Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
43170 replies to this topic

PrimarchRogalDorn #42701 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 02:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 18 2020 - 14:29, said:

Peoples politics are never a smooth, formless mass.  Everyone decides where and when they think freedom from and freedom to supersede one another for themselves and that answer might be different based on the issue.

As an aside on the gun issue there is a non-zero portion of the Marxist left that isn't in favor of gun control either.  There's some Marx quote about workers needing to be armed, or their rights to be armed not being infringed and needing to be protected by force if necessary or something along those lines.  So 2A people might have more allies left of center than they think they do.

Block Quote

Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.
-Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, Address of the Central Committee to the Communist League, March 1850

FrozenKemp #42702 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 04:15

Major

• Players
  • 55440 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 18 2020 - 18:47, said:

That's always "fun" isn't it?

It's pretty irritating, yeah. 

How to do it right (IMO): one book (The Cloud Roads, Martha Wells) I really like has an end part of the novel in which the main character and some others are kidnapped and it ends with them escaping/getting rescued, and that sort of wraps things up.  So in the sequel it picks up with the whole group of characters need to go on a long trip has to find a new place to live.  But the first book was actually published as a standalone, then did well enough for the publisher to request two more books. 

By contrast this other novel I recently read (For The Killing Of Kings, Howard Andrew Jones), there's a treacherous queen up to shenanigans and also an invasion by evil, and the book ends with the invasion defeated, but the queen is still in command.  It also doesn't say anywhere on it that it's part of a trilogy, so it seems like maybe the author had the same deal as in the first case.

But if no sequel had ever been published to The Cloud Roads it would be a satisfying read.  Not true with the second one. 

Cruiser_Katori #42703 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 05:33

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostZergling, on Jan 17 2020 - 20:36, said:

Whelp, completed my move to new house. Finally I can relax a bit!

I would say congratulations, except IIRC it was under less-than-pleasant circumstances. As such, I will wish you well instead, and hope that things are a bit less Interesting (and fiery) from here on out.

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 18 2020 - 10:29, said:

Peoples politics are never a smooth, formless mass.  Everyone decides where and when they think freedom from and freedom to supersede one another for themselves and that answer might be different based on the issue.

As an aside on the gun issue there is a non-zero portion of the Marxist left that isn't in favor of gun control either.  There's some Marx quote about workers needing to be armed, or their rights to be armed not being infringed and needing to be protected by force if necessary or something along those lines.  So 2A people might have more allies left of center than they think they do.

Problem is, the big Sides (Left and Right) want lots of Gov't/Theocratic interference and effectively (or sometimes literally) a Final Solution to all their problems, real or otherwise. They really are like two sides of a keyring, circling back to the EXACT same point, with much the same, terrible result. Basically THE ONLY thing keeping The Sides from winning is that EVERYONE is A) able to speak their minds and spread their ideas effectively, no matter how absurd they may be, and B) everyone is allowed to keep pretty much any and all arms of their choosing, assuming they have the means to do so. Note that in all honesty, everything in the CBRN category is not properly classified as "arms" as you really cannot effectively defend yourself with one (Unless you're on a spaceship, in which case nuke away); instead, they're more items of diplomacy, maintained by a group (a State, basically) to provide a means of deterrence and a diplomatic table item. Meanwhile, everything from Mausers and Maxims to MOABs and barrel bombs, by contrast, would be useful for defense of self and others (or *could* be used to defend one's lands from a raging horde, in the unlikely event you ever were in such an unreasonable and unfortunate situation in the case of the MOABs and barrel bombs).

Needless to say, Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, the Castros, Che Guevara, and all their modern ilk both foreign and domestic (including everyone from Clinton and Trump to Putin and Xi Jinping) are well aware of how problematic that is for getting people to stay in line, and thusly pull out all the stops to prevent both free communication and armament of the masses.

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 18 2020 - 14:12, said:

Mmk.  Magia Record, episode 3.  So far it's sticking pretty close to the source material.  The only gripe I currently have is that (spoilers)
Spoiler

For added fun, a certain girl showed up after the credits. So it appears that the show will stick closely enough to the source material to include the Mitakihara City girls from the original series. 

I can't help but wonder how many episodes this is planned for.  I can't really see them getting all the way through the story line in just 12 episodes.  Not without severely picking up the pace or starting to cut out large swaths of the story.  I mean, we're at episode 3 so far and we still haven't met 3 of the protagonists.

New episode up? Thanks for the reminder!

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 18 2020 - 14:52, said:

Gun control in the US was, at one point, grotesquely racist and classist.

If the 2A movement in the US could disentangle itself from the goofier and darker elements of the "right", they might get a lot of mileage out of making common cause with other civil liberties and civil rights causes.

