Wife's challenge (unbeknownst to her) is accepted

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

DustererBernd #1 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 18:42

Private

• Players
  • 4597 battles
I turned 35 recently and one of the presents I got from my wife was a tank modeling kit. I have only done two before this one and they are not even compared to the ones I have seen here (very potato, wow). When she told me she got me a tank modeling kit, I was excited, because despite my poor modeling skills, I still enjoy building them. However when I opened the box, I realized it was one of those Testors models you can find in Michael's or some other crafting stores. Nevertheless I hid my initial disappointment and decided to add some creativity and build slightly different tank. First I wanted to go with M4 Revalorisé, but then I thought that maybe I will attempt building sergeant Wardaddy's tank from the movie Fury. It's still work in progress and I am still trying to figure out how I am going to add inscription on the barrel. I am bracing for any negativity, but really hoping for some helpful input and tips.

Attached Files

• Attached File   fury.jpg   197.06K
  • Attached File   furiousrear.jpg   149.54K

Harkonen_siegetank #2 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 18:44

Major

• Players
  • 27945 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
You call that poor modeling skills? You sir, are underselling yourself. Lol.

BigMeatHammer #3 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 44073 battles

Very nice +1

Poor skills?

BladedPheonix #4 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:02

Major

• Players
  • 38598 battles
  • [KKREW] KKREW
not bad, though there's obvious signs that you need improvement in some areas. (painting/weathering):harp:

DeathbyGMaC #5 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24804 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
Looks great to me. Now take it out back with some Army men, set up a battlefield get a BB gun and have a blast!

LordCommanderMilitant #6 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 8503 battles
  • [KURO] KURO

View PostDustererBernd, on Jan 22 2017 - 17:42, said:

I turned 35 recently and one of the presents I got from my wife was a tank modeling kit. I have only done two before this one and they are not even compared to the ones I have seen here (very potato, wow). When she told me she got me a tank modeling kit, I was excited, because despite my poor modeling skills, I still enjoy building them. However when I opened the box, I realized it was one of those Testors models you can find in Michael's or some other crafting stores. Nevertheless I hid my initial disappointment and decided to add some creativity and build slightly different tank. First I wanted to go with M4 Revalorisé, but then I thought that maybe I will attempt building sergeant Wardaddy's tank from the movie Fury. It's still work in progress and I am still trying to figure out how I am going to add inscription on the barrel. I am bracing for any negativity, but really hoping for some helpful input and tips.

I write inscriptions on my figures with a fine brush. There are paint pens I used to use, but they're not as fine point. I assume your kit didn't come with waterslides.

Otherwise, that doesn't look like "bad modelling skills". It's definitely better than my first few models. If you want to weather it, I've been told sand, sawdust, and glue work well to make mud. For flocking bases, sand works well.

wildgooseman #7 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22526 battles
  • [-A-8-] -A-8-

Looks great!

I would suggest getting a very fine brush then cutting it to 1 or 2 bristles. Practice on some paper first so you can get the letters readable at such a small size. Many moons ago I used to paint D&D characters for people and found this worked on the tiny detail.

Gramps_77 #8 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7934 battles

Looks pretty good to me.  :medal:

I've been tempted to try a model as I used to love to build them when I was a kid.  Not sure if the old eyes and wore out hands could do it now.

J3Tears #9 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4739 battles
  • [-DIG-] -DIG-
I made a Ginger bread house once and I actually had to Guerrilla glue the house together. So In my book you did pretty good. 

IcedBroom #10 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 20:11

Major

• Players
  • 28859 battles
  • [CHAI] CHAI

View PostDustererBernd, on Jan 22 2017 - 12:42, said:

1st off man that tank looks really great man. 2nd that tank looks strangely familiar like a firefly. That gun looks like a 17 pounder which makes me think this. But anyway great job on the tank man. If you can make a leopard 2a6 MBT with the black maple leaf on it. Also if Lert was here he could give you any tips or tricks on what to do he is great at making models as well but he is rarely seen anymore.

RevJenkins #11 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 21:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20394 battles

Wife got you a model of a tank.  Even if she didn't get you what you wanted exactly, she tried.  Sounds to me that she is ok with your tank and model hobby.  Buy her something she likes and has interest in.  It's not the model so much as she did a solid for you.  She's a keeper.

Models look great too.

Edited by RevJenkins, Jan 22 2017 - 21:09.

MeatheadMilitia #12 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 00:05

Corporal

• Administrator
  • 9185 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Soooo I received a similar gift and opened the box, grabbed the first sheet of parts, looked at my fat fingers and said, NOPE!

Kudos to you for following through. It looks awesome! 

Da_Craw #13 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 00:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17581 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
The mount for the Ma Deuce looks a bit tall.  Is it supposed to sit further down? 

X32Wright #14 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 01:36

Captain

• VT Coordinator
  • 32555 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on Jan 31 2017 - 18:05, said:

Soooo I received a similar gift and opened the box, grabbed the first sheet of parts, looked at my fat fingers and said, NOPE!

Weren't those NYC donuts? ;)

buttknuckle #15 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 01:44

Captain

• Players
  • 35489 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

View PostDeathbyGMaC, on Jan 22 2017 - 18:05, said:

Looks great to me. Now take it out back with some Army men, set up a battlefield get a BB gun and have a blast!

Nice to see I'm not the only one who spent their childhood being constructive. Building them around firecrackers and using a flamethrower (WD40 and a lighter) was also a lot of fun.

Spc4_Arndts #16 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 05:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17702 battles
  • [-1NA-] -1NA-

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on Jan 31 2017 - 18:05, said:

Meat, here are some tips from a model shop owner and maker... actually you might wanna watch some of these vids. lots of tanks he makes.. LOTS

Sturm_Teufel #17 Posted Feb 01 2017 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 37981 battles
  • [EMPER] EMPER
Nice job so far, where's the ion cannon? :P

chrisibare #18 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 04:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10109 battles

View PostDustererBernd, on Jan 22 2017 - 18:42, said:

​Wish I was 35 again ! :child:​  Although its good that You have a Wife who supports your Hobby.  Modelmaking  should be an enjoyable creative Past-time, Do what works best for You.

Here's a sample of what can be accomplished, when the 2nd ex-Wife would leave Me alone ! :teethhappy:​1 month to build, 2 months to paint & detail. ; Once I get the garage cleaned out, I might get back into the Hobby.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users