Chrome Effect?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zulu__Dawn #1 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 21:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37214 battles

Been playing around with GIMP and I have attempted to make my "wheels" on my crusader chrome.

QUESTION:

1.  Would it be safe to say that a chrome effect is just a combination of using black and white and then varying the shades of gray in between?

PROCESS:

What i have done is this.  I took the chassis .dds file with all the wheels on it, made a "copy layer" and for each wheel section I desaturated the area using the "CIRCLE" tool to constrain the desaturation to just the circle pattern of the wheel.  I then adjusted the Brightness and Contrast to make it blacker and whiter.  Then I used the TEXTURE tool and added like a chrome effect and told it to be asymmetrical and some wheels symmetrical.

I mean it looks pretty cool...I think maybe I need to go into the .GMM map and make these areas "SHINIER" by making the area of the wheels more yellow to get the black, gray, and white to shine.  It is sort of 1/2 way between chrome and black/white.  I know to look for the black and white...but maybe a person looking at it brand new would say...hey cool chrome wheels.  I think if I PUMP up the shine...that maybe they would look MORE chrome.

Did I do this right?   I will post pictures later tonight.

Zulu

Skybird0 #2 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 22:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21555 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Hmm... not an expert but I think there is also a lightmap? or some other mask that deals with reflected light...  Would love to be set straight on the subject, this is cool.

GSOR3301_AVR_FS #3 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 22:46

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 503 battles

View PostZulu__Dawn, on Jan 23 2017 - 21:55, said:

I mean it looks pretty cool...I think maybe I need to go into the .GMM map and make these areas "SHINIER" by making the area of the wheels more yellow to get the black, gray, and white to shine.  It is sort of 1/2 way between chrome and black/white.  I know to look for the black and white...but maybe a person looking at it brand new would say...hey cool chrome wheels.  I think if I PUMP up the shine...that maybe they would look MORE chrome.

Did I do this right?   I will post pictures later tonight.

I'm going to say yes, assuming I understood you correctly and didn't mistake anything because of how tired I am. Just as an example, this is what happens when you basically make the GMM Full yellow across the whole tank (ignoring a few minor details, such as that I'd reskinned the tank a light grey as well). :P

Zulu__Dawn #4 Posted Jan 23 2017 - 23:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37214 battles

WOW...that is soooo cool

So yeah I did it right...I will post my pics tonight "after" I mark up my .GMM file with a lot more yellow...I did it once already...but it was a muted yellow and not full on bright.

Wow so cool...

Talking about the .gmm file, is there a way to get into the Red, Green, and Yellow files in the "channels section.  I don't have a channels editor...at least I don't think GIMP can edit channels from what I have read.  I know you can change the roughness, metalness and shine in these channels.

Zulu

Zulu__Dawn #5 Posted Jan 25 2017 - 18:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37214 battles

Ok.  here is my effort to make the wheels chrome.  I think I nailed it!!!  Wooohoooo

Spoiler

Zulu

JLdragon #6 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19006 battles
I would loooove to know how you got the chrome effect on the chassis rims.. I am currently working on a FULL recolor of the E50M and best I have achieved is a stainless spun steel look.. it looks nice but I WOULD LOOOVE to have that look instead with mine..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users