Artillery is a necessary evil?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
266 replies to this topic

Keiki_Haniyasushin #1 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14022 battles

DISCLAIMER: I hate artillery too. I play big, fat heavies and don't normally play artillery.

https://imgflip.com/...vqtj?noredirect

Is arty a necessary evil?
I mean with the new light tank changes, they're going to be more scouting based and less small mediums. So, they're going to need support. From artillery.

And I'm sure we've all been in the position where a hulldown American tank was unkillable, or a sidescraping Maus wasn't able to be flanked because he had support or it was a corridor. Artillery certainly helped there.

Please, try to have a good, healthy discussion about artillery and remember those times where it near missed you too, not just the times it one shotted you. Or those times where you used it to dig out an entrenched enemy, or those times when you were a scout tank

TL;DR OP is seriously struggling with the idea that artillery might not be actually the sky cancer everyone tells him it is. OP wants a healthy discussion that doesn't involve name calling or insults, but a serious debate.

SuperTankDriver #2 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:43

Major

• Players
  • 20979 battles

View PostTwinTanker, on Jan 18 2017 - 15:38, said:

Please, try to have a good, healthy discussion about artillery 

Bold and underline for huge emphasis.

Cutthroatlemur #3 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:43

Major

• Players
  • 21047 battles

Necessary? No

Evil?  Kinda

Part of the game?  Yep, always been there, not going away.

InfinityShadow #4 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:43

Captain

• Players
  • 18835 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

In the future my fear won't be artillery or gold... It will be light tank's on steroids. Just imagine a leopard 1 with light tank camo and keeps the camo value when it moves..

I smell alot of pain in the future. High vision, mobile, invisible needles of death..

theSparatan117 #5 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12331 battles

Sky cancer has the ability to do it's job properly and root out the people who are hull down and causing a problem. It also has the ability to completely ignore it's team and shoot anyone it pleases.

This makes it a broken mechanic, that is solely left to the will of the person driving it (who probably doesn't know how the game works in a lot of cases ... map flow... choke points... etc etc). 

You simply can't use it effectively without it ruining everything else. That's why it needs to be removed. 

Winterpeger #6 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:45

Major

• Players
  • 57572 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostInfinityShadow, on Jan 18 2017 - 09:43, said:

In the future my fear won't be artillery or gold... It will be light tank's on steroids. Just imagine a leopard 1 with light tank camo and keeps the camo value when it moves..

I smell alot of pain in the future. High vision, mobile, invisible needles of death..

but.. but .. you'll have LOS... you'll be able to shoot back...   if you are not dead.

theSparatan117 #7 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12331 battles

View PostWinterpeger, on Jan 18 2017 - 10:45, said:

but.. but .. you'll have LOS... you'll be able to shoot back...   if you are not dead.

That's assuming that we can actually spot the thing that's spotting us... 

You'll be right back at tier 3 where the spotting distance is absolute garbage and everything can shoot you. 

Blackhorse_Three_ #8 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:50

Captain

• Players
  • 6723 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PosttheSparatan117, on Jan 18 2017 - 10:45, said:

Sky cancer has the ability to do it's job properly and root out the people who are hull down and causing a problem.

It also has the ability to completely ignore it's team and shoot anyone it pleases.

Just like any other class in the game

... left to the will of the person driving it (who probably doesn't know how the game works in a lot of cases ... map flow... choke points... etc etc). 

Just like most any other player in the game

That's why it needs to be removed. 

Ain't gonna happen.

Adapt, or devise a plan acceptable to both sides.

Until then, it's in the game - deal with it or leave WOT.

No one here is gonna stop you from moving to WT or AW.

InquisitorSomme #9 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 16:59

Captain

• Players
  • 3903 battles

View PostInfinityShadow, on Jan 18 2017 - 16:43, said:

​I think they're turning Light's into High Pen/ High Module/Crew Damage monsters.

Vava_das_SPGs #10 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:07

Major

• Players
  • 41301 battles
  • [AMICI] AMICI

Bad_Oedipus #11 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 63556 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
I smell a siege mode in arty futures.  I suggest  going long in pork bellies.

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:13

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Evil ?  Absolutely.

Necessary ?  Not at all.

Sux ?  Yes.

Absols_blade #13 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:23

Captain

• Players
  • 18952 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jan 18 2017 - 17:13, said:

Evil ?  Absolutely.

Necessary ?  Not at all.

Sux ?  Yes.

QQ much ? Absolutely 

anyways, I do believe artillery is a necessary part of the game. It does help to balance those immovable hull down heavies, and with the new light tanks, artillery is going to be even more interesting. We'll see how it goes though. It all does depend on who's driving it, and weather they pay enough attention to the map or not

Kirasenpai2 #14 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29874 battles
  • [-MOON] -MOON

Could've swore this thread poped up early this morning.... Oh wait it did! Yes arty is a necessary evil that even though I support I despise when I'm in big fat heavy tanks. Its part of the game though, always has and always will be. I've had plenty of times where an arty player has saved my [edited]and many times where I've been tked due to incompetent players shooting while I'm close. 

