Post your artillery tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

wozron #1 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 15:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2064 battles
  • [PHX] PHX
Well I have 4 arty pieces now, to match my 12 tanks and 6 TD's.
I find that although a lot of people complain about arty, it has a number of weaknesses that good arty pilots need to take into account.
Below are some tips to help recruits on their march to arty greatness.
I hope some folks find these helpful.

-CARRIAGE TRAVERSE WHILE AIMING
When you need to turn to engage new targets, don't let the gun traverse 'drag' the body of your SPG. That's the tail wagging the dog.
For instance, if someone has broken through on your right flank and you need to target him, pivot your arty piece with the direction keys while you aim.
If your gun reaches the far edge of its traverse while aiming, the body of the SPG will then pivot a little, widening your reticle and throwing off your aim.
Think about where your preferred target will be in 15 seconds, pivot there quickly, then let the reticle settle.
This is probably the most important thing to learn as an arty driver, as it will slash your aiming time and decrease the number of times your reticle 'pops open' while you desperately try to engage that new target.

-WIDE FIREBASE
Three artillery pieces firing from the same location will be stymied by the same dead ground.
If these three arty pieces are spread evenly across a map's backline, there will be less dead ground for the enemy to hide in.
Also, when spread out, the arty will not be bunched up and vulnerable to a determined fast light breaking through and killing the whole artillery park.
To increase lethality and decrease vulnerability, don't park near other arty pieces. Take the extra minute to relocate to another area.
You'll get more kills and suffer less losses.

-COMMS IS KEY
The first thing you need to upgrade on an artillery piece is the radio.
Other tanks are your eyes and radio signals are the optic nerves. A tank that spots a juicy target can't tell you if he can't reach you.
When platooning with other arty, use Teamspeak or Ventrilo where possible to coordinate your attacks. Make sure you have a wide firebase to minimise dead ground.
When platooning with tanks, ensure you let them know what your maximum range is and where the dead ground is ("can provide support out to A5, dead ground behind rocks at B3").
Tell them when you're supporting them, warn them if you need to stop (ie to target another enemy).
When platooning with TD's, make sure that they know where the ambush points are for likely attackers (ie fast light tanks).
You have a better view of the battlefield and more time to use it. Use that to provide info to your team.
Additionally, make a note of the names of the other arty pieces on your team. Use 'T' when aiming to designate your targets.
This reduces overkill (ie shells landing on a dead target) but only if other arty pieces are doing the same.

-DAMAGE>KILLS
You are better off damaging four enemy tanks for 25% each than killing only one.
As an arty player, you have range and indirect fire on your side. You don't need to see someone to hit them.
By hitting one target, you:
-make him nervous because he's been spotted;
-potentially break tracks or crit modules;
-injure him so that tanks and TD's can finish him off more easily;
-possibly throw 'splash damage' from a different quarter, making it seem like he's being attacked from the flanks or rear when he's not;
-force him to seek cover, reducing his lines of fire and freeing up your own tanks for manoeuvre.
Artillery is a 'force multiplier'. It's hard for arty to get a lot of kills but easy for them to inflict a large amount of damage across multiple targets.
Don't get bloodthirsty, sometimes it's better to leave that KV at 15% and hit its 100% teammate and bust it's track.

-MOBILITY SUPPORT
All arty has to offer is its firepower.
Do not be afraid to move forward if your range isn't great and you need fresh targets.
An arty piece out of radio range and firing range is no good for anything.
Arty is a support unit, don't be afraid to move forward to provide that support.

-CREW AND GIZMOS
Win before you go in.
Aim for 100% crew with a good spread of camouflage, repair and firefighting skills, in that order.
Invest in binocular telescopes, camo nets and gun laying drives (for speed of aim) or rammers (for rate of fire).
I prefer gun laying drives as many arty pieces have small amounts of ammo, making speed of aim more more important than rate of fire.
If you can spare the gold, making the Commander 100% for 200 gold will add 10% to all crew skills.
If you are going to do this, recruit the crew without training as you don't want to spend 20,000 silver training a commander only to spend another 200 gold getting him to 100%.
This also allows you to selectively boost certain members (gunners, loaders) without 'double paying'.