Still is, to a good degree. Which racial and class groups often are concentrated in areas with lots of arms laws and restrictions, and in situations where a sound-suppressed machine pistol or FA capable SBS loaded with No.4 buck would be a very nice thing to have? Of course, *technically* things are a bit more egalitarian now: everybody except the well-heeled is equally screwed. The only remotely egalitarian weapons law has always been "...shall not be infringed.", and THAT will only be the case when basically everything has been repealed. Which is about as likely as pigs flying under their own power, thanks to the safety ninnies, authoritorian types, and other jack***es. The world has never BEEN safe, it never really will BE safe, and about the only thing you can do is follow the general rule of If They Are Not A Current Convict, They Are Free.

Honestly... If there were a right to life or safety, dying and getting hurt would not exist. Meanwhile, the right to free speech and to keep and BEAR the arms of your choosing are quite demonstrable by nature; basically all animals have some weapon or means of defense at their disposal, and for humans that is our brain, by extension, all the tools by which we devise our means. Likewise, although the right itself is unlimited (you should be able to cart a M134D down Main Street, and shout fire in a crowded theatre), it does NOT give you a right to be free of the consequences of your actions (your M134D will probably get you odd looks at least, and there had better either be an actual fire in the theatre, or you're one of the clowns on the stage pretending to be on fire). Simple, SIMPLE stuff, and yet thanks to decades of lawyers and dumb***es...

Spoiler

...Here we are now, with people all over the place boiling over and hankering for a decisive battle because they've just about had enough. Which so happens to also be the reason why splitting firearms rights advocacy from the Right is so damn difficult, even though the Right screws over defensive liberty almost as much as the Left: various groups on the Left, including Civil Rights groups like the ACLU, have been marginalizing and alienating firearms rights for so long that effectively the whole group has been pushed de-facto into the arms of the Insert Theocratic Group Here/Barely-Not-Authoritorian Right because it's the only damn corner left in the whole bloody room. And they KEEP PUSHING, just to "do some good", right alongside every damn nanny-state type on the Left (which, given that many of the "solutions" pushed by the Left and Right involve LOTS of Gov't/Theocratic interference, is most of the whole damn poxxed lot). And now EVERYONE is in a mess because of it. This is why "do some good" is one of the worst damn ideas ever... Let people f**k up, get hurt/die, and make both general society and the gene pool better for the loss; it seems to have worked for many thousands of years, so maybe we should try it again.

Tjtod #42704 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 15:26

Major

• Players
  • 6540 battles
Played Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, which is a cooperative deck builder, last night. It is quite good, we got through 2 of 7 games.

Mermaid_Witch #42705 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 17:17

Major

• Players
  • 13118 battles

View PostTjtod, on Jan 19 2020 - 09:26, said:

Played Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, which is a cooperative deck builder, last night. It is quite good, we got through 2 of 7 games.

Is it hard to win?  I was looking at getting that for my sister for her birthday, and quite a few reviewers said it was too easy to get a death spiral loss going.

Tjtod #42706 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 17:57

Major

• Players
  • 6540 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 19 2020 - 12:17, said:

Is it hard to win?  I was looking at getting that for my sister for her birthday, and quite a few reviewers said it was too easy to get a death spiral loss going.

We got through the first two games without losing and only 3 stuns. I hope to play more today, will let you know more if we do.

Edited by Tjtod, Jan 19 2020 - 17:58.

Cruiser_Katori #42707 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 23:23

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

My goodness, soul gems are quite lewd. Also, I have to say a certain jaded-looking someone reminds me of a certain timeline skipping devil girl; heck, she (and the gal she has a problem with) even kinda LOOK familiar, ya know? Completely different in other ways, though. Also, while it didn't turn out as I thought it would, not nearly so, I have a feeling a big ol' flag was just dropped, and someone shouldn't get ahead of herself.

-

Also been watching the one with Miss OP Shield/VIT build. If that were possible in IRL games, I would SOOOO make a tank build like that. I do love my Chally...

-

Watched the "reviewers" one again. Yet another good quote: "...Eat, sleep, and fornicate! That is the key to happiness!" Perhaps we should elect Orc Party 2020?

Edited by Cruiser_Katori, Jan 19 2020 - 23:49.

PrimarchRogalDorn #42708 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 02:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles
I finally received the Logitech G29 wheel I ordered a while back. Unfortunately my desk doesn't have enough of a lip to actually mount it there. Can confirm that using a force feedback wheel on your lap is not fun.

FrozenKemp #42709 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 03:33

Major

• Players
  • 55440 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
Oh damn :( that's disappointing.

PrimarchRogalDorn #42710 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 05:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jan 19 2020 - 21:33, said:

Oh damn :( that's disappointing.

Meh, it's ok. I should be getting a new desk sometime soon. My current one is barely large enough for my desktop as it is.

Cruiser_Katori #42711 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 05:31

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Jan 19 2020 - 19:07, said:

Meh, it's ok. I should be getting a new desk sometime soon. My current one is barely large enough for my desktop as it is.

Börk Cübe Täble with Börk Cübe Lämp, or something fancy schmancy?

PrimarchRogalDorn #42712 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 06:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 19 2020 - 23:31, said:

Börk Cübe Täble with Börk Cübe Lämp, or something fancy schmancy?

No idea.

