A newbie question about Personal Reserves...

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Iron_Soul_Stealer #21 Posted Jan 24 2017 - 01:25

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 23 2017 - 15:46, said:

When you open the window to activate reserves, mine won't let me activate more than one of each type. 

Those 3 types are Additional Experience,  Additional Crew Experience, and Additional Free Experience.   I can select one of each, which I assume gets you as much as possible out of the next hour or two when you have 3 running.  

I've never messed with the "EARN" or "PURCHASE" tabs, but have looked into them.  The EARN one seems to be another way to open Missions.  The PURCHASE seems yet another way WG came up with to get some of your gold.    Don't see real value in either tab. 

I've also looked through the after battle reports to see where WG awards the experience and it's beyond me where it shows.   Can anyone tell me where to look? how to see how much we "profited" having those reserves activated? 

That's a very good question. Does anyone out there know where to look for this type of info..?

Is it not in the detailed report after the battle..?

I haven't activated anything yet, but I would also like to see this, as well.

Prosqtor #22 Posted Jan 26 2017 - 13:46

Captain

• Players
  • 53679 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 23 2017 - 14:39, said:

That makes sense. Which PR is for the credit boost..? :amazed: I don't think I have that one..?

On the list in the garage I think they are furthest to the right.  The icon looks like a coin.  You almost certainly have at least one.  I have bought some at one time or another.  The combination of a really good earning prem and a booster is sensational.

dunniteowl #23 Posted Jan 26 2017 - 21:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 18506 battles

I will pick, as mentioned above, two, three or sometimes four units, take as many PRs as I can plaster down at once (usually a 2hr and a 1hr, sometimes I have two 2hr ones I can use) and then wail away.

I tend to marathon play anyway and I play all my units sort of willy nilly, which goes counter to most advice of playing certain units so as to get familiar with that type of unit.  I think, as long as you remain aware of the type of unit you are playing when you pick it and get yourself ready, that shouldn't be an issue.  In any case, this means I am used to swapping units repeatedly, so the PRs don't seem to give me that "sudden losing streak syndrome" many seem to claim to experience.  I pick units that have a much longer way to go than any others.  After all, that's what the PRs are for, speeding up that process.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Captain_Rownd #24 Posted Jan 26 2017 - 23:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1777 battles

Do the Personal Reserves boost skill/perk increase rate?  Also, does the little checkbox for accelerated training you get for an elited/premium vehicle boost skill/perk learning rate?  That's the thing I REALLY want to accelerate, since it takes forever to 100% a skill/perk.  I have also never used any Personal Reserves, and have far more than 100 available.  (it just says "99+", LOL)  I rarely know when I'll be able to play for 2 hours straight to use them (cats, girlfriend, etc), and I usually start playing when the playerbase is going into a nosedive for the night. (5-8 minutes to queue up a Valentine II battle, and then it's often only partial teams...)

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jan 26 2017 - 23:51.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #25 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Jan 26 2017 - 17:48, said:

Do the Personal Reserves boost skill/perk increase rate?  Also, does the little checkbox for accelerated training you get for an elited/premium vehicle boost skill/perk learning rate?  That's the thing I REALLY want to accelerate, since it takes forever to 100% a skill/perk.  I have also never used any Personal Reserves, and have far more than 100 available.  (it just says "99+", LOL)  I rarely know when I'll be able to play for 2 hours straight to use them (cats, girlfriend, etc), and I usually start playing when the playerbase is going into a nosedive for the night. (5-8 minutes to queue up a Valentine II battle, and then it's often only partial teams...)

That's an excellent question. Anyone know the answer to this..?

As a side note here, I certainly hope it does.

And regarding your second point...

I can certainly vouch for that. When I first started this game, I once did an experiment to see how long it would take me to get a 100% crew if I started them at only 50%. And you know what..? It takes a really long frickin time! I Even worse, I tried it in a crappy Pz 35t. It's not worth it...and I DO NOT recommend it for anyone.

...:facepalm: Stupid me.

View PostProsqtor, on Jan 26 2017 - 07:46, said:

On the list in the garage I think they are furthest to the right.  The icon looks like a coin.  You almost certainly have at least one.  I have bought some at one time or another.  The combination of a really good earning prem and a booster is sensational.

Thanks for the tip, I will look again.

