How good/bad is the KRUPP-STEYR WAFFENTRAGER?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Clutch_Shot_007 #1 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26169 battles
I'm thinking it might be nice to have a german premium TD for crew training purposes, but only if the tank is good.

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:27

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
...not "good"

AndrewSledge #3 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31566 battles
If you were wanting a German premium TD, you should have bought either the Skorpion G or the E-25 when they came out in recent weeks. My impression of the KSW is it has good camo, a decent gun, and a fully rotating turret. But it is slow and unarmored, so it won't be very flexible. In a city map, you'll have a tough time.

DraconX3 #4 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10143 battles

Its better than people who dont even have it say. I have it, and it takes a very typical TD playstyle.

The strength of this tank really is in its camo. Its actually pretty DAMN good. Along with reloading nearly as fast as the Tiger 1, this tank makes an excellent sniper from behind your team mates, especially in a well hidden position.

Not to mention the camo on the move is pretty freakin sweet. Combine this with a good crew and skills? Dang son....

Dont let the haters dissuade you, most of it comes from people who dont even own the tank.

It is slow as crap, but that just means the other guys can take the enemys attention while you get into a good firing position =3

BigRedTankGuy #5 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:51

Captain

• Players
  • 28045 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
The speed of this thing is what is giving me pause. If they buff the speed I may give this a second look. To me if your going to be slow you better have armor or a big gun. This has camo but if that fails you your going to be screwed as you have no back up.

CrazzyStreaker #6 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5828 battles

ill have a better feel for it after i get 250 or more games in but initially i think it needs one more round per min added to its firing rate and a larger engine (its painfully slow as it is now) but it has great camo, decent penn  .

i would be happy with just a speed increase .

E25_Syndrome_Aito #7 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:58

Major

• Players
  • 60111 battles
  • [2-ND] 2-ND

As long as the fight is from the range you will be having massive amounts of enjoyment.

But when it comes to actual ability to move, you will have less fun.

And World of Corridors is not very healthy for vehicles like this, but the gun is heavenly.

Wit quite good camouflage.

At least it looks good, so you do not have to look at some ugly vehicle when playing.

Mokoma #8 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 15:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 13858 battles
I would've thought about it if it had a more powerful engine. It's slow overall, and it can't climb hills at more than a crawl. That kills it for me.

TornadoADV #9 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 16:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24405 battles
  • [ESC] ESC
I love it, it's turret turns more then fast enough to defend itself in a brawl and has enough short start mobility to avoid rams. Compare it more to the US Scorpion then the GER E-25.

BaconMeLoveIt #10 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 20:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13820 battles
  • [-STN-] -STN-

View Post677t, on Dec 24 2016 - 06:05, said:

I'm thinking it might be nice to have a german premium TD for crew training purposes, but only if the tank is good.

If you are the type who has a tendency to yolo alot, then choosing less mobile vehicles may be a good thing.

View PostGasai__Yuno, on Dec 24 2016 - 06:58, said:

As long as the fight is from the range you will be having massive amounts of enjoyment.

But when it comes to actual ability to move, you will have less fun.

And World of Corridors is not very healthy for vehicles like this, but the gun is heavenly.

Wit quite good camouflage.

At least it looks good, so you do not have to look at some ugly vehicle when playing.

^^ what he/she stated. Plans on getting one myself. Still have two weeks or so before it's gone on the premium shop.

Catatonick #11 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 22:59

Captain

• Players
  • 15571 battles
  • [IDIED] IDIED
Yeah, like others have said if you are fighting from a distance it's a pretty fun vehicle. Up close and personal... well at least the traverse is enough that you can go down swinging.

Worst case scenario if your team manages to wipe the enemy out before you can make it to the fight you still get 20k credits.

TLWiz #12 Posted Dec 25 2016 - 04:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 20605 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

I bought it and I like it.  I do have the Dicker Max, E25, Skorp G, and JgTg 8.8 too.  I skipped the Kanonenjagdpanzer one so I guess I don't buy everything.

The Krupp-Steyr WT is pretty competitive for a tier 7.  Same gun as the tier 8 JgTg 8.8 and it is in a 360° turret.  Mobility is limited and armor is crap so it is an ambusher.

OwenGlendower #13 Posted Dec 25 2016 - 15:13

Major

• Players
  • 27063 battles

It seems like it has zero gun depression, and to make it worse the business with the gun elevating when positioned over the "fenders" or whatever they are is really annoying. It has its points, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy it.

My least favorite German premium TD.

Cav_Tanker_3_4_Cav #14 Posted Dec 25 2016 - 15:13

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35452 battles
  • [SAMDG] SAMDG
I've only played the Krupp once so far my biggest problem isn't the speed or the lack of armor, it's the wonky gun depression. If you go hull down to hide the tank the gun losses significant gun depression to the right and left of center on the tank. They key on corridor maps, when there is no cover is to use range and sit outside of your enemies view range. If you like TD's its worth buying the base tank and skip the packages.

Clutch_Shot_007 #15 Posted Dec 25 2016 - 16:41

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26169 battles

I have the Rhm.-Borsig Waffentrager (tier 8), and judging from the comments this Tier 7 sounds similar.  The Tier 8 has great camo *and* a great gun *and* a turret.  The fully upgraded Tier 8 gun is simply devastating.  However, speed and maneuverability and armor are low, so the best way to play it seems to be as a long range sniper (where very often you're an invisitank).  With Binocs you can do most of your own spotting, except against other high camo tanks.

