The return of the Newcomers Helpline -- Ask any question you need answered!

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Dhizi #1 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 06:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

Good evening -- My name is Dhizi (prior, long ago when I was around before my cancer therapy, I was known as Azukoto).

This is a re-initiation of an old-thread that I had began many years ago. It held note as the most-responded, most-active thread within the newcomers section. It was assisted by many well-versed players of the game and the goal was -- and still is, to teach, instruct, train, and help new players (and veterans!) of the game in learning how to play better, and how to better understand mechanics of the games numerous complex systems.

THIS THREADS PURPOSE IS TO HELP ALL PLAYERS, FROM NEW TO OLD!

If you're new to the game -- or old, and there are some things you may not yet understand to the game, please pop by in here and ask a question! Most are answered straight away when I -- or some others whom may volunteer to assist, are around. We'll provide you in-depth factual knowledge, opinions, anything we can provide to assist you in bettering your understanding of World of Tanks. We're here to help any player of any experience level, regardless of complex the request is. So please -- Ask us anything you need!

RULES OF THE THREAD

• No derogatory/defamatory/inappropriate comments to other tankers within this thread. Keep communication between all players fair and equal, with respect regardless of nature of response. If any disputes, arguments, fighting or illicit behavior is observed, it will be moderated quickly! Treat others as you wish to be treated.
  • If there is a dispute of knowledge -- for example, one player says the others information is wrong, please provide FACTUAL evidence that shows the actual correct information. Even if the person was wrong, mistakes happen, and we're all here to help improve the understanding of the game for everyone. So before you post something -- make sure it's correct!
  • If you have multiple questions to ask -- Ask them one-per-post. Breaking down multiple questions into separate responses will make it much easier on those whom answer your question, and yourself! So please, ask one question per-post for sake of organization.
  • Be sure to take your time posting your questions/responses. If you write us something that is NOT readable nor legible, it makes it very difficult for us to help. Try to spell correctly and use proper font-and-font size!
  • If you wish to assist within this thread and be recognized as one of those whom has knowledgeable understanding of the game and wishes to help others improve, please message me privately!

THREAD INSTRUCTORS

*Each instructor uses a color-coated text to identify his responses from others.

1. Dhizi (thread creator, head instructor)

Want a quick find-it-yourself answer? Take this link to Lerts summary of numerous guides to help the players!

Questions answered: 42

*If you want to support those whom help the thread, give them a +1 if they helped you out!

Edited by Dhizi, Jul 22 2017 - 22:23.

HyP3rN0va #2 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 06:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2743 battles
Alright then... guess I could use some help... So I've gotten my KV-85 crew to 100%, and I'm training BiA as my first skill for them, but I feel like the performance is a little lackluster to me (although I do have two high caliber medals with it), I only use vents and a gun rammer as equipment, but I'm wondering if a third equipment part is necessary. If so, what should I buy? I would also like to mention that I mostly use the 100mm on the KV-85, but can the equipment also work well for the 122mm?

Dhizi #3 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 07:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostHyP3rN0va, on Jan 21 2017 - 00:44, said:

Alright then... guess I could use some help... So I've gotten my KV-85 crew to 100%, and I'm training BiA as my first skill for them, but I feel like the performance is a little lackluster to me (although I do have two high caliber medals with it), I only use vents and a gun rammer as equipment, but I'm wondering if a third equipment part is necessary. If so, what should I buy? I would also like to mention that I mostly use the 100mm on the KV-85, but can the equipment also work well for the 122mm?

Sure, i'd be glad to help you with figuring all that out.

