest you have more then 250 battles before you make suggestions.

Angry much?  We all know you are frustrated because you can't keep a women happy and life is passing the losers like you by, but don't take it out on guys that have some intelligence and are a little better than you.  Just try and understand his suggestion....and don't hold it against him that your life sucks.

Absols_blade #25 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 14:35

Captain

• Players
  • 13635 battles
  • [PWNCE] PWNCE
OP, it's an interesting idea, but as others have said, it's probably best to keep them to low tiers, and give them regular or even lessened MM. There used to be tier five scouts that saw tier ten, and it worked for the meta at the time. However, that time is long gone, and seeing a tier five in a tier ten game is a death sentence nowadays. You might spot a lot if you're lucky, but imagine if this tankette line was the first line someone was to go down, they'd hit tier three and be facing tier eights, yolo rush, die before one minute has passed, and wonder why they couldn't penetrate the enemy's armor. I mean, hell, tier threes with regular guns have trouble with tier fives. Why should something with a machine gun see tier eight (aside from luchs/VK2801). It's an interesting idea, but the uber MM needs to be rethought

iAmEbola #26 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 14:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 10128 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostTheReturned, on Oct 27 2016 - 03:40, said:

I do admit a decent idea however...

Scout match making + 1-3 is bad enough.. Light tanks are meant for spotting and a t5/6 light tank against a t8/10 medium, a lot of the time mediums can do better spotting and they also have better mm and most of the time a better gun/armor.

Second flaw I see is World of tanks is a game which is meant to be fun. People enjoy tanks because you're driving around shooting things and blowing stuff up. the way how you make these "tankettes" sound are nothing but race cars. If people enjoyed fast driving cars they would be playing other games, however this is a tank game for shooting things. Not getting fastest lap time possible

Why not a compromise?

A game mode where these tankettes could be featured.  Like a modified variant of Mario Go Kart?  That might be kinda fun.

I don't think these tankettes could be implemented in the main battle tech trees though.  Plus there are enough LT/Scout in the game that have no idea what they are doing.  Putting more at lower tiers, IMO, would probably do more harm than good.

destroyerdude2003 #27 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 14:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9895 battles
it might be worth a try......maybe it could get tested in the sandbox

krogan1177 #28 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 15:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10817 battles
  • [KROSS] KROSS

View PostKatyuNishizu353, on Oct 27 2016 - 03:54, said:

Lol. On topic though, my suggestions were meant to spark discussion, not anger.

Welcome to the WOT community. 

Yankee #29 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 15:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 32374 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
This reminds me of Mechwarrior 2 players asking for elementals to be added to the game , in 1998...

blackfalconjc #30 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 15:11

Captain

• Players
  • 7372 battles

I can see them as high camo super lights, but only Tier 6 and below. Tier 8-10 the mediums can outspot you any day of the week, and you can't take a hit worth a darn. The super +5 MM doesn't seem a great idea, there are huge issues you'd have with 1 shots by higher tier vehicles due to corridor design maps, which make spotting very difficult.

And the main reason the Italian's haven't made it into the game is a lack of good (non clone) Tier 7-10's, at least according to articles I've seen. 

krogan1177 #31 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 15:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10817 battles
  • [KROSS] KROSS
On the subject. The only problem I see is that most tankettes were meant to fight infantry. The guns would probably seriously under powered. Also most would probably be no higher than tier 3. Now if the were premiums and not a whole new tech tree Wargamming might ad them.

Lucy_Han #32 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 16:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2318 battles

View PostKatyuNishizu353, on Oct 27 2016 - 10:54, said:

Lol. On topic though, my suggestions were meant to spark discussion, not anger.

​From what I can see EVERY thread sparks anger here . . . overall, the touchiest crowd on the internet. Welcome to WoT!

LeaveIT2Beaver #33 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 16:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 26795 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostKatyuNishizu353, on Oct 27 2016 - 04:32, said:

I think Tankettes should get some love in the game. They can be their own class (Italy comes to mind), and fill in the scout role. All countries had 'em (though Italy had the most), so there would be additions to every nation. Matchmaking would be tricky though, as would the weapons/ammo. Some had nothing more than machine guns (which would almost certainly fail to pen anything above T2-3), which means they would strictly be scout vehicles, zooming around the fields like jeeps. Most damage they could possibly do is probably immobilize/track a tank.

