395 replies to this topic

MUMBLESRUMBLES #341 Posted Jan 16 2017 - 14:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37505 battles
  • [TAC-E] TAC-E

View PostHans_von_Twitchy, on Nov 15 2016 - 16:37, said:

Dear WG,

I love the idea of cheaters being banned, and welcome this development eagerly, but your "which is why you’ll see us talking about functionality instead of specific mods" is going to cause MASSIVE anger.

When any form of government/authority (as WG is for its game) inflicts harsh punishment upon someone under its jurisdiction, it had better make damned sure that the punishment's justification is well known and fully understood. Punishing people for offenses which are not well known or not understood causes major upset and backlash.

WG is infamous for being absolutely pathetic at writing clear, concise, unambiguous English text. (Your company seriously needs to hire at least one good Technical Writer, and he/she has to put a major effort into training all of you who produce text that your players read.) Ghost, you know from the past forum posts about the new anti-cheating policy that players are drawing all sorts of conclusions from WG's poorly worded policy text. I cannot imagine that the final policy will be worded any better, because I have never read anything from anyone at WG which struck me as being written by a skilled crafter of the English language.

When you start banning people for using a mod that they interpreted your policy as allowing, but you interpreted your policy as banning, then the forum is going to be deluged with rants from those people who have been banned, followed by page after page of arguments about whether or not specific mods are legal or illegal. WG is going to anger a very large proportion of your user base (pretty much everyone who uses more than a couple of mods).

You MUST be specific about what mods are illegal! You MUST list them by name and by exact description, so people will know with 100% certainty whether or not they are allowed to run that mod.

You might think this sounds like more work that just releasing a policy statement, but believe me, your company will have to do a great deal more work if you release yet another poorly worded, inexact, interpretable-every-which-way policy. In particular, your marketing department will have to do a huge amount of extra work trying to find new customers to replace all the ones who got so angry at your company's arbitrary punishments that they left the game.

If the player base sees that players are being banned for running mods that they genuinely thought were legal -- because your policy was not specific enough -- then every mod-using player in your community is going to think about no longer spending money on your game, in fear that their money will be lost because you suddenly decided that one of their mods was illegal.

Tread very carefully here, because if you mess this up, it could do a great deal of damage to your company.

some have already left for other war games. you see it in the clans. those are the ones that invest real cash into the game.  what wot needs to really do is make>>>>approved mods packages>>>> ones that they actually give approval to use they deem to be designed for safe  game use,and that they actually list and you can download from wot website... many clans are setting up new clans on the other games available. we have..

Edited by mumblecorefilms, Jan 16 2017 - 14:53.

USMCGomerPyle #342 Posted Jan 16 2017 - 18:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31292 battles
I got a question about chat banning. If you activate the profanity filter does that work both ways and can it prevent you from getting chat banned or does it only work one way on incoming bad language etc..? Also if it is a violation to use bad words and/or profanity why do they allow it typed in the first place? I have seen other games that will not allow you to type bad words/profanity in the first place unless you specifically make up words to by pass it? (Wizard 101 is one of those games that my kid plays which does that). Thank you for any replies.

Fbomb #343 Posted Jan 16 2017 - 21:06

Captain

• Players
  • 22539 battles
  • [BAKED] BAKED

View Postmrholsy, on Jan 14 2017 - 16:33, said:

What is the status on the "autoaim indication" mod? I saw it show up in the OMC modpack today, but assumed that it was an illegal one.

Aslains has an improved, FUNCTIONAL version of the vanilla that I find actually useful. Still not illegal

moogleslam #344 Posted Jan 16 2017 - 21:22

Major

• Players
  • 29194 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostFbomb, on Jan 16 2017 - 15:06, said:

Aslains has an improved, FUNCTIONAL version of the vanilla that I find actually useful. Still not illegal

How does the latest one function?

xCaige #345 Posted Jan 16 2017 - 22:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29711 battles
  • [-M1-] -M1-

View Postmumblecorefilms, on Jan 16 2017 - 07:51, said:

some have already left for other war games. you see it in the clans. those are the ones that invest real cash into the game.  what wot needs to really do is make>>>>approved mods packages>>>> ones that they actually give approval to use they deem to be designed for safe  game use,and that they actually list and you can download from wot website... many clans are setting up new clans on the other games available. we have..

