Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
41957 replies to this topic

Tjtod #41581 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 22:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 1,993
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013


Avalon304 #41582 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 22:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 23642 battles
  • 10,112
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostZergling, on Oct 18 2019 - 14:00, said:

 

Well thats creative... I wonder if the cabs have fake drivers in them too...



Mermaid_Witch #41583 Posted Oct 18 2019 - 23:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 12855 battles
  • 13,907
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Oct 18 2019 - 16:37, said:

 

Well thats creative... I wonder if the cabs have fake drivers in them too...

 

They probably tied condemned criminals to the steering wheel so they have an actual, living human decoy driver for a more realistic appearance.


Edited by Mermaid_Witch, Oct 18 2019 - 23:53.


avenue94 #41584 Posted Oct 19 2019 - 00:09

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 40605 battles
  • 384
  • [7AD33] 7AD33
  • Member since:
    07-05-2010

Scary and sad news for the journalism industry. The first big newspaper chain to outsource design work overseas. I worked for a property that they bought several years ago, it's just tragic to see how much profit they've managed to squeeze out (17 percent margins are absurd). It also feels weird since I'm generally not too sympathetic to outsourcing of say, car manufacturing. Weird conundrum for me personally. 

 

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/11/digital-first-media-layoffs-outsourcing/ 

 

Also as a bonus, California as it stands (presumably unwittingly) is killing the freelancer journalist model next year. Thanks, Uber.



PrimarchRogalDorn #41585 Posted Oct 19 2019 - 00:50

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,840
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View PostZergling, on Oct 18 2019 - 16:00, said:

 

View PostAvalon304, on Oct 18 2019 - 16:37, said:

 

Well thats creative... I wonder if the cabs have fake drivers in them too...

 

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Oct 18 2019 - 17:50, said:

 

They probably tied condemned criminals to the steering wheel so they have an actual, living human decoy driver for a more realistic appearance.


Photos are from 2009 in Beijing, not in Hong Kong.



godofdun #41586 Posted Oct 19 2019 - 02:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 15879 battles
  • 5,967
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View Postavenue94, on Oct 18 2019 - 16:09, said:

Scary and sad news for the journalism industry. The first big newspaper chain to outsource design work overseas. I worked for a property that they bought several years ago, it's just tragic to see how much profit they've managed to squeeze out (17 percent margins are absurd). It also feels weird since I'm generally not too sympathetic to outsourcing of say, car manufacturing. Weird conundrum for me personally. 

 

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/11/digital-first-media-layoffs-outsourcing/ 

 

Also as a bonus, California as it stands (presumably unwittingly) is killing the freelancer journalist model next year. Thanks, Uber.

 

Ick.  I wonder what year the AI will be writing the news for us.

 

View Postcipher12, on Oct 18 2019 - 11:06, said:

Whoops looks like Activison accidentally tried to hold an event in a country that doesnt "exist"

https://www.polygon....g-kong-protests

 

Cant wait for Blizzcon and to see how they try to stop people protesting.

 

Hope they didn't plan on showing any more of Diablo Immortal!

 

View PostDerViktim, on Oct 18 2019 - 11:53, said:

 

Education, in general, has taken a battering over the last 20-30 years. Budgets have been cut consistently. Class sizes have grown. Teacher wages have stagnated. A teacher in my state is required to get a Master's Degree in education and effectively serve an apprenticeship before they can get their teaching certificate. They are highly trained and qualified before they are allowed to step in front of a classroom full of students on their own. I'm pretty sure that teachers in most states have similar qualification requirements. The fact that they get paid as little as they do considering the qualifications they hold is beyond the pale to me. That is also why many of them leave teaching. They can leverage their professional qualifications far more lucratively elsewhere.

 

Also, Unions represent ALL their members. Not just the few that are doing well. We have many of the same issues here with support staff being very poorly paid considering how important the work they do is. Unlike Chicago we are not legally allowed to strike in NYS. The whole Taylor law and all.

