Jump to content


A newbie question about Personal Reserves...


  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

da_Rock002 #41 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 22:44

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016

It would be really nice if WoT would report the results of the Reserve when they print out the "Times Up" message.

 

Does anyone know how many points went into the crews you were hoping to strengthen?  and more importantly the "extra" points as well.



Iron_Soul_Stealer #42 Posted Feb 02 2017 - 23:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 2907 battles
  • 8,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostRoggg2, on Jan 31 2017 - 10:38, said:

 

You dont lose anything if you exit when you are dead.  

 

Ummmm, that's what I thought.

 

View Postda_Rock002, on Feb 02 2017 - 16:44, said:

It would be really nice if WoT would report the results of the Reserve when they print out the "Times Up" message.

 

Does anyone know how many points went into the crews you were hoping to strengthen?  and more importantly the "extra" points as well.

 

^..Yes. This.

How do we know what added bonus we received from our PR activation..?

 

*I take comprehensive screenshots of everything {and every page} after each battle, and I tried looking at the details pages later, but I couldn't see anything regarding personal reserve bonuses..? Was I looking in the wrong spot..?

 

 



Sergeant_Buzzkill #43 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 00:57

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18552 battles
  • 510
  • Member since:
    11-18-2012

Hey ISS!

 

It appears you've gotten the basic rundown of how PRs work so I'll share with you how I utilize mine.

 

Additional XP: This one is most useful for grinding up a line, whether you're trying to upgrade a module ASAP or just get through a tank and onto the next one in the line.  If you activate one and then play a tank that's fully researched with accelerated crew training on, you're wasting it.

 

Additional Crew XP: When I'm grinding up a line, I typically move one crew up thru each tank as I go.  IOW, when I unlock a tank and purchase it, I buy it without a crew and move the same crew into it by retraining with credits (I avoid spending gold for something so minor).  Then I fire up this PR and grind away.  I will use a premium tank if I have one to get maximum XP earnings.

 

Additional Free XP: These are gold to me because the Free XP you earn normally is fairly small so anything you can use to boost that is seriously useful.  It seems there are always one or two tanks in a line that just suck, Free XP helps you get past those heaps of junk or to get to the top module faster.  Stock sucks.

 

Additional Credits: I believe this is the least common PR of the four.  If I'm grinding credits with premiums, then I fire it up, otherwise I stockpile until the time comes.

 

One caveat to all of these is that they have the most value when you're playing well and winning.  If you're playing poorly or struggling, the dividend may not be apparent.  As is often the case, you may fire up a PR and suddenly you seem to get horrid MM or trolled by RNG.

 

Hope this helps.



da_Rock002 #44 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 01:48

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016

Anybody  ????

 

 

How do you check to see how much the Reserve you turned on "paid"?

 

You take it on faith?    How do you get a feel for what good they are? 



Roggg2 #45 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 14:22

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • 1,444
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015

View Postda_Rock002, on Feb 02 2017 - 19:48, said:

Anybody  ????

 

 

How do you check to see how much the Reserve you turned on "paid"?

 

You take it on faith?    How do you get a feel for what good they are? 

 

XVM with the right configuration tells you how much crew xp your crew got.  I dont recall if it breaks it down in the details or not.  Without a mod, the only thing I can think of is make a note of how much a particular crew member needs for the next percentage before and after the battle, and take the difference as the total amount awarded.  It should be more than the xp awarded.

That's all for crew xp reserves.  The others are shown in the detail tab of the results.



Iron_Soul_Stealer #46 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 23:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 2907 battles
  • 8,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostSergeant_Buzzkill, on Feb 02 2017 - 18:57, said:

Hey ISS!

 

It appears you've gotten the basic rundown of how PRs work so I'll share with you how I utilize mine.

 

Additional XP: This one is most useful for grinding up a line, whether you're trying to upgrade a module ASAP or just get through a tank and onto the next one in the line.  If you activate one and then play a tank that's fully researched with accelerated crew training on, you're wasting it.

 

Additional Crew XP: When I'm grinding up a line, I typically move one crew up thru each tank as I go.  IOW, when I unlock a tank and purchase it, I buy it without a crew and move the same crew into it by retraining with credits (I avoid spending gold for something so minor).  Then I fire up this PR and grind away.  I will use a premium tank if I have one to get maximum XP earnings.

 

Additional Free XP: These are gold to me because the Free XP you earn normally is fairly small so anything you can use to boost that is seriously useful.  It seems there are always one or two tanks in a line that just suck, Free XP helps you get past those heaps of junk or to get to the top module faster.  Stock sucks.

