Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
40948 replies to this topic

Mermaid_Witch #40461 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 03:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 12403 battles
  • 13,743
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Aug 21 2019 - 20:54, said:

 

What's your issue with the banning of high capacity magazines?

 

Easy.  Define "high capacity".  Depending on who you ask, my Ruger 10/22's stock 10 round magazine could be considered "high capacity".  I don't trust the people who consider "assault rifles" to be somehow worse than normal rifles to have a reasonable opinion on magazine size. 


Edited by Mermaid_Witch, Aug 22 2019 - 03:01.


PrimarchRogalDorn #40462 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 04:08

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,814
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Aug 21 2019 - 21:00, said:

 

Easy.  Define "high capacity".  Depending on who you ask, my Ruger 10/22's stock 10 round magazine could be considered "high capacity".  I don't trust the people who consider "assault rifles" to be somehow worse than normal rifles to have a reasonable opinion on magazine size. 


In their eyes, anything over one round would be "high capacity"



Legiondude #40463 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 04:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 20522 battles
  • 23,193
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    08-22-2011
If the Parkland kids didn't consider 10-rounders to be "high capacity" in that statement, they specifically sidestepped a means which allegedly could have prevented their own school shooting

Zergling #40464 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 04:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,457
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

Whelp, got a partial root canal job done quickly on my sore tooth. Pain isn't going away immediately but is supposed to subside gradually; between that and the painkillers I'm taking, I can finally eat, first time in about 18 hours!

 

Thank **** for Australian Medicare and a functional dental system.

 

 



KilljoyCutter #40465 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 04:58

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,424
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Aug 21 2019 - 21:00, said:

 

Easy.  Define "high capacity".  Depending on who you ask, my Ruger 10/22's stock 10 round magazine could be considered "high capacity".  I don't trust the people who consider "assault rifles" to be somehow worse than normal rifles to have a reasonable opinion on magazine size.

 


 

More broadly, I don't trust people who not only are ignorant about a thing, but take a twisted moral pride in their ignorance about that thing, to make decisions about that thing. 



SpectreHD #40466 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 13:27

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16848 battles
  • 17,195
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

Time for more Art. Details of the works of 10 of the named victims released in the KyoAni attack.

 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-08-21/the-incredible-artists-of-kyoto-animation-part-1/.149150

 

Also some good news, tax breaks for the KyoAni donations.

 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-22/sankei-japan-to-provide-tax-breaks-for-kyoto-animation-donations/.150298



DerViktim #40467 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 14:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 18344 battles
  • 7,062
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

I may be a tech person, but I've always been skeptical about "The Internet of Things" devices. The more the tech industry talked up their IoT gadgets the more skeptical I got. Not tinfoil hat skeptical, but "all that data is going somewhere and what are they doing with it" skeptical. It looks like Ring's video doorbells are just security cameras for the police that you get to pay for, provide power to, and provide data back-haul service for.

 

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/dont-call-our-surveillance-products-surveillance-ring-tells-police/



godofdun #40468 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 15:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 15848 battles
  • 5,845
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Aug 21 2019 - 19:00, said:

 

Easy.  Define "high capacity".  Depending on who you ask, my Ruger 10/22's stock 10 round magazine could be considered "high capacity".  I don't trust the people who consider "assault rifles" to be somehow worse than normal rifles to have a reasonable opinion on magazine size. 

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 21 2019 - 20:08, said:


In their eyes, anything over one round would be "high capacity"

 

I very much agree to not letting hysterical people make those decisions.  Considering 10 round magazines "high capacity" is silly, yes.  Yet, I would argue that banning 100 round and other drum magazines is low hanging fruit in this discussion.

 

The flip side of the "I don't trust these people to do x" discussion is that goes both ways.  I wouldn't trust the Republicans to pass a clean bill that just addresses real high capacity magazines like the above used in the Ohio shooting because they're not listening to the "these things are just tools and no big deal" people, they're listening to those who have fetishized these things.  I'd love for them to prove me wrong about that.  This is probably the one area where I'd be very pleased with a more incremental centrist approach.



KilljoyCutter #40469 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 15:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,424
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostDerViktim, on Aug 22 2019 - 08:59, said:

I may be a tech person, but I've always been skeptical about "The Internet of Things" devices. The more the tech industry talked up their IoT gadgets the more skeptical I got. Not tinfoil hat skeptical, but "all that data is going somewhere and what are they doing with it" skeptical. It looks like Ring's video doorbells are just security cameras for the police that you get to pay for, provide power to, and provide data back-haul service for.

 

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/dont-call-our-surveillance-products-surveillance-ring-tells-police/

 

Yeap.  EFF sent out a big thing on that yesterday too, I was going to post it when I had time to do it justice.

 

I mean, tons of devices, most of them running default "security" and unpatched, all communicating with each other and "the mothership"... what could possibly go wrong?


 



DerViktim #40470 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 16:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 18344 battles
  • 7,062
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 22 2019 - 09:46, said:

 

Yeap.  EFF sent out a big thing on that yesterday too, I was going to post it when I had time to do it justice.

 

I mean, tons of devices, most of them running default "security" and unpatched, all communicating with each other and "the mothership"... what could possibly go wrong?


 

 

One of the other things I've been skeptical about is just how fast the tech industry abandons support for "legacy devices" and just how fast devices become "legacy". Having to replace something like, light switches for example, every 3-5 years because they have become "legacy and unsupported" doesn't appeal to me. At all.



