• Please log in to reply
41585 replies to this topic

stalkervision #40101 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 68525 battles

View PostRitaGamer, on Aug 06 2019 - 16:21, said:

verb: jumpstart

1. start (a car with a flat battery) with jump leads or by a sudden release of the clutch while the car is being pushed.

Isn't that also a slang term for using a crash cart to "jumpstart" a heart? :P    I believe there is a better term like " push starting " and dropping the clutch to start a car. Just make sure your wife takes her foot off the brake first ! :(

Mermaid_Witch #40102 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 02:09

Major

• Players
  • 12533 battles
That's weird.  The forum just switched us over to a new page, despite the fact that no one has posted anything after Killjoy's latest post.  Must be bugs in the software.

ChairmanMilo #40103 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 03:15

Captain

• Players
  • 13410 battles

Just started my first model kit since '03 - the old classic Tamiya 1:35 Chieftain Mk.5.  I got far enough that I'll probably be painting rubber wheels tomorrow night.

Amazing what a lot of age and the patience that comes with it can do when it comes to making model kits.  In 2003 I was 22.  I would have already tried to finish this kit.

Got a Hobby Boss 1:35 Leopard 2A4M CAN as well.  For after the practice round.  Nothing easier to paint than a NATO green Leopard 2!

Avalon304 #40104 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 03:21

Major

• Players
  • 23443 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostChairmanMilo, on Aug 06 2019 - 19:15, said:

Just started my first model kit since '03 - the old classic Tamiya 1:35 Chieftain Mk.5.  I got far enough that I'll probably be painting rubber wheels tomorrow night.

Amazing what a lot of age and the patience that comes with it can do when it comes to making model kits.  In 2003 I was 22.  I would have already tried to finish this kit.

Got a Hobby Boss 1:35 Leopard 2A4M CAN as well.  For after the practice round.  Nothing easier to paint than a NATO green Leopard 2!

I really need to try that one day... but I need like a good Mk. 9 Centurion model... through a Chieftain woudlnt be so bad I guess...

FrozenKemp #40105 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 10:22

Major

• Players
  • 53408 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

I suspect both are available!

Shrike58 #40106 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 11:18

Major

• Players
  • 70642 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 06 2019 - 14:30, said:

Security vs Surveillance on the internet -- AG Barr claims the federal government needs a back door into all encryption.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/post-snowden-tech-became-more-secure-but-is-govt-really-at-risk-of-going-dark

Considering that some of the major malware issues that afflict us seem to stem from government created bugs that have gotten out into the wild why do I see nothing at all wrong with this...even above and beyond the usual civil liberties issues.:hiding:

Shrike58 #40107 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 11:23

Major

• Players
  • 70642 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Aug 05 2019 - 23:13, said:

Well at least one Republican Senator spoke up about what the rest of his party is doing... consequently he was asked to leave the party:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/456290-nebraska-gop-tells-republican-lawmaker-who-said-party-is-enabling-white

Sounds like he was looking for an out!

Shrike58 #40108 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 11:39

Major

• Players
  • 70642 battles

Don't you hate it when that happens?:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29288/russian-ammo-depot-has-been-burning-for-hours-after-exploding-in-giant-shockwave

Levity aside glad to read that no one has been killed (at least not yet).

Shrike58 #40109 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 11:46

Major

• Players
  • 70642 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 06 2019 - 00:10, said:

The vast majority of hunters I know use semiautos, whether those are shotguns or rifles. Being able to do quick follow up shots is kind of critical. Face it, semiautos are common use and banning then would piss off millions of people.

Besides that I can remember back in the day two fellows who knew their guns talking about most of the good old-style "long" guns were gone or prohibitively expensive collectables. That said some of these large magazine sizes do seem unjustifiable; spray and pray (...or is it prey) in action.

I have no desire to d-i-c-k around with the vast majority of responsible gun owners but at a certain point people's right to be not shot is going to outweigh the right to carry arms; and I agree that a constitutional amendment will be required.

I'll also admit that I fear a regime where "good" mental health (whatever that is (I have little faith in psychologists)) becomes mandatory.

No denying though that the Dayton shooter was  a nasty piece of work and we do need stronger measures to detain such people; it's just that I have great faith that they'll be badly abused.

Edited by Shrike58, Aug 07 2019 - 11:50.

KilljoyCutter #40110 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostShrike58, on Aug 07 2019 - 05:39, said:

Don't you hate it when that happens?:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29288/russian-ammo-depot-has-been-burning-for-hours-after-exploding-in-giant-shockwave

Levity aside glad to read that no one has been killed (at least not yet).

Couldn't happen to a nicer military, really.

