Intel hd 6000 performance?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

gacl #1 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16571 battles
Hello everyone, I have a 2015 macbook air with the intel hd 6000 graphics card.  I get about 45-60 fps when playing world of tanks at native 1440x900p resolution on minimum settings.  I feel like I should be getting better performance, something closer to 60 fps all the time on minimum.  Is this about what I should be getting? Can someone else who has an intel hd 6000 graphics card tell me what they get when playing?  Is this fps normal, or a bit on the low side?  Thanks!

Edited by gacl, Dec 07 2016 - 03:40.

rich73 #2 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:46

Major

• Players
  • 48493 battles
Your lucky to get that...

SapFireMC #3 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3334 battles
  • [J_F_F] J_F_F

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 18:37, said:

Hello everyone, I have a 2015 macbook air with the intel hd 6000 graphics card.  I get about 45-60 fps when playing world of tanks at native 1440x900p resolution on minimum settings.  I feel like I should be getting better performance, something closer to 60 fps all the time on minimum.  Is this about what I should be getting? Can someone else who has an intel hd 6000 graphics card tell me what they get when playing?  Is this fps normal, or a bit on the low side?  Thanks!

I had that card, and it gives me around 45 fps all the time. Rarely 60 if my game was fresh. It's not for gaming tbh.

Reiko_Nagase #4 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:51

Captain

• Players
  • 13345 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 21:37, said:

Unfortunately this is average performance dude :(

Intel HD 6000 are Graphics that are built into the Processor so it's not the greatest. This is known as "Integrated Graphics" and almost all Laptops have this in order to save on Power when using the battery.

There are two types of Graphics Processing Units (GPU) Your's which is built into the processor which saves power and space and a Standalone GPU which is usually in most high end desktops that is a physical card that usually slots into a PCI slot and is unrelated to your processor in any way. These are more high performance but use way more power (Why they aren't used for Laptops)

Luckily for you Integrated graphics have come a long way in 5 - 10 years. You can now game on them. Something that was not even remotely possible 5 - 10 years ago. If you were to buy a more high end Laptop it may come with a NVIDIA "M" chip which is essentially a Physical NVIDIA Graphics card scaled down to fit in a Laptop. So the best of both worlds.

For example I have a NVIDIA GTX 950. They make a NVIDIA 950 M. it's essentially the Laptop version of the GTX 950 for desktops that is slightly worse and uses less power so it works in Laptops.

But Intel HD 6000 is perfect for WOT. I used to play WOT on HD 4000. So you should be pretty set.

Hope this helps!

-Reiko

Willy_W_Wonka #5 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:54

Major

• Players
  • 40867 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
The only way to gain a little extra performance with IGPs is to use fast ram but options are very limited to nonexistent for macs.

gacl #6 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 03:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16571 battles
Hmm, ok I guess its average.  Only reason I was asking is because I was at a friends house about 2 years ago playing on his moms laptop that had an intel hd 4000 and I swear it ran 55-60 fps all the time on minimum, hence this was about 2 years ago maybe more if that makes any difference.  And since this is the 6000 I thought I should be getting atleast 5 fps more.

Edited by gacl, Dec 07 2016 - 03:57.

Reiko_Nagase #7 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 04:02

Captain

• Players
  • 13345 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 21:57, said:

Hmm, ok I guess its average.  Only reason I was asking is because I was at a friends house about 2 years ago playing on his moms laptop that had an intel hd 4000 and I swear it ran 55-60 fps all the time on minimum, hence this was about 2 years ago maybe more if that makes any difference.  And since this is the 6000 I thought I should be getting atleast 5 fps more.

Yeah, You are probably right. 2 Years ago the game had WAY less HD Tank models and high quality textures to render. These days there are many more HD Models of tanks which has a slight impact on performance. 

I recently started the game up on my old PC with Intel HD 4000 and got 35 - 40 FPS almost the entire time. Probably because there are more HD Tank models like I said.

So two years ago the HD 6000 might have got 70 - 75 FPS. Just a guess.

45 - 60 FPS IS REALLY good though so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

gacl #8 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 04:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16571 battles

View PostReiko_Nagase, on Dec 07 2016 - 04:02, said:

Yeah, You are probably right. 2 Years ago the game had WAY less HD Tank models and high quality textures to render. These days there are many more HD Models of tanks which has a slight impact on performance. 

I recently started the game up on my old PC with Intel HD 4000 and got 35 - 40 FPS almost the entire time. Probably because there are more HD Tank models like I said.

So two years ago the HD 6000 might have got 70 - 75 FPS. Just a guess.

45 - 60 FPS IS REALLY good though so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Lol Its not to bad, I was more worried about something being wrong with my mac like the cpu/gpu not working as it should and have apple look at it or change a settings or something. Thanks for clarifying that it's the correct performance though!

Reiko_Nagase #9 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 04:05

Captain

• Players
  • 13345 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 22:04, said:

Lol Its not to bad, I was more worried about something being wrong with my mac like the cpu/gpu not working as it should and have apple look at it or change a settings or something. Thanks for clarifying that it's the correct performance though!