Feel free to add your own ideas, tips and findings.

See you in the game! But I'm not sure if you'll see me :)

-wozron

Hirumaru #2 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 15:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6414 battles
Finger, Fist, LOL.  :D

Why do I have such a dirty mind . . .

__Worm__ #3 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 37791 battles
Give support where it is needed not the ez kill.
Don't teamkill trying to get the kill.

Rykning #4 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:05

Major

• Players
  • 59257 battles
  • [LOWJO] LOWJO

Don't get bloodthirsty, sometimes it's better to leave that KV at 15% and hit its 100% teammate and bust it's track.

Or you can hit the enemy at 100%, and use the splash damage to kill the KV

Invest in binocular telescopes, camo nets and gun laying drives (for speed of aim) or rammers (for rate of fire).
I prefer gun laying drives as many arty pieces have small amounts of ammo, making speed of aim more more important than rate of fire

Binoculars increase view range, so if an SPG is in the back, other tanks will be spotting targets for you, rendering binoculars useless. I find the best combination to be Cammo Net, Gun Laying Drive, and Shell Rammer.

But this is a very good set of tips!  :Smile_honoring:

wozron #5 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2064 battles
  • [PHX] PHX

View PostBuccaneer, on Aug 07 2011 - 16:05, said:

Or you can hit the enemy at 100%, and use the splash damage to kill the KV

Assuming they're not 150m apart, like I did  :Smile_great:

View PostBuccaneer, on Aug 07 2011 - 16:05, said:

Binoculars increase view range, so if an SPG is in the back, other tanks will be spotting targets for you, rendering binoculars useless. I find the best combination to be Cammo Net, Gun Laying Drive, and Shell Rammer.

Ahhhhh good advice... but binocs are cheap and remountable, and I like to move up in support.

Poor man's setup: camo cloak + binocs + repair kit + high ground + move to support.
Rich man's setup: camo cloak + rammer + laying drive + good radio + good engine + good tracks + high ground + move to support.

It all depends where you are in tier, attitude and experience.
What works for one may not work for another. The rich man's game is definitely better if you can afford it.

Cheers Buccaneer  :Smile_honoring:

Rykning #6 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:26

Major

• Players
  • 59257 battles
  • [LOWJO] LOWJO

Ahhhhh good advice... but binocs are cheap and remountable, and I like to move up in support.

Poor man's setup: camo cloak + binocs + repair kit + high ground + move to support.
Rich man's setup: camo cloak + rammer + laying drive + good radio + good engine + good tracks + high ground + move to support.

It all depends where you are in tier, attitude and experience.
What works for one may not work for another. The rich man's game is definitely better if you can afford it.

Although I guess that early artillery with low range (SU-26, Stock M37, Bison I & II) are going to be at the front lines, so the binoculars would be useful.

Cheers Mate! Good Hunting!  :Smile-izmena:

DemilichKing #7 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6487 battles
Even if you can't hit the target when you see scenery damage(trees falling, fences cracking) you should give your team a heads up.

A simple "trees down by the village" or what have you can make a big difference to competent tankers. Also memorize which buildings are destroyable could come in handy.

Dismantler #8 Posted Aug 07 2011 - 16:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 1977 battles
At close range (few grid squares), don't shoot targetting an area behind an ally unless there is quite a distance between the ally and the beginning of the targetting reticle.  The aiming system will tell you about trajectory interception by a building or piece of landscape, but not an ally's turrent/tank who may/will be clipped by the artillery shell.

wozron #9 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 13:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2064 battles
  • [PHX] PHX
-BALLISTIC RECONNAISSANCE
You'll get back to base faster without all that ammo weighing you down.
Certain arty pieces, such as the M37 and M7 Priest, carry a lot of ammo to offset low damage potential.
When ammo is cheap and plentiful, and reload times relatively short, you should not be afraid to throw random shots into suspicious looking bushes.
I've gotten into the habit of shwacking good hiding spots in the Priest when there's nothing better to do and the results are often surprising.

This tactic can be very rewarding when you have units moving in on the enemy base.
In a recent game in Ruinberg I was lobbing shells randomly into the enemy base and dislodged a couple of Hetzers.
I'd damaged them both and they apparently broke cover in time for some allies comiing down the road to the base to nail them in the flank.