As far as training your crew, BiA should often NOT be the first skill you train them for, as it does not activate until 100%. You would perform a bit better if you go with perks that are active even when fully untrained, such as -- Situational awareness for your commander (Once you've reached 100% training, re-train him to have the Sixth Sense perk), Snap Shot for the Gunner (It'll improve gun handling as you rotate and move your gun on any axis and save you some precious aim-time), Off-Road Driving, Clutch Breaking, or Smooth Ride for the driver (These give you three options. Better starting acceleration on rough terrain which will improve mobility on rough terrain [I'd recommend this first as it also gives you some traverse speed as well!], clutch breaking improves vehicle traverse speed further than Off-road driving, and Smooth Ride improves your guns stability/accuracy while on the move or rotating your hull). As for the Loader, considering you are driving a Russian Heavy, it would be best-recommended to train your Loader with Safe Stowage as to keep your ammo from being damaged/destroyed.

Your Second row of skills for your crew should be repair -- If you get the second-perks for all them to 100%, you can retrain all 4 as BiA to get the 5% bonus to each crew member, or save that for your third-row. BiA does not activate until it is 100% trained.

You should definitely mount a third equipment on the Kv-85 -- I would recommend either the Gun-Laying drive to improve its aiming time, or the Coated Optics to improve its lackluster view-range, so you're not as blind as a bat. Your choice!

Definitely keep the 100mm. The 122mm has horrid reload time and drastically worse aiming stats -- and the DPM on the 100mm is so much better.

Do remember that this russian tank only has -3 gun depression, which is HORRIBLY low. It's hard to aim at targets if you're on sloped land, so you should often try to stick to cities and flat-sections of terrain so you can aim your gun up/down better.

Viperr_ #4 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 07:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10062 battles
  • [FUSE] FUSE

View PostHyP3rN0va, on Jan 21 2017 - 06:44, said:

There is always a handy Wiki online for what is the best Equipment for some tanks. Personally I suggest Repairs or something that is active and working before it reaches 100% skill level. Then once you get a bit over you can use the 20K Credits per a Crew member to reset the Skill. IF you can afford it I always suggest a 3rd Equipment slot. For the 3rd one the Wiki and myself suggest the enhanced gun laying drive. That should help with both guns but especially the 122mm.

RoyalGreenPC #5 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 07:51

Captain

• Players
  • 19566 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Does Adrenaline Rush perk work on autoloaders?

Dhizi #6 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 07:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRoyalGreenPC, on Jan 21 2017 - 01:51, said:

Does Adrenaline Rush perk work on autoloaders?

It will only alter the overall reload speed of the clip. It will not improve the intra-clip time between-rounds, but you will reload the full 3-4-5 shots in the clip 10% quicker! So there will still be a 1.5 second wait between shots for the 50/51, and so on, for example.

RoyalGreenPC #7 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 08:03

Captain

• Players
  • 19566 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostDhizi, on Jan 21 2017 - 02:55, said:

It will only alter the overall reload speed of the clip. It will not improve the intra-clip time between-rounds, but you will reload the full 3-4-5 shots in the clip 10% quicker! So there will still be a 1.5 second wait between shots for the 50/51, and so on, for example.

Thanks, always wondered that.

I got another one, how does moving dispersion values affect aiming time exactly? i.e. the Grille has a super low aim time but very high turret dispersion value, so it actually takes 1.5+ sec to fully aim.

Will a gun with 2sec aim time and 0.4 turret dispersion fully aim faster after moving the turret? Or a gun with 4sec aim time and 0.2 turret dispersion? Is there a formula or something to calculate that?

Dhizi #8 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 08:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRoyalGreenPC, on Jan 21 2017 - 02:03, said:

Thanks, always wondered that.

I got another one, how does moving dispersion values affect aiming time exactly? i.e. the Grille has a super low aim time but very high turret dispersion value, so it actually takes 1.5+ sec to fully aim.

Will a gun with 2sec aim time and 0.4 turret dispersion fully aim faster after moving the turret? Or a gun with 4sec aim time and 0.2 turret dispersion? Is there a formula or something to calculate that?

