Difference Between US Army and USMC Tank Operations/Tactics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

lockonstratos002 #1 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 23:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 5914 battles
  • [SGGC] SGGC

I was reading some field manuals from the US Army and USMC and and curious about the differences in tank operations of both branches, the only main difference I can see is that USMC have tanks integrated to the MEU (Marine Expeditionary Force). Mainly I want to know if there are differences in tactics, combined arms and employment of tank, if anyone had experience in both branches that would be helpful.

Crucible #2 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 23:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12159 battles
Before we discuss further, I just want to say... APRICOTS. CHARMS. Thank you, that's all.

Blackhorse_Three_ #3 Posted Jan 20 2017 - 23:54

Captain

• Players
  • 3068 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View Postlockonstratos002, on Jan 20 2017 - 17:44, said:

I was reading some field manuals from the US Army and USMC and and curious about the differences in tank operations of both branches, the only main difference I can see is that USMC have tanks integrated to the MEU (Marine Expeditionary Force). Mainly I want to know if there are differences in tactics, combined arms and employment of tank, if anyone had experience in both branches that would be helpful.

Marine officers and EM attend the Army schools but the Corps makes certain doctrinal modifications to fit Marine operational practices, like beach landings.

IIRC, Marine officers and NCOs train their own EM at the US Army Armor School and at the USMC Twenty-Nine Palms facility.

Qualified Marine NCOs may attend the Army Master Gunners course, but most other tank training is conducted within the Corps.

Marine officers and NCOs also do tours of duty as instructors at the Armor School.

+1 on Crucible

GP_Large #4 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 00:12

Captain

• Players
  • 47718 battles

View PostBlackhorse_Three_, on Jan 20 2017 - 13:54, said:

Marine officers and EM attend the Army schools but the Corps makes certain doctrinal modifications to fit Marine operational practices, like beach landings.

Certain Marine NCOs may attend the Master Gunners course, but most other tank training is conducted within the Corps.

+1 on Crucible

+1 on apricots?

Are you (expletive deleted) crazy?

Blackstone #5 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 17:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9427 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-

View PostBlackhorse_Three_, on Jan 20 2017 - 23:54, said:

IIRC, Marine officers and NCOs train their own EM at the US Army Armor School and at the USMC Twenty-Nine Palms facility.

Qualified Marine NCOs may attend the Army Master Gunners course, but most other tank training is conducted within the Corps.

Marine officers and NCOs also do tours of duty as instructors at the Armor School.

+1 on Crucible

I can 2nd that. I'm a former 19K in the Ohio ANG, and Marine Corps tankers attend the same school as us Army armor guys did at Ft Knox (until recently: Armor School has moved). They attended courses and conducted training separately though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users