You should also throw a extra shot or two into a 'last known location' if nothing better presents itself.
With the Priest's small splash, some near misses may not have even been noticed, but a direct hit might liven things up.

-READ THE BEATEN ZONE
Different tubes have different arcs.
Your reticle's shape is just as important as its size.
A round reticle indicates plunging fire, making 'top deck' hits more likely, as well as being better at arcing over terrain that the enemy is hiding behind.
An oval/elongated reticle indicates a flatter trajectory, making misses more likely, side hits more common than top deck hits, and enemy cover/dead ground more effective.

If your reticle is normally elongated, but appears round when targeting an enemy, it means that he's parked on a downslope and you have a chance for a top deck hit.
Imagine looking head-on at an enemy tank with your long reticle. Then tilt that tank 45 degrees nose-down- he's just exposed his rear deck to you.
That's what a rounding reticle is telling you when it happens.
This is gold for someone with a flat-shooting piece as these tubes normally do large amounts of damage to compensate for normally hitting the sides, rear or front of the tank.
Similarly, if you normally shoot a round reticle aand it suddenly elongates excessively, you're probably aiming at someone on a 'reverse slope' and your chances of missing are increased.

More to come as I figure them out.  :Smile_honoring:

pyantoryng #10 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 22217 battles
Do not hesitate to lend your firepower in direct-fire mode if the need arises.

Sounds dumb, but I do that a lot. :Smile-hiding:

Deusmortis #11 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 14:26

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 22603 battles
A good list.  There are a few things I would add, or add a different perspective to:

View Postwozron, on Aug 07 2011 - 15:49, said:

-CARRIAGE TRAVERSE WHILE AIMING
Pressing "x" will engage your parking brake.  This will prevent you from turning your hull when your gun hits the edge of your firing arc.  Of course, this means you're locked in to a limited field of fire until you turn it off.  This is useful for higher tier, slow loading/aiming SPG's.  Having your reticule open up with these big boys is rough, it may take a considerable amount of time to settle it back in.  Locking your tracks will allow you to safely aim at the edge of your arc.  After you fire, release the brake by pressing "x" again, and move your hull so that you're pointed at your next shot.

-WIDE FIREBASE

Additionally, learn where you can set up and hit busy spots.  Even in city maps, there are areas that will allow you to drop shells on busy intersections.  Be careful, though:  Experienced arti players know these spots, and may blind fire on them.

-DAMAGE>KILLS
You are better off damaging four enemy tanks for 25% each than killing only one.

Largely true.  There are, however, times when it is in your best interest to kill a foe.  Even if it only has 1 hp, an enemy tank can still fire and be effective.  Sometimes, removing that threat is a better option than scratching a full health target.

Finish off an enemy when:
He's a well armored heavy/TD, and your team is having difficulty doing damage to him.
He's reloaded, and will be able to fire on your team before your team finishes him off.
You have no other targets.  Better to use the shell than sit around not firing.

-MOBILITY SUPPORT
All arty has to offer is its firepower.
Arty is a support unit, don't be afraid to move forward to provide that support.

Additionally, be on the lookout for opportunities.  I've seen several games turned by a quick thinking arti piece who made a dash for the enemy base, and captured it before slow enemy tanks could get there.  I've also seen games saved by smart SPG's who moved away from their base when an enemy was closing in to cap, repositioned to a hidden spot, and shot the cappers while teammates spotted.

-CREW AND GIZMOS
Win before you go in.
Aim for 100% crew with a good spread of camouflage, repair and firefighting skills, in that order.
I prefer gun laying drives as many arty pieces have small amounts of ammo, making speed of aim more more important than rate of fire.

Generally speaking, arti dies in a shot, maybe two.  Repair and firefighting are almost useless, in my opinion.  I'd train everyone in camo first, then worry about the others later.  You can use the 3000 credit repair kits and fire extinguishers in the rare times where you survive a hit, and a second hit isn't immediately following it.

I concur with the previous poster who suggested Camo Net/Rammer/Gun laying drive as your equipment.  SPG's should mostly depend on their teammates' spotting range, not their own.

