Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
41960 replies to this topic

stalkervision #40081 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:25

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:13, said:

Well at least one Republican Senator spoke up about what the rest of his party is doing... consequently he was asked to leave the party:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/456290-nebraska-gop-tells-republican-lawmaker-who-said-party-is-enabling-white

It's the party of Trump, the NRA and Moscow Mitch

Avalon304 #40082 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:25

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 05 2019 - 21:23, said:

Nebraska state senator, right?

Correct.

stalkervision #40083 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:30

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:22, said:

Semiautos are not going to be banned, they've been in common use since the early 1900s if not even earlier. Banning guns is not the solution, it's been shown time and time again that it just does not work since as it turns out, criminals don't follow laws to begin with.

>bolt actions should be the only allowed rifles

Ok Mr. Fudd. Take any of your arguments and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Obviously they won't be banned as Trump won't be impeached  but they really are not needed for hunting whatsoever Robin. Your argument isn't one. Criminals don't do these mass killings but extremest nuts do.

KilljoyCutter #40084 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:33

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:22, said:

Semiautos are not going to be banned, they've been in common use since the early 1900s if not even earlier. Banning guns is not the solution, it's been shown time and time again that it just does not work since as it turns out, criminals don't follow laws to begin with.

>bolt actions should be the only allowed rifles

Ok Mr. Fudd. Take any of your arguments and shove it where the sun don't shine.

I was watching a really interesting debate on CSPAN tonight, actually taped in late July, on the issue of the gun control vs gun rights, etc.  Two very civil and well-spoken individuals, and even though they had different positions, the one thing they both agreed on was that after Heller, MacDonald, and Caetano, it would take a constitutional amendment to significantly change the legal status quo -- with those cases standing as precedent (and in the Caetano case, SCOTUS ruled unanimously that the earlier two cases were precedent, and against the state of Massachusetts), a lot of laws that the left is demanding after each of the incidents would simply be struck down by the courts at some point afterwards.

So, anyone seeking to push significant bans or restrictions at this point faces a rather daunting uphill battle.  Given that there is a significant and obvious causal link from incendiary public speech to these incidents, one has to wonder if those who are willing to ignore or trash the 2nd Amendment would be quite so eager to give the same treatment to the 1st Amendment.

Also of interest is that multiple studies have shown that the previous "guns that look scary" ban evidently had little effect, and neither did its expiration -- which calls into question the effectiveness of such bans.

https://www.propublica.org/article/fact-checking-feinstein-on-the-assault-weapons-ban

E: and I'm going to leave it at that, I think everyone knows my position on the matter.  Come up with a background check system that doesn't record the identities of those checked unless they're in violation of the law, that cannot be used as a defact registration system, and that fully protects the privacy and anonymity of lawful buyers, and I'll reconsider some of my opposition... but I don't think it can be done, and I don't think significant elements of the disarm movement would support such a system, for reasons previously discussed re: the history of what registration leads to over time.

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Aug 06 2019 - 05:57.

stalkervision #40085 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:34

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles
IMO and I know this is a controversial one for sure but the younger generation has no skin in the game except for these unnecessary killings. Start up the draft again and see how things change and take away all their little gadgets they use to avoid life as we know it.

stalkervision #40086 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 05:37

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:33, said:

I was watching a really interesting debate on CSPAN tonight, actually taped in late July, on the issue of the gun control vs gun rights, etc.  Two very civil and well-spoken individuals, and even though they had different positions, the one thing they both agreed on was that after Heller, MacDonald, and Caetano, it would take a constitutional amendment to significantly change the legal status quo -- with those cases standing as precedent (and in the Caetano case, SCOTUS ruled unanimously that the earlier two cases were precedent, and against the state of Massachusetts), a lot of laws that the left is demanding after each of the incidents would simply be struck down by the courts at some point afterwards. 

I wouldn't be to sure since I thought Row vs Wade was safe. Of course it's a right wing packed court with more then a few usurpers sitting on it. 

PrimarchRogalDorn #40087 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 06:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:30, said:

Obviously they won't be banned as Trump won't be impeached  but they really are not needed for hunting whatsoever Robin. Your argument isn't one. Criminals don't do these mass killings but extremest nuts do.

The vast majority of hunters I know use semiautos, whether those are shotguns or rifles. Being able to do quick follow up shots is kind of critical. Face it, semiautos are common use and banning then would piss off millions of people.

Mermaid_Witch #40088 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 12:41

Major

• Players
  • 12858 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 06 2019 - 00:10, said:

The vast majority of hunters I know use semiautos, whether those are shotguns or rifles. Being able to do quick follow up shots is kind of critical. Face it, semiautos are common use and banning then would piss off millions of people.

