SOLUTION: Enable enemy chat for players with undestroyed tanks

solution enemy chat undestroyed reveal position PvE MMO

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

PeacefulCitizen #1 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 26062 battles

Every attempt to justify the recent decision to remove enemy chat from the game stems from one of two complaints:

1) rudeness

2) assisting the enemy

Removing enemy chat doesn't fix the first complaint because most rude comments come from your teammates..."this team sucks", "why didn't you help me you idiot", "uninstall", "all you [expletive] campers can suck my [expletive!]", "how the [expletive] did you get those [expletive] stats playing like such a [expletive] [expletive] you [expletive] [expletive] coward?!!", etc...

As for the second complaint, treasonous chat does happen on occasion, but it comes almost exclusively from players whose tanks have been destroyed (presumably because they predict a loss and want the game to end faster so they can play another game in the same tank). Preventing dead tanks from communicating with the enemy (but still allowing them to talk to teammates) would pretty much solve the "revealing positions" problem without crippling the online appeal of this game. Plus, I think it would be fun to hunt down annoying enemies in order to silence them.

My current WoT experience feels more PvE than MMO. What other game, online or in real life, prevents you from talking to your opponents? I can't think of any.

Cognitive_Dissonance #2 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 38267 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

Never found any use for cross team chat in this game. Sometimes amusing, mostly toxic nonsense.

Why does the gripe persist "I HAVE to talk to the enemy team to have fun."

Tis a tank game, fighting other players. I don't care what they think or what they have to say on the red team. "Oh I want to say hi" . . . yeah, no, people want cross team chat so they can troll. Period.

Equating a loss of thick skin or the cry baby few imposing their will on you because they are too thin skinned is just a thinly veiled argument that all sadomasochists use to argue why it should stay. Try to make someone look bad, as if they are weak because they are tired of hearing childish drivel from the mouths of those who would rather troll than play.

Without cross team chat, we now only have one channel of troll-dom to deal with. The reduction in drivel by 50% is a welcome relief.

Let.it.go.

dogma73 #3 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:30

Private

• Players
  • 40942 battles
  • [-D1G-] -D1G-
Good Ridance !!!

n4cer67 #4 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:39

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16557 battles
  • [NAAP] NAAP
Glad it's gone.

RushingJaws #5 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:45

Captain

• Players
  • 15283 battles
  • [RUBLE] RUBLE

I refuse to let it go!

I miss mocking enemy arty when they miss me as well as "o7'ing" friends/clannies on the other team. Occasionally I'd get drunk, load up the Maus, and spout comedic nonsense in all chat. Now, none of those options are available to me.

It bothers me more that WG decided to just do the lazy solution and block all chat due to issues on a completely different server, rather than think up something more creative. If you don't think lazy solutions are a problem, you must approve of their map design philosophy and the latest round of premium tanks as well.

Karl__Childers #6 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11001 battles
And they can stop the dead from talking to their own team too as far as I'm concerned...

CheekiBreeki_ #7 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:46

Major

• Banned
  • 40355 battles
Or enable all chat and actuslly use the strike system OR improve the reporting system

Cognitive_Dissonance #8 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:47

Major

• Players
  • 38267 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostKarl__Childers, on Nov 02 2016 - 10:45, said:

And they can stop the dead from talking to their own team too as far as I'm concerned...

Now that is an idea I can get behind.

Cognitive_Dissonance #9 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:48

Major

• Players
  • 38267 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostRushingJaws, on Nov 02 2016 - 10:45, said:

I refuse to let it go!

I miss mocking enemy arty when they miss me as well as "o7'ing" friends/clannies on the other team. Occasionally I'd get drunk, load up the Maus, and spout comedic nonsense in all chat. Now, none of those options are available to me.

It bothers me more that WG decided to just do the lazy solution and block all chat due to issues on a completely different server, rather than think up something more creative. If you don't think lazy solutions are a problem, you must approve of their map design philosophy and the latest round of premium tanks as well.

I miss those things too, but that was a very small portion of what mostly came across. Lazy or not, I am definitely enjoying the game more now.

ExploratorOne #10 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 17:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13226 battles
Remember that there was an in-game survey that determined the decision.  A very small percentage of the player base visits the forums so, WG asked the players directly...

PeacefulCitizen #11 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 26062 battles

View PostSmirkingGerbil, on Nov 02 2016 - 16:24, said:

Never found any use for cross team chat in this game. Sometimes amusing, mostly toxic nonsense.

Why does the gripe persist "I HAVE to talk to the enemy team to have fun."

Tis a tank game, fighting other players. I don't care what they think or what they have to say on the red team. "Oh I want to say hi" . . . yeah, no, people want cross team chat so they can troll. Period.

Equating a loss of thick skin or the cry baby few imposing their will on you because they are too thin skinned is just a thinly veiled argument that all sadomasochists use to argue why it should stay. Try to make someone look bad, as if they are weak because they are tired of hearing childish drivel from the mouths of those who would rather troll than play.

Without cross team chat, we now only have one channel of troll-dom to deal with. The reduction in drivel by 50% is a welcome relief.

Let.it.go.

Can you answer the question in my original post? 

What other game, online or in real life, prevents you from talking to your opponents?

Just because YOU don't appreciate cross team chat doesn't mean the rest of us should be restricted. What if WG added a "Disable chat with enemies" option similar to "Disable chat with allies"? Would that make you happy?