 

Additional Credits: I believe this is the least common PR of the four.  If I'm grinding credits with premiums, then I fire it up, otherwise I stockpile until the time comes.

 

One caveat to all of these is that they have the most value when you're playing well and winning.  If you're playing poorly or struggling, the dividend may not be apparent.  As is often the case, you may fire up a PR and suddenly you seem to get horrid MM or trolled by RNG.

 

Hope this helps.

Hey Dude, long time no see. Where you been hiding..? :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for those tips. That was a very nice breakdown of the four major categories of Personal Reserves. You were very clear and comprehensive with your explanations, and it was easy to understand. Thanks for sharing that. And I agree, stock sucks. My t34-85 can certainly vouch for that. Forget about the gun, I don't even have the last engine yet.

 

View Postda_Rock002, on Feb 02 2017 - 19:48, said:

Anybody  ????

 

 

How do you check to see how much the Reserve you turned on "paid"?

 

You take it on faith?    How do you get a feel for what good they are? 

 

Yes. I'd still like to know this, as well. Anyone..?

 

View PostRoggg2, on Feb 03 2017 - 08:22, said:

 

XVM with the right configuration tells you how much crew xp your crew got.  I dont recall if it breaks it down in the details or not.  Without a mod, the only thing I can think of is make a note of how much a particular crew member needs for the next percentage before and after the battle, and take the difference as the total amount awarded.  It should be more than the xp awarded.

That's all for crew xp reserves.  The others are shown in the detail tab of the results.

 

What if a player doesn't use XVM..? I use only a vanilla client. How do I see the results then...without trying to benchmark XP and then going retro to find the difference..? There must be an easier way to see this...

 

*Oh, and I looked at the details tab, after the battle, and I still can't see the PR bonus details on there. Are you sure it's there..? Like I said, I didn't see the breakdown, only the grand totals. Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

 

 



dunniteowl #47 Posted Feb 04 2017 - 06:10

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 18506 battles
  • 2,596
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

I never could tell when I used a PR either, by direct observation.  I did do as Rogg2 suggests, opening my Crew Member tab for how many estimated battles for the next percentage increase (I do this already to gauge which unit I may decide to grind before I click a PR in the first place) and at the point where I asked the same question as OP, "How do I know how much that translates into in what I'm seeing on the battle results?"  I noticed when I had something like an estimated 36 battles for the next increase and I did well, without PRs active, I'd usually see the next one toss out and estimate of something like 33 or 34, depending on how well I did.  With a PR active under similar circumstances I had one that started with an estimated 53 battles and I did very well.  The next time I checked the tab that showed that estimate, it showed only 47 battles.

 

In your garage, with your tank selected, right click a crewmember and bring up their Personal File.  The default page that opens shows that crew member's Service Record.


 

It has three sections:

Awards

Combat Experience

Training


 

Under Training is where you will see the information Rogg2 referred to earlier and which I elaborated upon.  You can tell things are different, though there is no direct result.  If you have a 100% booster, figure that what you're seeing awarded is double what you would have been otherwise.  If you're using a 200% booster, then it would be triple what you would have had without them.  In a reverse sense, if you were using a 100% booster, what you get during that should be half you and half booster.  If you're using a 200% booster, what you'd be seeing should be 1/3 you and 2/3 booster.  I can't verify this with hard numbers, though I can say there is a definite difference when I use personal reserves versus not.  Even when I'm not doing that well all of a sudden, I'm still seeing my crew or vehicle XP move a good deal faster on the whole based on checking the "estimated battles" portion on my Service Record, Training section before and after battles to see how much of a difference I was making.


 

Best I can offer.


 

GL, HF & HSYBF



Iron_Soul_Stealer #48 Posted Feb 14 2017 - 04:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 2907 battles
  • 8,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postdunniteowl, on Feb 04 2017 - 00:10, said:

I never could tell when I used a PR either, by direct observation.  I did do as Rogg2 suggests, opening my Crew Member tab for how many estimated battles for the next percentage increase (I do this already to gauge which unit I may decide to grind before I click a PR in the first place) and at the point where I asked the same question as OP, "How do I know how much that translates into in what I'm seeing on the battle results?"  I noticed when I had something like an estimated 36 battles for the next increase and I did well, without PRs active, I'd usually see the next one toss out and estimate of something like 33 or 34, depending on how well I did.  With a PR active under similar circumstances I had one that started with an estimated 53 battles and I did very well.  The next time I checked the tab that showed that estimate, it showed only 47 battles.

 

In your garage, with your tank selected, right click a crewmember and bring up their Personal File.  The default page that opens shows that crew member's Service Record.


