Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
35305 replies to this topic

BENtheawsomeTANK #31801 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:00

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5154 battles
  • 236
  • [ETAW] ETAW
  • Member since:
    05-20-2012

View PostTjtod, on Aug 08 2018 - 01:52, said:

 

easy, snowboarding.

 

how so? 

FrozenKemp #31802 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 49060 battles
  • 8,094
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 07 2018 - 19:53, said:

A segment of "the right" in America is certainly becoming more authoritarian. 

 

Another segment is willing to opportunistically take whatever advantage they can get, even at the cost of their supposed principles. 

 

Another segment is so disgusted with the empty and broken promises, and being ignored after election day by the establishment of both major parties, that they'd have voted for a turnip with with a little brush mustache.

 

And others look some of the most vocal/visible elements of the "American left" falling back on thinly-disguised bread-and-circuses handouts, demographic triumphalism, and its own brands of hypocrisy... and see no alternative to whoever is on the GOP ticket. 

 

And so on. 

 

People don't vote Republican for the same reason across the board any more than they vote Democrat for the same reason across the board. 

 

But to lump someone like George Will or this writer or even me in with Trump's enablers and sycophants is at best mistaken, and at worst utterly disingenuous.   At least from what I saw today, the very right-wing Washington Examiner is openly and sometimes bitterly critical of Trump on certain issues -- happened across several of their articles today, including one that amounted to "shut up about the Manafort trial, you idiots" directed at Trump and cronies, from a site that also has articles such as one decrying the (paraphrasing) "nosy-neighbor nanny-state obsession over kids left in cars for even 30 seconds". 

 

How BIG are each of those segments?

 

Actually... I don't really care.  If Republicans are still willing to along with Trump for any reason at all, I don't care.  Keep in mind, I'm Canadian, so take my opinion with a bucket of salt. 



FrozenKemp #31803 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 49060 battles
  • 8,094
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

Ok ummm trying to step away from politics, then :)

 

I just finished reading The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin which is an excellent conclusion to an excellent trilogy.  You know how an author can surprise you with an ending despite you realizing, only in retrospect, that there were clues there?   A very satisfying and excellent read.

 

I am probably going to focus on finishing The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1939-45.  It's an interesting - big - book because the different battalions of the regiment had different roles.  Some had only home defense and training roles so for the first time I got a bit of an idea about what that was like.  One battalion got annihilated in the desert, one fought in Italy, one in France and Germany.  The maps of actions are pretty small scale so there's an immediacy to those as well.



Tjtod #31804 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:28

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 1,733
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013

View PostBENtheawsomeTANK, on Aug 07 2018 - 22:00, said:

 

how so? 

 

its just a better way to get from the op of a snow covered mountain to the bottom.

stalkervision #31805 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 61640 battles
  • 8,966
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Aug 07 2018 - 20:17, said:

 

You laugh but a couple such articles recently crossed my feed, including one in The NY Times. That stuff scares me more than the mueller business because I actually can get convicted on stupid crap. I’m a European, we sometimes leave the stroller outside the shop on the footpath. My wife was a latchkey kid. I strongly suspect that we are going to be reported for child endangerment by the time the new one is 18.

 

we will start a go fund me page for your trial and later conviction. I will even volunteer to be a character witness! 

Starne #31806 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 03:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 7537 battles
  • 6,489
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 07 2018 - 19:53, said:

 

A segment of "the right" in America is certainly becoming more authoritarian. 

 

Another segment is willing to opportunistically take whatever advantage they can get, even at the cost of their supposed principles. 

 

Another segment is so disgusted with the empty and broken promises, and being ignored after election day by the establishment of both major parties, that they'd have voted for a turnip with with a little brush mustache.

 

And others look some of the most vocal/visible elements of the "American left" falling back on thinly-disguised bread-and-circuses handouts, demographic triumphalism, and its own brands of hypocrisy... and see no alternative to whoever is on the GOP ticket. 