Honestly, my short-term wot goal is to eventually unlock and purchase the IS, and then go for the IS-3. I'm a brawler, and I play a bit on the aggressive side, so I need a tank that can take a few punches and keep rolling. I was told that IS-3 is the right tank for me, then. Unless you know of a better one..? Let me know...

da_Rock002 #26 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 01:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5217 battles

Iron_Soul_Stealer,

It takes time.    The time actually is less as you go up the tiers and then apparently slows a bit in the top tiers.    Lots of people mention the most productive tiers.   They talk about how the productivity increases as you get out of the low ones.   Crew experience is one thing that seems tied in to that.    I realized recently however, that it's a good idea to carry a few crews along to keep from losing what they've gained.   I was keeping all the tanks from the low tiers and then realized I probably would not club seals so would not enjoy using them in the future.   Leaving the crews with all those tanks means you start over at zero skills every new tank.   That sucks.    Carrying them along at least carries the skills along. 

The way the game works, those skills apparently are worth more to you in the higher tiers.   Some have said you don't really need them until you're halfway up.    OK...   I've yet to see any way to prove any of the skills/perks do anything other than the 6th Sense for the commander.    That's just like not knowing how to check Reserve pay offs.   Seems like a lot of things in this game are like that. 

Captain_Rownd #27 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 03:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1777 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 27 2017 - 01:00, said:

I can certainly vouch for that. When I first started this game, I once did an experiment to see how long it would take me to get a 100% crew if I started them at only 50%. And you know what..? It takes a really long frickin time! I Even worse, I tried it in a crappy Pz 35t. It's not worth it...and I DO NOT recommend it for anyone.

I have 100% crews (with gold), but it's the skllls/perks that I'm trying to get to 100%.  I think my most advanced commander is up to about 85% on his first skill, and I swap him between two premiums to get it that high.  I still don't have any commanders with "sixth sense", other than the sweedish women who came with free 100% skills.  Hoping the accelerated training and Personal Reserves increases the learning rate for skills/perks.

Prosqtor #28 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 15:46

Captain

• Players
  • 53679 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 26 2017 - 19:00, said:

That's an excellent question. Anyone know the answer to this..?

As a side note here, I certainly hope it does.

Thanks for the tip, I will look again.

Honestly, my short-term wot goal is to eventually unlock and purchase the IS, and then go for the IS-3. I'm a brawler, and I play a bit on the aggressive side, so I need a tank that can take a few punches and keep rolling. I was told that IS-3 is the right tank for me, then. Unless you know of a better one..? Let me know...

IS-3, because of the overmatch mechanics, works best for me.  At tier 8 the T32 is also heavily armored and can really fight up close.

dunniteowl #29 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 16:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 18506 battles

As regards PRs and their 'increase' to Crew Training Skills/Perks.  This is more of a logic thing than any official information, though I have used my share of PRs in the last couple of years (Thanks WG!) and have watched them as they 'worked' compared to my normal progress...

The "Additional Crew Experience per Battle" provides a Direct Boost to your (wait for it) Crew XP.  As it is Per Battle, it behooves you to either do damage consistently in those battles to do as much as you can per battle (which means play as smart and aggressively as you can) and do, as mentioned above, as many battles as you can in that time with the units you wish to Crew Up.  I have 100% & 200% PRs like that.  With the "Additional Experience per Battle" you still will go faster, just not as fast as the crew experience PRs.  I only have ever had Crew, Experience and now Free Experience PRs.  I only get what I 'win' or am gifted so that's all I have seen.

I have watched, though and the Experience PRs increase your overall base experience and adds that bonus on at the end, so you get your "normal" XP/Credits, then have the boosted "Base" XP onto that.  It still speeds it up, but the best ones are the Crew Exp in that regard.  They all serve to increase your grind, whether it's crew, research or free, the additional boosts do have their effect and if you can use all three types at once, then BAM, it's effective.  I'm not the only one that would tell you this from personal experience, Tsavo also has a post where he speaks about it and apparently, until that moment it was a surprise to him.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Iron_Soul_Stealer #30 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 23:05

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostProsqtor, on Jan 27 2017 - 09:46, said:

IS-3, because of the overmatch mechanics, works best for me.  At tier 8 the T32 is also heavily armored and can really fight up close.

Thanks, I will probably be going for the IS-3 because that's the line I've decided to grind up, and it seems like a pretty decent tank. I'm sure that T32 is equally tough, I just didn't go up that line. Like I said, I need a tank that can take some serious punches, and I hope this is the right one for me. How is that IS..? I heard it's not so good in that punch-department. I still have to grind through that one...much to my dismay.  

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Jan 26 2017 - 21:38, said:

I have 100% crews (with gold), but it's the skllls/perks that I'm trying to get to 100%.  I think my most advanced commander is up to about 85% on his first skill, and I swap him between two premiums to get it that high.  I still don't have any commanders with "sixth sense", other than the sweedish women who came with free 100% skills.  Hoping the accelerated training and Personal Reserves increases the learning rate for skills/perks.

^..That's the one thing that I have never tried...yet. *Buying 100% crews with gold*

I know that a lot of players do it, but I usually start {and purchase with credits} my crews at 75%, and then grind them, as well. But I guess that gold/100% crew gets you quite a head start in the skill/perk arena ...right..?