KilljoyCutter #40471 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 18:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,424
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostDerViktim, on Aug 22 2019 - 10:00, said:

 

One of the other things I've been skeptical about is just how fast the tech industry abandons support for "legacy devices" and just how fast devices become "legacy". Having to replace something like, light switches for example, every 3-5 years because they have become "legacy and unsupported" doesn't appeal to me. At all.

 


 

Same here.  They don't want customers, they want consumers -- so much so that we're supposed to be consuming major durable goods that used to last 20 years, if we act as they want us to.


 



Shrike58 #40472 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 18:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 70470 battles
  • 8,769
  • Member since:
    02-23-2013

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 22 2019 - 12:06, said:

 


 

Same here.  They don't want customers, they want consumers -- so much so that we're supposed to be consuming major durable goods that used to last 20 years, if we act as they want us to.


 

 

Which even above the security and nuisance issue is not conducive to sustainability...which is no joke either.



Zergling #40473 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 20:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,457
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

So, four international radiation monitoring stations in Siberia were shut down after Russia's recent nuclear accident on August 8


And it appears 2 of the deaths in that accident died from radiation poisoning. The story doesn't say how quickly, but it implies rather fast, I'm thinking in under one or two days.

By radiation poisoning standards, that's really freaking fast; the fastest death from radiation poisoning from Chernobyl was something like 11 days, so deaths in 1-2 days or less would require a gigantic radiation dosage.

 

Combine those two stories and it looks like the nuclear accident was much worse than Russia is admitting.

 



cipher12 #40474 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 21:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 11752 battles
  • 7,407
  • Member since:
    11-17-2011
Waah thats so uncharacteristic of Russian Officials to lie about something that they feel would damage how they are perceived :teethhappy:

KilljoyCutter #40475 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 22:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,424
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostZergling, on Aug 22 2019 - 14:59, said:

So, four international radiation monitoring stations in Siberia were shut down after Russia's recent nuclear accident on August 8


And it appears 2 of the deaths in that accident died from radiation poisoning. The story doesn't say how quickly, but it implies rather fast, I'm thinking in under one or two days.

By radiation poisoning standards, that's really freaking fast; the fastest death from radiation poisoning from Chernobyl was something like 11 days, so deaths in 1-2 days or less would require a gigantic radiation dosage.

 

Combine those two stories and it looks like the nuclear accident was much worse than Russia is admitting.

 

 

View Postcipher12, on Aug 22 2019 - 15:20, said:

Waah thats so uncharacteristic of Russian Officials to lie about something that they feel would damage how they are perceived :teethhappy:

 

Wow... 2 days.

 

And yeah, from what I heard on NPR the Russians were of course all defensive and "we're not obligated to share any data from those sites" and "we don't enables spies" and so on when asked about the sites being down.  And about the accident itself, "this is the price of being a great country that pushes forward" or something along those lines.


 

If it's as bad as it sounds, the evidence will show up "in the wind" eventually, I think.


 



Mermaid_Witch #40476 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 22:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 12403 battles
  • 13,743
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 22 2019 - 16:08, said:

And about the accident itself, "this is the price of being a great country that pushes forward" or something along those lines.

 

Funny how other great countries don't have major nuclear accidents all the time.  It's almost as if Russia is a third-world sh*thole that only commands international respect by virtue of the goods it looted from the corpse of the last country that existed there.



DerViktim #40477 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 00:01

    Major

  • Players
  • 18344 battles
  • 7,062
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

This made me laugh out loud. Yes, yes it did.

 



PrimarchRogalDorn #40478 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 04:54

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,814
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017
Why is Russia even bothering with nuclear propulsion? The US tried this exact idea back in the 60s and 70s, and abandoned it as unviable.

Shrike58 #40479 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 11:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 70470 battles
  • 8,769
  • Member since:
    02-23-2013

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 22 2019 - 22:54, said:

Why is Russia even bothering with nuclear propulsion? The US tried this exact idea back in the 60s and 70s, and abandoned it as unviable.

 

Putin strikes me as the sort of person who would want to have a terror weapon for "reasons," as a terror weapon is all that missile is.

 

"This is the price of being a great country that pushes forward" is so Bolshevik in essence that it's pathetic.

 

 


Edited by Shrike58, Aug 23 2019 - 12:39.


Zergling #40480 Posted Aug 23 2019 - 11:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,457
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

View Postcipher12, on Aug 23 2019 - 06:20, said:

Waah thats so uncharacteristic of Russian Officials to lie about something that they feel would damage how they are perceived :teethhappy:

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Aug 23 2019 - 07:08, said:

Wow... 2 days.

 

And yeah, from what I heard on NPR the Russians were of course all defensive and "we're not obligated to share any data from those sites" and "we don't enables spies" and so on when asked about the sites being down.  And about the accident itself, "this is the price of being a great country that pushes forward" or something along those lines.


 

If it's as bad as it sounds, the evidence will show up "in the wind" eventually, I think.

 

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49432681

Block Quote

The next day the three victims were transferred to a hospital in Moscow which has radiation specialists. Their condition now is unknown.

 

According to the other article, they died before getting to Moscow, so that definitely sounds like death in only 1-2 days.

 

 

 

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 23 2019 - 13:54, said:

Why is Russia even bothering with nuclear propulsion? The US tried this exact idea back in the 60s and 70s, and abandoned it as unviable.

 

Basically, they're doing it for propaganda. Putin needs to look big and strong to his own people.

 






34 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users


    avenue94, akh101, Taiho, Avalon304, Tjtod, SpectreHD