fair Play Mods

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

___crazy_horse___ #261 Posted Dec 02 2016 - 21:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20667 battles

View PostInsurrectional_Leftist, on Nov 15 2016 - 21:33, said:

I understand what you're saying exactly.  And I get what you're trying to say.  However, In my case, I consider it an honor to be "focused".  Really.  It dose not bother me a bit.  Not at all.  It must mean I'm doing something right?  I don't have a problem with it.  And I don't understand why the Purples do?  If your really that good, and your not padded, then be proud of it, and wear it well. Be proud.  Play like it.  Wear it like an honor.  Don't cry about it.  Don't ask for special protections.  I'm dead serious about that statement.

I pretty much go along with this. Sometimes I get focused on and killed quickly but it's often because I did something stupid and I just try to do better next time.I used to get mad at my team more but I find it more useful to focus on what I could have done differently as long as it wasn't just a complete team fail.

Often when they focus on me it's arty and even when they were using cheat mods I just laughed because the trick to arty is to stay shielded or don't stop and don't move predictably. I often drive like a crazy person just to make arty miss. If they (any type) are focusing on me I can often use skill to delay them enough (or draw them out) so that even bad teammates can take advantage of them... otherwise I'm probably not playing smart and deserved to get whacked.

On the flip side I will go months without using any mods (xvm included) and I just play my game. I don't worry about who is good or not and it works out just fine.

The bottom line is just keep learning and getting better. If yer good most of this stuff don't really matter all that much. I only put on xvm from time to time so I can sort of pay attn to the MM trends and type of players I'm being saddled with or against.

just as a PS I still miss cross team chat. I liked to taunt arty and get them to keep shooting at me and missing... if they're missing me they aren't killing my team.

the_Deadly_Bulb #262 Posted Dec 02 2016 - 22:32

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Good point crazy_horse, and well put by Insurrectional_Leftist

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Dec 03 2016 - 02:02.

Apache1990 #263 Posted Dec 02 2016 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 35544 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 02 2016 - 15:20, said:

My question is why would you run this type of mod? Ive never had the 'fog' conceal anyone. With the VR set at 445 m max and 564 m Draw Range its not like the fog makes things hard to see anyway.

It can look nicer on some maps.

Cognitive_Dissonance #264 Posted Dec 02 2016 - 23:37

Major

• Players
  • 40641 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 02 2016 - 14:20, said:

I sure couldn't say for certain, WG probably wont either. If it is 'modifying the environment', and they can tell you're using it to your advantage you'll likely get banned for it.

My question is why would you run this type of mod? Ive never had the 'fog' conceal anyone. With the VR set at 445 m max and 564 m Draw Range its not like the fog makes things hard to see anyway.

I like because everything is bright and sunny, I also turn off clouds, because clouds scudding across the sky constantly drives me nuts. I also turn off tree sway, drives me nuts.

I turn off all three, as all three give you FPS increase, but I am running 75 to 115 FPS with most everything on max or ultra, so really it is due to things that drive me nuts, and I like maps bright and sunny.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil, Dec 02 2016 - 23:38.

Insurrectional_Leftist #265 Posted Dec 02 2016 - 23:53

Major

• Players
  • 46751 battles

View Post___crazy_horse___, on Dec 02 2016 - 20:44, said:

I pretty much go along with this. Sometimes I get focused on and killed quickly but it's often because I did something stupid and I just try to do better next time.I used to get mad at my team more but I find it more useful to focus on what I could have done differently as long as it wasn't just a complete team fail.

Often when they focus on me it's arty and even when they were using cheat mods I just laughed because the trick to arty is to stay shielded or don't stop and don't move predictably. I often drive like a crazy person just to make arty miss. If they (any type) are focusing on me I can often use skill to delay them enough (or draw them out) so that even bad teammates can take advantage of them... otherwise I'm probably not playing smart and deserved to get whacked.

On the flip side I will go months without using any mods (xvm included) and I just play my game. I don't worry about who is good or not and it works out just fine.

The bottom line is just keep learning and getting better. If yer good most of this stuff don't really matter all that much. I only put on xvm from time to time so I can sort of pay attn to the MM trends and type of players I'm being saddled with or against.

just as a PS I still miss cross team chat. I liked to taunt arty and get them to keep shooting at me and missing... if they're missing me they aren't killing my team.

I agree with what you just said completely.  And that's a very positive outlook on it to be totally honest.  Getting focused doesn't mean your doing something wrong all the time, it means that your a threat and people realize it.  If this were truly a real war, with real things at stake with equal forces opposing then yea, I could see the argument of removing XVM.  But, this is a game.  They are trying to keep a some level field for all the players to keep everyone playing, because it is "A Game".  And they need other players, for the game to function, or else the model will fall apart.

