Agile, sniper tank question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Lajkonikk #1 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7872 battles
So I found out that I love sniping ppl from far away. But I also like to have some mobility to flank.

When I pick medium tank, it lacks damage and penetration.

When I pick TD, it lacks mobility and agility.

So I'm asking you guys, what is the best tank balanced between sniping and being agile, but not medium or td ?

PS. I dont mind using new tanks coming in 6.6.

PPS. I need high tier tank, tier 7-8+

Hihibob #2 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:32

Captain

• Players
  • 3476 battles
I would say Easy 8, but the gun has horrible damage and pen for the tanks you're set up against in it.

Lajkonikk #3 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7872 battles
Easy 8?

GearaDoga #4 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:52

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
The Tiger and King Tiger are both very capable snipers, and once you get the engine and track upgrades they're fairly nimble, too.  Not Panther II, Pershing, or T-54 agile, but not bad for 60 ton heavies.

The KT has the added bonus of being quite a capable brawler, and while the armor on the Tiger sucks, it has massive hitpoints for tier 7.

Asky #5 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15479 battles
german mediums of course (tier 7,8,9)

Lajkonikk #6 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7872 battles
Thanks for replies guys! I have 1 more question: What is the best tier X sniper? Maus, E-100, T30 or IS-7?

dr_fruitloop #7 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 13:57

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6388 battles
You have obviously not driven the T25 TD. It has the speed and manoeuvrability of a medium, and can pack a punch with the 105mm AT gun.

DingBat #8 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 14:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19978 battles

View PostLajkonikk, on Aug 05 2011 - 13:19, said:

So I found out that I love sniping ppl from far away. But I also like to have some mobility to flank.

When I pick medium tank, it lacks damage and penetration.

When I pick TD, it lacks mobility and agility.

So I'm asking you guys, what is the best tank balanced between sniping and being agile, but not medium or td ?

PS. I dont mind using new tanks coming in 6.6.

PPS. I need high tier tank, tier 7-8+

Lol, that's a long list of conditions. Sounds like you want it all, which should tell you how likely you are to get it. :)

If you want mobility, you're pretty much talking a medium tank, with some few exceptions. I disagree with you that all medium guns lack damage and penetration, but you have to decide what your top priority is: mobility or punch. You can't always have both. Oh, and don't forget accuracy, since you want to be a sniper.

So, I think you're going to have to suffer in a medium.

The Panther/Panther 2 are acknowledged as sniper tanks and the top guns are capable of damaging most opponents. They aren't the most mobile of mediums, but they're better than most heavies.
I find my Pershing to be a good sniper platform, with good mobility.
My best sniper tank is my 3002DB, which averages a sniper badge every 7 battles or so. A lot of people complain about the damage of the 88, but I find it does the job nicely. Plus the tank is tough, so you're in many battles right to the end.
I had a T54 in beta. While I didn't like the T43/44 at all, the guns were accurate and did decent damage.

Dhramund #9 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 14:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4642 battles
  • [RXR] RXR

View PostLajkonikk, on Aug 05 2011 - 13:57, said:

Thanks for replies guys! I have 1 more question: What is the best tier X sniper? Maus, E-100, T30 or IS-7?
The E-100 and T30 will have similar guns and do the most damage.  However, eventually the T-30 will be moved to T9 in the TD tree.  I hope they don't mess with the stats too much when they do that.

Lajkonikk #10 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 14:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7872 battles

View PostDingBat, on Aug 05 2011 - 14:03, said:

Lol, that's a long list of conditions. Sounds like you want it all, which should tell you how likely you are to get it. :)

If you want mobility, you're pretty much talking a medium tank, with some few exceptions. I disagree with you that all medium guns lack damage and penetration, but you have to decide what your top priority is: mobility or punch. You can't always have both. Oh, and don't forget accuracy, since you want to be a sniper.

The Panther/Panther 2 are acknowledged as sniper tanks and the top guns are capable of damaging most opponents. They aren't the most mobile of mediums, but they're better than most heavies.
My best sniper tank is my 3002DB, which averages a sniper badge every 7 battles or so. A lot of people complain about the damage of the 88, but I find it does the job nicely. Plus the tank is tough, so you're in many battles right to the end.
I had a T54 in beta. While I didn't like the T43/44 at all, the guns were accurate and did decent damage.

That's THE most helpful answer to my thread. Thanks for explaining all the stuff. I already went for tiger I. So far it's crap but I have no gun/engine upgrades for it yet. I was thinking about 3002, but I don't like the gun. I might go for panther at some point but my friends told me it's a bad tank...

Thanks everybody for replies, u ppl helped me a lot ;)

CrashTailspin #11 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 18:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 15272 battles

View PostDingBat, on Aug 05 2011 - 14:03, said:

So let's see.....mobility, the ability to accurately hit things from a distance, all while delivering a substantial punch.  Sounds like you're looking for a German medium tank, above Tier 7.

I play German mediums primarily, and I would have to say you're looking for a Panther II / E-50.  I researched the stats on the Panther II / E-50's 105mm gun, and it's more accurate, deals more damage, with only slightly less penetration than the Tiger II's long 105mm.  Add to that a rammer and vertical stabilizer, and you've got an 1,800hp ballzy-fast medium tank with enough armor to take a few hits and still deal massive punishment out.

For example, a frontal hull shot to an IS-3 with the Panther II will do about 20% damage.  A side shot to a Tiger will at least 30% damage.  Plus, with a view range of 460m, sitting stationary you'll be able to spot enemies fairly far away.  My longest hit in a Panther II was about 515m (with a friendly tank spotting, and a large stationary target [Lowe]).

Now, please understand that it's no super-tank.  It CANNOT dogfight one-on-one with a T-54, and is pretty much equal with a Pershing.  The thing it lacks is hull traverse speed, especially when you're racing around at over 30kph.  So if you're going to take on mediums, you need to do it in a pack.

As for the DB as a sniper, the short 88 in my opinion does not have the accuracy you'll want for long distances.  The 75mm L/70 is much better at that.  But then again, the DB DOES have the traverse and slope to get in there and dogfight with similar Tier 7 mediums, and even some Tier 7 heavies.  Once the Panther I becomes Tier 7, that'll be your medium sniper tank for that tier, since it's getting the 75mm L/100.  Now THAT'S accurate.  But the Panther won't have as many HP as before (hence the nerf), so play smart.

Grugbug #12 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 18:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25741 battles
I snipe in my IS-3. The BL-9 packs a punch. I prefer to shoot then fall back under cover while I am undergoing a reload.
It is fast enough to get to trouble spots fairly quickly and can take plenty of hits if you keep the drivers port out of direct fire.

Good luck on your quest. :Smile-izmena:

Captain_DirtyLeotard #13 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 19:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32458 battles
I honestly think that what your looking for is a Patton or Panther II soon to be E-50.  Can you imagine the outcry of persons on the forums if a tank is the best at sniping and flanking close range?  Basically, you want something with View Range, Accurracy at range, and some mobility which comes in a medium tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users