 

It has three sections:

Awards

Combat Experience

Training


 

Under Training is where you will see the information Rogg2 referred to earlier and which I elaborated upon.  You can tell things are different, though there is no direct result.  If you have a 100% booster, figure that what you're seeing awarded is double what you would have been otherwise.  If you're using a 200% booster, then it would be triple what you would have had without them.  In a reverse sense, if you were using a 100% booster, what you get during that should be half you and half booster.  If you're using a 200% booster, what you'd be seeing should be 1/3 you and 2/3 booster.  I can't verify this with hard numbers, though I can say there is a definite difference when I use personal reserves versus not.  Even when I'm not doing that well all of a sudden, I'm still seeing my crew or vehicle XP move a good deal faster on the whole based on checking the "estimated battles" portion on my Service Record, Training section before and after battles to see how much of a difference I was making.


 

Best I can offer.


 

GL, HF & HSYBF

 

I will try looking at that.

But as I was saying, there must be an easier way to figure this out. It would seem fair for players to see our activated and applied PR bonuses without going back and setting benchmarks and/or trying to find the difference of estimated battles for the next skill etc. I looked again, recently, and I didn't see anything regarding Personal Reserves in the details tab after each battle. I guess there isn't anything there..? Or, it just gives us the grand totals after taxes..? No breakdown..?

 

 

 

 

 

 



11C2Papa #49 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 02:30

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 754 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    12-11-2013

View PostSheWasOnlyXVII, on Jan 23 2017 - 20:17, said:

There is no "best" way to utilize personal reserves. Just use the 200% ones on higher tiers and 100% for lower tiers. And obviously use credit personal reserves ONLY when you play premium vehicles.

 

By the way, personal reserves don't work in Strongholds/Team battles and if a reserve has a minute left but you join a match in that last minute then the reserve still works. Just some tips

 

I mean use them as you wish. Just make sure you get the full time value out of them. 

 

​Best user name ever

da_Rock002 #50 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 10:49

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016

For you guys who are using the Player Personal [sic] File numbers to prove things.....

 

 

I wasted some time trying that when I was coming down to the wire on a crews skills that seemed to be taking forever.     Then it dawned on me.    WG slows down that process toward 100%.    And really slows it down for skills beyond the first.


 

It will be much easier to see those numbers change if you do your test with a brand new, 100% trained crew.   It's easier to see the bigger jumps in percentage.    Keep in mind of course, each jump gets smaller the closer to 100%.     


Edited by da_Rock002, Apr 10 2017 - 18:17.


da_Rock002 #51 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 10:54

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016
BTW, keep in mind the best tanks to grind when you've got a Reserve running is one with a brand new crew.    Ironic, right?    The time you most often think about using them is when a crew is coming down to the wire on a skill you really want.     WG really knows how to play a fish on the line, and how to hook 'em.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #52 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 02:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 2907 battles
  • 8,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postda_Rock002, on Mar 26 2017 - 04:54, said:

BTW, keep in mind the best tanks to grind when you've got a Reserve running is one with a brand new crew.    Ironic, right?    The time you most often think about using them is when a crew is coming down to the wire on a skill you really want.     WG really knows how to play a fish on the line, and how to hook 'em.

 

^..Interesting analogy.

Are you saying that WG is "trolling" us..?

 

On that note...

When I was a young person, what we used to call "trolling" was actually cruising along slowly in a small motorboat with our fishing line in the water. There was also usually a three prong hook attached to something 'shiny'. Strangely, that term "trolling" has evolved into an entirely different meaning now. Or has it..? 

 

View Postda_Rock002, on Mar 26 2017 - 04:49, said:

For you guys who are using the Player Personel [sic] File numbers to prove things.....

 

 

I wasted some time trying that when I was coming down to the wire on a crews skills that seemed to be taking forever.     Then it dawned on me.    WG slows down that process toward 100%.    And really slows it down for skills beyond the first. 


 

It will be much easier to see those numbers change if you do your test with a brand new, 100% trained crew.   It's easier to see the bigger jumps in percentage.    Keep in mind of course, each jump gets smaller the closer to 100%.      

 

Honestly, I'm starting to give up on the idea of ever getting any active crews skills/perks, because it just seems like an endless and fruitless struggle. I keep trying my hardest in battle, but I still don't see any real progression and/or advancement...and I still do not have a single active crew skill yet. Not even one. And I'm not even close. This futile struggle is just reinforced when I can't even seem to win a single battle. So, no x5's....no wins....no advancement...no nothing. 

