Jump to content


Guide to Grinding the US Heavy Line


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
657 replies to this topic

VirgilHilts #41 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 19:31

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16650 battles
  • 3,417
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010

View PostLifeSWiFTone, on Aug 09 2011 - 18:57, said:

I'm in the middle of grinding to the Pershing and I'm wondering if i should start grinding for the T34. I would have to start at the T2 med tho, meh. I don't run prem so i'm not sure if i could make it by 6.7. Any thoughts?

Edit: I already have a Lowe so unless this thing will make a lot more money than the Lowe makes i may not grind it out.

Getting up to the M6 is fairly quick, after that, it takes time. And you have to run tanks that make credits in order to pay for your purchases. Up until you get to the T32, that's not a problem at all, grinding through everything before it left me with plenty of credits to buy the T29. Grinding the T29 without premium did not generate enough credits to buy the T32, I'm still working on that. Although I did buy some equipment along the way.

There's no way of knowing what the T34 will make as a premium. I'd say it may not make as much as a Lowe. But in this case, you're going to end up with a FREE (at least at least in as much as cost refers to real world cold hard cash) premium tank as well as a new tier IX tank and the attending garage slot. You also may or may not like the T34 premium as much as or more than the Lowe. No one can say or decide that except you.

JDCollie #42 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 19:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 10347 battles
  • 3,287
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostVirgilHilts, on Aug 09 2011 - 19:31, said:

Getting up to the M6 is fairly quick, after that, it takes time. And you have to run tanks that make credits in order to pay for your purchases. Up until you get to the T32, that's not a problem at all, grinding through everything before it left me with plenty of credits to buy the T29. Grinding the T29 without premium did not generate enough credits to buy the T32, I'm still working on that. Although I did buy some equipment along the way.

There's no way of knowing what the T34 will make as a premium. I'd say it may not make as much as a Lowe. But in this case, you're going to end up with a FREE (at least at least in as much as cost refers to real world cold hard cash) premium tank as well as a new tier IX tank and the attending garage slot. You also may or may not like the T34 premium as much as or more than the Lowe. No one can say or decide that except you.
A 120mm on a tier VIII is a serious force to be reckoned with. One thing I have noticed as I have ground up through the T29 is that many people are not very conscious about protecting their weakpoints.  It comes down to playstyle pretty much; if you can find a hull down position in one of the heavy fighting zones, you are likely to make a lot of money in the T34. If you rush wildly, well, you'll make less.

m3atpuppet #43 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 20:37

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11950 battles
  • 40
  • Member since:
    06-27-2011

View PostLifeSWiFTone, on Aug 09 2011 - 18:57, said:

I'm in the middle of grinding to the Pershing and I'm wondering if i should start grinding for the T34. I would have to start at the T2 med tho, meh. I don't run prem so i'm not sure if i could make it by 6.7. Any thoughts?

Edit: I already have a Lowe so unless this thing will make a lot more money than the Lowe makes i may not grind it out.

I'd venture to say the T34 with the 120 will make more than a Lowe; that alone makes it pretty attractive. Add the fact that it's a "free" premium and tier 9 and that makes it a no brainer for me :)

If you have a Lowe already and don't mind spending a few gold, why not grind up to the Lee, free xp past it, and go right to the T1? The road to a T29 from the T1 can be painful, but I have to say I didn't mind too much - only took about 10 days with premium. The grind actually becomes pretty fun when you get the 90mm on the M6' too!

After you get the T29, it's a breeze IMO. My god, how I love that tank...

Pongo #44 Posted Aug 09 2011 - 21:47

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 24489 battles
  • 2,264
  • Member since:
    08-06-2010
Got the T34 two days ago.
Short synopsis, vehicle is so bad I will not pay to upgrade the gun. The turret and gun is 100k xp or so? Forget it. I will get both for free when the patch comes in and an M103. With upgraded tracks, engine and radio and a 92% crew the tank makes less then half the xp that a T32 does.
DO NOT USE FREE XP TO RESEARCH THE 34, SAVE IT TO GET THE T30.(unless you are not going to get the T30)

I am trying to learn to play this tank chicken enough to be effective with it, but its hard for me.
After the excellent T29 and the Credible T32, this thing is amazingly disappointing. But right now, when you will get another Tier 9 for your trouble, its a steal.