Suggestions for the Tankette Class:

- High capacity/Infinite ammo (given that they would most likely be armed with machine guns of no higher caliber than .50)

- Historical speeds or upwards of 60-70kph (since they weigh less than 2-3 tons for some)

- +/- 3-5 Tier matchmaking. These are scouts, enough said. Keep moving or get penned. This is due to the limited models of Tankettes from each nation (aside from Italy). Cap Tankettes at T5 and have them see T9 and T10, as well as T1 and T2. Horrible matchmaking, yes, but these are scouts, you're spotting for your team, not dealing damage.

If you have suggestions, post a comment. If you have a counter-argument, let's hear it. Thanks for reading!

Keep having ideas. It makes the do-nothings jealous and they come out of their hidy-holes :trollface:

Ignore the trolls - the guys who invented Battle Assistant got a wad of ca$h from WG. Keep ideas coming! 

I like it - the ultimate expendable passive scouts Tier 5 or 6 and below.

Give them binocs,camo,and let em go!

%24_1.JPG

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Oct 27 2016 - 16:36.

Verblonde #34 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 16:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15365 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

More things like this in the game would only be fun: http://wiki.wargamin...ank:GB76_Mk_VIC

TheReturned #35 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 19:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15076 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostAwestryker, on Oct 27 2016 - 22:54, said:

All I have played for the last 4 weeks is scouts, in particular the scrawny tier 6 MT-25, tier 6 VK2801 and a smattering of others...only scouts...for 4+ weeks...

Take a look at my recent stats ;)

Scouts can really swing games if you know where to go, know when to be passive and when to go active to flank, and know how to setup your light tank...I will light up meds all day, even several tiers higher...

I understand but what I'm meaning are light's are just mediums with worse mm. tds normally have alpha/dpm. Heavys have armor. Mediums have dpm and view range, lights have view range and I guess camo? Most jobs lights can do mediums can do exactly back but with better mm.

And padding Wn8 in lights don't mean anything, I mean congratz seriously not trying to be rude or anything but lights have increased Wn8 since most often new players (baddies) drive super duper fast and die instantly, and Wn8 for a tank/type doesn't count for anything when comparing

Edited by TheReturned, Oct 27 2016 - 19:46.

FrozenKemp #36 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 19:50

Major

• Players
  • 39469 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR

I don't think this is a great idea, basically because tankettes were bad.  I mean the Italian tankettes would be tier 1 at best.  

L3/35:

Top speed 42km/h

6-14mm of armour

Armed with two MGs

Could do as a tier 1 for an Italian branch, I guess.

KatyuNishizu353 #37 Posted Oct 27 2016 - 21:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 897 battles

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Oct 27 2016 - 16:32, said:

Keep having ideas. It makes the do-nothings jealous and they come out of their hidy-holes :trollface:

Ignore the trolls - the guys who invented Battle Assistant got a wad of ca$h from WG. Keep ideas coming! 

I like it - the ultimate expendable passive scouts Tier 5 or 6 and below.

Give them binocs,camo,and let em go!

%24_1.JPG

Those were my general thoughts. Keep on moving, keep on moving, keep on moving, moving, moving~!

Btw, as OP, I should clarify to those calling me 'him'. I'm a woman (yes, as hard as it is to believe, a woman is on the internet). Capiche??

TheHQ #38 Posted Oct 28 2016 - 18:58

Captain

• Players
  • 28083 battles

...so you expect for WG to make a dedicated scout class... when we already have dedicated scout light tanks that are overmatched by most medium tanks a single tier higher than them in terms of spotting capability...

yeah, it simply wont work here.

haraka #39 Posted Oct 28 2016 - 19:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 47110 battles
kinda sounds cool

krogan1177 #40 Posted Oct 29 2016 - 02:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10817 battles
  • [KROSS] KROSS
Why not just add armoured cars and halftracks while they are at it. Convoy mode was fun, I don't see why they could not make it work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users