DerViktim #40111 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 15:13

Major

• Players
  • 18344 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
When The National Review (very conservative on the political measuring stick) is calling for the FBI to start cracking down on the so-called "alt-right" you just know things have jumped the shark.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/the-fbi-crushed-the-klan-and-should-target-violent-white-supremacists-today/

Edited by DerViktim, Aug 07 2019 - 15:29.

Shrike58 #40112 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 70642 battles

View PostDerViktim, on Aug 07 2019 - 09:13, said:

When The National Review (very conservative on the political measuring stick) is calling for the FBI to start cracking down on the so-called "alt-right" you just know things have jumped the shark.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/the-fbi-crushed-the-klan-and-should-target-violent-white-supremacists-today/

The shade of William F. Buckley Jr. would be relieved that these people are finally wising up about pretending that they have no enemies to the right; the man spent quality time trying to drain his own swamp back in the day.

KilljoyCutter #40113 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 17:02

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostShrike58, on Aug 07 2019 - 05:46, said:

Besides that I can remember back in the day two fellows who knew their guns talking about most of the good old-style "long" guns were gone or prohibitively expensive collectables. That said some of these large magazine sizes do seem unjustifiable; spray and pray (...or is it prey) in action.

I have no desire to d-i-c-k around with the vast majority of responsible gun owners but at a certain point people's right to be not shot is going to outweigh the right to carry arms; and I agree that a constitutional amendment will be required.

I'll also admit that I fear a regime where "good" mental health (whatever that is (I have little faith in psychologists)) becomes mandatory.

No denying though that the Dayton shooter was  a nasty piece of work and we do need stronger measures to detain such people; it's just that I have great faith that they'll be badly abused.

Mandatory care is one of my nagging worries about "guaranteed single payer" health care in general, particularly when it comes to something as ephemeral and subjective as mental health. 

People poo-poo the idea that anyone would ever be forced to get a checkup or submit to tests under force of law -- but we live in a country where there's a constant push to require drugs tests as a prereq of even short-term financial or food assistance, and where a full physical is often required just to get on insurance, and where "YOU NEED THIS HEALTH CARE" is constantly shoved in our faces, and where hospitals have been known to require a lawyer's intervention before they'll willingly release a patient.

And then layer on that the long history of forced, abused, and labyrinthine mental health detention, of "involuntary treatment" done "for their own good"... and all this talk of the state getting more involved in mental health decisions should give us all pause.

I know someone who was committed against her will for just a couple of weeks before we could get her released... her father lived under a mile from the path of one of the Moore OK EF5 tornadoes, and when she saw it on the news (why they had the news on in a mental health facility, IDK) and said she had to call her father to make sure he was OK, the staff there just said "OK, Dorothy" and laughed at her, and then threatened to have her restrained if she didn't shut up about it.  I won't get into it, but the reason she was committed was complete bullcrap.

Like most laws, the ability to red-flag someone and confiscate their firearms sounds great when we assume it will only be applied to people who "deserve it"... but then one considers that it's basically where civil forfeiture and involuntary committing overlap, and it gets a lot darker.

Of course, to a significant portion of the disarm movement, this probably isn't a concern.

KilljoyCutter #40114 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostDerViktim, on Aug 07 2019 - 09:13, said:

View PostShrike58, on Aug 07 2019 - 09:59, said:

The shade of William F. Buckley Jr. would be relieved that these people are finally wising up about pretending that they have no enemies to the right; the man spent quality time trying to drain his own swamp back in the day.

From what I've seen the National Review has tried to retain / sustain intellectual conservatism despite the current climate, to some degree.

Sadly, the current DOJ leadership will start to crack down on the alt-right only when, and only to the degree, that the alt-right is seen as a liability to Trump's reelection chances.

godofdun #40115 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 15848 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostShrike58, on Aug 07 2019 - 07:59, said:

While I too applaud the publication actually calling for it, Buckley was his own piece of work, especially when it comes to homosexuals and the sub-human rhetoric he used to describe them.  If we're talking about those who promote or incite violence against a group of people because of how they talk about them, he's just as guilty.

Trump administration standard procedure of hiding away climate science btw

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/05/ziska-usda-climate-agriculture-trump-1445271

"One of the nation’s leading climate change scientists is quitting the Agriculture Department in protest over the Trump administration’s efforts to bury his groundbreaking study about how rice is losing nutrients because of rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Lewis Ziska, a 62-year-old plant physiologist who’s worked at USDA’s Agricultural Research Service for more than two decades, told POLITICO he was alarmed when department officials not only questioned the findings of the study — which raised serious concerns for the 600 million people who depend on rice for most of their calories — but also tried to minimize media coverage of the paper, which was published in the journal Science Advances last year."

avenue94 #40116 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 19:05

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40605 battles
  • [7AD33] 7AD33

View PostDerViktim, on Aug 07 2019 - 06:13, said:

Quite the craveness from the writer (Rich Lowry), considering he actually attended and spoke at the nationalist conference circle jerk thing a few weeks ago...Double dealing at it's finest (notice how when any NR writers discuss white nationalism, it's usually almost compared to the "perils of Islamic terror." 