Dratt_Dastardly #12 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:12

Major

• Players
  • 28181 battles

Dead or alive, makes no difference.  A living teammate can report on positions too and carry-on like a greiving dead one.

The only good thing from global chat was the hellos, nice shots, and the platoon requests.  And in all honesty, you can do the same after the battle via PM.  

PeacefulCitizen #13 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 26062 battles

View PostDratt_Dastardly, on Nov 02 2016 - 17:12, said:

Dead or alive, makes no difference.  A living teammate can report on positions too and carry-on like a greiving dead one.

The only good thing from global chat was the hellos, nice shots, and the platoon requests.  And in all honesty, you can do the same after the battle via PM.  

"A living teammate can report on positions" (to the enemy), while true, just doesn't happen. Living teammates are too busy driving their tanks. After they get blown up, however, they rage in chat. Take that away and the problem is solved. Let's fix real problems, not theoretical ones.

I have never seen a living teammate report the position of another teammate to the enemy. Have you? And if so, how often?

Cognitive_Dissonance #14 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:23

Major

• Players
  • 38267 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostPeacefulCitizen, on Nov 02 2016 - 11:11, said:

Can you answer the question in my original post? 

What other game, online or in real life, prevents you from talking to your opponents?

Just because YOU don't appreciate cross team chat doesn't mean the rest of us should be restricted. What if WG added a "Disable chat with enemies" option similar to "Disable chat with allies"? Would that make you happy?

Sure easy peezy.

Was an avid Rainbow Six player for years. The community could run their own servers, I ran one also. Many of these servers by default disabled it. It was a team player game, meaning the people immediately within your team, not a Facebook game so that we could chat with the enemy.

Also ran my Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead servers, as did many others. Most of them had cross chat off.

DCS combat, by Eagle Dynamics, another Multiplayer game with an avid fanbase that also runs their own servers, again, cross team chat disabled.

But yeah, I could get behind your suggestion, but you reminded me of something, wouldn't the option similar to "Receive Messages from Contact List", work just as well for in game cross chat if programed for that? That way like RushingJaws mentioned, we could still enjoy some smack talk with friends, yet avoid the trolls?

Lowlife334 #15 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 13705 battles
  • [-Y-] -Y-

View PostSmirkingGerbil, on Nov 02 2016 - 10:24, said:

Says you.  You know what happens now?  More people just send private messages to people that piss them off after the game.  Everyone still gets to listen to people making themselves look bad, we all just have to close annoying popups now.

Dratt_Dastardly #16 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:28

Major

• Players
  • 28181 battles

View PostPeacefulCitizen, on Nov 02 2016 - 12:22, said:

"A living teammate can report on positions" (to the enemy), while true, just doesn't happen. Living teammates are too busy driving their tanks. After they get blown up, however, they rage in chat. Take that away and the problem is solved. Let's fix real problems, not theoretical ones.

I have never seen a living teammate report the position of another teammate to the enemy. Have you? And if so, how often?

I have seen living teammates report on friendlies before.  Usually because they don't approve on someone's gameplay.  Usually aggressive players that disagree with artillery or passive scouts.

Cognitive_Dissonance #17 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 38267 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostLowlife334, on Nov 02 2016 - 11:28, said:

Says you.  You know what happens now?  More people just send private messages to people that piss them off after the game.  Everyone still gets to listen to people making themselves look bad, we all just have to close annoying popups now.

30K games, and I think this has happened to me literally 30 times. Sometimes I talk to them, most times I just blacklist. two button clicks, done.

Lowlife334 #18 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 13705 battles
  • [-Y-] -Y-

View PostSmirkingGerbil, on Nov 02 2016 - 11:30, said:

30K games, and I think this has happened to me literally 30 times. Sometimes I talk to them, most times I just blacklist. two button clicks, done.

Oh don't worry, the removal of all chat is a new 'feature' and I assure you it will pick up.

PeacefulCitizen #19 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 26062 battles

View PostDratt_Dastardly, on Nov 02 2016 - 17:28, said:

I have seen living teammates report on friendlies before.  Usually because they don't approve on someone's gameplay.  Usually aggressive players that disagree with artillery or passive scouts.

How often?

PeacefulCitizen #20 Posted Nov 02 2016 - 18:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 26062 battles

View PostSmirkingGerbil, on Nov 02 2016 - 17:23, said:

Sure easy peezy.

Was an avid Rainbow Six player for years. The community could run their own servers, I ran one also. Many of these servers by default disabled it. It was a team player game, meaning the people immediately within your team, not a Facebook game so that we could chat with the enemy.

Also ran my Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead servers, as did many others. Most of them had cross chat off.

DCS combat, by Eagle Dynamics, another Multiplayer game with an avid fanbase that also runs their own servers, again, cross team chat disabled.

But yeah, I could get behind your suggestion, but you reminded me of something, wouldn't the option similar to "Receive Messages from Contact List", work just as well for in game cross chat if programed for that? That way like RushingJaws mentioned, we could still enjoy some smack talk with friends, yet avoid the trolls?

All of those examples are personal servers, which were set up with that option. WG is not giving us an option. Tell me what game prevents you from chatting with your opponents as an integral, unchangeable part of the game?

Also tagged with solution, enemy, chat, undestroyed, reveal, position, PvE, MMO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users