Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
36104 replies to this topic

KilljoyCutter #35901 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 22:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 25,739
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Jan 10 2019 - 14:02, said:

 

C-Stoff (methanol and hydrazine mixed together) and T-Stoff (80% hydrogen peroxide) are positively mild compared to the horrors of N-Stoff, aka chlorine trifluoride. Not only is that highly toxic, it's such a good oxidizer that it can react with basically anything, such as:
wood
sand
asbestos
already burned material
concrete
test engineers
nearly every metal known to man
water (which it explodes upon touching)

 

It's also hypergollic with every known rocket fuel type and is so reactive that there is no ignition delay. It can be stored in regular metal containers made out of steel or aluminum, but the interior needs to be covered in fluorine to protect it from reactions. If the layer is scraped off and not allowed to reform, you've now got a metal-fluorine fire which is always fun* to deal with
*not actually fun

 

The Germans thought about using this as flamethrower fuel since not only did it produce vast amounts of flame, it also released poisonous gases. Due to the issues of actually storing the compound, even the Germans realized it was too dangerous and abandoned research on it.

 

 

I think we've talked about chlorine trifluoride here before. 


 

Didn't realize the Nazis had one of their special names for it.


 

I think this is the article that was linked before -- http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time


 


 


 



PrimarchRogalDorn #35902 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 22:56

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,567
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 10 2019 - 16:34, said:

 

 

I think we've talked about chlorine trifluoride here before. 


 

Didn't realize the Nazis had one of their special names for it.


 

I think this is the article that was linked before -- http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time


 


 


 

 

Ah, the "Things I Won't Work With" series. Good stuff right there

Avalon304 #35903 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 23:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 20778 battles
  • 8,867
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostTjtod, on Jan 10 2019 - 08:08, said:

 

What are they? Also congrats on the 8086K.

 

a Core i5 4690k, an ASUS Z97-E motherboard, 16GB of corsair RAM and an EVGA GTX 970. Its 4 year old stuff, but still working great, I just needed more cores for tasks other than gaming.

 

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jan 10 2019 - 08:31, said:

Ugh they'd probably just turn the T30 into a tier 8 premium instead of a 10.  I don't know how, just somehow.

 

That would be broken as [edited]... but hilarious to actually play.



Tjtod #35904 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 23:32

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 1,754
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013


DerViktim #35905 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 23:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 18294 battles
  • 6,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

Bungie dropped a massive news bomb today. Bungie is parting ways with Activision and Bungie will get the publishing rights to the Destiny IP.

 

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569



Shrike58 #35906 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 23:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 66883 battles
  • 8,448
  • [SG] SG
  • Member since:
    02-23-2013

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Jan 10 2019 - 14:02, said:

 

C-Stoff (methanol and hydrazine mixed together) and T-Stoff (80% hydrogen peroxide) are positively mild compared to the horrors of N-Stoff, aka chlorine trifluoride. Not only is that highly toxic, it's such a good oxidizer that it can react with basically anything, such as:
wood
sand
asbestos
already burned material
concrete
test engineers
nearly every metal known to man
water (which it explodes upon touching)

 

It's also hypergollic with every known rocket fuel type and is so reactive that there is no ignition delay. It can be stored in regular metal containers made out of steel or aluminum, but the interior needs to be covered in fluorine to protect it from reactions. If the layer is scraped off and not allowed to reform, you've now got a metal-fluorine fire which is always fun* to deal with
*not actually fun

 

The Germans thought about using this as flamethrower fuel since not only did it produce vast amounts of flame, it also released poisonous gases. Due to the issues of actually storing the compound, even the Germans realized it was too dangerous and abandoned research on it.

 

I can't find the citation right now but at least one German test pilot was melted in the cockpit in a hard landing when his space was flooded with these chemicals.

Dragon_Witch #35907 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 00:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 12122 battles
  • 13,126
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011
"Senator" Lindsey Graham has evidently decided that Trump should declare a national emergency to build the wall.

godofdun #35908 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 00:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 15232 battles
  • 5,440
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostDerViktim, on Jan 10 2019 - 15:38, said:

Bungie dropped a massive news bomb today. Bungie is parting ways with Activision and Bungie will get the publishing rights to the Destiny IP.

 

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

 

That's really good news IMO.

 

 

Good luck with that....

Dragon_Witch #35909 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 00:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 12122 battles
  • 13,126
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 10 2019 - 18:22, said:

Good luck with that....