 

And so on. 

 

People don't vote Republican for the same reason across the board any more than they vote Democrat for the same reason across the board. 

 

But to lump someone like George Will or this writer or even me in with Trump's enablers and sycophants is at best mistaken, and at worst utterly disingenuous.   At least from what I saw today, the very right-wing Washington Examiner is openly and sometimes bitterly critical of Trump on certain issues -- happened across several of their articles today, including one that amounted to "shut up about the Manafort trial, you idiots" directed at Trump and cronies, from a site that also has articles such as one decrying the (paraphrasing) "nosy-neighbor nanny-state obsession over kids left in cars for even 30 seconds". 

 

 

 

 

Political stuff spoiler'd for the sake of those that aren't interested.

 

Spoiler

 



stalkervision #31807 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 04:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 61640 battles
  • 8,966
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Aug 07 2018 - 20:17, said:

 

You laugh but a couple such articles recently crossed my feed, including one in The NY Times. That stuff scares me more than the mueller business because I actually can get convicted on stupid crap. I’m a European, we sometimes leave the stroller outside the shop on the footpath. My wife was a latchkey kid. I strongly suspect that we are going to be reported for child endangerment by the time the new one is 18.

 

What if you a Russian in the kitchen? European in the bathroom!

akh101 #31808 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 04:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 13172 battles
  • 3,445
  • [KURO] KURO
  • Member since:
    12-12-2011

In gaming news Fallout 76 won't be coming to steam on PC it be available only thought Bethesda.net Launcher

 

Some are theorizing or predicting that Zenimax/Bethesda are moving if not all there future titles to the launcher and not even release a steam version just to get that extra profift of not paying 30% cut to valve, for the "saver of single player games", they sure doing it in a shady way



BENtheawsomeTANK #31809 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 04:37

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5154 battles
  • 236
  • [ETAW] ETAW
  • Member since:
    05-20-2012

View PostTjtod, on Aug 08 2018 - 02:28, said:

 

its just a better way to get from the op of a snow covered mountain to the bottom.

 

hmmm the boots are extremely comfortable I’ll say that

Apache1990 #31810 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 04:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 34812 battles
  • 6,777
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View Postakh101, on Aug 07 2018 - 22:28, said:

In gaming news Fallout 76 won't be coming to steam on PC it be available only thought Bethesda.net Launcher

 

Some are theorizing or predicting that Zenimax/Bethesda are moving if not all there future titles to the launcher and not even release a steam version just to get that extra profift of not paying 30% cut to valve, for the "saver of single player games", they sure doing it in a shady way

 

I don't really consider it shady at all for a company to self-distribute their own product in order to make more money from it.  Annoying to have more launchers, but not evil.

akh101 #31811 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 05:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 13172 battles
  • 3,445
  • [KURO] KURO
  • Member since:
    12-12-2011

View PostApache1990, on Aug 07 2018 - 22:54, said:

 

I don't really consider it shady at all for a company to self-distribute their own product in order to make more money from it.  Annoying to have more launchers, but not evil.

 

for now not evil but form a mod standpoint it a way to shoved the payed mods platform if you 100% control it, and in a way screw over free mod base, and add more micro translation and other interesting thing to get more money out player base, it kinda slippery slope, but who knows, maybe they won't but i'll keep my reservation on that

KilljoyCutter #31812 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 05:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 25,630
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

What's good for the goose is good for the gerrymander -- https://www.washingt...e-gerrymander/  See also, Oregon. 

 

Are we against gerrymandering because it's anti-democratic, or because it's anti-Democractic

 

Yes, the GOP seems to have taken it to a new level, but if we're supposed to be angry at the GOP for doing it... why aren't we supposed to be angry at the other major party when they seize the opportunities to do the same thing? 