Creeper doesn't have to "face" anything.  He's incapable of realizing he's wrong.  Just like the President he claims to hate.

FrozenKemp #40089 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 13:21

Major

• Players
  • 53783 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

The flip side of pissing off semi auto gun owners are all the people having to make escape plans at public events I'm case of a shooter. Which I'm sorry, USA, but that is insane. Read on Twitter about an author I follow goes out to public events less as a result.

In the case of the Ohio shooter reportedly he was a violent [edited]since high school and the neighbours were not surprised and I don't know if he had a criminal record but it is JUST POSSIBLE that banning high risk individuals from owning guns might do something. (Granted this would have to be done across the country and without states which are more lax than others).

SpectreHD #40090 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 13:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16921 battles
  • [TT] TT

View Poststalkervision, on Aug 06 2019 - 12:34, said:

IMO and I know this is a controversial one for sure but the younger generation has no skin in the game except for these unnecessary killings. Start up the draft again and see how things change and take away all their little gadgets they use to avoid life as we know it.

Lol if you think those actions would in any way address the root causes of why specific outliers of society decide to commit heinous acts just really shows how out of touch you are and completely ignorant on subjects and issues. And yet you continually lift your baseless opinions as if they are relevant or deducted from any sort of intelligence thought whatsoever.

Actually feels like you believe video games actually causes people to be violent.

Mermaid_Witch #40091 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 13:43

Major

• Players
  • 12858 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Aug 06 2019 - 07:24, said:

Lol if you think those actions would in any way address the root causes of why specific outliers of society decide to commit heinous acts just really shows how out of touch you are and completely ignorant on subjects and issues. And yet you continually lift your baseless opinions as if they are relevant or deducted from any sort of intelligence thought whatsoever.

Actually feels like you believe video games actually causes people to be violent.

What do you expect from someone so stupid as to mistake art style for storytelling?  He probably really enjoys the Transformers movies.  After all, They have such great special effects storytelling in them. 

Edited by Mermaid_Witch, Aug 06 2019 - 13:44.

godofdun #40092 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 15:30

Major

• Players
  • 15879 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

1st thing:  can we go back to ignoring youknowwho?

2nd thing:  I think everyone is relatively aware of everyone else's positions on the gun control debate.  Might just be me but I think everyone that holds different positions rolling their eyes at each other and moving on is healthier than treading back over ground that has been well scorched and salted.

Moving on.....we might see more of the Mueller report, but I'm not sure how much that matters personally:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/456236-judge-questions-barrs-handling-of-mueller-findings

KilljoyCutter #40093 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 15:38

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Aug 06 2019 - 07:21, said:

The flip side of pissing off semi auto gun owners are all the people having to make escape plans at public events I'm case of a shooter. Which I'm sorry, USA, but that is insane. Read on Twitter about an author I follow goes out to public events less as a result.

In the case of the Ohio shooter reportedly he was a violent [edited]since high school and the neighbours were not surprised and I don't know if he had a criminal record but it is JUST POSSIBLE that banning high risk individuals from owning guns might do something. (Granted this would have to be done across the country and without states which are more lax than others).

Fixating on the tool instead of the act and the root causes seems (to me) to be a recipe for flailing away at a problem instead of addressing it.

I did not bring it up at the time because it would have been crass and opportunistic, but the Kyoto anime studio attack demonstrates just how easy it is for someone without anything that gets culturally categorized as "weapon" and therefore "bad/dangerous/scary", to do a tremendous amount of damage to lives and property.  See also, the truck attack in France that killed so many.   Maybe it's just a different worldview, but personally I live every day surrounded by things that could -- through misfortune, chance, negligence, or malicious use -- kill me.  Every person in the modern world has access to a plethora of weapons, they're just not called "weapons", and so a lot of people go through life blissfully disconnected from that reality.

While I favor a system that addresses individual actions rather than relying on collective punishment, and actually takes serious warning signs seriously... I worry that the "red flag" concept has a lot of potential for abuse, as a method for either the state or private individuals to harass gun owners by bombarding them with spurious "red flag" reports.  A system could be set up with strong due process requirements, but once it's there, every time someone "slips through" because of due process, there will be pressure to ease the due process requirements so that "this never happens again".

View Postgodofdun, on Aug 06 2019 - 09:30, said:

1st thing:  can we go back to ignoring youknowwho?

2nd thing:  I think everyone is relatively aware of everyone else's positions on the gun control debate.  Might just be me but I think everyone that holds different positions rolling their eyes at each other and moving on is healthier than treading back over ground that has been well scorched and salted.

Moving on.....we might see more of the Mueller report, but I'm not sure how much that matters personally:

https://thehill.com/...ueller-findings

I'd love to go back to ignoring it.

