Best Tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Vileus #1 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28471 battles
I'm seasoned when it comes to MMO's, but I'm curious if anyone can give me some ideas or advice.  I do well at sniping, I don't mind uncovering enemy tanks, and cheer with glee as a heavy tanks sends it to a fiery death from range. I'm not crazy either I learning that if I do see a tank that is way to powerful for me to engage, I find it best not to give away my position.  I'd like to know what would be the best tank type for me to invest in?

Also could anyone share their insights into the game as to configurations that work, or perhaps things they wish they knew about when they themselves got started?  

Any help is appreciated

Vileus

2Zons #2 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14693 battles
Well you sound like a German driver to me.  Germans have the most accurate guns in the game so if you like long range sniping the Werchmacht are your choice.  The germans also have the best scout in the game, Leopard.  So if you like the idea of running into the enemy base and lighting up thier tanks for your artillery and tank destroyers they are also your choice.  Germans also have the best tier 10 tank in the game the Maus and are soon to get some new powerfull tanks that should be lots of fun to drive.

Some things that I wished I learned earlier when I was playing beta:

Don't forget to take you're crew out of your tank before you sell it.

Use your right moust button to lock your gun in a given direction, so you can look in another direction without changing your gun facing and exposing the side or rear of your turret.  You can also use it to avoid your gun pointing at the sky when you move behind a building.

Once your crew reach 100% train them all in the same skill.  The overal benefit of secondary skills is averaged amongst the whole crew.  So if you have one out of five crew members with 100% in repair you will only get a 20% skill benefit to your tank.  Pick the skill for the tank type.  Personally for mediums: first skill Repair, second, firefighting, and finally camo.
Heavies: first, repair, second camo, then fire fighting.
TD's and SPG's first camo, second repair, then fire.

Hope it helps.

teamSG1 #3 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2892 battles
All the lines have their ups and downs. American tanks typically have worse armor than their German and Russian counterparts, but their turret armor is insane. The Russians have the freaking big guns with their heavys and even mediums and they have some of the fastest tanks. The Germans are a mix of good armor, speed, and armament. As to which line has the best tanks, its really up to you.

Hrothgar59 #4 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5776 battles
I would debate your choice of secondary skills if you choose the German heavy line Fire Fighting is more important than Camo as alot of German tanks have front transmission and these count as engine hitboxes. Transmission on other country's tanks count as tracks.

So it is very easy for opponents to cause a fire from frontal hits on German tanks.

Hihibob #5 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:50

Captain

• Players
  • 3476 battles
Well, the skill thing really helped me. :)

My Sherman has almost 100% crew (some of them) and I was wondering about the first skill I should get. :)

ForcestormX #6 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 01:53

Major

• Players
  • 10420 battles

I would debate your choice of secondary skills if you choose the German heavy line Fire Fighting is more important than Camo as alot of German tanks have front transmission and these count as engine hitboxes. Transmission on other country's tanks count as tracks.

So it is very easy for opponents to cause a fire from frontal hits on German tanks.

Why is that? Also, could that be changed please?

Irrik #7 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 04:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 1166 battles
In what tier?

Really, you can't just say "this nation's tank lines have these properties". They vary wildly from tank to tank.

German TD's are known for being accurate... but they sure aren't in tiers 2-4. Russians are known for having big guns..... but the SU-76 has an excellent super accurate gun with very little hitting power, really. The russian heavy tank line has basically no armor at all right up to tier 5, when all of a sudden a switch is flipped and the KV has 65mm of armor on it's WORST facing.

Assuming you are new, I would say the best choice for premiums seems to be the Lowe. It's accurate, got plenty of armor, is very difficult for low tier tanks to deal with as it has no obvious view slots, machine gun ports, or other weak spots on it's frontal armor.

If you don't want to buy premium tanks, by far the easiest tank to make early money with is the BT-2. Get the MS-1, upgrade it, get the BT-2, upgrade that, and then you can quickly save up for whatever you want. It is not really cost effective, without premium, to upgrade every early tank you get: you want to pick a few GOOD ones, and focus on them, and just grind through the bad tanks with zero upgrades and 50% crew and generally just accept that you will be almost worthless to your team until you get out of them.

