A newbie question about Personal Reserves...

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Roggg2 #61 Posted Apr 17 2017 - 19:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

View Postda_Rock002, on Apr 17 2017 - 12:46, said:

And the snail's pace is going to drive some people to BUY the last percentages with free experience.   ('free experience' ...  what a cute name)

That would be a huge mistake.  It's a bad use for free xp.

Rather than seeing it as it takes longer near the end, the "glass half full" perspective is they practically give you half the benefit of the skill in only a handful of games, and then let you grind the top end over a longer period of time..  

NormJoe #62 Posted Apr 17 2017 - 20:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 84016 battles
  • [77G] 77G

I have 1300+ personal reserves and use them mostly for doing the ontrack events and nightly 20l XP bonus if I have no time.

I don't think it was mentioned but you get PR 100% or other bonus whether you win or not.

So if you have a good game but lose it still adds up and helps.

The personal reserve bonus shows on the 3rd tab for your game stats in the right column.

It will show the regular XP credits and then another line shows the personal reserves bonus.

So if you earned 1000 XP it will show another line with the PR bonus of 1000 XP.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #63 Posted Apr 24 2017 - 01:27

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Apr 17 2017 - 12:46, said:

And the snail's pace is going to drive some people to BUY the last percentages with free experience.   ('free experience' ...  what a cute name)

Spoiler

I just saw the chart that another member posted here regarding the progression of crew skills. And I have to honestly say that I'm disappointed. It simply doesn't seem fair. I think our skills/perks should move and progress at the same pace throughout the entire duration.

As I stated earlier, I've tried to reach active skill status on a few of my favourite tanks, but I've simply given up on the idea of acquiring any active skills or perks. And sadly, and by the look of that chart, I am not even close to gaining a single one. And at the rate shown, I probably never will. Don't get me wrong, I do like this game, and I do try my hardest in every battle, but I have absolutely no intentions of growing any neck-beard any time soon, and/or playing "60,000+ battles" just so I can have active skills/perks on my tanks. I play this game for casual/quality fun and entertainment. I only need to enjoy a few quality battles, every now and then. I have no desire to play tens of thousands, upon thousands of consecutive, hurried, and low quality battles. Unfortunately though, it seems that it is those players that play the most here, that seem to get rewarded in this arena. 

Trigz420 #64 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 14:56

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10440 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

Another thing I do is save the "free experience" reserves for when I just want to play doubles.  Even better is the 5x weekend.  The key then is to play as many x2 or x5 tanks as you can.  Just to bring up your free xp.  

I have a type64 that I just got at 75% crew, and I am already on 64% of 2nd skill in about 120 battles (and made close to 2mil credits).  I dont have a premium account, but I used a 100% xp, 200% crew, and 50% credits PR for all of those battles.  As well as additional crew training enabled on the tank (its also a prem tank so 50% higher crew training anyway as well as credits).  The x2 crew training weekends are also a great time to blow all of those reserves.  

Just pick a tank you want to grind and a back up tank for when the primary is in battle, and pop an experience, and crew experience reserve.  

Edit just checked I only have 105 battles in the type64 so its definately possible using reserves to get your crew trained up quickly. 

Edited by Trigz420, Apr 26 2017 - 15:09.

dunniteowl #65 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 16:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 18506 battles

Hang in there I_S_S, it does take time.  I have 15K+ matches now and have three or four units of my now 27 or so, with 2 Full Skills and working a 3rd.  That's not many and those guys with 60K battles, they may have some awesome crews, but then again, some of those players are at or below your stats and it just proves it's not the tank or the crew, it's the operator of them that makes the difference.  Better crews does equal better tank performance, make no mistake.  However, don't make the mistake of thinking that's the only reason you're getting your backside handed you.  That sort of knowledge of what you're up against just ups the ante of where you have to be to excel if that's what you wish.

In the meantime, hang in there, do your best to make wise choices in battle and be patient.  It's taken a lot of time to get here where I am and I wasn't aware of my stats until I hit 4K+ and didn't actively work on improvement until I was over 5K matches.  Clawing upwards is hard, though gratifying.

Using the XP and Crew training reserves, IMO, works overall best for units that are lower tier and that you are not going to plan on keeping.  Using the Free XP reserves is GREAT for grinding new lines in tiers 5 and above.  Use wisely, they are not as plentiful as the others.  If you really gotta get some grinding reserves the Free XP is a great tool, though in this instance, it's more important NOT to skip around on a lot of units and make the Free XP count for the next unit in the line(s) you are grinding.

[Note: at your number of matches, I was at about 47.8% -- see?  You're already better than I was! ]

GL, HF & HSYBF

Edited by dunniteowl, Apr 26 2017 - 16:14.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #66 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 21:47

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 26 2017 - 10:11, said:

Hang in there I_S_S, it does take time.  I have 15K+ matches now and have three or four units of my now 27 or so, with 2 Full Skills and working a 3rd.  That's not many and those guys with 60K battles, they may have some awesome crews, but then again, some of those players are at or below your stats and it just proves it's not the tank or the crew, it's the operator of them that makes the difference.  Better crews does equal better tank performance, make no mistake.  However, don't make the mistake of thinking that's the only reason you're getting your backside handed you.  That sort of knowledge of what you're up against just ups the ante of where you have to be to excel if that's what you wish.