JDCollie #45 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 01:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 10347 battles
  • 3,287
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostPongo, on Aug 09 2011 - 21:47, said:

But right now, when you will get another Tier 9 for your trouble, its a steal.
I can't disagree with your comments honestly; I don't have a T34 :P  However, the huge distinction here is that if you just have a T34 in your garage when the patch hits, you get the premium version, with 120mm and 100% crew plus the new Tier 9.

If you are going all the way to get the T30 before patch day though, heaven help you.

xthetenth #46 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 03:29

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 14690 battles
  • 3,529
  • [SEAMN] SEAMN
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
My advice is to save the free xp as long as you can. The T32 kinda wants some for the tracks ( it still can't mount the 105 on the stock ones, right?) and then save it all for the T34's 120 grind (tracks, turret, gun) unless you need it to get in one before the patch.

Zergling #47 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 03:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,433
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

View PostVirgilHilts, on Aug 09 2011 - 17:37, said:

Are your figures with or without premium?

No premium.

Only gold I bought went on a 38H, Ram II (both of which I regret, as regular tier 5-6 tanks do just as good or better at credit farming) and a bunch of garage slots (which I don't regret).


Here's some more statistics.

T1 Heavy: 27,941 damage, average 329 damage per battle. 55% hit ratio.

M6: 106,473 damage, average 582 damage per battle. 73% hit ratio.

T29: 355,652 damage, average 803 damage per battle. 74% hit ratio.

T32: 405,151 damage, average 1008 damage per battle. 81% hit ratio.

VirgilHilts #48 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 04:10

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16650 battles
  • 3,417
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010
Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty close, on the T29, my hit ratio is 75% and I'm at 896 average damage per battle.

The M6 and the T29 are sitting right now, running only for the daily double, while I run both Shermans grinding credits. I'm only about 2M short of where I want to be, and I think I'm getting around 80-100K credits an hour, if I push hard and do well. I'm a little short on drive tonight, despite doing okay. I think pushing hard has taken a little too much fun out of it, and I'm a little tired of it. Maybe the next 2-3 days will be better. I am only about 600 experience points short of the T20.

Not sure I'll make enough free experience to get the tracks before I have enough credits to do everything else I want to do. I've only gained about 1000 free experience points for about 700K credits, I need 3x that many more credits, if the experience points hold the same, I'll be 3K or so short. That hurts my plans. I need to make the T34 happen by next Friday, I start two weekends of traveling and racing that Saturday, so I lose the whole weekend. If I never get to the T30, oh well, but I really want a T34 for the premium switch.


I had the little premium Pz in the beta, I dearly loved that little tank. I bought it in August, and all my friends laughed. Toward the end of the beta, they all changed their mind, I wasn't so stupid for spending gold on a tank then.

I've got maybe 60K or so in convertible experience points, but unless they have a sale on garage slots, and I come into some extra cash, they'll remain unconverted.

JDCollie #49 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 05:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 10347 battles
  • 3,287
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostVirgilHilts, on Aug 10 2011 - 04:10, said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty close, on the T29, my hit ratio is 75% and I'm at 896 average damage per battle.

The M6 and the T29 are sitting right now, running only for the daily double, while I run both Shermans grinding credits. I'm only about 2M short of where I want to be, and I think I'm getting around 80-100K credits an hour, if I push hard and do well. I'm a little short on drive tonight, despite doing okay. I think pushing hard has taken a little too much fun out of it, and I'm a little tired of it. Maybe the next 2-3 days will be better. I am only about 600 experience points short of the T20.

Not sure I'll make enough free experience to get the tracks before I have enough credits to do everything else I want to do. I've only gained about 1000 free experience points for about 700K credits, I need 3x that many more credits, if the experience points hold the same, I'll be 3K or so short. That hurts my plans. I need to make the T34 happen by next Friday, I start two weekends of traveling and racing that Saturday, so I lose the whole weekend. If I never get to the T30, oh well, but I really want a T34 for the premium switch.


