Maximizing Your Arty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

knaT_sdrawkcaB #1 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 16:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13416 battles
You can read many posts on the Forum about how to avoid being hit by Arty in your tank.  While this is important, there are other things you can do related to Arty to help your team win.  The guide may also help you out of some tight spots yourself.  Hopefully using these tactics, the other team will be the ones screaming about OP Arty at the end of the match.

Notice I keep referring to them below as Your Arty.  Think of them as Yours.  Think of them as the baseball bat you bring to the fist fight.  Use them as a tool to help you out of tough situations where you are trapped or overmatched.   Use them to win more matches.  They want to blow things up and want to help… they just need to be given the opportunity.  

We all know the serious firepower Arty possesses, and we know given enough time a T5+ Arty is dangerous to any tank in the game.   Your team has a much better chance to win when the Arty is effective.  Three important things to remember are:

1. A dead Arty is no help.
2. A blind Arty cannot reliably hit targets.
3. A target behind cover is impossible to hit

As a tank you can make a difference in all three of these points.  Here are some suggestions of things you can do as a tank to help.

At the beginning of the match:
These may seem obvious, but as an Arty driver I can tell you they are frequently a problem.

1. When the match starts take pains to avoid running into the Arty on your team as they try to get under cover.  There are about 45 seconds or less before the fastest tank on the other team can realistically get to your team’s side of the map.  If Arty is not under cover by then they are at serious risk of a quick death.  Arty can be completely exposed quickly on open maps like Arctic Region (East side) if they do not get away fast.  

2. Do not let fast light and medium tanks through.  Too often every tank and TD on your team goes right or left leaving the other team a wide open avenue up the middle to attack your team’s Arty.  A smart fast tank on the other team will wait thirty seconds before making their suicide run, giving your team plenty of time to get out of the way.  It is important to always have a tank near the base for defense during the first minute of the match to guard against this.  If you lose three Arty in the first minute it will be tough to win the match.

During the match:
These are not as obvious as the ones above.  I know I get caught up in the battle immediately around me and often forget about the Arty support I have.  If you can remember these you will be able to make a much bigger difference in the success of your team.

1. Shoot the Tracks – Arty love stationary tanks.  If you have a Tank/TD on the other team (especially a higher tier one) out in the open and time to line up the shot, always shoot at the tracks.  Yes, you may be able to do 10% damage to the tank if you hit it in a vulnerable spot, but your Arty can potentially do much more and you will still have another shot at the tank if it is stopped.  

2. Light up the other team – Your Arty can’t hit what they can’t see.  Often you know generally where a tank on the other team is, but are afraid to poke your nose out to take a look.  Your team’s Arty is watching the mini-map looking for targets.  If the tank you are hiding from can’t be seen on the mini-map, your Arty are not going to be able to help you.  Pinging the map is not enough information to hit an invisible tank.  Take a quick look to light them up and get back under cover.

3. Know your Arty’s limitations – It takes approximately 30 seconds for Arty to reload.  Things on the field move at a much faster pace.  You may not have the ability to keep the other team at bay for 30 seconds during reload.  If the other team is coming and is obviously going to overpower you, go into survival mode instead of suicide mode.  The longer you stay alive the longer they are lit up.  The Arty may even take them out before they get to you.  You may even sacrifice yourself, but the Arty takes out your attackers in the meantime winning the match.  Win = more experience.

4. Lure Tanks Out – A tank behind good cover cannot be hit even when they are lit up.  Tanks love to play peek-a-boo though.  It takes a very patient tank driver to not expose themselves when knowing a tank is just around the corner.  Stay back and tease them out of their cover.  Let them think if they just move out a little more they will have a shot at you.  Your Arty are often waiting at the corner for the tank to make a mistake.  The moment they come out too far they will probably get popped.  The back side of hills serves as good cover.  Sand River is a great example of this.  Luring the other team’s tanks over the sand dunes is the same as luring them around the corner of a building.

5. (thanks Moonrider) - Do not Facehug (rub up against the enemy tanks) if you can help it.  Your Arty is (typically) not going to take the shot if you are too close to the enemy tank.  We do not want to damage our own team.  Instead, track the enemy and find some cover to shoot from.  If you are that close, the enemy Arty can see you also and will be gunning for you.  The best scenario is you win the Hug-off and the enemy Arty shoots you as soon as the other tank is destroyed.  The worst scenario, your team's Arty doesn't care how close you are and accidentally shoots you while trying to hit the enemy.