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergreene/2019/09/05/we-need-to-stop-talking-about-the-teacher-shortage/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Law

 

Exactly.  Also, that law is especially sad given New York was such a huge part of the labor movement.



DerViktim #41587 Posted Oct 19 2019 - 03:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 18344 battles
  • 7,120
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Oct 18 2019 - 20:03, said:

Exactly.  Also, that law is especially sad given New York was such a huge part of the labor movement.

 

The Triboro amendment to The Taylor law kind of helps somewhat. Long story short, is when something "Goes to Triboro" it means that the terms of the existing collective bargaining agreement stay in effect until a new agreement takes effect. Usually "administration" is looking to cut costs on benefits. Before the Triboro they could just say "You don't have a contract, this is what we are giving you." Under Triboro the existing contract terms, including defined benefits, stay just as they are. The idea is it is to encourage "administration" to negotiate in good faith. It doesn't seem to work out that way most of the time but at least it ensures that the workers are still covered by existing contract terms during the negotiation.

 



stalkervision #41588 Posted Oct 19 2019 - 23:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostDerViktim, on Oct 18 2019 - 21:41, said:

 

The Triboro amendment to The Taylor law kind of helps somewhat. Long story short, is when something "Goes to Triboro" it means that the terms of the existing collective bargaining agreement stay in effect until a new agreement takes effect. Usually "administration" is looking to cut costs on benefits. Before the Triboro they could just say "You don't have a contract, this is what we are giving you." Under Triboro the existing contract terms, including defined benefits, stay just as they are. The idea is it is to encourage "administration" to negotiate in good faith. It doesn't seem to work out that way most of the time but at least it ensures that the workers are still covered by existing contract terms during the negotiation.

 


good point. 



Zergling #41589 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 00:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,467
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

BUT HER EMAILS!!!



stalkervision #41590 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 00:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013
I have been defending Avalons opinion on the h/E change in the sandbox server. He is actually right about it but all the derp lords think otherwise ! :D

Avalon304 #41591 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 00:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 23642 battles
  • 10,112
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostZergling, on Oct 19 2019 - 16:27, said:

 

ayyyylmao... where will he pivot next?



Mermaid_Witch #41592 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 00:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 12855 battles
  • 13,907
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Oct 19 2019 - 18:42, said:

 

ayyyylmao... where will he pivot next?

 

He'll double down.  Obviously the republicans that exonerated her were part of the deep state.



PrimarchRogalDorn #41593 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 01:50

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,840
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017


Apache1990 #41594 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 03:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 35603 battles
  • 6,976
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View Poststalkervision, on Oct 19 2019 - 19:39, said:

I have been defending Avalons opinion on the h/E change in the sandbox server. He is actually right about it but all the derp lords think otherwise ! :D

 

My opinion is split.  To me, it makes sense for guns that rely on firing HE as a primary ammo type to have HE adjusted to the 0mm penetration type, along with the damage mechanic change, to make HE damage from them more consistent/predictable.  On the other hand, I want to retain penetrating, higher damage HE as a skill-choice option for guns which primarily fire AP(CR)/HEAT ammo, to reward players using knowledge of armor values to their advantage when applicable.

 

My preferred HE adjustment would be:

  All guns

- Non-penetrating HE damage mechanic revision, as per sandbox

  HE-primary howitzers, etc.

- HE penetration reduced to 0, as per sandbox

- HE final damage after mitigation similar to live

- Potentially higher against weakly armored targets which would currently have a significant chance to be penetrated, but not to the extreme degree at present

- Availability of non-premium armor piercing ammo types for all (even if low on penetration for the tier, I still enjoy throwing O-Ho AP ammo at overmatches when possible, etc.)