No problem. :P

Maltfourti #10 Posted Dec 07 2016 - 04:44

Captain

• Players
  • 41268 battles
  • [-M1-] -M1-
Thats not bad. Lower the resolution slightly, you'll pick up some frames. Try 1360ish by 768ish. You may even be able to increase the model textures.

Edited by Maltfourti, Dec 07 2016 - 04:47.

black_colt #11 Posted Dec 08 2016 - 00:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 18:37, said:

FPS is dependent on many factors on any hardware. Integrated cards [which is what you have] do not perform as well as dedicated cards [found on iMacs and 15 inch MacBook Pros].  45 FPS with the HD Client and Improved graphics settings with an integrated card is very good.

You may be able to get to 60 FPS by trying the following:

Use the SD client versus the HD client

Change [Settings][Graphics] in [Details] from [Improved] to [Standard]

This may produce a noticeable difference in the [look] of the game for some - not so much for others.  You will need to weigh the gain in FPS with the decline in the [look] of the game and find the best balance for you.

black_colt #12 Posted Dec 08 2016 - 00:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postyoggraid, on Dec 06 2016 - 18:54, said:

The only way to gain a little extra performance with IGPs is to use fast ram but options are very limited to nonexistent for macs.

That is partially true but not the [only way].

The speed of the RAM is limited by what is supported by the motherboard - if the motherboard does not support faster RAM then the hardware will not even boot so just putting in faster RAM is misleading.  This is true for a Mac [Apple-branded hardware running OS X] and non-Mac [Intel-based hardware running MS Windows/Linux].

Substituting an SSD [if you currently have a HDD] and increasing the amount of RAM are other ways - so your statement about the [only way] is incorrect.  

The seek-time for an SSD is significantly less than an HDD so if the OS needs to swap RAM contents then an SSD will give the best performance if you cannot increase the amount of RAM.  Increasing the amount of RAM generally gives better performance especially if the OS can load everything in the RAM space as the OS no longer needs to swap RAM contents with the SSD/HDD. This generally occurs when the amount of RAM is greater than 16GB.

My iMac runs up to 64GB RAM.  The Mac Pro [after 2013] runs up to 128 GB RAM.  So the options are not very limited or non-existent for [macs].

My iMac already has a PCIe SSD and a dedicated 4GB AMD Radeon R9 M395M card so increasing the amount of RAM was an option [not that I need to as the WoT Mac Wrapper runs at ~100 FPS with stock 16GB RAM].  Increased the RAM as the price had dropped - so I increased to 32GB.  Just waiting for the 16GB modules to come down and I will probably upgrade to 64GB.

Edited by black_colt, Dec 08 2016 - 04:54.

black_colt #13 Posted Dec 08 2016 - 01:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postgacl, on Dec 06 2016 - 18:57, said:

Not sure average is the word - more like expected.

black_colt #14 Posted Dec 08 2016 - 01:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostMaltfourti, on Dec 06 2016 - 19:44, said:

Thats not bad. Lower the resolution slightly, you'll pick up some frames. Try 1360ish by 768ish. You may even be able to increase the model textures.

Running the game in windowed-mode versus full-screen on my iMac 5K Retina increases the FPS as well.  For me running at the game in a  2560x1440 windows versus 5120x2880 full-screen allows me to increase the graphics settings to Max and still get about 100 FPS.

This may work for you as well.

black_colt #15 Posted Dec 08 2016 - 17:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostReiko_Nagase, on Dec 06 2016 - 18:51, said:

Unfortunately this is average performance dude :(

Intel HD 6000 are Graphics that are built into the Processor so it's not the greatest. This is known as "Integrated Graphics" and almost all Laptops have this in order to save on Power when using the battery.

There are two types of Graphics Processing Units (GPU) Your's which is built into the processor which saves power and space and a Standalone GPU which is usually in most high end desktops that is a physical card that usually slots into a PCI slot and is unrelated to your processor in any way. These are more high performance but use way more power (Why they aren't used for Laptops)

Luckily for you Integrated graphics have come a long way in 5 - 10 years. You can now game on them. Something that was not even remotely possible 5 - 10 years ago. If you were to buy a more high end Laptop it may come with a NVIDIA "M" chip which is essentially a Physical NVIDIA Graphics card scaled down to fit in a Laptop. So the best of both worlds.

For example I have a NVIDIA GTX 950. They make a NVIDIA 950 M. it's essentially the Laptop version of the GTX 950 for desktops that is slightly worse and uses less power so it works in Laptops.

But Intel HD 6000 is perfect for WOT. I used to play WOT on HD 4000. So you should be pretty set.

Hope this helps!

-Reiko

You said [Why they aren't used for Laptops] that is only partially true for MacBook[s] - the MacBook, 13 inch MacBook Pro, the entry-level 15 inch MacBook Pro, and 11 and 13 inch MacBook Airs do not have a discrete [dedicated/Standalone] video cards - which generally makes them not ideal for games.