​I will never understand these players.. It is not that difficult to figure out what mods are considered illegal or not.. It is in the description, if the mod does anything considerably close to what is considered illegal by description, then simply don't risk it.. It is not that hard to figure out.. It was said they will not name mods as people can just rename them and then argue why they were banned because its not the same mod that was named on the list..  So they're doing it right by giving a description of what is illegal and leaving it up to you (the player) to be intelligent enough to figure it out.. But by all means have fun in any other games you play :)

Edited by xCaige, Jan 16 2017 - 22:25.

Fbomb #346 Posted Jan 17 2017 - 00:17

Captain

• Players
  • 22539 battles
  • [BAKED] BAKED

View Postmoogleslam, on Jan 16 2017 - 15:22, said:

How does the latest one function?

http://aslain.com/in...toaim-snapping/

The author of the actual mod has a link in there too

snookhooked #347 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 13:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41166 battles
  • [TAA] TAA
The simple way war gaming could deal with this issue is just ban all third mods and imply a basic set of mods and run software that would scan files  before allowing a player to sign in. Why go on a witch hunt. just  apply these changes to next patch.

Oddball_64 #348 Posted Jan 29 2017 - 09:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 15067 battles
  • [DIG-A] DIG-A

well yopu say that the anti cheat system is up and running? well then you must turn it off at night because people are useing aimbot+  turning invisible until they are right ontop of you. shooting through solid cover..

and MM is so lopsided the game is becoming not fun. I agree with removing all mods and we will see how some of these people play then.

Love your game just tired of all the crap that goes on at night and nothing is done about it.

Unprofessional #349 Posted Feb 08 2017 - 10:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15420 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Talking about banning people for mods when the NA server is dying if not already. WG is only throwing out the fear of being caught, so people think twice. Otherwise they aren't going to do mass bans. Really is this topic still a thing?

MUMBLESRUMBLES #350 Posted Feb 22 2017 - 01:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37505 battles
  • [TAC-E] TAC-E

so can u use a mod that tells u the ingame players stats, personal ratings and win rate. to me, thats an unfair advantage for targeting players..

Fbomb #351 Posted Mar 01 2017 - 13:59

Captain

• Players
  • 22539 battles
  • [BAKED] BAKED
Is it not easily obtainable info?

Desmios #352 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 18:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3572 battles
  • [50-6] 50-6
Is spamming gold ammo against low-tiers and new/poor players considered 'fair play'?

HI_FIVE #353 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:55

Major

• Players
  • 42567 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View PostDesmios, on Mar 13 2017 - 12:23, said:

Is spamming gold ammo against low-tiers and new/poor players considered 'fair play'?

Scratches head as i look at your stats.hmm yeaaaaaaaaaaa

Poitou_Donkey #354 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 23:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18567 battles
  • [PGHS] PGHS
I have to wonder, as I have a friend who worked for Second Life and had to deal with "bans" all the time. Even if you ban someone, the truly bad eggs will just come back. IP banning doesn't quite get it, and even, he had to do a couple times, trace back to the ethernet card serial number (the badguys use the cards that all have the same SN, ban that card and you've banned about 2,000,000 people). I assume it's not that bad with WoT's but stranger things have happened in MMO's.

SiberianKhatru #355 Posted Apr 16 2017 - 17:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30494 battles
  • [-HELL] -HELL

View PostUnprofessional, on Feb 08 2017 - 09:59, said:

Talking about banning people for mods when the NA server is dying if not already. WG is only throwing out the fear of being caught, so people think twice. Otherwise they aren't going to do mass bans. Really is this topic still a thing?

People have been saying the NA server is dying for about 5 years now.  You got any new juicy info or are you on auto-regurgitate mode?

black_colt #356 Posted Apr 17 2017 - 20:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postsnookhooked, on Jan 18 2017 - 04:14, said:

The simple way war gaming could deal with this issue is just ban all third mods and imply a basic set of mods and run software that would scan files  before allowing a player to sign in. Why go on a witch hunt. just  apply these changes to next patch.

Rarely is a simple way the best way ... but I, for one, do not like certain visual aspects of the game as they do not suit my play-style and MODs accommodate my particular needs and make the game more enjoyable.