I'm the worst critic around the place sometimes, at pointing things out in that dept.  And I know that.  But, a loud as my bark is sometimes, you'll would find I'm actually so incredibly fair, liberally progressive towards, helping others up in a game, or trying to defending the "Lowly"..... I think drive me nuts are the one's that I see just like you do who do awful things to condem the team, when its "So, unavoidable"  ... Then even I go off once in a while.

Last night, the physics caused my Skorpian to over on its side, I was only able to get 1 shot off to defend my self before the enemy came and got me.  The whole time I keep pinging the map, and type in chat help me up.  That drove around me, 6 of them, and deliberately would not tip me back over. When it was so easy to do so.  It was so uncalled for.  The team needed that tank so badly. I begged them, and all the did was insulted. It was incredible.  You should have been there. I got the replay if you want to see it enough to make you angry.

There is no team work at all..... Its just gone.  There used to be more team work.  There's not anymore.  They're just chasing that damage, that's it.  And that's sad, the damage has Trumped Team work.  And that is a death Nail. :(

Edited by Insurrectional_Leftist, Dec 02 2016 - 23:55.

the_Deadly_Bulb #266 Posted Dec 03 2016 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostApache1990, on Dec 02 2016 - 22:35, said:

It can look nicer on some maps.

View PostSmirkingGerbil, on Dec 02 2016 - 22:37, said:

I like because everything is bright and sunny, I also turn off clouds, because clouds scudding across the sky constantly drives me nuts. I also turn off tree sway, drives me nuts.

I turn off all three, as all three give you FPS increase, but I am running 75 to 115 FPS with most everything on max or ultra, so really it is due to things that drive me nuts, and I like maps bright and sunny.

Thanks. Good enough reasons for using it, never occurred to me but that's nothing new.

the_Deadly_Bulb #267 Posted Dec 03 2016 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostInsurrectional_Leftist, on Dec 02 2016 - 22:53, said:

I agree with what you just said completely.  And that's a very positive outlook on it to be totally honest.  Getting focused doesn't mean your doing something wrong all the time, it means that your a threat and people realize it.  If this were truly a real war, with real things at stake with equal forces opposing then yea, I could see the argument of removing XVM.  But, this is a game.  They are trying to keep a some level field for all the players to keep everyone playing, because it is "A Game".  And they need other players, for the game to function, or else the model will fall apart.

I'm the worst critic around the place sometimes, at pointing things out in that dept.  And I know that.  But, a loud as my bark is sometimes, you'll would find I'm actually so incredibly fair, liberally progressive towards, helping others up in a game, or trying to defending the "Lowly"..... I think drive me nuts are the one's that I see just like you do who do awful things to condem the team, when its "So, unavoidable"  ... Then even I go off once in a while.

Last night, the physics caused my Skorpian to over on its side, I was only able to get 1 shot off to defend my self before the enemy came and got me.  The whole time I keep pinging the map, and type in chat help me up.  That drove around me, 6 of them, and deliberately would not tip me back over. When it was so easy to do so.  It was so uncalled for.  The team needed that tank so badly. I begged them, and all the did was insulted. It was incredible.  You should have been there. I got the replay if you want to see it enough to make you angry.

There is no team work at all..... Its just gone.  There used to be more team work.  There's not anymore.  They're just chasing that damage, that's it.  And that's sad, the damage has Trumped Team work.  And that is a death Nail. :(

Teamwork is quite lacking in pubs. That's another reason I like to have XVM. While it can be used to 'snipe' its also nice to know who are the best members of your team to support, especially when you're coming in on the bottom tier. I try to support the players who (seemingly by their stats) do more damage historically. Who better to support, the 'toon of tomato top tier heavies hiding in sniping spots, or the group of blueberry mediums and lights heading to flank the enemy heavies? I may be wrong occasionally, but usually its best to leave the tomatoes for soup.

I'm not surprised that no one thought to tip you back either. As you said that would be in the spirit of teamwork. That's not part of the damage farmers vocab. While they're flipping you back (and adding another gun to their team) they could have been shooting someone and building their damage total for that round. XVM as you know doesn't care about teamwork. Spotting, capping and armour sharing and helping flipped team mates won't improve your WN8 so the stat obsessed won't bother with such trivial details.

Apache1990 #268 Posted Dec 03 2016 - 08:20

Major

• Players
  • 35544 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 02 2016 - 20:22, said:

While they're flipping you back (and adding another gun to their team) they could have been shooting someone and building their damage total for that round. XVM as you know doesn't care about teamwork. Spotting, capping and armour sharing and helping flipped team mates won't improve your WN8 so the stat obsessed won't bother with such trivial details.