Really, for money makers, I would say , Tier 2, BT-2 or Panzer II, tier 3, Marder, M2 medium, or Stuart, tier 4, T-28, panzer III, or T40, tier 5, KV, though Panzer IV is good too if you have way more investment in the German tree. If you "invest" in getting those upgraded, you are in a position to get lots of free exp and money for training to get past some of the really painful tanks.  
I would not worry about playstyle early on. It's much better to have a GOOD tank than a crappy tank that fits your playstyle.

You can snipe with the most inaccurate guns in the game, but you can't really compensate for just having a tank that is bad at everything, and a lot of tanks work out that way. The SU-85b, for example, is terrible on hills because it can't elevate or depress it's gun a reasonable amount, mediocre at long range because it's not that accurate, terrible in close quarters because it has bad armor and poor health, terrible around hard cover as it's gun has so little traverse side to side, and you have to basically reverse out and drive back in again every time you want to peek out and take a shot, and generally bad at everything. No matter how much tank destroyers suit your style, you would be better off not using it to make enough money to buy your first tier 5, even if you want that to be the SU-85.

Valkeiper #8 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 06:28

Major

• Players
  • 8176 battles

View PostHrothgar59, on Aug 04 2011 - 01:49, said:

well, we couldn't have german tanks as tough in this game as they were in real life, could we?

That just wouldn't satisfy the devs' anti-german/pro-soviet bias, would it?

Vileus #9 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 07:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28471 battles
Thanks all for the helpful info.  Didn't mean to start a debate on which tank is the best.  From what I can tell since I looked at all the tanks in the tech menu, they seem to be similar to me.  I read up on the forums and they suggested pick one nation and go with it.  I picked the US.  They seemed to have a decent mix for my tastes.  Although German tanks were hard to turn away from, I know in WW2 they had the best tanks at the start of the war, and what I remember their tanks in the latter half of the war were to be feared as well.  

That removing of crew is a life saver thanks, I returned just before I was to sell off my old med tank for a new one.  I probably would have sold it before realizing they don't return to the barracks, whew!

The other tid bits about secondary crew stats sounds good thank you.  

Vileus

capbeefheart #10 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 08:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 56426 battles
  • [3PZG] 3PZG
I have done all 3 countries with exception to usa heavies and russian mediums .......as said before each country has its ups and downs,  although i think the best to start with is the German line ... theres a real nice mix of just about anything in the german line with less headaches.

I found the USA line the most challenging early on but get better after tier 5

The russian is very solid all the way through but there guns can be all over the place.... but with that said they do the most damage .. also there mediums are very good all the way through

The germans have a nice mix.... very accurate guns with exceptional velocity not quiet the hitting power of the soviet tanks but can make up for it in other areas

hope this helps

Irrik #11 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 19:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 1166 battles

View PostVileus, on Aug 04 2011 - 07:54, said:

Thanks all for the helpful info.  Didn't mean to start a debate on which tank is the best.  From what I can tell since I looked at all the tanks in the tech menu, they seem to be similar to me.  

If you want to compare tanks, there are 3 basic stats that are very important and easy to follow.

The first is armor. The more you have, the better, and medium amounts of armor do very little. So you generally only want armor if it's a large amount for the tier you are in.

The second is gun. Try to pick a tank with a gun option of a higher tier than the tank, ideally, a gun 2 tiers higher than the tank. Like the KV, is a tier 5 tank with tier 7 gun (roman numerals in the tech tree). It is very difficult to be effective with a tank mounting a gun of a lower tier than the tank itself.

and the Third is horespower divided by weight. A 20 ton tank with 300 horsepower has 15hp/ton. That's pretty slow. 15 ton tank with 450 horsepower has 30 horsepower per ton. That's VERY fast.

Those stats are an oversimplification, but until you play with some tanks and figure out what's important and why, that's the easiest way to tell a good tank from a bad tank. You are REALLY going to struggle if you don't learn to plan out your progression, to limit your time spent in bad tanks, and there are some definite bad tanks in the game. Though the Early Americans are fairly solid. Their first 3 TD's are solid, And their tier 2/3 medium and heavy tank lines are both solid.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users