I had the little premium Pz in the beta, I dearly loved that little tank. I bought it in August, and all my friends laughed. Toward the end of the beta, they all changed their mind, I wasn't so stupid for spending gold on a tank then.

I've got maybe 60K or so in convertible experience points, but unless they have a sale on garage slots, and I come into some extra cash, they'll remain unconverted.

Good luck to you!


I'm not sure to calculate average damage. I've fought 154 battles in my T29, and have done 241,388 damage which I believe calculates out to 1,567 average damage per battle, but I don't know if I'm doing that right.

Zergling #50 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 08:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,433
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

View PostJDCollie, on Aug 10 2011 - 05:56, said:

I'm not sure to calculate average damage. I've fought 154 battles in my T29, and have done 241,388 damage which I believe calculates out to 1,567 average damage per battle, but I don't know if I'm doing that right.

Yah, that's right. 1,567 average damage is more than the 1,250 health a fully upgraded T29 has, so that suggests you are doing more damage than you are taking.

Unlike my own performance  :Smile-hiding:

JDCollie #51 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 09:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 10347 battles
  • 3,287
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostZergling, on Aug 10 2011 - 08:29, said:

Yah, that's right. 1,567 average damage is more than the 1,250 health a fully upgraded T29 has, so that suggests you are doing more damage than you are taking.

Unlike my own performance  :Smile-hiding:

Whew, good to know. I do actually make a conscious effort to inflict more damage than I have hp, so I guess it is working :)

redfromsc #52 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 16:08

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 78277 battles
  • 50
  • [-GBU-] -GBU-
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011
For those doing the T34 grind I'll share my brief story to get mine. The grind through the Lee wasnt good, or fun, but like others have said acceptt the fact its a TD and play it like one and you'll get through faster. Once I was able to unlock the next tier tank I would retrain crew and sell the tank. I did this for the Lee, T1, M6 and T29. The T1 was terrible to play, and took the longest for me to get out of. The M6 once upgraded wasnt too bad. That guy can take a beating and on many occasions I would get steel wall. Once I unlocked the T29 the grind changed to grins. The T29 is awesome, and once you get the 105 taking on KTs and IS3s is not out of the question. My only regret through this grind was selling my T29 to get the T32, I really wish I would have played a few more days and got the extra cash to buy the T32 instead of selling my T29. With the T29, non premium account, I made good money 90% of the time (ie 12k+) Once I got into the T32 it was not what I had hoped for. It took a while to figure out how to play but once fully upgraded and a change in my strategy I really like it and it makes decent money. I always try to face hug with it, and usually use HE shells on the tier 8+ tanks.

During Operation Husky I took the plunge and bought a 30 day premium account for 1800 gold. The grind to the T34 went surprisingly fast. I had no idea when the upgrade of the T34 would come so I went really fast to get it. 2 weeks ago I was going on vacation so I decided to be safe and had a garage sale, selling my Ez8, Kv Derp, Stug III, M3 all to get the cash to buy the T34 without selling my T32. When I got back from vacation obviously the T34 wasnt premium and all I had left was the T34 stock and the T32 elite. It was a very hard 4 days to grind enough cash to buy back my KV. I also now have a PZ 3/4, M7, and M2. I take turns playing my T34 and KV. The T34 to get xp to upgrade it and the KV obviously to make money. I am making about 15-20K per game on the KV and probably breaking even through all games on the T34. So far after 1 week of play in the T34, not converting xp, I have the new tracks and turrent. I am about 45K xp away from the 120. Most games, 90% + I am the top tank in game with the T34. I tell my team right off the bat im stock and not to expect much. Ill cower behind some other guys and try to snipe or attack the IS3/4 when they are less than 50%. This strat is netting me 750 xp per game average, with the occasional 1250+ game and the also occasional <250 dog game.

