• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Comrad_Pravda #1 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 06:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6771 battles
  • [-GL-] -GL-

I have 2 questions:

I want to get myself a tank with a big HE blast on it. I know the KV-2 and O-I are basically the tanks to get if that is what you want. They both seem to have similar guns, but the O-I seems to have better armor.

1) On paper, it seems like the O-I might be a bit better, but my question is about unlisted stats. We need to consider that the KV-2 is made out of Stalinium, so it might actually bounce incoming enemy shots better than the O-I despite having weaker armor for all I know. Which one realistically bounces more enemy shots in practice rather than on paper?

2) More importantly, we know that the KV-2 benefits from the Hand of Stalin, the effect where you don't wait to aim at all, you just put the cross-hairs on the target with a terribly inaccurate gun, and pull the trigger, and the Hand of Stalin magically guides the shell to where it needs to go altering RNG to give you significantly better chances to hit what you need to hit. Does the O-I also benefit from this to an adequate degree, or is the O-I realistically significantly less accurate than the KV-2 due to the Hand of Stalin even though the O-I is MORE accurate than the KV-2 on paper since the O-I has slightly better aim time and dispersion? Which one has better accuracy if you don't aim in practice rather than on paper?

These things may sound funny to ask, but some of you know that these are very real things to consider, actually.

XxDaNgErOuSxX #2 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 06:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19542 battles
  • [SOAPS] SOAPS
i have 2 marks on the kv-2. Its still sucks after that and 5 perks. But it is biased so buy it

ogHaKo #3 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 06:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28022 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
KV-2 is the best tank in this game.

HowitzerBlitzer #4 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 06:31

Major

• Players
  • 14877 battles
O-I has a workable AP round if you ever need it.

J3Tears #5 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 06:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8859 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
Of course the O-I has more armor but It cant hide as much and if something small or medium sized gets to your side you will never hit it. I prefer the KV-2 for that reason.

universeea #6 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25135 battles
O-I

RedBaronK #7 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:47

Major

• Players
  • 35967 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

Kv2.... Cause the hand of stalin guides shells better than that of Tojo's. 

Kv2 is also slightly more mobile, may not be much but it does make a difference scrambling for cover. 

Kv2 has better gun dispersion on turret movement.

Kv2 HE also has higher base pen. May not be much since u don't expect HE to pen unless firing at really thinly armored tanks, but the extra pen does give u extra damage to tanks u don't fully pen on impact... And you'll be firing HE most of the time anyway. Reload is also faster. 

Unless u want to spam nothing but AP, if you are gonna use more HE go for kv2. 

FunkyMonkey911 #8 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29846 battles

View PostogHaKo, on Jan 08 2017 - 21:26, said:

KV-2 is the best tank in this game.

In platoons.  Not solo

eXs11 #9 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 12304 battles

it really sorta depends... they both have their pluses and minuses... KV2 is faster, has better dpm and 11 more pen which is significant amount if you think about it at that tier... OI has armor going for it, the gun is more accurate (only accuracy that KV2 has on it is turret traverse, but really not by much), it aims faster, it has 10 degrees of depression and has 90 more hitpoints (also nice)...

all in all, I think they are roughly equal and definitely have things that they do better than the other... I think if I'm faced with a t6 match where my armor is gonna hold up, I'll take the OI... tier t7 and 8 games I think I'd prefer the extra mobility and dpm of KV2... KV2 is more of a dpm tank, while OI is probably a more rounded heavy...

Edited by eXs11, Jan 09 2017 - 07:49.

mattwong #10 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:50

Major

• Players
  • 30341 battles

View PostComrad_Pravda, on Jan 09 2017 - 00:16, said:

I have 2 questions:

I want to get myself a tank with a big HE blast on it. I know the KV-2 and O-I are basically the tanks to get if that is what you want. They both seem to have similar guns, but the O-I seems to have better armor.

1) On paper, it seems like the O-I might be a bit better, but my question is about unlisted stats. We need to consider that the KV-2 is made out of Stalinium, so it might actually bounce incoming enemy shots better than the O-I despite having weaker armor for all I know. Which one realistically bounces more enemy shots in practice rather than on paper?

2) More importantly, we know that the KV-2 benefits from the Hand of Stalin, the effect where you don't wait to aim at all, you just put the cross-hairs on the target with a terribly inaccurate gun, and pull the trigger, and the Hand of Stalin magically guides the shell to where it needs to go altering RNG to give you significantly better chances to hit what you need to hit. Does the O-I also benefit from this to an adequate degree, or is the O-I realistically significantly less accurate than the KV-2 due to the Hand of Stalin even though the O-I is MORE accurate than the KV-2 on paper since the O-I has slightly better aim time and dispersion? Which one has better accuracy if you don't aim in practice rather than on paper?

