GMM.dds file names and other help for a Skorpion G retexture

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Friendship_Is_Magic #1 Posted Dec 18 2016 - 15:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10750 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

I was wondering if any skin gurus could help me understand how the GMM.dds texture files work.  If my understanding is correct, the GMM designation is to denote a reflective map with the red channel being metallic and the green channel being roughness (as per another thread).  If this is true, how might I go about finding the specific name for the Skorpion G's GMM file and attempting to modify the reflectivity of the Skorpion G (or any other tank, really) to be something more along the lines of the Panther's:

Spoiler

Basically how do I make my Skorpion's sheen a little brighter/ more oily looking?

Any explanations are welcome, as well as links to other threads that I may have missed in my search.  Thank you.

And edit for clarity:  The Skorpion G's package folders do not include GMM.dds files, though the unused basic metal Skorpion's package folders do.

Edited by Friendship_Is_Magic, Dec 18 2016 - 15:14.

Milkym4n #2 Posted Dec 18 2016 - 16:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 37 battles

The Skorpion G uses the standard Skorpion's texture maps except the albedo (AM) located in the G114_Skorpian folder.

Block Quote

If my understanding is correct, the GMM designation is to denote a reflective map with the red channel being metallic and the green channel being roughness (as per another thread).

Not quite right.

R is used for glossiness while G is metallness.

R values for most tanks are somewhere in the range of 100-140 with optics or glass being closer to 255

G has a base value of 60-63 for the reflective value of painted metal and a wide range from 80-200 for bare metal.

If you want to make your Skorpion shinier/oilier all you need to do is increase the R values with either a curve adjustment or levels.

Friendship_Is_Magic #3 Posted Dec 18 2016 - 16:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10750 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

Ah!  Perfect, thank you very much for the informative reply, Milky, I'm honored.  : ]

I had a hunch the Skorpion G's model pulled from the base Skorpion's folder, but I hadn't bothered with that yet, convinced it was a naming thing.

Just the hull test, will reduce:

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users