KilljoyCutter #40117 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 19:31

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postavenue94, on Aug 07 2019 - 13:05, said:

Quite the craveness from the writer (Rich Lowry), considering he actually attended and spoke at the nationalist conference circle jerk thing a few weeks ago...Double dealing at it's finest (notice how when any NR writers discuss white nationalism, it's usually almost compared to the "perils of Islamic terror."

Could that potentially be because they know that their readers take Islamic extremism seriously, and they want to draw the (entirely accurate) parallels for them?

Is this the conference you're referring to: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/07/national-conservatism-conference/594202/

"Other speakers went so far as to censure the president. “We have to push back against Donald Trump when he does things to increase that breach between the right and African Americans,” said Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review, during one session. “He’s got to avoid unforced and idiotic errors.” "

What scares me most about that conference, is the open call to end even the notion of libertarian principles in the Republican party, and fully embrace a sort of right-statism and proto-authoritarianism (whether that authority is vested in one populist leader or the mechanisms of the state bent do serve The Cause).   Which would leave us with two parties who fully and openly view the power of the state as the means to an end.

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Aug 07 2019 - 19:35.

avenue94 #40118 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 20:07

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40605 battles
  • [7AD33] 7AD33

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 07 2019 - 10:31, said:

Could that potentially be because they know that their readers take Islamic extremism seriously, and they want to draw the (entirely accurate) parallels for them?

Is this the conference you're referring to: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/07/national-conservatism-conference/594202/

"Other speakers went so far as to censure the president. “We have to push back against Donald Trump when he does things to increase that breach between the right and African Americans,” said Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review, during one session. “He’s got to avoid unforced and idiotic errors.” "

What scares me most about that conference, is the open call to end even the notion of libertarian principles in the Republican party, and fully embrace a sort of right-statism and proto-authoritarianism (whether that authority is vested in one populist leader or the mechanisms of the state bent do serve The Cause).   Which would leave us with two parties who fully and openly view the power of the state as the means to an end.

If I were to give Lowry the benefit of the doubt, yes, I could see it as tact to appeal to the NR's readers. It bugs me, however, because it's whataboutism and a false equivalency. The U.S. has never had the problem with domestic Islamic terror that we've had with white nationalism.

And the conference doesn't sit well with me because it strikes me as an attempt to dress up crass racism and stupidity with the cloaks of intellectualism. And I think I brought up this point when Trump had his tweets about the squad, but Lowry's criticism Trump (At least in that excerpt) isn't because of morals or character, it's because Trump is hurting the Republican brand. 

godofdun #40119 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 15848 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postavenue94, on Aug 07 2019 - 12:07, said:

If I were to give Lowry the benefit of the doubt, yes, I could see it as tact to appeal to the NR's readers. It bugs me, however, because it's whataboutism and a false equivalency. The U.S. has never had the problem with domestic Islamic terror that we've had with white nationalism.

And the conference doesn't sit well with me because it strikes me as an attempt to dress up crass racism and stupidity with the cloaks of intellectualism. And I think I brought up this point when Trump had his tweets about the squad, but Lowry's criticism Trump (At least in that excerpt) isn't because of morals or character, it's because Trump is hurting the Republican brand. 

This, plus it also indicates that Lowry might not be aware that this aspect of Trump is a feature, not a bug.  This has always been who he is.  It also makes it sound as if Lowry is ok with everything else the president is doing OUTSIDE of that specific issue.  Either one of these would put Lowry in the delusional camp as far as I'm concerned.

KilljoyCutter #40120 Posted Aug 07 2019 - 20:45

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postavenue94, on Aug 07 2019 - 14:07, said:

View Postgodofdun, on Aug 07 2019 - 14:20, said:

This, plus it also indicates that Lowry might not be aware that this aspect of Trump is a feature, not a bug.  This has always been who he is.  It also makes it sound as if Lowry is ok with everything else the president is doing OUTSIDE of that specific issue.  Either one of these would put Lowry in the delusional camp as far as I'm concerned.

When someone says we should take alt-right-race-nationalism as seriously as we take Islamic extremism or once took the KKK, they're right.  I don't see any need to search for ways to dismiss them at an almost personal level when the statement is so fundamentally, deeply correct.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users

avenue94, Avalon304, ChairmanMilo