Ripper skin removal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Deputy276 #1 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:34

Major

• Players
  • 15993 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
Just came back to WOT from WoWs and I see WG has screwed things up with skins again. Does anyone make a current Ripper skin remover?

Edited by Deputy276, Jan 22 2017 - 19:34.

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #2 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:45

Major

• Players
  • 15555 battles
  • [2HARM] 2HARM

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 11 2016 - 17:48, said:

You can use this:

https://dl.dropboxus...per-free KR.zip

It swaps the models of the M64 KR with the regular M46. The onyl thing actually different model wise between this, and the other KR is the muzzlebrake is the normal 90mm M3 one and not the one from the KR.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

Dratt_Dastardly #3 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:52

Captain

• Players
  • 26577 battles

If you didn't like the KR skin, then why get it?

And as for skins are involved, the KR's is historical.

Deputy276 #4 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 19:59

Major

• Players
  • 15993 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on Jan 22 2017 - 12:45, said:

Excellent! Thank you sir!!! Oops...linky broken. I think that's the skin I was using. Doesn't work any more. :(

As to why I bought the KR...I bought it IN SPITE OF the fugly, clown car camo. The tank itself is quite good. Historical or hysterical? :teethhappy: The pictures they showed are most likely posed for publicity purposes. Show me some pictures of the tank IN COMBAT with that paint job. There are none. No tanker would go into combat with a tank painted day-glo florescent yellow. Well...maybe a suicidal kamikaze crew might do it. But they wouldn't last long.

Edited by Deputy276, Jan 22 2017 - 20:01.

wookie_monster #5 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 20:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17988 battles

There's an interesting article about it here

According to The Chieftain, it was a plan devised by the US military’s Psychological Warfare section and the tanks were used in Operation Ripper.

"I have not encountered as yet any documentation showing how effective it was. I have similarly not encountered any documentation showing how effective the US soldiers thought it was. Frankly, I can’t imagine it would have had any particular effect. A tank coming at you is scary in and of itself, regardless of what’s painted on the front of it.  What I am fairly confident of, however, is that the US tankers would have taken to the instructions with gleeful abandon regardless of their opinion of the effectiveness. Face it, we don’t often get official authorization to completely un-militarify our tanks and paint them up like that."

BigRedTankGuy #6 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 21:06

Captain

• Players
  • 27137 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

I was in the same boat and did this myself using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUwS9Oqx08

I kept the stripe portion and just removed the "face" and claws on the front.

I plan to do the Skorpion G next and am trying to figure out how to do the M41 90 as I noticed with its files the WG logos count as emblems apparently and therefore appear to be different in removal then the normal tank skin.

Dratt_Dastardly #7 Posted Jan 22 2017 - 21:13

Captain

• Players
  • 26577 battles

It was used on many different tanks during the Korean War.  Really more so with the Pershings and Shermans.  

And yeah, it was to mess with the enemies' minds.  The tiger has a strong symbolic image in Asian cultures.  After all, it's the image China used on their fighters during WW2.  But in this case, the US was using it against them.  And supposedly to make it even worse, it was also the Year of the Dragon when those paint schemes were used.

Not all the schemes went to the lengths that the WoT model used (which is based off actual paint schemes).  Some just had the image of the tiger face transforming from the tank, without claws.  Others just had a tiger head painted on the front of the armor.

Deputy276 #8 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 15993 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostBigRedTankGuy, on Jan 22 2017 - 14:06, said:

I was in the same boat and did this myself using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUwS9Oqx08

I kept the stripe portion and just removed the "face" and claws on the front.

I plan to do the Skorpion G next and am trying to figure out how to do the M41 90 as I noticed with its files the WG logos count as emblems apparently and therefore appear to be different in removal then the normal tank skin.

I need a full re-paint, but thanks for the suggestion.:)

View PostDratt_Dastardly, on Jan 22 2017 - 14:13, said:

It was used on many different tanks during the Korean War.  Really more so with the Pershings and Shermans.  

And yeah, it was to mess with the enemies' minds.  The tiger has a strong symbolic image in Asian cultures.  After all, it's the image China used on their fighters during WW2.  But in this case, the US was using it against them.  And supposedly to make it even worse, it was also the Year of the Dragon when those paint schemes were used.

Not all the schemes went to the lengths that the WoT model used (which is based off actual paint schemes).  Some just had the image of the tiger face transforming from the tank, without claws.  Others just had a tiger head painted on the front of the armor.

Unless the military has drastically changed from the Korean War (which is highly unlikely), the operative word they live by is UNIFORMITY. That means everything looks the same.  Again...I will believe all this crap about all these tanks being re-painted in Korea when I SEE IT. All I am hearing is THEORY. 

Propaganda photos WERE used to build up the morale of people stateside who weren't 100% behind this war. 

Fett713 #9 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 23:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27916 battles
  • [BSI] BSI

I think if you took the stock Patton AM files and added the KR suffix and dropped them in to overwrite the Tiger paintjob AM files that might work? As for pics, so far these are the ones I've found online anyway, ones that could be in the field. The one of a column of Shermans crossing the Han River is as real as it gets I'd say, The one of the Sherman with the dozer, that would be the least likely propaganda tank in history lol! First pic in color and the fourth pic are of the same tank, in the fourth pic, the crew has on some cold weather hats, looks similar to a Russian Ushanka? I'm guessing pilfered from enemy Korean troops? I don't know much about who was wearing what though so, just a guess or assumption, hoping someone knows though.

Spoiler

Edited by Fett713, Jan 23 2017 - 23:22.

Fett713 #10 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 23:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27916 battles
  • [BSI] BSI

Found two more, Life magazine pic shows two South Korean soldiers with the tanks crew and they have the hats, so that clears up my curiosity on the hats and even a Chaffee got in on the paint action lol!

Spoiler

Deputy276 #11 Posted Jan 24 2017 - 07:34

Major

• Players
  • 15993 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
Wow! Well I stand corrected. I can tell you one thing...ain't no way tankers could get away with that stuff now. Sure didn't happen in Vietnam on any tanks, US or the ones loaned to Vietnamese, I ever saw. Interesting that some of the tankers are wearing steel pots. That stopped when they issued CVC (Combat Vehicle Crewman) helmets. I know in the movie Fury you see them wearing steel pots too. That's correct for WW2 and Korea. 

Avalon304 #12 Posted Jan 24 2017 - 10:09

Major

• Players
  • 14114 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

If you still want the skin removed you can find it (and others even) here:

http://forum.worldof...-skin-workshop/

Deputy276 #13 Posted Jan 24 2017 - 19:36

Major

• Players
  • 15993 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
YES!!! Exactly what I was looking for!! A million thanks to you, my friend. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users