 

 

 



Da_Craw #53 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 20:48

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21954 battles
  • 2,036
  • [DOG5] DOG5
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014

View Postda_Rock002, on Mar 26 2017 - 03:54, said:

BTW, keep in mind the best tanks to grind when you've got a Reserve running is one with a brand new crew.    Ironic, right?    The time you most often think about using them is when a crew is coming down to the wire on a skill you really want.     WG really knows how to play a fish on the line, and how to hook 'em.

 

Not (necessarily) true.  The XP bonus is not dependent on where you are in the grind.  It is going to give you the same bonus at the beginning of a grind as at the end.  For example, if you are running a crew xp reserve for 100% extra and you earn 1000xp in that battle, you get an extra 1000 xp for a 2000xp total.  Granted, the early percentage points of a skill cost fewer xp than the last percentage points, but it is still an extra 1000 however you slice it.

da_Rock002 #54 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 21:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016

View PostDa_Craw, on Apr 10 2017 - 14:48, said:

 

Not (necessarily) true.  The XP bonus is not dependent on where you are in the grind.  It is going to give you the same bonus at the beginning of a grind as at the end.  For example, if you are running a crew xp reserve for 100% extra and you earn 1000xp in that battle, you get an extra 1000 xp for a 2000xp total.  Granted, the early percentage points of a skill cost fewer xp than the last percentage points, but it is still an extra 1000 however you slice it.

 

 

It's going to move the skill percentage much more to begin with.   It's going to move the skill percentage AT A SNAILS PACE at the end. 


 

That's really pretty simple.


 

When it sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwssssssssssssss  down at the end, what do most humans do?    They consider doing something that speeds it up.  Many of them take the bait, don't they.



Peak_Bagger #55 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 23:02

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 9397 battles
  • 381
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
  • Member since:
    03-16-2017
Lots of great questions and answers here! One question that arises for me is the use of premium ammo. I've been using premium ammo for the first win in my tier IV, V and VI tanks each day to maximize the X2 or X5 experience gained. The downside is that I lose lots of credits for the first 45-60 minutes each day. Do you folks use premium ammo when using personal reserves?

da_Rock002 #56 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 23:37

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Apr 10 2017 - 17:02, said:

Lots of great questions and answers here! One question that arises for me is the use of premium ammo. I've been using premium ammo for the first win in my tier IV, V and VI tanks each day to maximize the X2 or X5 experience gained. The downside is that I lose lots of credits for the first 45-60 minutes each day. Do you folks use premium ammo when using personal reserves?

 

It's not simple.     Loading premium ammo just because you think it'll insure better results can waste it.  It doesn't give better results simply because it's more expensive.   Think about what it can do for you.   It can pen when standard won't.   Not when standard can't, but when it won't.   It's worth using when it is needed and a waste when it's not needed.     Your description of it's use suggests you load it first thing.    Have you looked at the enemy lineup to see how many tanks of theirs won't be penned by your standard ammo?     Have you looked at the map to see whether or not you'll probably run into those tanks?

 

Are you presently loading premium during battle and changing back to regular when it's no longer needed?     Are you not using premium most battles to save credits? 


 

The only way you 'lose credits' is by blindly loading up premium and letting it rip.    Don't do that.


 

 



Peak_Bagger #57 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 01:46

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 9397 battles
  • 381
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
  • Member since:
    03-16-2017
Yes indeed, da_Rock, that's what I've been doing. Loading up premium rounds to start the battle until I get the first win of the day in a tank. I seem to have no problem building up credits, but experience takes much longer. And I figured even if I didn't need the premium rounds, it would still do more damage, increasing the battle experience for the multiplier. After the first win, I rarely use premium ammo, if at all. I take it I should be more judicious?

Iron_Soul_Stealer #58 Posted Apr 15 2017 - 00:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 2907 battles
  • 8,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postda_Rock002, on Apr 10 2017 - 15:43, said:

 

It's going to move the skill percentage much more to begin with.   It's going to move the skill percentage AT A SNAILS PACE at the end. 

 

That's really pretty simple.

 

When it sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwssssssssssssss  down at the end, what do most humans do?    They consider doing something that speeds it up.  Many of them take the bait, don't they.

 

I don't get it..? What is the bait..? ...:amazed:

 

 



Roggg2 #59 Posted Apr 17 2017 - 18:27

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • 1,444
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015

View Postda_Rock002, on Apr 10 2017 - 15:43, said:

 

 

It's going to move the skill percentage much more to begin with.   It's going to move the skill percentage AT A SNAILS PACE at the end. 

 

 

Yes...it's non-linear.

 



da_Rock002 #60 Posted Apr 17 2017 - 18:46

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 5217 battles
  • 1,837
  • Member since:
    11-24-2016
And the snail's pace is going to drive some people to BUY the last percentages with free experience.   ('free experience' ...  what a cute name)




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users