Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
41994 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #41601 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 12:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 53880 battles
  • 9,991
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
It's election day in Canada. God help us all.

DerViktim #41602 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 14:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 18344 battles
  • 7,124
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

Looks like the underwater archaeologists on the Petrel found Akagi too. I wonder how long it will take them to find Hiryu and Soryu as well since they found Kaga last week.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rv-petrel-battle-midway-kaga-wreck-aircraft-carrier-ww2-paul-allen-a9161481.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/21/humbling-wreckage-of-japanese-ships-from-battle-of-midway-found-in-pacific



PrimarchRogalDorn #41603 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 15:01

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,840
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

R/V Petrel discovered IJN Akagi earlier today at a depth of ~5300m

 

Edit: ninja'd by DerViktim

 

I'd imagine Soryuu would be found next, given that she sank in the same general area as Akagi and Kaga. Hiryuu sank off to the northwest, IIRC


Edited by PrimarchRogalDorn, Oct 21 2019 - 15:07.


The_Chieftain #41604 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 15:12

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 13785 battles
  • 9,916
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

View Poststalkervision, on Oct 20 2019 - 04:08, said:

Now I am thinking... "What if the chieftain decided to become a airline pilot ?" :coin:

 

I have considered it. When I got my flight physical before I started my flight training, I deliberately picked the  First Class medical certificate, which is a requirement for Airline Transport Pilot certification in order to ensure that I was capable of getting such a license if I felt I should go in that direction.

 

However, it  was always an emergency backup option. Base pay for entry level pilots is far below what would sustain my family's current standard of living, especially considering the hours.



KilljoyCutter #41605 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 15:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostFrozenKemp, on Oct 21 2019 - 06:41, said:

It's election day in Canada. God help us all.

 

 

Sounds like neither the Liberals nor the Conservatives are likely to win a straight majority.

 

The promised proportional system never materialized, leaving this election as FPTP, right? 

 

I did see where some supporters of the Conservative's leader were chanting "lock him up" regarding Trudeau... I guess that toxic little meme is going to spread.  As it links to US politics, Trump stirring up that meme regarding Hillary is in turn going to make any effort to hold Trump accountable for actual crimes look "political", which is a sad state of affairs.



KilljoyCutter #41606 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 15:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Oct 21 2019 - 09:12, said:

 

I have considered it. When I got my flight physical before I started my flight training, I deliberately picked the  First Class medical certificate, which is a requirement for Airline Transport Pilot certification in order to ensure that I was capable of getting such a license if I felt I should go in that direction.

 

However, it  was always an emergency backup option. Base pay for entry level pilots is far below what would sustain my family's current standard of living, especially considering the hours.

 

Yeah, I've been reading about that, there are real safety concerns with pilots no longer being considered elite specialists by the airlines, but rather just another labor cost to be reduced by any means necessary.


 


 



godofdun #41607 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 15:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 15879 battles
  • 5,974
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostApache1990, on Oct 19 2019 - 19:32, said:

My preferred HE adjustment would be:

  All guns

- Non-penetrating HE damage mechanic revision, as per sandbox

  HE-primary howitzers, etc.

- HE penetration reduced to 0, as per sandbox

- HE final damage after mitigation similar to live

- Potentially higher against weakly armored targets which would currently have a significant chance to be penetrated, but not to the extreme degree at present

- Availability of non-premium armor piercing ammo types for all (even if low on penetration for the tier, I still enjoy throwing O-Ho AP ammo at overmatches when possible, etc.)

- Possibly adjust the damage down slightly as appropriate for tiering for existing guns (particularly T6 ~15cm guns, higher tiers tend to be better adjusted for the overall environment)

  AP(CR)/HEAT-primary guns

- HE penetration values/damage on-pen unchanged

 

 

Ya they definitely need to do something(s) for the tanks that basically are designed around those big HE derp guns.  Either buff or implement some other gun or add/change existing ammunition to compensate.  It is fairly clear they are thinking of this as part of some larger suite of changes so here's hoping they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

 

View PostFrozenKemp, on Oct 21 2019 - 04:41, said:

It's election day in Canada. God help us all.