On that note...

*I might be wrong here, but I thought there was an option a while back where you could also convert/advance crew skills/skills/perks etc. with gold and free experience..? Was that a thing..? ...or, was I dreaming this..? Anyone know..?

Captain_Rownd #31 Posted Jan 27 2017 - 23:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1777 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 27 2017 - 23:05, said:

^..That's the one thing that I have never tried...yet. *Buying 100% crews with gold*

I know that a lot of players do it, but I usually start {and purchase with credits} my crews at 75%, and then grind them, as well. But I guess that gold/100% crew gets you quite a head start in the skill/perk arena ...right..?

On that note...

*I might be wrong here, but I thought there was an option a while back where you could also convert/advance crew skills/skills/perks etc. with gold and free experience..? Was that a thing..? ...or, was I dreaming this..? Anyone know..?

I ran less than 100% crews for the first couple of weeks, but eventually got sick of missing shots and not being able to contribute much, and found out how long the grind is to get crew to 100%. 

My impression was that you don't even get started on training the skills/perks until the crew member is up to 100% in their base training. 

There is a way to advance skills/perks with gold or free XP, but I have many uses for gold and never have any free XP to spend so I don't know.  (if I was in the game I'd look, but not near that computer now)

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jan 27 2017 - 23:29.

Prosqtor #32 Posted Jan 30 2017 - 17:01

Captain

• Players
  • 53679 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 27 2017 - 17:05, said:

Thanks, I will probably be going for the IS-3 because that's the line I've decided to grind up, and it seems like a pretty decent tank. I'm sure that T32 is equally tough, I just didn't go up that line. Like I said, I need a tank that can take some serious punches, and I hope this is the right one for me. How is that IS..? I heard it's not so good in that punch-department. I still have to grind through that one...much to my dismay.  

On that note...

All of the Russian heavies have good armor.  Remember when you get the "piked" nose tanks you do NOT want to angle your front armor.  When the nose is flat, you do want to angle.  I highly recommend looking for a proper explanation of how to angle your armor, such explanations are out there.

Prosqtor #33 Posted Jan 30 2017 - 17:12

Captain

• Players
  • 53679 battles

ISS, I suggest you read this.  Ignore the silly whining by people who do not like KA, the guide is very good and will answer some of your questions.

http://forum.worldof... alphyn#topmost

Roggg2 #34 Posted Jan 30 2017 - 18:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

Here's what I suggest for getting the most out of them:

1)  Most important:  When you die in battle, exit to garage and start another battle.  Clock is ticking, and while it's sometimes educational or entertaining to watch the completion of the battle, you want to play as many as you can while you have the boost.

2)  I use the combat XP and crew XP together when I'm grinding a line.  It helps a LOT.

3)  credit boosters I consider special, and I run them less often, and only when I'm "credit grinding".  Use them when you want to gain credits, and only play your most profitable tanks.  Tier 8 premiums if you have them, otherwise tier 5-6 regular tanks that dont need premium ammo to be effective.  You probably know which tanks you make money in.

4)  Free xp boosters, I use any time...often with crew and combat xp.

5)  Make sure you have the block of time uninterrupted to play before you launch them.

Da_Craw #35 Posted Jan 31 2017 - 00:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 21954 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

I would not bother using a PR in a tank below Tier IV.  The XP earned in tiers 4-8 ramps up significantly, and gets you a lot more bang per PR.  For crew training, if you have a Premium in that line or the crew you are wanting to boost is already in an Elite tank (or both ideally), use those with the PR.  Don't bother with the Tier II or III Premiums, though.  They just don't generate enough xp.  A double handful of battles will have you in a Tier IV anyway, so there is no point to grinding xp there.  

Though its off topic a bit, if you are starting up a new line, and actually intend to play all the tanks and not free xp them, don't bother with crews until Tier IV.  Just use a decent crew from another tank if it is available until you get to Tier IV or use the free 50% crew.  It sucks, but it is so few battles it doesn't matter.  

Edited by Da_Craw, Jan 31 2017 - 00:22.

_xnyL_ #36 Posted Jan 31 2017 - 12:28

Private

• -Players-
  • 90 battles

View PostRoggg2, on Jan 30 2017 - 18:12, said:

Here's what I suggest for getting the most out of them:

1)  Most important:  When you die in battle, exit to garage and start another battle.  Clock is ticking, and while it's sometimes educational or entertaining to watch the completion of the battle, you want to play as many as you can while you have the boost.

I think you loose all what you have earned in that battle if you exit from it before it ends. You don't loose much if you die early in the battle, but if you have done a good amount of damage, and your team is winning the battle, you loose more than you propably can gain starting an new battle little earlier.