Cruiser_Katori #42713 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 06:31

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

One thing my parents did that made a GREAT desk when I was younger (A LOT younger, over a decade and a half ago about EDIT: actually, over two decades ago, I think) was to take three mid-height wood file cabinets (the good, quality kind that you can stand on), a big sheet of laminate-covered thick ply, and some trim to cover the edges. MASSIVE honking table, everyone in the family had stood on it at one point or another, and the only thing needed to keep the top from moving was some small sections of wood screwed into the bottom next to the file cabinets to prevent slippy-slidey nonsense from wee morons playing on the thing. Withstood multiple earthquakes, several desktops, boxes of CDs, floppies, and random junk (boxes for DAAAYS), vomit (repeatedly), cat piss (repeatedly), reams of files and junk in the drawers, drawing, some of my youthful carving efforts. Heck, I think that's where I started to figure out my, ah, likes and dislikes while my folks were out... I did so much at that big f**king desk. 

Damnit, now I'm all sentimental about a darn DESK. And playing Civ III for HOURS on end; still remember the Greco-Roman March OST and the Ancient Age Europe (I think that's the one) OST. And not worrying about paying bloody BILLS left and right, or about taxes and Muckrosuck updates screwing up my machine, or much of anything really.

*Le Sad Sigh*

Edited by Cruiser_Katori, Jan 20 2020 - 06:32.

LordCommanderMilitant #42714 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 07:17

Major

• Players
  • 8597 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Jan 20 2020 - 04:07, said:

I have 2 desks. One is a folding table from Home Depot, one is a door that's turned on it's side and held up by a frame of 2x4's that we built for it.

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 17 2020 - 21:35, said:

Somehow I missed that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be first-person only, not third-person or even optional.  Oh well, I didn't need to get interested in another video game, this is probably for the best.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66427/cyberpunk-2077-work-third-person-cdpr/index.html

First-person is just motion sickness waiting to happen for me.  And I greatly prefer the broader perspective on what's going on around the character that third-person provides.  I don't want to be looking directly through the character's eyes, I want to see their feet and what's directly behind them.  First-person is supposedly more immersive, but it's not, it feels like experiencing the world through a tiny porthole -- the third-person view replaces information that a real person is getting through touch and hearing and such, that you don't get from a video game on a screen.

I prefer 3rd person to 1st person too. I get sick after playing for too long.

PrimarchRogalDorn #42715 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 08:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Jan 20 2020 - 01:17, said:

I have 2 desks. One is a folding table from Home Depot, one is a door that's turned on it's side and held up by a frame of 2x4's that we built for it.

I prefer 3rd person to 1st person too. I get sick after playing for too long.

Mine is one my dad nicked from college back in the 1980s, so it's just a bit small.

FrozenKemp #42716 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 55440 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
I have a 1990s Ikea dinosaur: gargantuan and ancient. It has a main desk space, two shelves that slide out an angle, a level for the monitor, and a level on top for a printer and paper. Plus a swinging side shelf that I don't have attached right now. Big metal legs. It's kind of overkill now (I used to have a scanner and a printer, but no longer have either) but I do put stuff on the extra shelves.

godofdun #42717 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 21:32

Major

• Players
  • 16037 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Happy MLK day, everyone:

Cruiser_Katori #42718 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 23:34

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Jan 19 2020 - 22:05, said:

Mine is one my dad nicked from college back in the 1980s, so it's just a bit small.

Is it one of those damn near indestructible ones made of some mystery super-duper strong particleboard-like substance covered in plastic laminate, with square steel tubing? The kind you can stand an entire cheer team AND the football team on in full gear without it budging an inch? Because we used to have a pair of those, long ago. My Börk Cübe Fürnätüre is decidedly flimsy by comparison...

Welp, seems the Richmond Rally managed to not turn into a proverbial Charge of the Light Brigade, against much of my expectations. Now, to watch the aftermath, though I doubt the totalitarians will get the message even WITH leftists lining up alongside rightists, antifa alongside christian right types; truly, they really do "remember everything and learn nothing".

KilljoyCutter #42719 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 01:06

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 20 2020 - 17:34, said:

Is it one of those damn near indestructible ones made of some mystery super-duper strong particleboard-like substance covered in plastic laminate, with square steel tubing? The kind you can stand an entire cheer team AND the football team on in full gear without it budging an inch? Because we used to have a pair of those, long ago. My Börk Cübe Fürnätüre is decidedly flimsy by comparison...

Welp, seems the Richmond Rally managed to not turn into a proverbial Charge of the Light Brigade, against much of my expectations. Now, to watch the aftermath, though I doubt the totalitarians will get the message even WITH leftists lining up alongside rightists, antifa alongside christian right types; truly, they really do "remember everything and learn nothing".

NPR interviewed some of the "but that can't be a gun rights nut!" people who were at the rally, including a woman and an African-American person.

I wonder if the "racist sexist bigoted old white rednecks" knew they were there.

:sceptic:

PrimarchRogalDorn #42720 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 04:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 20 2020 - 17:34, said:

Indeed it is.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 17 guests, 1 anonymous users

avenue94, Taiho