In the meantime, hang in there, do your best to make wise choices in battle and be patient.  It's taken a lot of time to get here where I am and I wasn't aware of my stats until I hit 4K+ and didn't actively work on improvement until I was over 5K matches. Clawing upwards is hard, though gratifying.

Using the XP and Crew training reserves, IMO, works overall best for units that are lower tier and that you are not going to plan on keeping.  Using the Free XP reserves is GREAT for grinding new lines in tiers 5 and above.  Use wisely, they are not as plentiful as the others.  If you really gotta get some grinding reserves the Free XP is a great tool, though in this instance, it's more important NOT to skip around on a lot of units and make the Free XP count for the next unit in the line(s) you are grinding.

[Note: at your number of matches, I was at about 47.8% -- see?  You're already better than I was! ]

GL, HF & HSYBF

That's exactly my point.

*As a player with a relatively low battle count, I am at that point where I have to ask myself...is it even worth it..?

In other words, is that investment in time, frustration, insanely and ridiculously long losing streaks...even worth it..? Consequently, I am seriously starting to wonder if I happened upon an online pixel game where the majority of players have a huge advantage and head start....and I am now running the "world of tanks race" 1000 meters behind everyone else. And I don't think I'll ever catch up, because as the people at the bottom of the pyramid try to "claw their way up", the players at the top are also doing the same {at the same rate}, but with an incredibly huge head start. 

Trigz420 #67 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 22:13

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10440 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

I guess it depends on your goals.  I can tell you having a skilled crew does not automatically generate a win.  Playing the same tank over and over (which also means the crew is better) will allow you to learn what you can or cant do in said tank.  IE if I run to a certain bush in the type64 will that cromwell lite me?  I dont have any t10 and I have been playing since beta.  So what, I play tanks I like and I only play a few weeks then disappear for months when I get irritated with the game.  I play now to have fun tooning with friends, and my wife also plays once in a while.

I guess my advice is join a clan and play for fun.  Some of my most memorable games were horrendous loses where I either choked right at the end or drove around in a luchs shooting people in the butt then got derped or flipped myself...  

At the end of the day its just a game.  When the game is old nobody will care/remember stats, but the friends I have made on this game will just move on to the next.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #68 Posted May 01 2017 - 01:26

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostTrigz420, on Apr 26 2017 - 16:13, said:

I guess it depends on your goals.  I can tell you having a skilled crew does not automatically generate a win.  Playing the same tank over and over (which also means the crew is better) will allow you to learn what you can or cant do in said tank.  IE if I run to a certain bush in the type64 will that cromwell lite me?  I dont have any t10 and I have been playing since beta.  So what, I play tanks I like and I only play a few weeks then disappear for months when I get irritated with the game.  I play now to have fun tooning with friends, and my wife also plays once in a while.

I guess my advice is join a clan and play for fun.  Some of my most memorable games were horrendous loses where I either choked right at the end or drove around in a luchs shooting people in the butt then got derped or flipped myself...  

At the end of the day its just a game.  When the game is old nobody will care/remember stats, but the friends I have made on this game will just move on to the next.

My #1 goal in this game is to simply have fun.

My secondary goals in this game, are to stay alive as long as I can...and be as effective in causing damage as I can, in each battle, and of course, play as competitively as I can. Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time doing any of those things while I am driving around tanks with absolutely no active crew skills whatsoever. Not a even single one. That's an obvious and continuous disadvantage I have in this game, and it's quite frustrating to see {in the details page after the battle} so many other players with tens of thousands of battles... and quite certainly, many, if not all, active crews skills and perks. Hard to compete with that. 

Lastly, you say that having active crew skills "doesn't automatically generate a win", but I'm sure it doesn't hurt your effectiveness in battle either...does it. Especially that Commanders Sixth Sense. I would love to have that skill, as I've heard it's stupidly overpowered and much much easier to stay alive and do damage in the face of those invisible enemy tanks that would normally just blast you into oblivion {kinda like what I experience right now}.

So, as I stated earlier, as a player with a relatively low battle count, and absolutely no active crew skills, I am at that point where I find myself asking the all important question...is it even worth it to continue..? And I'm not sure it is.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #69 Posted May 03 2017 - 00:11

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

On that note...

* I will certainly be taking a closer look at this guide:

Trigz420 #70 Posted May 04 2017 - 23:30

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10440 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

I agree with you about 6th sense.  Its the skill that has the biggest impact.  Personally I think it should be standard for everyone sort of like it is on wot blitz, maybe with some timing changes.  That way new players would at least get the I'm spotted a second before getting smashed.