 

And while any sort of partisan messing about with the voting districts is assuredly bad pool... the standard claim that it cost the Democrats the House may or may not be true -- https://www.washingt...cans-the-house/ (from noted far-right rag, the Washington Post.../sarcasm) 

 

https://www.politico...bsession-215686 (again, notorious far-right rag, this time Politico...)

 

Of note is that there is a ballot proposal here in MI for November that would take redistricting out of the legislature's hands and put it in the hands of an independent, nonpartisan commission.  

 

So, you know, if one party wants to end gerrymandering, they need to get out and A) do the ballot proposal thing in states where it can be done, and B) do the hard work of winning local and state elections, instead of fixating on the grand dream of federal offices to make those big sweeping dreamy changes they dream about. 

 

 

 

 



The_Chieftain #31813 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 05:32

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 11450 battles
  • 9,818
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

Skiing. I don't find snowboarding remotely easy.



Apache1990 #31814 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 05:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 34812 battles
  • 6,777
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View Postakh101, on Aug 07 2018 - 23:09, said:

for now not evil but form a mod standpoint it a way to shoved the payed mods platform if you 100% control it, and in a way screw over free mod base, and add more micro translation and other interesting thing to get more money out player base, it kinda slippery slope, but who knows, maybe they won't but i'll keep my reservation on that

 

Fallout never supported Steam workshop mods in the first place though, it's always been Nexus Mods or manual install.  The game being installed through their own platform won't change that.

Avalon304 #31815 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 06:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 20258 battles
  • 8,664
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

If we ever needed evidence that Ajit Pai was scum:

 

https://arstechnica....administration/



Zergling #31816 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 08:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,264
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

I'm more annoyed that Fallout 76 won't have private servers on launch.

 

Bethesda are 'promising' to stop toxic griefers in public servers, but they clearly have no idea if they think griefers can be stopped.

 



Avalon304 #31817 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 08:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 20258 battles
  • 8,664
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostZergling, on Aug 08 2018 - 00:00, said:

I'm more annoyed that Fallout 76 won't have private servers on launch.

 

Bethesda are 'promising' to stop toxic griefers in public servers, but they clearly have no idea if they think griefers can be stopped.

 

 

I mean lets be fair... its a Bethesda game... buying it at launch probably isnt smart anyway...

FrozenKemp #31818 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 11:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 49060 battles
  • 8,094
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 07 2018 - 23:22, said:

What's good for the goose is good for the gerrymander -- https://www.washingt...e-gerrymander/  See also, Oregon. 

 

Are we against gerrymandering because it's anti-democratic, or because it's anti-Democractic

 

 

Nope, it's always bad. 

 

Rude question, though. 


Edited by FrozenKemp, Aug 08 2018 - 11:13.


DerViktim #31819 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 11:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 18294 battles
  • 6,680
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostApache1990, on Aug 07 2018 - 23:54, said:

 

Fallout never supported Steam workshop mods in the first place though, it's always been Nexus Mods or manual install.  The game being installed through their own platform won't change that.

 

I'm also sure that certain structural changes had to be made to allow mods to be published to consoles. That is why the Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 creation kits were distributed via a launcher (probably to keep them up to date) I'm guessing. Then you have the Creation Club content which I don't have a problem with. The quality of the few items I've purchased (for very little money truth be told) has been quite good. Like I've said before, I've been using the launcher for a while and Fallout 76 won't be the first game I've played through that launcher. If anything, I appreciate how light weight and unobtrusive it is compared to other launcher platforms.

Edited by DerViktim, Aug 08 2018 - 11:59.


Avalon304 #31820 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 12:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 20258 battles
  • 8,664
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostApache1990, on Aug 07 2018 - 21:54, said:

 

Fallout never supported Steam workshop mods in the first place though, it's always been Nexus Mods or manual install.  The game being installed through their own platform won't change that.

 

Fallout never did... but Skyrim does. Im honestly surprised Fallout hasnt been updated to support the Steam Workshop.




63 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users


    SpectreHD, ChairmanMilo, DerViktim