In the end it comes down to the fact(as stated above) the player base of this branch of tanks is what makes it who it is. You have the good, the bad, and the scumbags. The good will support a team in need and if possible will counter enemy arty. The bad will shoot at anything it ruddy well pleases and ignores the slowly growing noose, whilst shooting at enemies with allies too close. The scumbags will shoot at anything it pleases as well but when they see the noose they will kill themselves or drown.

TL; DR Arty is meant as a support mechanic and people fail to realize this. Some players are just dumb in it while others actually try to help. Constant arty whiners will try to depict them as evil but those who know its a necessary one will have no problems with it.

1SLUGGO1 #15 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:31

Major

• Players
  • 24833 battles

View PostTwinTanker, on Jan 18 2017 - 10:38, said:

DISCLAIMER: I hate artillery too. I play big, fat heavies and don't normally play artillery.

https://imgflip.com/...vqtj?noredirect

Is arty a necessary evil?
I mean with the new light tank changes, they're going to be more scouting based and less small mediums. So, they're going to need support. From artillery.

And I'm sure we've all been in the position where a hulldown American tank was unkillable, or a sidescraping Maus wasn't able to be flanked because he had support or it was a corridor. Artillery certainly helped there.

Please, try to have a good, healthy discussion about artillery and remember those times where it near missed you too, not just the times it one shotted you. Or those times where you used it to dig out an entrenched enemy, or those times when you were a scout tank

TL;DR OP is seriously struggling with the idea that artillery might not be actually the sky cancer everyone tells him it is. OP wants a healthy discussion that doesn't involve name calling or insults, but a serious debate.

If arty was necessary no one would be able to enter a game until enough arty players queued in to enter your team.

WaywardChild #16 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 17:39

Major

• Players
  • 47349 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
OP, why do you have to "Hate" Arty. You admit the you "Normally don't" play Arty which I take to mean that sometimes you do. Ask yourself "Why do I play Arty?" I'm a lot like you. When I get "​Arty-fried", one shot I yell wthlike everyone else. I will admit that I play Arty once in a while because I like really helping my team to win. Hitting the right vehicle at the right moment to support the spearheading advance is like crack to me. When I'm in a HT, MT, TD or LT I like the extra challenge of remembering to stay Arty-safe. When your running around the Chess Board with your Queen making kills and you get taken by the dang Bishop that you didn't see its the same thing. Leave Arty alone, leave the lights alone and just make the maps a little bigger to bring more strategy back to the game. ​Dats my two-cents!!

Mezurashi #17 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 18:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4563 battles

Personally, I find arty annoying, especially when it gets me when I'm in an intense brawl with another tank and things are getting fun and challenging... suddenlykaboom!

However, I don't really mind it. I like to remind myself from time to time that arty is there to "keep me on my toes" and to remind me to "keep moving" especially if there are light tanks scouting about. I'm thinking about grinding up the American arty line though.

My few cents...

theSparatan117 #18 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 18:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12331 battles

View PostMezurashi, on Jan 18 2017 - 12:18, said:

Personally, I find arty annoying, especially when it gets me when I'm in an intense brawl with another tank and things are getting fun and challenging... suddenlykaboom!

I think that's mainly the reason most of us want it gone... it just kinda ... ruins the fun... not because you lost the dual... but more like... "killed by the guardians" 

Arclyte #19 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 18:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19580 battles

View PostMezurashi, on Jan 18 2017 - 17:18, said:

However, I don't really mind it. I like to remind myself from time to time that arty is there to "keep me on my toes" and to remind me to "keep moving" especially if there are light tanks scouting about. I'm thinking about grinding up the American arty line though.

My few cents...

"keep moving"

and then you cite occasions when you are moving, brawling with another tank

Striker_70 #20 Posted Jan 18 2017 - 18:39

Major

• Players
  • 20187 battles

Do I like playing against arty?  Nope.  It makes this game so much easier to play when I don't have to worry about the possible positions that an arty can hit me from.

Is arty necessary?  Absolutely.  Not only for the reasons you mentioned (hull down impenetrable tanks + upcoming lights), but from a wider perspective as well.  Arty is an easy way for new and bad players to have a big impact in a game that they normally wouldn't be able to have.  It's a balancing mechanism and the only quasi-skill-based balancing mechanism which can be found in the game.

They won't ever be able to remove arty from the game in the first place.  It's here to stay, regardless.  Perhaps in a different form, but it's not going away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users