Confused: IS-6 and Winrate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Oxboy1212 #1 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 01:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 51230 battles

A little background..

I'm coming up on 20k total battles, with most of those midtier (but I am creeping up).  My overall winrate is around 53.75%.  My winrates in heavies tend to pull this up.

I have over 300 battles in my IS-6 so that should be a pretty good sample size for winrate.  Wotlabs says in order to be borderline darkgreen/teal (1600 WN8 more or less), you need 53.63% winrate.  My winrate however is 49.22% !!  So basically I've been a liability to my team for 300+ games!

My damage hovers around 1,400.  Not awesome, but not horrible.  I go where heavies should go.  I know weakspots.  I sling gold when I need to.  This is pref MM so I should be at a little advantage.

I also understand that Tier 8 can be a grabbag mix of seasoned players, wallet warriors, prem noobs and so forth, making winrates a bit wonky.   I also know that the IS-6 is a very popular tank, so the stats may be skewed by both really good players and really bad players.

Any thoughts as to why my winrate isn't more in line with the dark green/teals (or at least more in line with my 51%+ Tier 8 avg)?  Any anecdotes or insights beyond "git gudder" or "carry herder" ?

X32Wright #2 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:07

Captain

• VT Coordinator
  • 44493 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

Due to the weak gun vs tanks armor that you would face, it is advisable to use only GOLD shells in the IS-6.  Using Vertical Stabilizer,rammer and Vents is also necessary. In battles that you are top tank you need to be a bit aggressive when you have the advantage (you have the cover and best tank position on the map) and conservative when you at  at a disadvantage (no cover and worse map position).

PS: This is the way I have played my IS-6 (2,500 battles with 58% winrate) and some people would surely feel differently.

Edited by X32Wright, Jan 04 2017 - 02:09.

Reginscythe #3 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5595 battles

Maybe your winrate is still recovering from when you were first learning the tank?

I know when I first got the Charioteer, I was a liability to my team (sorry if I was over on your team in my Charioteer.) I hadn't really got to grips with the fragile TD playstyle, the Challenger was so bad it taught me nothing about the Charioteer, and for lack of free XP I had to grind out both the B barrel 20-pdr and L7 gun. Took me 163 games to get to get the L7 and get the tank fully upgraded. Ouch.

My winrate in those 163 games? 39%. Average Damage? Less than 1,000. Ouch again.

Since then, I've had a lot more fun playing the tank, glad I finally have the L7 gun, it's a dream to use and really makes the tank. I now have 203 games in the tank and.....

Winrate now after 203 games: 45% Average Damage after 203 games: 1,187

Yeah, my stats are gonna take a while to recover. But, just from personal estimate, I've been averaging around 2k damage since I got the L7 and the tank finally "clicked" for me. Just keep tanking and having fun and your stats will soon reflect your skill in the tank. Don't sweat it too much.

SpitYoYoMafia #4 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:25

Major

• Players
  • 19204 battles

Press R 3 times and snap shot things because it's a russian tank

works for me

leadtag101 #5 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20219 battles
Not to hijack thread, but because I bought this tank from the premium shop, will my gun never be upgradable? Thanks

Bloodrune #6 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15928 battles

View PostX32Wright, on Jan 03 2017 - 17:07, said:

Due to the weak gun vs tanks armor that you would face, it is advisable to use only GOLD shells in the IS-6.  Using Vertical Stabilizer,rammer and Vents is also necessary. In battles that you are top tank you need to be a bit aggressive when you have the advantage (you have the cover and best tank position on the map) and conservative when you at  at a disadvantage (no cover and worse map position).

PS: This is the way I have played my IS-6 (2,500 battles with 58% winrate) and some people would surely feel differently.

I don't think you need to shoot all gold in the IS 6. I also have a 58% WR in my IS 6, but over 600 battles. I average just under 2200 damage and I've only ever carried 6 gold shells. They help a lot, but most of the time I don't use them. The IS 6 can bully lower tiered tanks and in tier 9 games it is best used as a support heavy/medium. So you should  either look for side shots into heavies or put yourself in a position to punish enemy medium tanks. Sometimes you are forced to fight tanks like the IS 3 or E 75, and that is when you might need to load gold rounds.

I feel like 6-10 gold rounds is the best load out for this tank because it lets you take out 1-2 enemy heavies that you might need it for, but it teaches you map awareness and helps you learn to best use the tank. If I had started out running full gold I would have put myself in bad positions countless times as I tried to take on superiorly armored heavies that would make my armor look like butter. Not to mention I would have lost millions of credits.

I don't have a problem if you or anyone else shoots all gold, but I do think in the OP's case it will hurt his future progression as a player.

Flarvin #7 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:50

Major

• Players
  • 55569 battles
49.22% WR is still slightly above average. So you have not been a liability for 300 matches.  