_xnyL_ #37 Posted Jan 31 2017 - 12:37

Private

• -Players-
  • 90 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jan 27 2017 - 23:05, said:

On that note...

If you start your crew as 75% in their major skill, you need about 73k xp to get them 100%. Usin gold and startin immediately gaining their 1st skill, you get yur crews to 77% in their 1st skill with that 73k xp.  I think it's most useful way to use gold.

I've done skill increase with freeXP once.  My commander had his 1st skill as 6 sense, and 2nd skill 91%. All other crew members had their 1st skill 100%, and 2nd skill 17% - 34%.  I used 14k freexp to get commanders 2nd skill to 100%, and drivers 2nd skill to 34%.  Then I could reset crews skills with gold so that I had crew with their 1st perk as BIA, commander with 2nd skill as 6 sense. I think it was worth that 14k freexp to do this.

Edited by _xnyL_, Jan 31 2017 - 12:38.

Roggg2 #38 Posted Jan 31 2017 - 16:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

View Post_xnyL_, on Jan 31 2017 - 06:28, said:

I think you loose all what you have earned in that battle if you exit from it before it ends. You don't loose much if you die early in the battle, but if you have done a good amount of damage, and your team is winning the battle, you loose more than you propably can gain starting an new battle little earlier.

You dont lose anything if you exit when you are dead.  

Iron_Soul_Stealer #39 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View PostProsqtor, on Jan 30 2017 - 11:01, said:

All of the Russian heavies have good armor.  Remember when you get the "piked" nose tanks you do NOT want to angle your front armor.  When the nose is flat, you do want to angle.  I highly recommend looking for a proper explanation of how to angle your armor, such explanations are out there.

Thanks for that tip. I am aware of that type of armour, as I believe I have it on my IS-6. I face those shots 'head on', not that it helps me very much, though. I'm usually penned and knocked out within the first few minutes of my high tier battles. That's why I quit playing high tiers and dropped down to the lower/mid tiers.

View Post_xnyL_, on Jan 31 2017 - 06:37, said:

If you start your crew as 75% in their major skill, you need about 73k xp to get them 100%. Usin gold and startin immediately gaining their 1st skill, you get yur crews to 77% in their 1st skill with that 73k xp.  I think it's most useful way to use gold.

I've done skill increase with freeXP once.  My commander had his 1st skill as 6 sense, and 2nd skill 91%. All other crew members had their 1st skill 100%, and 2nd skill 17% - 34%.  I used 14k freexp to get commanders 2nd skill to 100%, and drivers 2nd skill to 34%.  Then I could reset crews skills with gold so that I had crew with their 1st perk as BIA, commander with 2nd skill as 6 sense. I think it was worth that 14k freexp to do this.

Well, I finally activated a few of my personal reserves over the last few days...and I have to say that I didn't notice a huge difference in the bonus rewards {in fact, I'm not even sure where they were listed?}, although I'm sure they were there, somewhere. I think my crew skills in my one heavy advanced about 3%, but it's still a long way from 100%.

And yes, I now start/buy my crews at 75% with silver {no gold used} ...and grind them up as I grind my tanks. Still seems like it takes forever to get them up to 100%, though...doesn't it..?

Prosqtor #40 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 19:41

Captain

• Players
  • 53679 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Feb 02 2017 - 13:23, said:

Thanks for that tip. I am aware of that type of armour, as I believe I have it on my IS-6. I face those shots 'head on', not that it helps me very much, though. I'm usually penned and knocked out within the first few minutes of my high tier battles. That's why I quit playing high tiers and dropped down to the lower/mid tiers.

Well, I finally activated a few of my personal reserves over the last few days...and I have to say that I didn't notice a huge difference in the bonus rewards {in fact, I'm not even sure where they were listed?}, although I'm sure they were there, somewhere. I think my crew skills in my one heavy advanced about 3%, but it's still a long way from 100%.

And yes, I now start/buy my crews at 75% with silver {no gold used} ...and grind them up as I grind my tanks. Still seems like it takes forever to get them up to 100%, though...doesn't it..?

The number one thing I advise new players:  Do not go up past tier VI until you are doing well.  The upper tiers are full of good, experienced players who will take advantage of your errors.  I LOVE tiers V and VI.  Many interesting tanks with unique features.   I think VI TDs are the best tanks you can have when you are bottom tier.  That is, VI TDs can definitely damage VIII tanks of all sorts.  If you MUST play higher tiers, play well armored heavies until you learn the subtleties of the game.

Also, ISS, look for explanations of the training curve for crews.  It takes more and more XP as you get near 100% on a skill or perk.  Read this:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

Edited by Prosqtor, Feb 02 2017 - 19:55.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users