So, *if* the Tier 7 really is like the Tier 8, that would be OK by me.

According to the Wiki, the gun depression on the Krupp is -8.  The Rfm-Borsig's is only -5, so in that respect, maybe the Krupp is actually better.  

Edited by 677t, Dec 25 2016 - 16:49.

Grasschopper #16 Posted Dec 25 2016 - 17:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 34684 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

View Post677t, on Dec 25 2016 - 10:41, said:

I have the Rhm.-Borsig Waffentrager (tier 8), and judging from the comments this Tier 7 sounds similar.  The Tier 8 has great camo *and* a great gun *and* a turret.  The fully upgraded Tier 8 gun is simply devastating.  However, speed and maneuverability and armor are low, so the best way to play it seems to be as a long range sniper (where very often you're an invisitank).  With Binocs you can do most of your own spotting, except against other high camo tanks.

So, *if* the Tier 7 really is like the Tier 8, that would be OK by me.

According to the Wiki, the gun depression on the Krupp is -8.  The Rfm-Borsig's is only -5, so in that respect, maybe the Krupp is actually better.  

Ok so it has BETTER camo than the Rhm.  Same gun as the tier 8 pref JT88 (so fits just fine with non pref tier 7).  Yes it's slow slow slow.

Rammer, Binocs, Camo net and your Rhm crew and go to town...knowing you're slow.  lol

But right...pretty much a tier 7 Rhm IMO

HieronymusBosch #17 Posted Dec 29 2016 - 00:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 29013 battles

I have played a good number of matches in German TD's and I put a 4 skill crew in with full camo skill, paint, and net.  Played 50 games so far.  Here is the experience.

Cons:

1.  Even with 100 octane gas, it is painfully slow.  If moving up a hill is included in your path from base to your hide, just drive it into water and drown yourself to save time.

2.  The gun is infuriatingly inaccurate.  I have sat unseen and shot three fully aimed rounds at a target that filled 90% of the reticle only to have all three shots dive for the 10% that was obstructed.  If your experience has been different, great.  But this has been mine.

3.  The first time you get hit you will lose either your gun, or your engine, or a track.  Many times you lose two of these at once.  Often you will also lose crew as well on the first shot, so after one hit, you are out of repairs and meds.  I understand it is the nature of the vehicle design, but the frequency with which it happens exceeds any other vehicle I have played.

Pros:

1.  If you can master positioning the vehicle, camo is very good.  I have almost had more success playing it like a scout than a sniper.  It is a slow scout, but it does work if you are patient.

2.  Turret traverse is surprisingly fast and you can defend yourself if a scout gets in close, but only if you can one shot them.  If it will take a second shot to save yourself, meh.

3.  It seems to find a niche in the end game or in a 1v1 vs a slow heavy.  If a slow heavy ( ie Churchill) is trying to drive you down, you can crawl away shooting over the back end before taking every corner and usually kill them before you die.  In the end game where many enemies are damaged to the point of being one shots and you have adequate concealment, you can have success picking off the wounded as they try to take base. You also become an effective scout for arty in this circumstance.

I don't think it quite qualifies as a Tier VII Rhm, perhaps an RHM wannabe.  Needs a buff to speed and/or accuracy to make it worth playing imho.

Manodedios69 #18 Posted Dec 30 2016 - 09:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 34020 battles
  • [SHAQ] SHAQ

While I love the look of the tank and the idea of it, it falls short in many regards.

The speed of the tank leaves it to be the tank that camps instead of changing the game.

Forward speed is below grade, nothing like any other premium td other than the Dicker Max.

Reverse speed makes it difficult to get out of the firing line once spotted.

The damage of the gun is just ok (240 hitpoints), Dicker Max beats it with more alpha damage and the Skorpion G well it doesn't come close; less than half of the G.

Gun accuracy is painful at times, you could be totally zero'd in and the shell will wander away from the target like you were shooting while moving.

It has great camo but this only works if the maps are of a scale to show how well this tank can work.

I enjoy playing it when I want to creep around and do some damage but don't expect it to be the tank to turn the tide of a battle.

Everything can pen you, don't think I have bounced much in it if anything.

Tank needs a lot of buffs before I recommended it to anyone to buy.

Forward and reverse speed needs to be enhanced for it to become what it has the potential to totally contribute in a battle.

Gun could use more hit if not a more respectable reload; it does after all have a full crew in this tank.

As stated above for a long barrelled sniper she is not too accurate and can and will let you down, this needs to be worked.

NorwegianNinja #19 Posted Jan 01 2017 - 04:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 30993 battles
  • [DYNO] DYNO

I bought it thinking it would be skorp G-ish at tier 7... it's not.

Normally thinly armored things have some hint of power/speed... but the krapp-waffle... sigh... It's just awful. 

Edited by NorwegianNinja, Jan 02 2017 - 07:51.

Xirhanna #20 Posted Jan 03 2017 - 00:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7880 battles
  • [MUG-W] MUG-W
Quickybaby did a good review on this.  :3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users