Sadukar09 #12 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 14:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19837 battles
Moved to guides/tutorials.

Nisae #13 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 16:06

Major

• Players
  • 15170 battles
When shooting on the move,aim slightly lower.

The shell arcs,and it should hit,compensate for the range as well.

fsjd #14 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 11077 battles
  • [TT] TT
learn the arty hiding spots for each map.
watch where your teams arty goes, and look where the enemy arty is.
when you have, give em a minute to setup, then shoot those spots.
works best with larger arty due to splash. also smaller arty does well, due to large ammo loadout.

direct fire is iffy.
if ya miss ya die, but if youre base is bein overrun you can definatly slow down the cap.
killed one, damaged 3 this way. somehow they ignored me, and somehow i survived a few hits... till they got around to killin me <_<

challenge: get steelwall and/or sniper in any arty piece.

ghoststrike1 #15 Posted Aug 27 2011 - 23:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2737 battles
in a city map dont go to the clear area and park, scouts will light you up immedietly.

Vinedragon #16 Posted Aug 28 2011 - 05:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2710 battles
If you don't have a hard hitting gun, such as the SU-5's weapons in general, that cannot do noticeable damage to the heavier tanks that others can easily break down, aim for the normally less prioritized targets to maximize your effectiveness.

ghsty9700 #17 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 05:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4698 battles
No mention of targeting priority. I like to aim for enemy artillery then TDs and then other tanks... usually mediums first.

I find without any supporting tanks that heavies aren't as big of a threat. It feeds back into the force multiplier tip, where you reduce their diversity and eliminate that advantage.

I agree largely about spreading your damage between multiple tanks being better than killing a single tank. I feel it could be broken down a bit more.

If an enemy tank is primarily a gun platform, like a tank destroyer... or is highly mobile, like a most mediums. Then an opportunity to remove them should be taken.

If an enemy tank is pretty much a wall, like most Heavies. Then spreading the damage around to help your teammates make the kill is a better choice.

Basically, what helps your team the most. Removing a sniper's firepower and a harasser's mobility saves lives. Controlling and irritating heavily armored targets allows for your own team to make the kill.

Jawmare #18 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 07:10

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3465 battles
  • [ONE] ONE
1. Roll your face on teh keyboard
2. ???
3. Profit.

Keep it on topic......Warned

ARGO

Edited by ARGO, Aug 30 2011 - 04:32.
Verbal Warning

_Ruffles_ #19 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 07:50

Major

• Players
  • 7208 battles
- If you can, buy and load HEAT shells when in a Tier 3/4-8 arty. That way, you can protect the heavies if the wolfpack has little resistance.
- Try to stayclose enough to support your team with direct fire, but far enough to avoid getting shot/scouted by tanks.
- When there is "radio silence", COMMANDEER/RALLY THE TEAM. A team who follows orders are better than a team who doesn't!
- Contact, contact, contact! Every bit of info you know from your allies are one more thing your team can benefit from!
- Co-operation with the Tank Destroyers are essential. Since they can't hit the fast targets, hit them so they're easier to kill/allows your ally to focus on a higher priority target.
- Caps + 0 with obvious manual aim is also good if you want to lead/lag shot a moving tank.

I'll come up with some later, if any come up.

kampfer91 #20 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 11:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16158 battles
  • [AKAGI] AKAGI
When your force are engaging the enemy , target the tanks that hang behind the front line , these tanks tend to stand and snipe everyone because they think that their ally will distract the enemy from them . This will make them an easy target for arty  B)
Choose your target wisely , your 1st piority is quicky destroy any tank that have big gun but paper armor , and all arty must focus that target  :lol:
Let's the other arty know which tank you gonna shoot , this will help you avoid the overkill , especially when targeting a low HP tank or enemy arty  :)
When you're in a high tier battle , don't hide in a bush unless the enemy is going to knock your door , because :
1 / no one is going spot you soon
2 / you can aim faster since you waste no time to find a bush and try to fit in
3 / And finally , in high tier battle , enemy arties tend to shoot at the bush aka blind fire , so many time i saw this happen , hiding in a bush , and then kaboom , and after that ,the unfortunate arty 's player kept accusing the enemy is using hack <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users