Win rate is a stat that is improved by doing all those things, when appropriate (often the allies in the best position to help safely and quickly are oblivious; but driving back yourself could compromise your team's strength when an enemy push moves in)

the_Deadly_Bulb #269 Posted Dec 04 2016 - 20:35

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostApache1990, on Dec 03 2016 - 07:20, said:

Win rate is a stat that is improved by doing all those things, when appropriate (often the allies in the best position to help safely and quickly are oblivious; but driving back yourself could compromise your team's strength when an enemy push moves in)

That is certainly true, however that is not what Insurrectional_Leftist provided as an example. Six team mates drove past him (around him) so its not like they had to drive 'back' anywhere.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Dec 04 2016 - 20:36.

Apache1990 #270 Posted Dec 04 2016 - 20:40

Major

• Players
  • 35544 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Dec 04 2016 - 14:35, said:

That is certainly true, however that is not what Insurrectional_Leftist provided as an example. Six team mates drove past him (around him) so its not like they had to drive 'back' anywhere.

Well, they're just incompetent, :­P.

sailorboy7982 #271 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 10:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22093 battles
  • [STB1] STB1

View PostMapleOne, on Nov 15 2016 - 22:22, said:

Thanks, never had to before, but after 6 games in a row where people either kill me on purpose or track me for the fun of it...I'm gonna start reporting people.

Yes, but you will get the reply that it is unnecessary because the game automatically does it.

Da_Mangler #272 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 17:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22999 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL

View PostGhostPrime, on Nov 15 2016 - 19:48, said:

Hello Tankers,

Many of you have had questions about this policy so far. We gathered your questions from here, and other places and these are the responses we received from HQ. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. 

Question: The ability to lock onto a target that isn’t highlighted, is that illegal?

• Answer: This is now considered a cheat.

Question: Why not just get rid of all mods?

• Answer: We love mods, we just find some of the mods functions create an unfair advantage, which is why you’ll see us talking about functionality instead of specific mods.

Question: Can Wargaming ban me without giving reason and/or evidence?

• Answer: When we ban someone for using cheats, we state in the message that a forbidden game function was used. We don’t provide any details on when a player was detected or what kind of cheat was detected because we don’t want to compromise our detection methods. It’s actually a widespread thing in the gaming industry – for example, VAC bans work in a similar way.

Question: Why not just ban people outright for using cheats?

• Answer: Striking down the hammer is permanent. We want to give people an opportunity to course correct and continue to enjoy World of Tanks

Question: When will the cheat detection system start working?

• Answer: It is up and running

Question: Do Warnings/Bans/Points on your account ever get removed or reset?

• Answer: It's 2 strikes and you’re out. For the first offense, the player gets a 7-day ban, for the 2nd – permaban. There are no plans to reset flags over a time period for now.

Question: Is Arty Battle Assist still approved by Wargaming to use?

• Answer: Yes, we’re still okay with it.

Question: What about the function that shows and calculates Camo and detectability rating in-game?

• Answer: This is currently under consideration

Question: Can we use mods that change the color of destroyed tanks?

• Answer: Yes, you can use mods that change the color of destroyed tanks.

Question: Can I use a mod that allows me to zoom out more?

• Answer: Yes, you can use a mod which allows you to zoom out further from your own tank.

Question: Are reload timers illegal?
Answer: Yes.

Please let us know of any further questions you may have in this thread.

So you spent time and resources on this when all you really needed close access for anyone other that yourselves to code your product.  If it isn't your code it should not be part of the game; period!

Tolos #273 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 18:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostDa_Mangler, on Dec 05 2016 - 16:40, said:

So you spent time and resources on this when all you really needed close access for anyone other that yourselves to code your product.  If it isn't your code it should not be part of the game; period!

And if it wasnt for legal mods we wouldnt have a crap ton of the stuff we have now. Stop thinking in absolutes.

terrortrain #274 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 18:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 24 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on Nov 15 2016 - 19:48, said:

Hello Tankers,

Many of you have had questions about this policy so far. We gathered your questions from here, and other places and these are the responses we received from HQ. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. 

Question: The ability to lock onto a target that isn’t highlighted, is that illegal?

• Answer: This is now considered a cheat.

Question: Why not just get rid of all mods?

• Answer: We love mods, we just find some of the mods functions create an unfair advantage, which is why you’ll see us talking about functionality instead of specific mods.

Question: Can Wargaming ban me without giving reason and/or evidence?

• Answer: When we ban someone for using cheats, we state in the message that a forbidden game function was used. We don’t provide any details on when a player was detected or what kind of cheat was detected because we don’t want to compromise our detection methods. It’s actually a widespread thing in the gaming industry – for example, VAC bans work in a similar way.

Question: Why not just ban people outright for using cheats?

• Answer: Striking down the hammer is permanent. We want to give people an opportunity to course correct and continue to enjoy World of Tanks 

Question: When will the cheat detection system start working?

• Answer: It is up and running

Question: Do Warnings/Bans/Points on your account ever get removed or reset?

