• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

SpectreHD #81 Posted Feb 07 2017 - 06:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16844 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostStriker_70, on Feb 07 2017 - 09:00, said:

Probably not, it seems that most everyone besides WOT players liked them.  That probably means the ads were effective.  Remember, they weren't targeting WOT players in the first place.  It would have been a gigantic waste of money to have Super Bowl ads that target customers they already have.

Yeah, these ads don't appeal to WoT players because they know what the game is like. Effective? Debatable. They certainly were amusing but that level of awesomeness is nowhere to be seen when they join up and get screwed over by the wonderful lower tier balance.

View PostHA3, on Feb 07 2017 - 09:56, said:

It seems the owners of Wargaming want to increase their penetration in the US market. US servers rarely have more than 20K players compared with EU servers which have 200K or more.

The recent series of Friday videos with the two guys trying to get more players were pretty sad and apparently ineffective.

SuperBowl ads are really expensive of course. But I predict the result of these ads will be nothing more than a short-lived crop of disenchanted noobs.

WHY? American's aren't as clueless as they hoped. We know when we are not being treated fairly and have no need to put up with nonsense. We understand what "play for free" means. This is the land of the free, after all.

In America, freedom is inextricably linked with equality.

Every new WOT player quickly learns that in WOT, free is free, but NOT EQUAL. I guess that is OK in Russia, but not here. Not by a long shot.

US gamers have so many options, they won't put up with a game hopelessly biased against the average Joe and completely biased in favor of premium accounts. After the initial coolness of the game subsides we get a bad taste in our mouths as soon as we realize what is going on.

Without a premium account or spending cash, you are at an incredible disadvantage:

- you can't get many of the best tanks

- time required for training crews almost guarantees that you will have a losing record on every new vehicle

- repairs cost way more on non-premium vehicles, so you constantly have to play low tier vehicles just to get credits so you can play in tiers VIII to X

- the best ammo requires gold, or lots of credits

- the premium account guys with same skills you have post much higher win rates

- and on and on

It's like you have one hand tied behind your back from day one. You want me to pay $50 or more for an IMAGINARY tank? Don't hold your breath.

My prediction is that the US market will continue to reject this false freedom - free but not equal.

Exactly. WG doesn't know the Western audience specifically the NA audience. That is why the playerbase is low and the server have horrible player retention especially at the low tiers.

WolfAttack_1 #82 Posted Feb 07 2017 - 18:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 43888 battles
  • [-RS-] -RS-

View PostBananaCannon, on Feb 04 2017 - 19:09, said:

They actually did that already some time ago, where they paid gold to the treasury if you made a recruitment video involving some game footage, and rewards to whichever the best voted one was. I don't think they got very many entries though regretfully, since most of the clans capable of that already had them and not a lot of people have video editing experience.

As for the ad quality I find these ads stupid and abnoxious.  I get that it's supposed to be viral and just get people to check it out.Teenage males are probably the main audience here but I don't think that directly translates to abnoxious machismo. It doesn't feel like the game I want to play with my friends, or to make friends with the ones playing. That is where user retention comes from - getting people to play it with people they like to hang out with, not "TANKS HELL YEAH".

You'd be better off getting promo invite codes for people for credits and a low tier premium, if they invite other people or something, and mentioning it in the ad. Would people abuse it, yeah probably. Most people don't want to play those new accounts though, because the barrier to entry in this game is so high. You need to make the invite codes richer and reduce the low tier grind to help people get into the game faster. That's the biggest problem here not exposure. You'd get way more out of the boon to actual people registering, with friends that might stick around or help encourage them to hang out.

​Sadly, the WOT ads were among the best of the commercial line.  I mean my God those SuperBowl ads were lame.

Kreydis #83 Posted Feb 07 2017 - 18:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 10033 battles

View PostJaspo, on Feb 05 2017 - 17:23, said:

Wait, PC gamers watch TV? TV watchers own gaming PCs? 

Your point still stands, just mentioning that they do have a console version... god help those poor souls.

bockscar43 #84 Posted Feb 07 2017 - 19:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31883 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
The question that should be asked. has the applications into Wots increased since Wots the commercials have aired at the Supper Bowl. Then we the base will know whether the huge out lay of money was worth it, or money should have been spent on development?

OLDIRTYBOMBER #85 Posted Feb 07 2017 - 20:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11311 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY
So was there a code giveaway or was watching the "surprise" after already seeing every ad posted on utube?

Fodder_2016 #86 Posted Feb 08 2017 - 19:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12279 battles

View Postbockscar43, on Feb 07 2017 - 19:54, said:

The question that should be asked. has the applications into Wots increased since Wots the commercials have aired at the Supper Bowl. Then we the base will know whether the huge out lay of money was worth it, or money should have been spent on development?

Do you honestly believe they will tell the player-base that kind of information?  You're just going to have to watch the server population or find some third party that tracks it already.

Also, what the hell is the Supper Bowl?  Did the Chefs play in it?

Bavor #87 Posted Feb 08 2017 - 23:32

Major

• Players
  • 33935 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

How effective do the commercials have to be to see a return on their investment?  Some older data says that the average spent per month by a World of Tanks player on the NA server is just under $17.  How many players would Wargaming need to retain at $17/month to get a return on its investment?  

Lets say that the average player still spends $17/month on the game.  Over the course of 1 year, that's $17x12 = $204.  If Wargaming spend $10,000,00.00 on its 4 Superbowl commercials(Based on the $5,000,000 per 30 seconds of advertising time rate that was well published), then we can calculate a return on its investment.  Wargaming would need a little over 49,000 new, active long term players spending an average of $17/month on the NA server to see a return on its investment in 1 year.  Wargaming would need a little over 24,500 new, active long term players spending an average of $17/month on the NA server to see a return on its investment in 2 years. 

Currently there are about 200,000 active players on the NA servers based on the unique player IDs collected by the player stats web sites.  That means Wargaming will need to see a 12% to 25% increase in active players that are retained for a long time for the Superbowl commercials to be worth the investment.  Looking at the 1 week, 2 week, and 1 month trends, I have yet to see any increase in new active players on the NA server since the Superbowl based on the data at:
https://stats.wotapi...ts/wot/na/total

bockscar43 #88 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 06:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31883 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
Bavor you have my vote, now only if Wots devs would take that to heart.

bockscar43 #89 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 23:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31883 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR

Block Quote

View PostFodder_2016, on Feb 08 2017 - 19:16, said:

Do you honestly believe they will tell the player-base that kind of information?  You're just going to have to watch the server population or find some third party that tracks it already.

Also, what the hell is the Supper Bowl?  Did the Chefs play in it?

Sorry bout that...Superbowl all better and thanks for pointing that out....

Edited by bockscar43, Feb 09 2017 - 23:40.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users