 

Godspeed! 

 

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 21 2019 - 07:20, said:

 

Yeah, I've been reading about that, there are real safety concerns with pilots no longer being considered elite specialists by the airlines, but rather just another labor cost to be reduced by any means necessary.

 

 

Why do I need to be constantly reminded of this scene?



KilljoyCutter #41608 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 16:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

Trump sure surrounds himself with quality people...  :facepalm:

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mulvaney-and-cipollone-involved-in-internal-white-house-feud-over-chief-of-staff-job/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-acting-chief-of-staff-mick-mulvaney-melts-down-under-brutal-grilling-by-foxs-chris-Wallace

 



chickenfeetaretasty #41609 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 16:19

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 17298 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    10-01-2012

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 21 2019 - 14:19, said:

 

 

Sounds like neither the Liberals nor the Conservatives are likely to win a straight majority.

 

The promised proportional system never materialized, leaving this election as FPTP, right? 

 

I did see where some supporters of the Conservative's leader were chanting "lock him up" regarding Trudeau... I guess that toxic little meme is going to spread.  As it links to US politics, Trump stirring up that meme regarding Hillary is in turn going to make any effort to hold Trump accountable for actual crimes look "political", which is a sad state of affairs.

 

Yes, we're still using fptp. 

 

In regards to the "lock him up" thing, the prime minister was found by an ethics commission to have violated standards by attempting  to pressure the justice minister to go easy on a major company based in a vote-rich province. While the people chanting that are obviously drawing parallels to Hillary, the sentiment isn't without merit. I'm not even sure if what he did qualifies as illegal, but he's at least been proven to have done something's objectionable, unlike with "buttery males".



KilljoyCutter #41610 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 16:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View Postchickenfeetaretasty, on Oct 21 2019 - 10:19, said:

 

Yes, we're still using fptp.

 

In regards to the "lock him up" thing, the prime minister was found by an ethics commission to have violated standards by attempting  to pressure the justice minister to go easy on a major company based in a vote-rich province. While the people chanting that are obviously drawing parallels to Hillary, the sentiment isn't without merit. I'm not even sure if what he did qualifies as illegal, but he's at least been proven to have done something's objectionable, unlike with "buttery males".

 

I'd read about that, as well, Trudeau has made himself an easy target in a few ways, right?

 

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was only commenting on the sad parallel with the decay of US political discourse.



chickenfeetaretasty #41611 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 16:53

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 17298 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    10-01-2012

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 21 2019 - 15:28, said:

 

I'd read about that, as well, Trudeau has made himself an easy target in a few ways, right?

 

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was only commenting on the sad parallel with the decay of US political discourse.


Yes, he's been involved in a bunch of minor scandals involving ethics violations. More recently, a photo of him in blackface has surfaced, and he was well into adulthood at the time, so on end can't just chalk it up to youthful stupidity. It's especially hypocritical considering his preaching about diversity and inclusiveness.

 

Our discourse is pretty much just as bad as what's going on in the states now. Instead of calimg him out on trying to interfere with the legal process, his support rose in that province once the details came out. To provide better context, the company in question had paid bribes to Libyan officials, and the prosecution agreement would have barred them from bidding on government infrastructure projects for 10 years. So, yeah, it probably would have resulted in job losses, which was ostensibly what Trudeau was asking the justice minister to consider. 

 

Compared to the the likes of Trump its child's play, but we've let political affiliation rule everything. 



godofdun #41612 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 15879 battles
  • 5,974
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View Postchickenfeetaretasty, on Oct 21 2019 - 08:53, said:


Yes, he's been involved in a bunch of minor scandals involving ethics violations. More recently, a photo of him in blackface has surfaced, and he was well into adulthood at the time, so on end can't just chalk it up to youthful stupidity. It's especially hypocritical considering his preaching about diversity and inclusiveness.

 

Our discourse is pretty much just as bad as what's going on in the states now. Instead of calimg him out on trying to interfere with the legal process, his support rose in that province once the details came out. To provide better context, the company in question had paid bribes to Libyan officials, and the prosecution agreement would have barred them from bidding on government infrastructure projects for 10 years. So, yeah, it probably would have resulted in job losses, which was ostensibly what Trudeau was asking the justice minister to consider. 