Also just because you have a lower battle count does not mean that other players havent spent alot time in tanks with crappy crews.  I am going up the Chinese light line, I am using the type 64 crew for the lights.  However at t5, is the med type34 so I just did a crap crew, and played that stupid thing enough to get the 59-16 over the weekend.  It was unpleasant really because I hated the tank, not just the unskilled crew.  I don't run a premium account, so it takes me just as long as you to get through a tank I dont like.  I didnt start getting good crews until (3-4k battles) when I found a tank I liked and played the heck out of it (wolverine was my fav for a while).  Happy tanking!  If its not happy and fun take a break.

dunniteowl #71 Posted May 05 2017 - 04:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 18506 battles

Hear, hear, Trigz420!

I got my crew skills the hard way -- FTPP (Free To Play Pubbie) and had to grind well past my desired time in several units [though on balance, I am now thankful for that extra time] in order to get those skills.  Have not spent a penny.

Since the Physics changes and the new spotting timing mechanics, however, I have not found 6th Sense to be all that useful to me.  By the time the "Ruh-Roh" light comes on, I am either already being shot at or clearly know they see me as their turret rotates towards me.  I'm thinking Concealment might be a better use of that slot if it's not taken.  If it is, maybe something like Firefighting or Repairs.  6th Sense has no been berry good to me since the changes.

Or, maybe I'm paying more attention such that I notice I am in danger BEFORE my 6th Sense goes off?

Spooky, right?  A sixth sense of my 6th Sense?  What are the odds?

GL, HF & HSYBF

Edited by dunniteowl, May 05 2017 - 14:00.

Trigz420 #72 Posted May 05 2017 - 13:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10440 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

Another note about 6th sense, I don't just use it when camo up and sniping.  I use it on lights or meds say poke around a corner, and back up quickly.  I expect to get spotted so after backing up I will wait and see if 6th sense goes off.  Then you can poke further.  In the late game when you are hunting the last several tanks 6th sense is very valuable to confirm roughly where the enemy is located especially if they are a TD.   

Edit:  Its even better on a heavy as you may not be able to light them poking around a corner, but at least you know for sure where they are.

Edited by Trigz420, May 05 2017 - 13:42.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #73 Posted May 25 2017 - 21:28

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostNormJoe, on Apr 17 2017 - 14:01, said:

I have 1300+ personal reserves and use them mostly for doing the ontrack events and nightly 20l XP bonus if I have no time.

I don't think it was mentioned but you get PR 100% or other bonus whether you win or not.

So if you have a good game but lose it still adds up and helps.

The personal reserve bonus shows on the 3rd tab for your game stats in the right column.

It will show the regular XP credits and then another line shows the personal reserves bonus.

So if you earned 1000 XP it will show another line with the PR bonus of 1000 XP.

Thanks, I'll have to check that again.

The last time I looked at my after battle details I couldn't find anything related to PR bonus activation etc. Is this something they just recently added to our details page..? 

War__Metal #74 Posted Oct 28 2017 - 19:43

Private

• -Players-
  • 366 battles

The Time limit on PR's is that real world or in game time

so if I activate and hour one play 30 min come back 40 min later will the PR be out of time

Thanks

da_Rock002 #75 Posted Oct 28 2017 - 19:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5217 battles
Say you turn one on at 13:00 and it's a 1hr Reserve.    It'll shut off at 14:00, no matter if you've been logged in and there or out cutting grass.

Edited by da_Rock002, Oct 28 2017 - 19:56.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #76 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 06:23

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostWar__Metal, on Oct 28 2017 - 13:43, said:

The Time limit on PR's is that real world or in game time

so if I activate and hour one play 30 min come back 40 min later will the PR be out of time

Thanks

^...Anyone...? anyone...?

FrozenKemp #77 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 13:38

Major

• Players
  • 42663 battles
It's real time, not game time. Da_Rock answered the question correctly.

Hard_Time_0424 #78 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 22:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 23 2017 - 15:02, said:

Dude, that is an excellent idea! I never thought of that.

Because after I get knocked out of battle {which usually doesn't take very long}, I like to linger and hang out in spectator mode, just to see how it all ends. However, in the case of personal reserve activation, and with the clock ticking, I certainly WON'T be doing that. That would be a waste of PR bonus.

Outstanding advice.

~Cheers!

Manage your objectives.  If you really, really want to build the crews quickly, these are great ideas; but, your comment about "lingering" sounds as if you think its a waste.  If you are in learning mode as a player, sticking around and seeing how the winner's did it, you are not wasting your time -- unless your are already purple! As the thread suggests, there are good times for grinding and good times for focusing on the play; just play your current BFT to push up you WR in prep for leveling up.  

I have found that building solid garage and playing skill takes more time than it does to grow 100% crews.  After a year-and-a-half of spending every dime on new tanks; I sold it all and started over and only leveled up after my current tank was Elite.There's nothing that pisses off the veteran more than to see a bright shining VIII driven by a noob.

I like what I hear and will adapt, too.

Thanks for the question.  

PS.  I'm not a reroll; I'm a convert.  12,000 games on console.  Today decided to see what you goes were doing over here!  Boy is it complex (before the battle) ; but, driving by keys seems a little easier.  Time will tell.

Edited by Hard_Time_0424, Nov 14 2017 - 22:57.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users