Corsair's Design a Steampunk Tank Contest!

Steampunk Tank Design Your Own Corsair Strafe

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

xtcmax #41 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 05:23

Captain

• Players
  • 37490 battles
  • [RUSS] RUSS
Well, a person openly says it is his art when it is not. Blunt lie. He should be sent to Gulag for that or Cheenah's Labor Camp.

_Tsavo #42 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 05:26

Major

• Players
  • 37214 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View Postxtcmax, on Jan 19 2017 - 23:23, said:

Well, a person openly says it is his art when it is not. Blunt lie. He should be sent to Gulag for that or Cheenah's Labor Camp.

Oh, I read it as if it was a response to my last post and was hella confused.  DURP, I am not a smart man.

Also, I finally got a high-def look at your piece (was on phone before) and holy balls, dude.  It's pretty darn glorious.  Them side boobs, do C:

I get such a WarHammer vibe from that, except it took place in Russia and was bade made of win.

EDIT: Words are hard

Edited by _Tsavo, Jan 20 2017 - 05:27.

Avalon304 #43 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 06:23

Major

• Players
  • 16115 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
If this were for a K70 RGB (and I could choose my switch types) Id be all over it. Good luck to those who enter.

_Tsavo #44 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 06:26

Major

• Players
  • 37214 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 20 2017 - 00:23, said:

If this were for a K70 RGB (and I could choose my switch types) Id be all over it. Good luck to those who enter.

DO EEEEET

ENTER DA COMPETITION

(I also didn't know you did the artsy things @_@ )

Avalon304 #45 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 16115 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Post_Tsavo, on Jan 19 2017 - 21:26, said:

DO EEEEET

ENTER DA COMPETITION

(I also didn't know you did the artsy things @_@ )

I dont like the Strafe.

(Also I dont... so it would be terrible. lol.)

_Tsavo #46 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 06:37

Major

• Players
  • 37214 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 20 2017 - 00:33, said:

I dont like the Strafe.

(Also I dont... so it would be terrible. lol.)

I have a K70 RGB and a K65 RGB, but I want to replace my pathetic work keyboard (some generic Logitech thing) with a CLICKY CLACKY to annoy my coworkers.

You should still do it

Edited by _Tsavo, Jan 20 2017 - 06:38.

Gr8TShot #47 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 07:44

Private

• Players
  • 36764 battles

ComradeSoldat #48 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 11:45

Private

• -Players-
  • 1 battle

Posted Image

http://i.imgur.com/I099ucG.png

Mudman24 #49 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 13:16

Major

• Players
  • 35761 battles
Not really interested in the prizes but the drawing sounds fun so I'm gonna try find some time. I love these creative contest but it's pretty disappointing how many people try to plagiarize.

DasRabe93004 #50 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 23:45

Private

• -Players-
  • 7502 battles

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

If this works... lol suck with computers... the image is a hand drawn, badly, steampunk train with tank treads and remade Mark 1 turrets on both sides of it. Hope you can see the pic and you like it. Need a keyboard my escape button doesn't even work so i have to wait for every game to finish if i die. In game is DasRabe93004. 

Edited by DasRabe93004, Jan 21 2017 - 00:20.

CupCaik #51 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 00:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15169 battles
  • [-TDU-] -TDU-
Reserved so I can lose.

ThrownBiscuit #52 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 04:28

Private

• -Players-
  • 18553 battles
  • [_AI_] _AI_

https://i.imgsafe.org/2d4245c5fa.png

Because I was bored and for the LOLs, glory to MS Paint.

_Tsavo #53 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 05:31

Major

• Players
  • 37214 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

ENTRY DRAWING POST 

In-game name: _Tsavo

(View image in new tab for best results)

"Krijger Heavy Tank (Warrior), 62 tons.

Design of this tank started in 2041 when the existing fleet of tech-loaded tanks started to fail.  Spare parts for the advanced tank could no longer be sourced or manufactured.  Oil, however, was in abundance.  Bunker grade crude.  Perfect for steam.  So the design team set about building a new type of heavy tank, capable of being serviced, repaired, and operating with the most abundant fuel remaining and by 2043 the prototypes had their issues worked out and the series 500 "Krijger" tank was deployed into combat.  To Keep things compact, the Franco-Crosti Boiler was slung low in the center of the tank, flanked by both water and fuel bunkers in sponsons on each side and they used a drive gear that kept the complicated mess of connecting rods and main rods to a minimum: the Shay Drive system.  To keep from having to replenish water, the tank has a closed loop system, water gets heated to steam in the boilers, fed through one of the 6 12" pistons, and vented into the steam radiator where it condenses back to water to repeat the process over again.  Water tanks and Oil Bunkers are filled with multi-compartment bladders to keep leaks to a minimum should any of the 4 tanks be compromised.

Hull armor ranges from 100mm down to 30mm and the front of the turret has 230mm of composite steel and then ceramic and fabric weave backing it.  The 105mm Rifled Gun has a maximum range of around 7,900 ft with accuracy, with a record shot hitting near 9,000 feet.  Beyond 7,900 ft the accuracy of the gun sights is quesitonable.  With a lack of high tech equipment and the world being reduced to 1960s era electronics, basic optic sights and basic thermal sights are available, but complicated and accurate sights are out of the question for the abilities of the world.