Wtornado #8 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:55

Captain

• Players
  • 32461 battles

View PostX32Wright, on Jan 03 2017 - 20:07, said:

<S> Mr Wright

Dunfalach #9 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 02:56

Major

• Players
  • 18757 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostX32Wright, on Jan 03 2017 - 20:07, said:

I would disagree with only gold, but I agree with using mostly gold. I run 2/3 gold and have swapped the rounds around to where the premium round is in the first slot so it always loads at match start. You've got a good ammo capacity in the IS-6, so I carry a few AP and HE as well for circumstances. If I don't know what I'll encounter or know to expect anything equal tier or higher, I leave the APCR loaded. I only load AP when I am CONFIDENT I'm only facing bottom tiers, just to save a few credits. And HE when I need a reset of a cap or know I'm only hunting something with paper armor. If I haven't yet accounted for the location of every tank that might have armor, I keep APCR loaded. The credit multiplier is good enough to still profit as long as you don't miss or bounce a lot. There are very few non-howitzer tanks in the game whose AP round is genuinely underpowered for their primary combat situation, but the IS-6 is one of them.

KingtigerIVIV #10 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 03:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23860 battles

View PostOxboy1212, on Jan 04 2017 - 00:57, said:

A little background..

I'm coming up on 20k total battles, with most of those midtier (but I am creeping up).  My overall winrate is around 53.75%.  My winrates in heavies tend to pull this up.

I have over 300 battles in my IS-6 so that should be a pretty good sample size for winrate.  Wotlabs says in order to be borderline darkgreen/teal (1600 WN8 more or less), you need 53.63% winrate.  My winrate however is 49.22% !!  So basically I've been a liability to my team for 300+ games!

My damage hovers around 1,400.  Not awesome, but not horrible.  I go where heavies should go.  I know weakspots.  I sling gold when I need to.  This is pref MM so I should be at a little advantage.

I also understand that Tier 8 can be a grabbag mix of seasoned players, wallet warriors, prem noobs and so forth, making winrates a bit wonky.   I also know that the IS-6 is a very popular tank, so the stats may be skewed by both really good players and really bad players.

Any thoughts as to why my winrate isn't more in line with the dark green/teals (or at least more in line with my 51%+ Tier 8 avg)?  Any anecdotes or insights beyond "git gudder" or "carry herder" ?

If you're doing 1400 dpg, you aren't even doing your own hp in damage so it is no surprise that you are being a liability.

Because of power creep, more goldspam is necessary, especially against things like the Oh Ho and the T26E5 to remain competitive.  After playing 1500+ games in the IS-6 I feel that this tank excels only with judicious use of gold.  

Also, make sure to leverage the overmatch mechanics of the 122 mm gun.  You can overmatch many turret roofs easily with AP, like the Tiger II etc.  

asparagustasty #11 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 03:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19988 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

View PostOxboy1212, on Jan 03 2017 - 16:57, said:

A little background..

For the longest time, my Arl 44 had below a 50% WR even tho I was at around 2k+ WN8 and had 2 marks in it.  Sometimes, it's just bad luck.  However, it may also be because heavies carry higher MM weight (they're expected to do about 20% more work according to how they weigh it.)  So even tho 1400 isn't "bad", it isn't enough per se after accounting for the fact that you're in a heavy.  Lastly, the general server population does best in heavies damage-wise.  You can see it as heavies have the highest expected damage values here (Russian Tier VIII comparison, you can see the IS-6 has the highest non-arty values to get WN8): http://www.targetdam...com/ussr-tier-8

So basically when you're playing a heavy, you're "replacing" another person who statistically averages fairly high in a heavy, compared to other tanks.  If you played a light for example, the average player is terribad at it, so you'll be "replacing" a pretty bad player, so even mediocre performance will be "above average."

Sometimes, I find myself playing horribad at lights or meds but I still do alright WN8 and WR-wise because the average is so bad.  It's much harder to be "good" at heavies simply due to the way MM is weighed and the statistical averages of the server population.

Reginscythe #12 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 04:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5595 battles

View Postleadtag101, on Jan 04 2017 - 02:29, said:

Not to hijack thread, but because I bought this tank from the premium shop, will my gun never be upgradable? Thanks

No, it won't. Premium tanks only have one configuration. 

*does double take*

You have an IS-6 after 400 battles? Uh oh..........

*checks Wotlabs*

You have an IS-6, Skorpion G, IS-3A, T34, M41 90, Lowe, T-44-100, Panther 88, STA-2, E25, SU-122-44, Krupp-Steyr WT, AT-15A, and a Bromwell......your highest tier regular tank is a Hellcat, which you've played six games in. Just a suggestion, hold off on hopping in all of those premiums until you get some higher tier tanks and get a feel for the game at tiers 8-10. 

Hanger_18 #13 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 04:20

Major

• Players
  • 17602 battles
49% wr is average. You need to factor in draws as well.

earthman34 #14 Posted Jan 04 2017 - 07:36

Major

• Players
  • 51563 battles

View PostOxboy1212, on Jan 03 2017 - 18:57, said:

A little background..

The IS-6, like most other older tanks, has been power-creeped to irrelevance. I rarely have a "good" game in one. It can dominate in tier 8, but in a tier 9 game you're target material. As far as your win rate, we all have tanks with bad win rates, regardless of how well they're played. I have a number of tanks in the WN 2000 range with tomato win rates, they're just unlucky, badly matched tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users