M3 Lee... Advice, and which tank next

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Boghie #1 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 20:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2693 battles

Well,

I ran up the German line to the DW2.  I hate that tank with a passion.  But, at least the 'grind' to the next tank wasn't a complete misery.  You don't seem to hurt your team too much if you show up with the Doosh (sic) Wagon.  Can't do anything unless you are top tier.  Can't flex anywhere.  Can't take any punishment except from pew pew guns.  Can't pen anything in your class or sometimes even your tier - and when you do:  who cares...  But, I have been on 50%+ winning teams so at least the rest of you can carry my Doosh Bag...

But, the M3 Lee.  Absolutely unbelievable.  I guess it is my first TD, but it is a tall TD with no cammo.  I get nailed by tanks I cannot even see.  The gun is extremely inaccurate.  Every time I move from one target to the next my tank moves (cammo blown???).  And, I have been on two winning teams in 11 games - with me doing basically nothing but maybe a kill and my death.  I would take the Doosh Wagon every time.  I didn't really know what 'Free Experience' was till I found out I had very little.  The Doosh wagon to the VK wasn't horrid, this thing makes me dread the 14K experience grind.

Anyway, if I have to drive my Win% into the 30%s than maybe some of you can help in two ways:

• Is there a way to maximize experience or pull it off other tanks (I have dead experience on them)
  • Which line should I advance on.  My goal is Heavy, but my heart is Medium.  I like the PzIVD, PzIIIE, and even the PzIII/IV.  I hate the Doosh Wagon.

And, just to think, I just brought my wonderful Win% to over 46% and was looking at progressing from a Tomato to an Orange.  Small steps, very small steps - but at least progress.  Now the Doosh and the Turd on Tracks.

Patonb #2 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 20:54

Major

• Players
  • 26174 battles

Play it like a TD. Unless you're top tier, play 2nd string.
It has a good gun for 4 and decent front armour.

As for next, Grind both M4 and T1 now while you are still at it.

Nudnick #3 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 20:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16436 battles
You need to buy gold to convert all the xp tied up in your other tanks. I had the same problems until I started just ignoring my tanks that hurt me and just grinding up the ladder without even playing the tank. As you make xp with your other tanks just use it to unlock your way up the ladder.

Edited by Nudnick, Jan 08 2017 - 20:57.

TankFullOfBourbon #4 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 18853 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Free XP. Any other tank is better. There's nothing you pick up from the M3 Lee that will make you a better player. It's just grief and tragedy.

Patonb #5 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:13

Major

• Players
  • 26174 battles

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Jan 08 2017 - 15:11, said:

Free XP. Any other tank is better. There's nothing you pick up from the M3 Lee that will make you a better player. It's just grief and tragedy.

At 2200 games I highly doubt he has it.

Boghie #6 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2693 battles

I should put this somewhere else, but:

• Has WG thought to have a medal for those who win a certain number of battles in either the Doosh or the Turd?

Thanks, Nudnick.  I see the mechanism now.  Really did not understand how to unlock the experience I have built in tanks I've enjoyed.  Hate using gold for that, but I think I hate the M3 Lee worse than paying the price.  I don't know what I can learn from this pig.  The PzIVD has taught me how to fight a ridge, how to flank and spot in a medium, and how to play second tier (still fighting my normal aggressiveness on that).  The PzIIIE has taught me survival, active scouting, and the lovely arty hunt.  The PzIII/IV is still trying to teach me how to compete against Tier 7 enemies.  And, at least the Doosh Wagon has taught me how to bully at top tier.  But, for me and my current play style the Turd has taught me nothing.

I don't know how to play a TD.  And this is a TD with a 10ft useless hull target.  I think I'll have to mix both bits of advice.  I really don't want to spend 1,100 Gold to research medium and heavy line.  Maybe die 10 or 20 more times and spend 500:ohmy:

Boghie #7 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2693 battles

Everybody is correct.

Spent my XP accelerating my crew training.  But, with the Doosh Wagon I crewed it fully trained but without skills/perks.  At the time I did not really understand the importance of skills/perks.  I really don't want to move to the VK unskilled.  It just hurts the teams I'm on.