These things may sound funny to ask, but some of you know that these are very real things to consider, actually.

I prefer the KV-2 for a number of reasons that others here have already elucidated.  You should be aware, however, that in a head-to-head matchup, an O-I will probably destroy a KV-2, because it has more hit-points and it will take less damage from an HE hit.

There are a lot of examples like this in the game, however, where tank A can beat tank B in a 1vs1 matchup but tank B is better at helping teams win games.

Edited by mattwong, Jan 09 2017 - 07:50.

sean463 #11 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 12208 battles
  • [GOD_Z] GOD_Z
KV-2 is faster and people don't auto load gold for you plus O-I is getting it's ammunition nerfed in the future so the 150mm might not do as much damage 

FunkyMonkey911 #12 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 07:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29846 battles
You want a fun derp?  Dont forget the E2 with the stock turret and my new favorite is the KV1S, load some premium rounds and one shot half the enemy team.  Gets expensive tho

SpitYoYoMafia #13 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 08:18

Major

• Players
  • 17811 battles

KV-2 is faster

O-I has T8 heavy tank armor at T6

take your pick

RedBaronK #14 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 08:19

Major

• Players
  • 35967 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

Btw OP, kv2 reload maxes out at 18.99 over standard 20.25 with food rammer vents... So after you and another kv2 both fired in a 1v1, that extra 1.26 second faster reload guarantees you win (unless u hit the barrel?). 

Which brings me to the next thing.... Regardless which tank u get, for the love of SerB until u master using derp guns, do NOT fire AP... HE is your best friend. And even with HE, common sense still applies... Aim not auto aim, wait for reticle to fully close and wait a split second after to fire, and aim for weakest parts of a tank not the thickest.... You wouldn't be aiming at the thickest parts of an enemy even with non derp guns right? Same logic applies to derp. 

4MINUTE #15 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 08:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17578 battles
lol a couple of days ago i got 1 shotted in my O I by a kv2 after i bounced him so form your own opinion but i would stick with the KV2 :facepalm:

otacon237 #16 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 08:52

Major

• Players
  • 23216 battles

I love my kv-2, you put it side to side next to an OI and see just how big the size difference is. OI is huge.

I love OI's....when i'm playing arty. That said i'll probably pick up an OI at some point, can't go wrong with a kv-2 though. smaller target, not bad armor for sidescraping, stalin dispersion. I take the opposite approach some people have said, when i'm bottom tier I load HE and casually derp t8 heavies frontally for 300-400 dmg + crits, when i'm bottom tier I load the gold AP and just one shot everything.

one thing you might want to consider if you like big derps, KV-2 is kind of where it ends for that line. I have heard supertest rumors and read blogs (rita or armored patrol, can't remember) saying they're going to add BIG derp guns for the type 4 and type 5, so that may influence your decision.

Sokolniki #17 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 09:05

Major

• Players
  • 14350 battles
One of the really funny things about the KV-2 is related to its shell velocity being so low.  At about 375m+ ranges, the HE shells start to come down steep enough to pen the hull roof of many heavy tanks... which results in a number of really surprising frontal full pens against heavily armored tanks, including tier VIII's.

Doomslinger #18 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 09:20

Major

• Players
  • 61714 battles

I like both tanks but for AP rounds, the OI is better which means when in top tier battles, the OI has a superior round to use and also the armor when top tier is better than KV2. For being bottom tier, the KV2 with the superior HE round  and the slightly better mobility is an advantage over the OI. Here is what you can do with the OI. I used AP rounds in most of these but there is one vid where it shows me doing full HE pen damage to the back armor of an IS6.

Vidicus #19 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 12:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16419 battles

View PostComrad_Pravda, on Jan 08 2017 - 21:16, said:

I have 2 questions:

O-I for sure.

kv-2 is goodin some instances but doesnt have the armor like the o-i has.. just wiggle and reverse in the O-I and good... kv-2? rip. that big turret is easy HP food.

Smooky_Le_chien_husky #20 Posted Jan 09 2017 - 12:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21525 battles
  • [LMFR] LMFR
For my point i wait you for be blasted By my m12 :) Muhahahah keep play with derp Noob tank giggle

Also tagged with KV-2, O-I

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users