I'm trying very hard to not scorch the earth, just present the stance with civility and then move on.

As for Mueller... I'm always happy to see a Trump toady slapped down by the courts, but at this point I'm not sure it makes much difference.... I think at this point there are enough Senate Republicans who have drowned in the Trump-aide and wouldn't vote to impeach if there were verified video of Don Orange handing Putin the nuclear codes while fellating him, to keep vote to convict from reaching the 2/3 margin.  Not every GOP Senator, but enough of them.

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Aug 06 2019 - 15:45.

godofdun #40094 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 16:57

Major

• Players
  • 15879 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 06 2019 - 07:38, said:

I'm trying very hard to not scorch the earth, just present the stance with civility and then move on.

As for Mueller... I'm always happy to see a Trump toady slapped down by the courts, but at this point I'm not sure it makes much difference.... I think at this point there are enough Senate Republicans who have drowned in the Trump-aide and wouldn't vote to impeach if there were verified video of Don Orange handing Putin the nuclear codes while fellating him, to keep vote to convict from reaching the 2/3 margin.  Not every GOP Senator, but enough of them.

That's fair, wasn't accusing anyone of anything, just expressing that while my opinion differs quite a bit this debate makes me feel more tired than anything else and it has inflamed the thread on more than one occasion.

Yeah, impeachment would never pass the Senate.  The idea would be that hearings/proceedings in the house would serve to draw citizens eyeballs to this stuff in ways that would otherwise not get them to pay attention and then be politically damaging to our Tangerine overlord.  Sort of like the Benghazi hearings and the reveal about Clintons private email server.  Hopefully they'd keep it more substantive than THAT mess, especially if they focus on things like obstruction rather than "Look at how many Russians he knows!".  They'd also probably have to wait a bit, to make sure this is happening next year during the election so he can't go on another "exoneration tour".

Edited by godofdun, Aug 06 2019 - 18:21.

stalkervision #40095 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 18:19

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Aug 06 2019 - 07:24, said:

You are not explaining any of your reasoning whatsoever as to be expected. It's just a word salad with ad hominem attacks.. Please do so. I would like to hear your reasonings. BTW I don't believe video games cause people to be violent. What do you believe got people to fight against Nixon and the Vietnam war. It was the draft. IMO most draft age people of that age wouldn't have been so vocal and engaged to change a bad situation if they could sit back and get stoned all the time "playing on their phones/ listening to rock music"  if there wasn't a draft.   Would the draft solve ALL our problems? Certainly not but not having one is a factor. If you can let others do all your fighting and sit back playing video games this is what you get. Few young people even vote. 

stalkervision #40096 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 18:29

Major

• Players
  • 69423 battles
What would be even better is changing senate rules so one person like Moscow Mitch can not control the country.  I would also look into presidential powers too. Both are out of control.

KilljoyCutter #40097 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 20:30

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Security vs Surveillance on the internet -- AG Barr claims the federal government needs a back door into all encryption.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/post-snowden-tech-became-more-secure-but-is-govt-really-at-risk-of-going-dark

cipher12 #40098 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 11752 battles

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Aug 06 2019 - 00:35, said:

I think the little side turrets are kind of awkward. I don't like that aesthetic choice on either the dreadnoughts or the hover-razorback. It also looks like it bears 2 storm bolters and 3 heavy stubbers, which might fall into the category of "by no means necessary".

I hope the weapons are mostly optional otherwise the points for that thing are gonna be nuts (unless they just massively undervalue its hull)

Space men getting new chapter tactics and "build a chapter" bonus looks pretty interesting heres hoping its the start of a new round of 2.0 codex/supplements. Except of course for Chaos who need 3.0 codex maybe this time they will get it right and give the Word Bearers something better than atsknf.

RitaGamer #40099 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 22:21

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles

View Postket101, on Aug 02 2019 - 02:46, said:

While I suppose it can be termed "jump starting", that sort of thing is what I'd personally call "bump starting", towing or pushing a vehicle to get it going (and when you have an old Mini, you get to know about it :)  ).  Jump starting is more when you use jumper cables from one vehicle's battery to another.  But that's local terminology, I guess.  Still a good and interesting video, even if the 'dozer wasn't feeling co-operative.

verb: jumpstart

1. start (a car with a flat battery) with jump leads or by a sudden release of the clutch while the car is being pushed.

KilljoyCutter #40100 Posted Aug 06 2019 - 22:30

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Could be American vs British usage.

Also, as fewer and fewer people drive manual transmission  vehicles, and thus clutches become less common, the technique in question may be falling out of common knowledge.

40 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 37 guests, 1 anonymous users

Avalon304, cipher12