Kinda made the same mistake in the M3 Lee line.  I had various folks asking me to move up various American lines and tried LT and MT and now HT (I guess).  Never was able to skill/perk up.  Thought I could do it in the M3 Lee even though I knew it would be awful.  But, this is ridiculous.  I don't want to be the guy in a Combat Tier 7 game that my team chat slams - and SHOULD chat slam.  But, maybe there is no choice.

schwert_2015 #8 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24547 battles
The Lee (and Grant) are ok actually, I still play them occasionally. They are "special" though, and not in a good way. Good guns when top-tier.

Edited by schwert_2015, Jan 08 2017 - 21:27.

Nudnick #9 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16436 battles

View PostBoghie, on Jan 08 2017 - 21:14, said:

• Has WG thought to have a medal for those who win a certain number of battles in either the Doosh or the Turd?

Thanks, Nudnick.  I see the mechanism now.  Really did not understand how to unlock the experience I have built in tanks I've enjoyed.  Hate using gold for that, but I think I hate the M3 Lee worse than paying the price.  I don't know what I can learn from this pig.  The PzIVD has taught me how to fight a ridge, how to flank and spot in a medium, and how to play second tier (still fighting my normal aggressiveness on that).  The PzIIIE has taught me survival, active scouting, and the lovely arty hunt.  The PzIII/IV is still trying to teach me how to compete against Tier 7 enemies.  And, at least the Doosh Wagon has taught me how to bully at top tier.  But, for me and my current play style the Turd has taught me nothing.

I don't know how to play a TD.  And this is a TD with a 10ft useless hull target.  I think I'll have to mix both bits of advice.  I really don't want to spend 1,100 Gold to research medium and heavy line.  Maybe die 10 or 20 more times and spend 500:ohmy:

Mid tier mediums are the best for learning the game. The Russian T-34 at Tier 5 and the British Cromwell at Tier 6 will teach you a lot. Light tanks / scouting is the hardest to be successful at, and TD / Arty won't teach you much about moving around the maps. Heavies instead of mediums if you like a slower tank. Good luck.

Patonb #10 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:32

Major

• Players
  • 26174 battles

View PostBoghie, on Jan 08 2017 - 15:14, said:

You play TDs by sitting back and blasting the dirty reds at a distance.

Because you don't have a turret you need to pre-plan what you are doing.

Don't waste gold to free xp it. It will be a terrible waste of money.

14k xp for each isn't that bad, but I'd definitely play it along with another line if you don't wish to go crazy.

Worland #11 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:40

Major

• Players
  • 16334 battles
I would highly suggest, while you're suffering through the Lee, to research both the T1HT and M4 lines. Don't just research the M4, because you'll end up buying the Lee back to go up the T1HT line. If you want to get that monster tier 7 T29 heavy tank, and everyone should, go through the T1HT and M6 to research the awesome 90mm gun. That, and to train up a proper heavy tank crew.

You have the right idea on playing the Lee. Sit back behind a couple bushes and snipe. When top tier, you can bully little tanks with that 75mm gun. Cover as much as the tank as possible behind a rock or building, just poking around with the gun.

Lord_Hiney #12 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11451 battles
It has an exceptional gun on a horrible platform. Stay at a distance when you can and support the front line tanks.

Wailwulf #13 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 21:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24597 battles
  • [FXXIV] FXXIV
Grind the Lee, just suck it up and grind it and become one of the proud non-quitters of the M3 Lee.  Then take her crew and train them for to M4.  By the time you finish with the M3 Lee, that crew will be fairly experienced.

1lt_wert #14 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 22:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21259 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
If you have them, use the XP bonus personal reserves. If possible put the left side behind a building with only the gun showing. It helps.

Omega_Weapon #15 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 22:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36957 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
The M3 Lee is not as bad as everyone says. It just needs to be played right. I recently started on the Lee and 63% win rate so far with 33 games played. I didn't drop an experienced crew in it either. All 6 are new crew members. I do have a lot of experience with TDs, and because of its negative rep I'm being cautious, but I kind of like the tank. The main problem I'm finding (and a likely cause for the bad reputation) is the match making it gets. The Lee sees very few tier 4 matches. In fact the majority of matches are tier 6 battles where all of the Lee's weaknesses are amplified. In tier 4 matches it can actually kick butt.