If I remember correctly -- the values you see for dispersion are from a stationary action such as moving your turret (and the speed at which you move it!), but not your hull, to aim a shot. Dispersion values clarify accuracy at 100m. So, for example -- If your accuracy is 0.32 at 100m, your accuracy WILL be 0.64 at 200m. A fast turret traverse will not retain as much accuracy as a slow turret traverse would.

Aim-time = the time listed for your dispersion circle to be 1/3rd of its current size.

Movement-based dispersion values all depend on the speed at which movement is taking, along with whether or not the turret is also moving along with hull movement. I can't provide you a formula or equation unfortunately to mark it up -- just note that the faster and more sharp your movements are (in comparison to slow), the worse your accuracy will suffer. If you wish to retain accuracy on the move, you should accelerate at a very slow pace and maintain that speed without interruptions from terrain such as hills or destructible terrain.

As for your example, it would depend on the distance the target is to those two tanks. If both tanks are aiming at the same target that is 100m away, the one with a faster aim-time will reach its maximum accuracy first and fire first -- while the other one will still be aiming, but have much, much higher likelihood of hitting its target.

Edited by Dhizi, Jan 21 2017 - 08:19.

Snow_white_1 #9 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 08:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11752 battles

hi everyone, how are you doing today? i have a simple question. i have an is6, love that tank.

when im driving that tank im only afraid of 2 tanks in the oponent team. an is6 and the mighty e75. my question is how do i aproach them? where to shoot them?... i shoot the is6 in the sides or in the top of his turret is that ok?

i get a lot of bounces tho... (i only shoot apcr) thats because it can make decent credits even sooting only apcr. thanks!

Dhizi #10 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 08:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSnow_white_1, on Jan 21 2017 - 02:47, said:

hi everyone, how are you doing today? i have a simple question. i have an is6, love that tank.

when im driving that tank im only afraid of 2 tanks in the oponent team. an is6 and the mighty e75. my question is how do i aproach them? where to shoot them?... i shoot the is6 in the sides or in the top of his turret is that ok?

i get a lot of bounces tho... (i only shoot apcr) thats because it can make decent credits even sooting only apcr. thanks!

I'll be happy to help out and clear some stuff up for you.

When you're driving the Is-6, tanks you should be aware and wary of are the ones you listed -- along with any other T9 you may face, or the FCM 50t or AMX CDC -- They have respectable guns and can put out a lot of damage if they are ignored.

To approach and handle an enemy IS-6, you have multiple choices. You can shoot the lower glacis plate of the tank -- the commanders hatch in the center underneath the turret, the sides of the turret, or the cupola (the roof of the tank where the thin viewports are)! As far as shooting an IS-6's sides, don't shoot the angled portion or you will certainly bounce. Aim for the flat portion that's below the angled section, you'll have more success that way. but if you ever have a side-shot, aim for the rear, or front drive-wheel (these are the big 'gears' at the 4 corners of the tank). If you are shooting in a straight-line at them, you can break his tracks, AND do damage to him!

As far as the E75..You are best off avoiding this tank unless you can get at his sides. If you are facing an E75 frontally, you will have an INCREDIBLY hard time penetrating his tank. Your only hope at fighting an E75 is hitting his sides or rear -- the turret sides are very soft as well. If you are forced to fight one frontally, your only two options are to shoot the flat-portion of the turrets front, or to shoot the cupola at the top-right of the tank.

Dhizi #11 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 10:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
I shall be resting now for the night. Any questions that remain unanswered by the time I wake will be answered after i'm up! Enjoy your night folks.

muddybruin #12 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 11:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 13165 battles
  • [_P-B_] _P-B_

View PostSnow_white_1, on Jan 21 2017 - 07:47, said:

Regarding the E75...

Ugh, eww. I would normally try not to actively fight them unless it's my last resort.  Actually, I hate fighting any Tier 9 heavy in my IS-6.  In addition to what Dhizi mentioned, you can also try shooting APCR at the lower glacis plate, which is the least thick part of the E75 from the front, especially if he is on higher ground or is tilted up. The top left or the top right preferably, whichever one is closest.  However, even perfectly straight on, you're less than 50/50 to pen, and if the E75 is angled, or on lower ground, or tilted down... don't bother with that shot, just save your credits.