Production of the Krijger Heavy tank ceased in 2057 with a total of 4,512 units produced.  After the end of the conflict, in 2056, some 2,200 units remained in service with the oldest combat veteran being unit 504, the 4th production tank off the assembly line.  Of the first batch of tanks, numbered 501-599, only 504 survived the conflict and is preserved in Kepler Hall.  Krijger 504 was knocked out on two occasions, one shot damaged the Shay Drive and another damaged the turret ring.  Both times the tank was recovered and returned to service.  In all, 504 has 35 tank kills, 47 light armor kills, and took part in the recapture of Kepler."

- Placard accompanying Krijger Tank 504 in Kepler Hall. -2075

Edited by _Tsavo, Jan 24 2017 - 03:51.

FOURNINE #54 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 09:20

Private

• -Players-
  • 5074 battles
HOW DO YOU ENTER THE KONTEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

_Tsavo #55 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 18:23

Major

• Players
  • 37214 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostFOURNINE, on Jan 21 2017 - 03:20, said:

HOW DO YOU ENTER THE KONTEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Make a drawing, render, illustration of a steampunk tank and upload it to Imgur.com and link it here.  It's all explained in the first post.

chippedmonk #56 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 20:32

Private

• -Players-
  • 16 battles

This is my Entry for the Contest:

Edison - 5

Made pre-civil war by the forefather of steampunk Thomas Edison

(the weight would be much greater now that I think about it)

The gears power the Treads, or turn the gears on the side of the tank to spin around the Turret. (It can't traverse turret while moving, but has a really fast turret traverse.)

In the back of the Edison-5 is a water reserve, which feeds water through the copper tubes push the water forward into 2 big pistons that sit on either side of the driver. Steam from the front of the engine pushes the pistons back, and the steam out the back exhaust. 

In Game name: ChippedMonk

Edited by chippedmonk, Jan 21 2017 - 20:35.

LiL_Scruff #57 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 23:19

Private

• Players
  • 11052 battles
  • [23RDB] 23RDB

Steampunk T2 Heavytank

The steampunk T2 was an experimental tank from the 1880s with 1 100mm howitzer primary cannon and a 70mm howitzer secondary cannon with a large 1000hp boiler engine on the rear of the behemoth. With a top speed of 10 mph this is not a very fast "tank" but the arnament makes up for it. There was a commander,driver,gunner,loader,and a boiler tender. The poor gun elevation resulted in poor firing capabilities but they could still rotate 50 degrees.http://imgur.com/NmLR7u0

Lil_Scruff

Edited by LiL_Scruff, Jan 22 2017 - 02:13.

Zeitgeist_2014 #58 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 01:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 3827 battles
  • [IVI] IVI
Living in North America, and still Corsair won't send me anything I win to Canada. I won a Corsair Razer Gaming Mouse a year ago.. Wouldn't send to me. I had to use a friend in the US to receive it, then send to me. Guess they just aren't Canada friendly..  :angry:

Hammaneggs #59 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 02:45

Captain

• Players
  • 20547 battles
  • [SAKE] SAKE

This is my steampunk tank, its called Bob.

Side view: 

Front view (un-mirrored): 

B.O.B, standing for Boiler Operated Belligerent, fits into an alternate history during the second world war.

(Alternate) History and Development:

In WWI the Zimmerman Telegraph sent to Mexico was never found by the U.S. Eventually the U.S. declared war on Germany to aid Britain and France, and thus was attacked by Mexico. The "southern front" was a fast paced and dynamic war. Eventually Mexico surrendered after Germany's defeat. Mexico maintains the status of being an industrial power, but not on the same level as the european powers and the U.S. Mexico, under influence from soon-to-be axis countries, secretly prepares for war, and is used as a testing ground for tanks that would be used in the Africa campaign at the start of the war, away from the prying eyes of the British and Russians. Mexico, like Japan, has an uneasy peace with the U.S, until Pearl Harbor. Mexico, maintaining the guise of peace, waits for American retaliation in the Pacific theatre. Then it strikes the U.S. itself. Unprepared for another homefront war, the U.S. must build new weapons with which to defend itself. The factories that were busy producing such tanks as the Sherman and Lee lacked surplus to send southwards. Instead, the railroad companies step in for tank manufacuring, with Southern Pacific and Santa Fe to name a couple. Keep in mind that navigating a desert composed almost entirely of rock, brush, and other such obstacles were never before seen by tanks, as it was a far cry from the sandy deserts of Africa. The railroad companies and rail locomotive manufacturers, already well acquainted with steam power, elected to keep to what they knew and constructed tanks of an entirely different sort than in use in the rest of the world at the time, and more resembled the tanks from the first world war. These new tanks had various configurations of boilers, guns, and crew. However the Boiler Operated Belligerent, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works proved to set a standard for tanks in the early stage of the war with Mexico. Later tanks on the southern front would undergo significant changes, but retain roughly the same look. Mexico's opposing tanks also adopted landship forms, though there were also hybrid German-Mexican and Italian-Mexican tanks that resembled what we consider to be more traditonal tanks in our timeline. WWII would last until 1949 due to Mexico's involvement in the war, slowing progress by the U.S. on other fronts, not to mention that the Japanese, having an ally in Mexico, was able to maintain economic dominance for longer than in our own history.

