Need Help Modifying XVM Vehicle Markers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

EpicFight22 #1 Posted Nov 20 2016 - 22:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 5163 battles
  • [JEDI9] JEDI9
I just downloaded the XVM mod, but I don't like the vehicle markers included with it, and I don't know how to set it to the ones like the sample image. Which file do I have to modify, and how do I set the font of the marker?

SapFireMC #2 Posted Nov 20 2016 - 22:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles
  • [J_F_F] J_F_F
Download aslains modpack. It lets you customize your game greatly

EpicFight22 #3 Posted Nov 20 2016 - 22:43

Private

• -Players-
  • 5163 battles
  • [JEDI9] JEDI9
The mod pack was complicated and there were too many steps for me to follow while downloading it. I just want to know how to change the markers without add ons. Which file contains the settings for the markers, and how do I change them.

Black_Hawk70 #4 Posted Nov 20 2016 - 23:17

Captain

• Players
  • 21766 battles

View PostEpicFight22, on Nov 20 2016 - 16:43, said:

The mod pack was complicated and there were too many steps for me to follow while downloading it. I just want to know how to change the markers without add ons. Which file contains the settings for the markers, and how do I change them.

Complicated? Simply click the link.. Wait for the ad timer to count down.. download.. open the installer.. select the mods you want.. and you're done.

scyorkie #5 Posted Nov 21 2016 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 70241 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostEpicFight22, on Nov 21 2016 - 05:18, said:

I just downloaded the XVM mod, but I don't like the vehicle markers included with it, and I don't know how to set it to the ones like the sample image. Which file do I have to modify, and how do I set the font of the marker?

How exactly do you want your markers to look like? I'll see if I can guide you along.

EpicFight22 #6 Posted Nov 21 2016 - 21:10

Private

• -Players-
  • 5163 battles
  • [JEDI9] JEDI9
I want it to look like one in the sample image on the website. The one with the digital clock letters. No idea what macro it was designated. I'm really stupid.

scyorkie #7 Posted Nov 21 2016 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 70241 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

The middle one in the bottom row?

EpicFight22 #8 Posted Nov 22 2016 - 01:32

Private

• -Players-
  • 5163 battles
  • [JEDI9] JEDI9
Yes.

scyorkie #9 Posted Nov 22 2016 - 09:29

Major

• Players
  • 70241 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

Let's start with what the various parts of that marker are made up of. I've labelled them in the image above, and I'll be referring to the standard markersAliveNormal.xc file (the contents of which are reproduced here on pastebin.com for reference).

0. Introduction

XVM comes with 4 markers config files:

- markersAliveNormal.xc - markers for 'live' tanks

- markersDeadNormal.xc - markers for 'dead' tanks

- markersAliveExtended.xc - markers for 'live' tanks when pressing the Alt button

- markersDeadExtended.xc - markers for 'dead' tanks when pressing the Alt button

We'll start by editing markersAliveNormal.xc. Once you get what you want with that config, you can extend your edits to the other 3 files, which are structured similarly.

markersAliveNormal.xc. starts with the definitions section (lines 8-235), where certain labels are created. Then comes the allies section (lines 237-345) and the enemies section (lines 347-430). These 2 sections are similar in structure -- they contain certain elements such as the health bar for the tank (lines 264 and 361), and also incorporate the custom labels created in the definitions section (lines 338-344, 423-428).

1. damageText 

The top 2 lines of the image show the AMX 50 120 taking 2 hits. One for 185 damage (11% of its hitpoints), and another for 246 damage (15% of its hitpoints).

The relevant lines are 11-58 of markersAliveNormal.xc.

With the default config, when a tank takes a hit, it only shows the amount of damage taken. This is determined by line 54: "damageMessage": "{{dmg}}",

If you want the same effect as in the image, change that line to: "damageMessage": "-{{dmg}} / {{dmg-ratio}}%",

The font type is determined by line 25: "font": "$FieldFont",

If you want to change the font to one that you have installed on your PC, navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts to browse your installed fonts, and then replace "$FieldFont" with something else ("Cooper Black", for example).