Uh, you can also try weird trick shots where you shoot down into the engine deck (probably easier on the back engine deck rather than the front one). It's 40mm so you should be able to overmatch it with your 122mm gun.  You can try this if you're in a sidescraping stalemate (or if he's on lower ground than you).  Very RNG dependent though, because the IS-6 doesn't have good accuracy, and this target will be very small.

I think my plan A would probably be to sidescrape, try to bait out a bad shot at an autobounce angle, then try to rush in and hit him in the side during his long reload.  Not a very good plan A...

1mp0ster #13 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 12:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 37067 battles
  • [NVRDI] NVRDI
I have this thing sticking out of my vehicle and it makes flashes when I click my mouse. What is the point of this thing?

Cazamal #14 Posted Jan 21 2017 - 21:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2752 battles
How do I know where to go as a heavy tank? I make one mistake and movement and get bombarded by TDs and die. How do I try to stop this?

Dhizi #15 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 00:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
I'm back up, and back from work -- So I'll be reconvening answering questions!

Dhizi #16 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 00:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Post1mp0ster, on Jan 21 2017 - 06:56, said:

I have this thing sticking out of my vehicle and it makes flashes when I click my mouse. What is the point of this thing?

I'm..Fairly certain that's your tanks gun. It's meant to do damage to enemy tanks. :P

Dhizi #17 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 01:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostCazamal, on Jan 21 2017 - 15:57, said:

How do I know where to go as a heavy tank? I make one mistake and movement and get bombarded by TDs and die. How do I try to stop this?

This is a particularly difficult question to answer as it contains a lot of variables.

For one -- It depends on the map. If the map contains a city and you are in a slow heavy, you will definitely want to go to the city and brawl, so you have cover of solid objects and buildings to fall back behind as you are reloading or re-positioning.

It also depends on the type of heavy tank you are driving -- And how many heavy tanks are on your team. From looking at your statistics I assume the heavy tanks you are talking about are the KV-1 and KV-2 -- Both tanks perform much better in cities than open fields.

The Kv-1 (if you are the top tier on your team) should be at the frontline, using his armor and superior amount of hitpoints to win brawls, along with your gun. You're more mobile than the KV-2 and have better turret and hull traverse, so you can be more aggressive -- But NEVER go into un-scouted territory as this will often leave you a sitting duck for Tank destroyers waiting for an opportunity to shoot you down.

The Kv-2 is more of a troll-tank..It's not a conventional heavy tank. It's best to follow closely to another heavy-tank on your team and support them with your giant gun, then fall-back and hide until you are reloaded as to keep yourself alive since you have a horribly long reload. The KV-2 should always try to be in the middle of his team -- not the front or the back. Only expose yourself when you have a shot or an advantage!

Unfortunately, until you have earned more experience in the game -- and have played all the maps numerous times, it will take a long while until you figure out where every tank-type goes. So the best thing I can do to suggest to you is to keep playing, keep practicing, and be cautious when you move into large open areas in slow tanks -- stick to cover and move steadily under the support of scouts spotting for you.

Dhizi #18 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 10:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
The helpline will be off until the morning -- I must rest and reconvene tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else as you play!

Dhizi #19 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 18:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4301 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
The thread is active once more. Ask questions away at your will!

Titaneus_ #20 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 20:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 1009 battles

I am having trouble when it comes to pushing forward. In some battles I overextend and get completely obliterated and in others I stay too far back. Or I just get destroyed by artillery. How can I stop this? I'm a heavy tank driver (T29).

Also, what is a good tank that I can use to make money? (Non premium)

Edited by Titaneus_, Jan 23 2017 - 20:34.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users