After the match:
Rest assured your team’s Arty was trying.  Some matches it is like my crew was passing a joint around before it started.  They couldn’t hit a building on Himmelsdorf if they wanted to.  Arty hits about 40% of the time which means some matches they will hit 1 out of 10 shots.  Other matches they will hit 8 out of 10 shots.  It happens in tanks too… sometimes you will bounce every shot.  It is just really obvious when Arty is missing because it typically means your team loses.  Try to keep your temper and realize everyone has bad games… and often a bad game from Arty happens when they don’t have the opportunities described in the guide above.

Please post your other suggestions below so I can add them.  

Thanks for reading,
knaT

P.S. Vote For My Ridiculous Poem Here!

the_ripper #2 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 17:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 55357 battles
  • [TAM2C] TAM2C
Nice list!...

I do have 2 artys on my garage and started WOT as one, now I am playing as tanker also.  Although your list is very complete I may add a few comments:

1. For tankers:Always spread out 1 or 2 squares IN FRONT of your arty.  This gives time (in lower tiers and fast light runners), to destroy those deadly initial attacks.  I have seen heavy tanks and TD´s hidding BEHIND arty post...not good! :Smile-hiding:

2. These goes for ARTY: focus on those tanks that are potencially dangerous for your team NOT THE EASY kills.  Only chose lights and meds when they are a risk for the base or the arty post.  Yes, I know we all like to have kills during battle, but arty can provide  better chances for the whole team, killing that Maus or damaging it beyond defense.  :Smile-izmena:

3. KNOW as tanker, your artys advantages/disadvantages or limitations: russian arty tends to have limited range, thus forcing them to go more exposed to front lines.  Some are faster reloaders..others take forever. some are slow movers...etc.  So those initial suicide rushes to the enemy base....not worth it, unless you want your scout medal  <_<

4. As arty, I have TK like 4 times, so ALWAYS use your "T" key to mark attacking tank...that way your team knows that there may be splashes if they get to near! :Smile-izmena:

Cheers!

Ironmonger69 #3 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles

View PostknaT_sdrawkcaB, on Aug 04 2011 - 16:34, said:

4. Lure Tanks Out – A tank behind good cover cannot be hit even when they are lit up.  Tanks love to play peek-a-boo though.  It takes a very patient tank driver to not expose themselves when knowing a tank is just around the corner.  Stay back and tease them out of their cover.  Let them think if they just move out a little more they will have a shot at you.  Your Arty are often waiting at the corner for the tank to make a mistake.  The moment they come out too far they will probably get popped.

The back side of hills serves as good cover.  Sand River is a great example of this.  Luring the other team’s tanks over the sand dunes is the same as luring them around the corner of a building.

That can't be emphasized enough.  The cliffs are another good example of broad blind spots that arty can't hit.  The hill on the east side is superb cover from arty, and tanks always get into slugging matches on the other side.  I've been blasted so often for "doing nothing" when you can't possibly hit the enemy, and can't possibly get over there in time to do anything other than die anyway.  I tell them to back up and draw them forward, they just spew more garbage and die.

Tankers need to learn to withdraw in this game, whether for arty or not.  Giving up ground isn't losing the match; it's buying your team time and improving your tactical situation.

_ccr_ #4 Posted Aug 04 2011 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28724 battles

View PostIronmonger69, on Aug 04 2011 - 17:05, said:

That can't be emphasized enough.  The cliffs are another good example of broad blind spots that arty can't hit.  The hill on the east side is superb cover from arty, and tanks always get into slugging matches on the other side.  I've been blasted so often for "doing nothing" when you can't possibly hit the enemy, and can't possibly get over there in time to do anything other than die anyway.  I tell them to back up and draw them forward, they just spew more garbage and die.

Tankers need to learn to withdraw in this game, whether for arty or not.  Giving up ground isn't losing the match; it's buying your team time and improving your tactical situation.

Great point..!

lofar_dog #5 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 07:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 10557 battles
Well written and reassuring, kcaB.  Your comments are right on the mark.  Since I lack the manual keyboard dexterity needed for fast maneuuver, arty allows me to play an occasional satisfying game.  Hopefully your remarks will help improve the support that arty can provide.