The font color is determined by line 29 (the default is actually controlled by colors.xc, which shows variable colors depending on the source of damage), and the border color is actually the shadow, which is determined by line 41 (the default is black). Note that the colors in this config come in the format "0x000000". 0x000000 is black0xFF0000 is red, etc (the starting "0x..." never changes, only the last 6 characters do). You can use this site to pick the colors you want.

Play around with the other parameters in lines 11-58 to achieve the specific look that you want.

2. Custom label

This part involves creating a custom definition, in order display a static text field when a tank's HP goes below a certain threshold.

I messed around with my own configs, and here's a picture of what it displays. It involves a few steps.

Step 1: Custom definition

This my custom definition for displaying the words "LOW HP" in white text with a red shadow:

"CriticalHP": {

"name": "CriticalHP",
      "enabled": true,
      "x": 0, "y": -78, "alpha": "{{a:hp-ratio}}", "align": "center",
      "textFormat": { "font": "$FieldFont", "size": 13, "color": "0xFFFFFF", "bold": true, "italic": false },
      "shadow": { "enabled": true, "alpha": 100, "angle": 90, "color": "0xFF0000", "distance": 0, "blur": 4, "strength": 2 },
      "format": "LOW HP"
    }

You can insert it after line 234. Do note that you have to insert a new comma at the end of line 234 as well. Tweak the X and Y values, the "format", etc, as necessary.

Step 2: Calling it up in the allies/enemies section

Next, you have to call up the definition under the enemies and/or allies section.

For enemies, look at lines 423-428. You can insert the following after line 427: ${ "def.CriticalHP" }

Again, you have to insert a new comma at the end of line 427.

Step 3: Customizing opacity

Note that my custom definition includes the following: "alpha": "{{a:hp-ratio}}"

Alpha = opacity. What the above does is make the opacity of the custom label dependent on the percentage of HP left on the tank.

The default behavior is:

- less than 50% HP remaining -> 50% opacity

- less than 25% HP remaining -> 75% opacity

- less than 10% HP remaining -> 100% opacity

The lower the HP goes, the more visible the custom label becomes.

If you want to tweak this, go to your alpha.xc, and look at:

- lines 47-52 for customizing the percentage thresholds for HP remaining

- lines 18-23 for customizing opacity values for each threshold

Notice that lines 47-52 make reference to lines 18-23.

3. tankName

The relevant lines are 61-85 of markersAliveNormal.xc.

The font type is determined by line 69.

As with the first section on damageText, play around with the parameters to achieve the look you want.

4. healthBar

The relevant lines are 264-289 (for allies) and 361-383 (for enemies) of markersAliveNormal.xc.

I do not think that you need to start configuring this part just yet. In XVM's sample image, the tank's remaining HP is hidden (relevant lines are 121-145). Hiding the HP makes it very hard to judge if a tank is one shot away from death. It also hinders organised/competitive play, where your caller will usually call out priority targets by the amount of HP remaining.

5. levelIcon

The relevant lines are 322-327 (for allies) and 407-411 (for enemies) of markersAliveNormal.xc.

You only need to adjust the position values, although I think the default works just fine.

6. Misc

There are 4 small colored squares in the image which are unidentifiable. Since I do not know what they represent, I have no comments on the same.

Lastly, to preview the effects of the changes you have made, you can view a replay file (ie. you don't have to actually click "Battle" and be looking at XVM instead of playing the game). If you see at any point that XVM changes to its default configuration, it means that you messed up your edits (usually by missing a bracket or comma somewhere).

EpicFight22 #10 Posted Nov 23 2016 - 01:01

Private

• -Players-
  • 5163 battles
  • [JEDI9] JEDI9
Thank you. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your response. I will use this as reference for my needs. Thank you.

Biker1bob #11 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 14484 battles
  • [SOGG] SOGG

Along this topic.

I am using Solo's Modpack. For OVM etc.. it allows me to choose from 5-6 different options..  I am not so much concerned WHAT it looks like as I want to be able to change WHAT is being displayed.. like in the settings for "markers" in the game.

AKA - every one I use displays the tank model above the tank.. for my team I want it to display the player name.. not the tank.. OR player and tank.. but NONE of these seem to respond to the markers setting in the game.. is there a way????

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users