 

He's not called "Teflon Don" for nothing. He'll walk out of this with his wall.  He'll probably even win a second term.  Even IF Mueller comes up with bulletproof evidence that Trump personally begged Putin to throw the election in his favor, Trump's lapdogs in the Senate will make sure he serves his full eight years as President.

Edited by Dragon_Witch, Jan 11 2019 - 00:34.


godofdun #35910 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 00:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 15232 battles
  • 5,440
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

https://mymodernmet.com/nasa-parker-solar-probe-corona-photo/?fbclid=IwAR0YwL6dRpl1ujD-WPR1A6a87JnoA6_J1Ikj3t6syZXmG9SMlVVrEOfXmno

 

Picture from inside the sun's corona.



Avalon304 #35911 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 02:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 20778 battles
  • 8,867
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012
Haha... modern WoT is adding the AMX-50...

Dragon_Witch #35912 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 03:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 12122 battles
  • 13,126
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 10 2019 - 20:06, said:

Haha... modern WoT is adding the AMX-50...

 

That hasn't died yet? 

Avalon304 #35913 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 03:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 20778 battles
  • 8,867
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostDragon_Witch, on Jan 10 2019 - 19:17, said:

 

That hasn't died yet? 

 

No... it is surprisingly resilient... though combining to one global server probably did help... at least a little bit...

 

EDIT: LOL! Just read on the reddit that the devs of the game will no longer go to their forums.... haha... to good.


Edited by Avalon304, Jan 11 2019 - 04:04.


FrozenKemp #35914 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 03:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 50012 battles
  • 8,371
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
Oh man... I have my copy of Can Openers, and The Chieftain's voice really shines through in his writing.  Very good :)  Also the T2 series of wheeled 37mm's is kind of crazy and hilarious. 

DerViktim #35915 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 04:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 18294 battles
  • 6,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

I tried playing my Benson tonight. USN DDs are outgunned by just about every new DD line (Russians, IJN gunboats, Germans, & RN). There are far better torpedo boats. There are far sneakier boats. So what if you can put AA on them because AA is nearly useless as is and will be getting worse. I really don't see the point in the line at this stage.

 


Edited by DerViktim, Jan 11 2019 - 04:59.


Avalon304 #35916 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 05:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 20778 battles
  • 8,867
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012
So... I just watched tonights episode of The Orville... there was some serious tension, drama and emotion that one really doesnt expect from the guy who crated Family Guy and American Dad... this show really does feel like TNG but with slightly more humor.

PrimarchRogalDorn #35917 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:51

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,567
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

Automotive news:

Ford unveiled their retro liveries for the Rolex 24 recently.

Spoiler

#67 is an homage to the Jaguar XJR-9 sponsored by Castrol in the 1990s and #66 is an homage to the Mustangs sponsored by Motorcraft in the 1980s.

 

Spoiler

The new GT500 spec Supra was unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon. It's supposed to replace the current LC500 GT500 cars next year.



FrozenKemp #35918 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 50012 battles
  • 8,371
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
Earlier this week I watched a murder mystery, the first episode of Maigret from the BBC. Very good recreation of 50s or 60s Paris. The main character is played by Rowan Atkinson - not doing comedy! There were some moments of real tension (sending unarmed police women to walk alone at night as bait for a serial killer?!?) and proving their suspect was the killer proved interesting and complicated. I didn't even believe he was the killer at first.

DerViktim #35919 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 15:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 18294 battles
  • 6,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

Will watch

 

 

Season 1 was very good as was the season of Daredevil where they introduced The Punisher. The trailer is making season 2 look just as good.



The_Chieftain #35920 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 22:13

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 11776 battles
  • 9,833
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jan 11 2019 - 12:45, said:

Earlier this week I watched a murder mystery, the first episode of Maigret from the BBC. Very good recreation of 50s or 60s Paris. The main character is played by Rowan Atkinson - not doing comedy! There were some moments of real tension (sending unarmed police women to walk alone at night as bait for a serial killer?!?) and proving their suspect was the killer proved interesting and complicated. I didn't even believe he was the killer at first.

 

​Where? I went looking for it a while ago, but none of the US streaming services were hosting it.

 

I'm a week behind on Orville.  Last week's wasn't quite as much fun as I was hoping, but I do still like a lot of the 'real-world problems' (such as boredom) which ST ignores.

 

I believe there are some central Texans on here... I'll see you next week in San Antonio?






47 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 44 guests, 1 anonymous users


    Avalon304, SpectreHD