9.17.1 Centurion changes.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Slatherer #21 Posted Feb 04 2017 - 23:52

Captain

• Players
  • 23928 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 04 2017 - 00:44, said:

So something that requires knowledge is either something that you need to be skilled at, or its something that is just bad? That last part makes no sense. Requiring knowledge is a good thing, it doesnt make a thing bad.

The Centurions are high skill floor tanks, that require thought to play. They require you to actually learn about your tank. Other lines outshine them as pure medium tanks, sure, because the Centurions arent pure medium tanks. Also the speed "buff" doesnt actually change that. Other lines will STILL outshine the Centurions as pure mediums in 9.17.1. The tanks arent being changed in a meaningful way.

Heres what will happen though, if these speed buffs go through:

Players will play their Centurions like pure medium tanks using their new "speed" to try and flank other tanks or wolfpack with other mediums. They'll put their tank into a bad position and then they wont be able to get out of it, because they wont have the DPM and they wont have the armor and they'll be as big as a barn. They'll die, and then they'll come to the forums and whine the the tank is still bad, despite them having put themselves in a bad position, in a tank that never should have been in the position in the first place. And then people will complain that the 50kph top speed is either too slow or that the tank needs a better power to weight or better terrain resistances, when all the tank needed from the get go was better DPM and better gun handling. And we'll be right back here in another year and a half having this same conversation, because buffing the speed of the Centurions/4202 isnt how you fix the Centurions/4202.

Talking about two kinds of tanks.   

Good tanks that have high skill floors that average to bad players won't be able to be effective in.

Bad tanks that are just bad.  

You say the centurions are good, but have high skill floors.  That may all well be true.  You are a better player than me.  I did "OK" in them, but suffered from another issue... a lack of roles being filled on the front line.  Unless I'm wrong, Centurions are support tanks (the CAX may be something more, but I'm not focusing on tier 10, just the 8 and 9).  Support tanks in the average pub arena suffer when the front line tanks aren't filling the role of front line tanks.  This has happened so many times to me that I just try not to play support tanks as much.  

I totally agree with speed buffs, the new Centurions will rush out and suffer even more because they are closer, but still don't have much armor, comparably less dpm (7/1) and/or alpha (Cent 1) AND they are big as barns.  So yeah.  This buff may actually hurt the line even more, at least on how they are handled.  

Avalon304 #22 Posted Feb 05 2017 - 23:56

Major

• Players
  • 14114 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSlatherer, on Feb 04 2017 - 14:52, said:

Talking about two kinds of tanks.   

Good tanks that have high skill floors that average to bad players won't be able to be effective in.

Bad tanks that are just bad.  

You say the centurions are good, but have high skill floors.  That may all well be true.  You are a better player than me.  I did "OK" in them, but suffered from another issue... a lack of roles being filled on the front line.  Unless I'm wrong, Centurions are support tanks (the CAX may be something more, but I'm not focusing on tier 10, just the 8 and 9).  Support tanks in the average pub arena suffer when the front line tanks aren't filling the role of front line tanks.  This has happened so many times to me that I just try not to play support tanks as much.  

I totally agree with speed buffs, the new Centurions will rush out and suffer even more because they are closer, but still don't have much armor, comparably less dpm (7/1) and/or alpha (Cent 1) AND they are big as barns.  So yeah.  This buff may actually hurt the line even more, at least on how they are handled.  

Centurions are indeed 2nd line support tanks. They can, in a pinch, perform frontline roles, but they are unsuited to it. I do on occasion have to front line in my 7/1, but its almost always after crap has hit the fan.

Yes. Support tanks in pub arenas suffer when you either have terrible players in your front line tanks, or have no frontline tanks to begin with. But you know what... thats ok. Not every tanks need to be a flexible tank. Not every tank needs to fit the meta perfectly. There are plenty of other mediums at tier 8 and 9 that can do front line roles better and that can flex better and fit the meta more perfectly. Homoginizing the Centurions because bad players dont know how to use their tank helps nothing... especially when the change does nothing for the tank.

The DPM buff that the Centurion Mk. 1 is getting next patch is nice. When I played it on the test server I could feel the difference. Feels good now. (Its a shame the FV4202 isnt also getting it). The Mk. 7/1/s DPM buff is irrelevant. If they gave the Mk. 7/1 DPM comparable to the Type 61 (the closest analogue to the Mk. 7/1) then it would be a relevant buff. The 3 speed buffs are only going to serve to hurt the 3 tanks more in the long run than it will help them. I really hope WG removes the speed buffs and gives the Centurions AND 4202 some gun handling buffs (STA-2 and Type 61 levels respectively) and gives the 4202 the DPM buff as well.

Id also like WG to fix the 4202's 3D model... because that thing is so wrong...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users