Perhaps WarGaming could start a Developer Program [make it free] for MODs, digitally-sign the approved MODs, and provide a locked Forum with those MODs so users can go there and download.

Individuals downloading and installing these digitally-signed MODs would be indemnified against any action.  If the file is signed then it is fine to use. 

The hand-shake between the client and server at log-in would just poll the res_mods folder for digitally signed files.

If a digitally-signed file has an update, then the game would present a dialog box stating [XXXXXX MOD has an update. Please Cancel and update this MOD before you Log into the Game. Logging into the game now may result in issues up to and including not being unable to play.] and then present a [Cancel] or [Understand, Log into the Game].

If there are multiple files, then [There are several MODs that need updating. Please cancel, download,  and install the latest version prior to logging into the game. Logging into the game now may result in issues up to and including not being unable to play] and then present a [Cancel] or [Understand, Log into the Game]

This should prevent, or at least seriously reduce the number of issues related to out-of-date MODs and the game crashing, video artifacts, etc.

And if a user selected [Understand, Log into the Game] then they understand the risks.

If there are non-digitally-signed files, then the game would present a dialog box stating [You appear to have un-approved MODs installed on your game. The use of these MODs may be in violation of the Fair Play Policy and you may be subject to action, including deactivation of your account for their use.] and then present a [Cancel] or [Understand, Log Into The Game] button.

For me, the advantage is that users can either chose approved MODs and not worry about being subject to the Fair Play Policy - OR - chose to download, install, and use un-approved MODs and possibly be subject to the Fair Play Policy.

Thoughts ...

Edited by black_colt, Apr 17 2017 - 20:56.

Trollbreath #357 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 05:46

Private

• -Players-
  • 19725 battles
  • [W_D] W_D

You need to start banning Clans that are using the hacks. Stop playing favorites cause your afraid to lose some money. Anytime they can target you before they even come around a mountain or building is a hack. You started off doing good by banning people then just stopped. You found out I cost you money so you turning a blind eye to the big clans. The cheats makes the game unfair and your not doing anything to make it better. Just because they are big clans and you make money cause they have premium accounts. If you going to tell everybody that your going to stop the cheats then do it. otherwise make it legal for everybody to use them

ImaKillYou #358 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 11:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24170 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT

View PostTrollbreath, on Apr 17 2017 - 21:46, said:

You need to start banning Clans that are using the hacks. Stop playing favorites cause your afraid to lose some money. Anytime they can target you before they even come around a mountain or building is a hack. You started off doing good by banning people then just stopped. You found out I cost you money so you turning a blind eye to the big clans. The cheats makes the game unfair and your not doing anything to make it better. Just because they are big clans and you make money cause they have premium accounts. If you going to tell everybody that your going to stop the cheats then do it. otherwise make it legal for everybody to use them

and another tomato with no proof of anything claims that big clans all hack lolololol

Fbomb #359 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 14:47

Captain

• Players
  • 22539 battles
  • [BAKED] BAKED
Well, as all mods are broken for the next day or two, take note of any of these perceived cheats still exist

geek070 #360 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 19:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 31894 battles
  • [-U-M-] -U-M-

View PostKiller_Slush, on Nov 15 2016 - 22:09, said:

View PostPalladius__, on Nov 15 2016 - 16:48, said:

Autoaim + (let's call it autolock +) is exactly the way autoaim or autolock works in console, you can lock onto a target without direct line of sight, through a building, etc. Most of the changes WG have implemented to WOT PC is making it closer to console so it seems likely they will add this to the vanilla and there is no reason why they should object to this mod in the meanwhile until they actually add it. It would be kind of screwed up for them to ban people for using a mod that they offer as a feature on console.  So what gives today? Does the right hand not speak to the left there?.

The PC and console gave have two different sets of developers and moderators, meaning they are allowed to have two different sets of rules.

Console has an autolock for the same reason console FPS games have an autolock feature, the sticks on a controller lack the sensitivity to aim precisely. PC tanks, just like PC FPSs, do not have autolock because a mouse gives you the sensitivity required to make the fine adjustments to your aim.

It's not that simple. Significant ping, playing fast tank etc. doesn't allow to use autoaim.. forget about behind obj. but at least add some snap 

Also tagged with fair Play, Mods

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users