I've done maybe 300 games as arty.  In all those games, I recall seeing ONE time, the comment: "someone needs to stay back to protect arty".  I generally try to get behind some tanks & TD's - not only for the protection, but also to take advantage of their spotting efforts.  All too often though, it seems like the friendlies  near me attended the Stevie Wonder School of Gunnery"; eneny lights pour through the line like water through a sieve.

I greatly enjoyed your comment:  "Rest assured your team’s Arty was trying. Some matches it is like my crew was passing a joint around before it started. They couldn’t hit a building on Himmelsdorf if they wanted to.".  I thought maybe it was just me - that perhaps I had a spastic colon or something.  But now I know - it happens to us all.  Thanks for the words.

6_Demon_Bag #6 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 05:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24058 battles
  • [ZOSO] ZOSO
Also keep in mind that just because the arty on your team has no kills doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. Some game I have 4 kills others I have 6 or 7 damaged. Generally speaking is a tank falls below 15% I leave it for the tanks to finish off. Unless its trying to cap or endangering our cap. (or hes about to drive down my throat)

NoblePlatoon #7 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 15:56

Captain

• Players
  • 16690 battles
My primary tank is an SPG. This is an excellent post, with many equally excellent responses. I have found that in high tiered games, the team that helps protect me to the end has the best chance of winning.

What bigbadwolf667 said is so true. I will hammer most high-tiered tanks down to barely any life, then move on to the next (assuming that other tanks are trying to finish him off). I don't waste time on kills, unless there is nobody near the enemy to kill him. It is frustrating to hear my team complain about the "useless arty" who has not killed anyone, when my style is what gives our team the best chance to win. But then, I understand most players don't think like an SPG operator...thank goodness I am thick-skinned.

Also, please keep in mind that I won't waste shots on speeding light tanks, or even stationary ones if a heavy is open for me to hit.

ParaGod #8 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 17:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3479 battles
I agree 100%.  I am tired of watching the tanks go in and not trying to lure the tanks out so we can hit them.  I wish more tankers read this.  I could go on about all the gripes I hear about how arty sucks, but I won't, I am sure everybody here has heard it all.

ObenFridge #9 Posted Aug 15 2011 - 06:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 1964 battles
another thing, i'm also primarily an artilleryman now, used to be mainly a TD driver, but i learned this quickly, don't flood us with targets, just point out the serious threads, like the OP said, it can take up to a minute for some of us to reload

Haplo013 #10 Posted Aug 15 2011 - 12:35

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 29934 battles
One of the latest issues is without tracers we must have our team spot targets for us.  In many of the games these spotted targets are destroyed long before i can finish zeroing in on them which usually means we are winning but for people to complain about arty in such matchs is annoying.  We require time or luck to hit our targets (and usually require both).  This has been an excellent post.   :Smile_honoring:

Tom_Voke #11 Posted Aug 15 2011 - 16:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14674 battles
I'm playing a lot of arty now and find it fun. Thanks for the post and hopefully many will read it.

u2eZ #12 Posted Aug 16 2011 - 05:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 1344 battles
Nyce Post. Hope alot of people read this. Especially Arty users as I dont think most really look for this as well. +1

airbornebob #13 Posted Aug 16 2011 - 13:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 29935 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
...and for the lickety split lights out there that like to jack rabbit out and light up the other side...wait until Arty is set up and ready...or the only thing we see is your burning hulk out there, and the fading red spots where the enemy WAS!  :(

Kornkob #14 Posted Aug 16 2011 - 13:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 1418 battles
^  

This.  I'm pretty damn new and I see that behavior alot.   Often followed by someone in the chat window asking why arty didn't kill anything.  

Because I'm still moving to a hide and haven't locked my turret yet, Speedy Gonzalez.

John_D #15 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 13:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14469 battles
Thanks for the info.  Don't know how many times I've seen those fast buggers run right up the middle.

Moonrider #16 Posted Aug 20 2011 - 05:47

Major

• Players
  • 35554 battles
One more to add: Please don't facehug if you can avoid it. We're trying to help you out, but I'm NOT going to take the shot if you're right next to a target. I'll key to let you know I'm targeted. If you want help, then back off so I can avoid killing YOU by accident.

John_D #17 Posted Aug 22 2011 - 14:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14469 battles
Great information, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users