An integrated and discrete [dedicated/Standalone] video card are used in the 15 inch MacBook Pro [non-entry level model] and have been for several years.  

Currently it is an AMD Radeon R9 [with 2GB RAM] which replaced the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M [with 2GB] that was in the Mid 2014 models. 

​Some Tricks I Have Learned While Playing WoT Mac Wrapper

Always play the game with the power supply connected.  This allows OS X to extract maximum graphics performance from the video card,  The fans will run at full/very high speeds as well - this is normal and to be expected.  The MacBook may become warmer as you continue to play - e.g. over an hour - and this is expected as well. Playing on the battery will drain the battery very fast and OS X will start throttling graphics performance after you reach about 5 percent capacity.

If you want you can run a graphics switching control utility and a fan speed control utility on your MacBook [all models].  OS X is generally very good about managing both - but I prefer to have specific control so I can reduce any issues at the start versus waiting for the OS to do.

Why A Graphics Switching Utility?

To force the use of the discrete video card when running WoT on my MacBook Pro - this prevents OS X from switching back and forth between the integrated and discrete card to conserve energy  I have not, to date, had any issues with OS X switching back and forth.

Why A Fan Speed Control Utility

Also I run a fan control utility so I can [tune] the fan speeds based on the app I am running so that I reduce the possibility of OS X throttling the game due to thermal issues related to the graphics card running at full-speed [which it does with the WoT Mac Wrapper]

Hope this helps ...

Edited by black_colt, Dec 08 2016 - 17:25.

gacl #16 Posted Dec 14 2016 - 19:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16571 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Dec 08 2016 - 17:13, said:

You said [Why they aren't used for Laptops] that is only partially true for MacBook[s] - the MacBook, 13 inch MacBook Pro, the entry-level 15 inch MacBook Pro, and 11 and 13 inch MacBook Airs do not have a discrete [dedicated/Standalone] video cards - which generally makes them not ideal for games.

An integrated and discrete [dedicated/Standalone] video card are used in the 15 inch MacBook Pro [non-entry level model] and have been for several years.  

Currently it is an AMD Radeon R9 [with 2GB RAM] which replaced the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M [with 2GB] that was in the Mid 2014 models. 

​Some Tricks I Have Learned While Playing WoT Mac Wrapper

Always play the game with the power supply connected.  This allows OS X to extract maximum graphics performance from the video card,  The fans will run at full/very high speeds as well - this is normal and to be expected.  The MacBook may become warmer as you continue to play - e.g. over an hour - and this is expected as well. Playing on the battery will drain the battery very fast and OS X will start throttling graphics performance after you reach about 5 percent capacity.

If you want you can run a graphics switching control utility and a fan speed control utility on your MacBook [all models].  OS X is generally very good about managing both - but I prefer to have specific control so I can reduce any issues at the start versus waiting for the OS to do.

Why A Graphics Switching Utility?

To force the use of the discrete video card when running WoT on my MacBook Pro - this prevents OS X from switching back and forth between the integrated and discrete card to conserve energy  I have not, to date, had any issues with OS X switching back and forth.

Why A Fan Speed Control Utility

Also I run a fan control utility so I can [tune] the fan speeds based on the app I am running so that I reduce the possibility of OS X throttling the game due to thermal issues related to the graphics card running at full-speed [which it does with the WoT Mac Wrapper]

Hope this helps ...

So what fan control utility would you recommend thats safe?

Thanks

black_colt #17 Posted Dec 14 2016 - 22:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postgacl, on Dec 14 2016 - 10:48, said:

So what fan control utility would you recommend thats safe?

Thanks

This is a great app and there is an native MS Windows app for when you are running Boot Camp - http://www.crystalid...acs-fan-control

I have used this app for years with great success.  I would recommend that you look at this app if you are thinking of running Boot Camp anytime soon. 

Some people like this app - https://www.macupdat...9/smcfancontrol

But I have run into issues with it [probably because I sometimes run non-public builds of OS X].

Currently I am running this app as I no longer have/and do not see the need for Boot Camp - https://www.tunabell...ware.com/tgpro/

Hope this helps ...

wardo45 #18 Posted Apr 29 2018 - 00:47

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
h

jocarot #19 Posted May 05 2018 - 02:27

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20179 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Dec 07 2016 - 20:26, said:

Running the game in windowed-mode versus full-screen on my iMac 5K Retina increases the FPS as well.  For me running at the game in a  2560x1440 windows versus 5120x2880 full-screen allows me to increase the graphics settings to Max and still get about 100 FPS.

This may work for you as well.

100fps?

How you do that?

Now im running 45 to 50 fps max windowed  mode 1920x1080 (game crash with full screen) 

Lethalhavoc #20 Posted May 05 2018 - 02:30

Major

• Players
  • 38719 battles

View Postjocarot, on May 04 2018 - 18:27, said:

100fps?

How you do that?

Now im running 45 to 50 fps max windowed  mode 1920x1080 (game crash with full screen) 

This is a 2 year old thread.

If you want answers send a PM to Black, he's the best we have when it comes to Apple advice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users