Design:

The BOB has a rear mounted boiler with large drive wheels connected to the front. To counterbalance the boiler, the 5 inch (127mm) gun was mounted to the front, as well as most of the armor plating. This 5 inch gun, contrary to most guns, was fired by releasing pressure from the boiler. This of course did not grant very good shell speed and meant that high explosive ammunition was often prefered to armor piercing. Boiler pressure was also used to fire the low caliber semi-open machine gun turrets on the sides. These machine gun turrets were sometimes refitted with larger guns and grenade launchers. The gunners of these turrets also worked as brakemen for the tracks and engineers for the boiler, communicating to the driver over a microphone. The crew that shared the fighting compartment used hatches located on the top of the vehicle to enter and exit, though there was a hatch on the bottom for emergencies. These crew were the driver, commander, and two loaders. There was also manually operated vent that doubled as a smokestack that faced towards the pointed front of the tank. The reasoning behind this was that by sending smoke and steam over the front and sides of the tank that a smokescreen would be produced. That tactic was met by some success, but also proved to be a significant hinderance at times to the machine gun operators. Between the front and rear wheels of tank were two smaller rollers which helped maintain track tension, and the bottom set doubled as extra support for the tank. The main armor plates, covering the front and most of the side were riveted and 5 inches (127mm) thick, though they were later uparmored to 6 inches (152mm). This steam powered leviathan moved at a considerable 25mph on smooth terrain, and routinely maintained 10mph when crashing through rough brush and cactus filled terrain. The boiler at the rear was mostly unprotected due to the tactics and ranges involved making hits on the rear difficult by enemies.

Combat and Strategy:

The BOB, due to the significant resources required to be built, often operated alone, although they often served in up to sets of five as well, with sets of two and three being most common. In major battles they did fight in much larger numbers, but required extra command vehicles to fight effectively. When on patrol, BOBs usually operated with half to a quarter mile between them, and group movement often resembled fleets of warships on the sea with flanks hard to hit despite their wide formation. Even though the typical terrain that BOBs were used in was the desert, they were surprisingly well suited to city combat. The battle of San Diego, in 1942 put them to the test in these conditions. The bunker-like tanks were easily able to navigate the streets despite their size, only unable to access alleys by concrete, brick, and similar buildings, which would not be approached if presence of enemy armor was known, and instead anti-tank guns would be called on. The opposing Mexican tanks, designed for the same terrain were very similar in their near-landship form to BOBs though opted for more smaller anti-tank gun turrets over single large ones. This meant that their tactics often were similar to BOBs and other American southern front tanks, though flanking to bring more turrets to bear meant closing range and making them more vulnerable. As time went on the construction of Mexican anti-tank gun bunkers, akin to coastal batteries, had greatly decreased the survivability of BOBs. This resulted in a series of retrofits and bodges that created varied looks between units. Among these additions were thin spaced armor segments filled with sand as well as metal racks that supported rocks to increase armor protection. By early 1945 the BOB was mostly obsolete, with a significant number having been destroyed at the battle of Boulder City in 1944. It was rumored that at least one BOB had been refitted with a 6 in (152mm) gun whom's projectile caused small nuclear explosions, and is suspected of having been a test of nuclear weapons technology before the nuclear bomb was used on a larger scale towards the end of the war.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that wall of text even if my tank may have looked a bit boring compared to some other entries. :)

Sethodine #60 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 09:21

Private

• Players
  • 10727 battles
  • [VIDRA] VIDRA

Here is my entry!

Name of tank: Centipede
WoT Player Name: Sethodine

The Centipede was the best-selling landship made by the American Casemate Corperation during the European Civil War. Austria-Hungary alone bought several thousand, although nearly every European country fielded Centipedes in battle before the war was over.

The steam-piston driven tracks could carry the Centipede at an astounding 15kph, faster than any other landship for many years. In part, this was due to a series of Stirling heat-recovery units that converted waste heat from the boiler into additional locomotive power.

Part of the success of the Centipede was a patented marine coating used on the underside of the landship. This green material sealed the underside against water, allowing it to cross calm rivers and lakes. Only one other landship of the war was amphibious--the "Steam Duck" manufactured by Confederate Ironclad Inc. The Duck was incredibly popular with the French, for unknown reasons.

The model depicted here features the "Auto-Fullisade" turret designed by Sir Gatling, and a 8.8cm rifled-bore cannon made by the famous Springfield Armory.

Click Here to view the model in 3D (SketchFab).

[Edit: added another picture, depicting a shoreline assault of Centipedes vs. Archduke Tesla's Defensive Perimeter]

[Edit again: Added Sketchfab Link to view 3D model, with slightly improved textures. Moved images into spoiler tags]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Sethodine, Jan 28 2017 - 09:15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users