• Answer: It's 2 strikes and you’re out. For the first offense, the player gets a 7-day ban, for the 2nd – permaban. There are no plans to reset flags over a time period for now.

Question: Is Arty Battle Assist still approved by Wargaming to use?

• Answer: Yes, we’re still okay with it.

Question: What about the function that shows and calculates Camo and detectability rating in-game?

• Answer: This is currently under consideration

Question: Can we use mods that change the color of destroyed tanks?

• Answer: Yes, you can use mods that change the color of destroyed tanks.

Question: Can I use a mod that allows me to zoom out more?

• Answer: Yes, you can use a mod which allows you to zoom out further from your own tank.

Question: Are reload timers illegal?
Answer: Yes.

Please let us know of any further questions you may have in this thread. 

Talk about unfair,last battle and tier 2 I pull up to a window looking at an open area some jerk on my team pulls right behind me and pushes my tank to the window,other team shooting at me as he rams n pushes me forward this is like the first  10 seconds of the game.so I turn with m2 lite hit him with a burst like 6 times and I'm suspended as  he trolls the next guy.sadly this idiot will be doing it and getting away. wargaming wont view the video to see .but mr xxx is the guilty 1 not me

Da_Mangler #275 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 19:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22999 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL

View PostTolos, on Dec 05 2016 - 17:24, said:

And if it wasnt for legal mods we wouldnt have a crap ton of the stuff we have now. Stop thinking in absolutes.

Closing the code off does not mean that innovations desired by the players ends.  If players request a change in the game that the devs agree enhances the game; they do it and make it part of the game.  It comes from the inside, so it's not illegal.  Some players would like to see a session summary available for battles played during that session, or filterable for any period; seems reasonable to me, I think WG should do it and make it part of the game.  Some players want to have auto-aim to enemy tanks across the map that they can't see, which I would say isn't right.  The devs look at both and decide for each one on it's own merits; good or not good. Done

Tolos #276 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 19:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostDa_Mangler, on Dec 05 2016 - 18:01, said:

Closing the code off does not mean that innovations desired by the players ends.  If players request a change in the game that the devs agree enhances the game; they do it and make it part of the game.  It comes from the inside, so it's not illegal.  Some players would like to see a session summary available for battles played during that session, or filterable for any period; seems reasonable to me, I think WG should do it and make it part of the game.  Some players want to have auto-aim to enemy tanks across the map that they can't see, which I would say isn't right.  The devs look at both and decide for each one on it's own merits; good or not good. Done

Rofl REQUEST stuff for the game. It took then 5 years to add a mod that people have been asking for, for 5 years...

Da_Mangler #277 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 20:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22999 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL

View PostTolos, on Dec 05 2016 - 18:33, said:

Rofl REQUEST stuff for the game. It took then 5 years to add a mod that people have been asking for, for 5 years...

You are correct that WG has a pathetic track record for customer response and resolving the major issues affecting the game; MM, RNG, SPG's, and Maps.  In truth I hold no belief that they care at all; in certain cases I wonder whether if they're even capable of understanding what it's really like to play the game.  That being said, mod developers often create products counterproductive to fair gameplay, and if they can't police themselves, giving them access helps no one.  Cut them all off; no outside content permitted. 

dityboycom #278 Posted Dec 06 2016 - 14:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12542 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

Why is there no warning besides a 7 day ban?

A simple pop up when you log in "Your res mods folder contains an illegal mod, please close your client and remove it. The illegal mod is > xxxx"  would give a lot of uneducated users a better chance to correct themselves than a 7 day ban.

Though it looks like the ban process is manual, it seems more logical to give people a chance to correct themselves without a ban for a first strike.

ImmortalEdge #279 Posted Dec 06 2016 - 14:48

Private

• -Players-
  • 1147 battles
  • [SFEAR] SFEAR

View PostBlasFemy, on Nov 15 2016 - 12:06, said:

XVM  6.4.8 has a reload timer built into it. Is it ok to disable it, and continue to use xvm?

Aslains mod pack removed the timer in the most recent update

ImmortalEdge #280 Posted Dec 06 2016 - 14:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 1147 battles
  • [SFEAR] SFEAR

View PostDa_Mangler, on Dec 05 2016 - 11:11, said:

You are correct that WG has a pathetic track record for customer response and resolving the major issues affecting the game; MM, RNG, SPG's, and Maps.  In truth I hold no belief that they care at all; in certain cases I wonder whether if they're even capable of understanding what it's really like to play the game.  That being said, mod developers often create products counterproductive to fair gameplay, and if they can't police themselves, giving them access helps no one.  Cut them all off; no outside content permitted. 

I think ppl tend to use MM, SPG, RNG, and map rotation as excuses why they suck or have bad stats. 

Solution: stop caring and start having fun

Also tagged with fair Play, Mods

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users