It might be just me, but when I see other American Heavies I have alot more respect for those players than the German or Russian Heavies just cause I know what they have been through. I am really hoping that we will be rewarded for our hard work and dedication to the American line. What inspired me to keep grinding was one game I was in about a month ago. I was in my T29, fairly new, we were on the city map (forget name) and our top tank wa a T30. The other team had a Maus, Object 704, IS4 (or maybe 7) KT, and a LOWE or 2. We got ground up pretty good and soon it was down to just our T30 on our cap. I stayed in the game and watched him take out the Maus, Object, IS, KT and the Lowes. He had a great sppot that was hull down and was taking serious punishment from all angles but was one shoting all the tanks but the Maus. Granted all the tanks were not anywhere near 100% but it was an awesome sight to see this 1 tank kill 5-6 tanks at the end of the game when they thought it was in the bag, especially with the Maus left. That site alone has kept me grinding up.

Kayos #53 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 17:10

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3393 battles
  • 823
  • [1BIAR] 1BIAR
  • Member since:
    07-27-2010
Why not just buy the T34 with Gold then you don't have to worry about grinding it?

HatsuneMiku #54 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 19:12

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 2774 battles
  • 368
  • Member since:
    07-14-2010

View PostKayos, on Aug 10 2011 - 17:10, said:

Why not just buy the T34 with Gold then you don't have to worry about grinding it?

Free premium tier 8 heavy money maker + free slot is a pretty attractive deal for non-premium players. Not sure if I want to do it though since I already have a Lowe and slots are dirt cheap when they were half off.

VirgilHilts #55 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 19:30

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16650 battles
  • 3,417
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010

View PostKayos, on Aug 10 2011 - 17:10, said:

Why not just buy the T34 with Gold then you don't have to worry about grinding it?


Because if you already own the T34 when the patch is released and the T34 becomes premium, you get your T34 converted to a premium tank, with your already trained crew, and you get a free garage slot with a brand new M103 tank with a comparably trained crew and upgrades parked in it. No gold (cash) required.

If you wait, and buy a premium T34 with gold, yo have to buy gold to pay for it, and you also have to use/buy a slot.

If they get around to fixing a few things, I might pay for premium. But not the way the game is now. The T32 and the T34 will fill my garage up, none of my 4 tanks are to be sold, they have too much invested in them. So I'll need the slot. The only gold purchase I'll consider right now is for garage slots, if they go on sale, at which time I'll buy a gold package once, to pay for enough garage slots to keep me satisfied for a long while. If the best package for that has gold left, I'll convert experience. I'm not buying tanks with gold when I'm playing and earning credits/experience points to buy tanks with. The only way I might buy any gold otherwise is if I get the T30 researched and the credits to buy it before the patch. Then I might buy a garage slot for the T30, since that will get you an M110 that is up to the level your T30 was, with crew, and a garage slot, while making your T30 a TD.

Pongo #56 Posted Aug 10 2011 - 22:19

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 24489 battles
  • 2,264
  • Member since:
    08-06-2010
And the T29 and T32 portion of the Grind is as good as any grind in the game. Its a pleasure. The T34-T30 portion however...
But to grind a tier 9 and a tier 10 and get an extra, new cool version of each?
Gravy, but they make you earn that T30. I have alot of tanks(10?) I got all my doubles in them last night in probably less then 20 battles. Likely 15. Except the T34. I lost 10 battles with it last night. I gave up without the double.

LeftyDan #57 Posted Aug 11 2011 - 00:15

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 18797 battles
  • 168
  • Member since:
    10-29-2010
I putting a hold on getting my kt for this. Instead Im using my elite tanks to earn the exp i need. Currently at the M6 not far from the T29.

Kayos #58 Posted Aug 11 2011 - 00:28

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3393 battles
  • 823
  • [1BIAR] 1BIAR
  • Member since:
    07-27-2010
I don't this is happening until after 7.0 anyway so lots of time to grind.

Gyarados #59 Posted Aug 11 2011 - 02:04

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 14368 battles
  • 11,504
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010
Awesome post and honestly, you're going to love the T32. It's a very fun tank!

JDCollie #60 Posted Aug 11 2011 - 02:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 10347 battles
  • 3,287
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostKayos, on Aug 11 2011 - 00:28, said:

I don't this is happening until after 7.0 anyway so lots of time to grind.
And thank heavens, because wow, the T32 is a slooooow grinder.  Feels very underpowered compared to playing the T29, but on the plus side, it also feels like can take one hell of a beating.

I think getting the engine upgrades will help it a lot. Overall, I'm liking the T32 so far, even if it is different.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users