AndrewSledge #16 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 22:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21951 battles
  • [EMPRR] EMPRR

It's one of the most overpowered tanks at tier 4, but only if you know how to use it.

madogthefirst #17 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 22:22

Major

• Players
  • 19638 battles

View PostBoghie, on Jan 08 2017 - 11:48, said:

Well,

I ran up the German line to the DW2.  I hate that tank with a passion.  But, at least the 'grind' to the next tank wasn't a complete misery.  You don't seem to hurt your team too much if you show up with the Doosh (sic) Wagon.  Can't do anything unless you are top tier.  Can't flex anywhere.  Can't take any punishment except from pew pew guns.  Can't pen anything in your class or sometimes even your tier - and when you do:  who cares...  But, I have been on 50%+ winning teams so at least the rest of you can carry my Doosh Bag...

But, the M3 Lee.  Absolutely unbelievable.  I guess it is my first TD, but it is a tall TD with no cammo.  I get nailed by tanks I cannot even see.  The gun is extremely inaccurate.  Every time I move from one target to the next my tank moves (cammo blown???).  And, I have been on two winning teams in 11 games - with me doing basically nothing but maybe a kill and my death.  I would take the Doosh Wagon every time.  I didn't really know what 'Free Experience' was till I found out I had very little.  The Doosh wagon to the VK wasn't horrid, this thing makes me dread the 14K experience grind.

Anyway, if I have to drive my Win% into the 30%s than maybe some of you can help in two ways:

• Is there a way to maximize experience or pull it off other tanks (I have dead experience on them)
  • Which line should I advance on.  My goal is Heavy, but my heart is Medium.  I like the PzIVD, PzIIIE, and even the PzIII/IV.  I hate the Doosh Wagon.

And, just to think, I just brought my wonderful Win% to over 46% and was looking at progressing from a Tomato to an Orange.  Small steps, very small steps - but at least progress.  Now the Doosh and the Turd on Tracks.

Once you get past the Lee the entire Medium line is very enjoyable and good. The T1 HT and M6 are some of my favorites of the Heavy line while many others absolutely adore the T29. T29 never clicked with me but it seems everyone agrees with it. Both lines are worth sucking it up in the Lee, if you go heavy line do so from the M6 and not the E2 Jumbo or at the very least grind the T20 first so you will have the 90mm gun on the T29.

madogthefirst #18 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 22:23

Major

• Players
  • 19638 battles

View PostAndrewSledge, on Jan 08 2017 - 13:21, said:

It's one of the most overpowered tanks at tier 4, but only if you know how to use it.

Only OP if they are stupid enough to sit in front of it and not kill it. If they don't you basically have to kick it until it complies.

Boghie #19 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 23:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2693 battles

Well,

Took an enjoyable break from the Lee and cleaned the dog run, unclogged the toilet, scraped the oven, cleared out the p-traps, mulched the lawn refuse, and ironed my work clothes,  Nice way to spend a Sunday.

Now, to make penance and grind the Lee.  Thanks for the great advice.  I will mix and match to my situation.  I will definitely grind/XP my way through both lines (MT and HT).  I don't want to have to buy the Lee again - and, I know I'll sell this thing on leaving it.  God almighty, can I even sell it.  Glad it's a pixel tank.  I don't even think the Italians would buy it - which reminds me, when will the mighty Italians get a tank line.  I'll mix in a few matches with the Doosh Wagon to support my sanity:unsure:

GollumsFish #20 Posted Jan 08 2017 - 23:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10952 battles
  • [GANDP] GANDP

How not to play the Lee.

1. See M4 Sherman (or really anything) on the other side of the ridge or hill

2. Back off a bit

3. Then try to creep up and poke over the ridge to shoot him

4. Then wonder why you are getting hit by him before you can even see his silhouette

The Lee is freaking tall, and the gun is on the bottom. They can see your outline before you can see theirs. So don't get in ridge-poking battles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users