- Possibly adjust the damage down slightly as appropriate for tiering for existing guns (particularly T6 ~15cm guns, higher tiers tend to be better adjusted for the overall environment)

  AP(CR)/HEAT-primary guns

- HE penetration values/damage on-pen unchanged

 

 

tl;dr:

- Keep HE the same for guns where firing HE at a target is a skill-option to make the most of a situation (dealing roughly 30% more damage [on average] when used correctly is a good reward for skilled ammo selection)

- Change HE for guns where firing HE at a target is your default decision (as these guns currently tend to do 100-200% more damage than usual [or more] when penetrating targets compared to external detonation)

- Also give them non-premium armor piercing ammo that does appropriate high-ish alpha for tier, as a reward for skilled ammo selection



stalkervision #41595 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 04:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostApache1990, on Oct 19 2019 - 21:32, said:

 

My opinion is split.  To me, it makes sense for guns that rely on firing HE as a primary ammo type to have HE adjusted to the 0mm penetration type, along with the damage mechanic change, to make HE damage from them more consistent/predictable.  On the other hand, I want to retain penetrating, higher damage HE as a skill-choice option for guns which primarily fire AP(CR)/HEAT ammo, to reward players using knowledge of armor values to their advantage when applicable.

 

My preferred HE adjustment would be:

  All guns

- Non-penetrating HE damage mechanic revision, as per sandbox

  HE-primary howitzers, etc.

- HE penetration reduced to 0, as per sandbox

- HE final damage after mitigation similar to live

- Potentially higher against weakly armored targets which would currently have a significant chance to be penetrated, but not to the extreme degree at present

- Availability of non-premium armor piercing ammo types for all (even if low on penetration for the tier, I still enjoy throwing O-Ho AP ammo at overmatches when possible, etc.)

- Possibly adjust the damage down slightly as appropriate for tiering for existing guns (particularly T6 ~15cm guns, higher tiers tend to be better adjusted for the overall environment)

  AP(CR)/HEAT-primary guns

- HE penetration values/damage on-pen unchanged

 

 

tl;dr:

- Keep HE the same for guns where firing HE at a target is a skill-option to make the most of a situation (dealing roughly 30% more damage [on average] when used correctly is a good reward for skilled ammo selection)

- Change HE for guns where firing HE at a target is your default decision (as these guns currently tend to do 100-200% more damage than usual [or more] when penetrating targets compared to external detonation)

- Also give them non-premium armor piercing ammo that does appropriate high-ish alpha for tier, as a reward for skilled ammo selection

Imo large H/E should work like it did IRL like what happened when a Su-152 hit a Tiger or Panther with it.. It would buckle the armor but not penetrate it. One could see daylight at the seams in fact.  I would make any armors ability to take these shots much less each time it hits it.  



SpectreHD #41596 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 06:30

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16921 battles
  • 17,343
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010
Or we don't do something to something that isn't actually a problem instead.

stalkervision #41597 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 10:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

View PostSpectreHD, on Oct 20 2019 - 00:30, said:

Or we don't do something to something that isn't actually a problem instead.

Because that's not how WG works ! :teethhappy:



stalkervision #41598 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 10:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013
I actually blame myself for this. I have noticed when I get a thought it often translates into real life. For instance,I had a thought, ( what if a total screw up fool was to become president..what do you think would happen?)...and...( What if WG reduced large caliber H/E derp pen drastically ? )   Well, I got my answer to both questions! :(   "Be careful what you wish for..

stalkervision #41599 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 11:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 69400 battles
  • 9,753
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013
Now I am thinking... "What if the chieftain decided to become a airline pilot ?" :coin:

KilljoyCutter #41600 Posted Oct 20 2019 - 21:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,681
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

Intuit's effort to quash free tax filing:

 

https://www.propublica.org/article/inside-turbotax-20-year-fight-to-stop-americans-from-filing-their-taxes-for-free

 






47 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 43 guests, 1 anonymous users


    SpectreHD, MechaGuppy, Shrike58