 

Compared to the the likes of Trump its child's play, but we've let political affiliation rule everything. 

 

Was reading that it was actually multiple instances of him wearing blackface.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/americas/justin-trudeau-brownface-photo-canada/index.html

 

He seems to me like the classic politician from a political family.

 


Edited by godofdun, Oct 21 2019 - 17:14.


KilljoyCutter #41613 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

Alexa and Google Home "smart speakers" are horrible (the privacy and security risks just keep piling up):

 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/alexa-and-google-home-abused-to-eavesdrop-and-phish-passwords/

 

Meanwhile, on the state intrusiveness front, an effort to force the assumption of guilty until proven innocent into cars:

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/10/16/bill-would-require-new-vehicles-have-alcohol-detectors-fight-drunken-driving/

 

 


Edited by KilljoyCutter, Oct 21 2019 - 17:20.


godofdun #41614 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 15879 battles
  • 5,974
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

Supreme court abdicating oversight over gerrymandering again

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/466720-supreme-court-throws-out-challenge-to-michigan-electoral-map



KilljoyCutter #41615 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,686
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Oct 21 2019 - 11:15, said:

 

Yeap, was just reading about that.

 

Looks like it's up to the citizens in each state.

 

I wonder if a federal law restricting how districts can be drawn for federal congressional seats would be struck down -- even though such a ruling would contradict the ruling that states can't set term limits for federal congressional seats.


 


 



godofdun #41616 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 15879 battles
  • 5,974
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 21 2019 - 09:24, said:

 

Yeap, was just reading about that.

 

Looks like it's up to the citizens in each state.

 

I wonder if a federal law restricting how districts can be drawn for federal congressional seats would be struck down -- even though such a ruling would contradict the ruling that states can't set term limits for federal congressional seats.

 

 

Going to take quite the titanic effort, given that state districts get gerrymandered as well.  

I can also see that running up against the BUT STATES RIGHTS crowd, even if logically it's a federal law regarding federal districts.

 

Also, Brexit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50128740

The Commons Speaker has refused a government request to hold a "yes" or "no" vote on its Brexit deal.

John Bercow said a motion on the deal had been brought before MPs on Saturday, and it would be "repetitive and disorderly" to debate it again.

Saturday's sitting saw MPs vote to withhold approval of Boris Johnson's deal until it has been passed into law.

The government said it was disappointed, but would go ahead with introducing the necessary legislation.

He added: "The Speaker has yet again denied us a chance to deliver on the will of British people."

The UK is due to leave the EU in 10 days, and while Mr Johnson and fellow EU leaders have agreed a new deal to allow that to happen, it cannot come into force until it is approved by both the UK and European parliaments.


The government wanted to hold a "yes" or "no" vote - or so-called "meaningful vote" - on its deal on Saturday, but MPs instead chose to back an amendment tabled by former Tory Sir Oliver Letwin, which said that could not happen until all necessary Brexit legislation was passed.

That legislation - called the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB) - will be introduced later, but will then have to go through full parliamentary scrutiny in both the Commons and the Lords.

The SNP's Westminster leader, Ian Blackford, called on the government "not to bulldoze" it through Parliament and give time for "full scrutiny".



chickenfeetaretasty #41617 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 17:56

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 17298 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    10-01-2012

View Postgodofdun, on Oct 21 2019 - 16:10, said:

 

Was reading that it was actually multiple instances of him wearing blackface.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/americas/justin-trudeau-brownface-photo-canada/index.html

 

He seems to me like the classic politician from a political family.

 


Yes, I'd forgotten about he multiple other occasions he's worn blackface. One reporter(?) asked him "rounding to the nearest 5, how many times have you worn blackface," which is pretty funny. 

 

But yes, he's clearly from a political family and grew up with wealth, so all his platitudes about standing with the middle class are kind of nonsense. Also, he used to be a drama teacher, but he struggles to speak without um'ing and ah'ing every third word. Neither of which really impact the quality of his policies, but just illustrates what people are willing to ignore for political expediency.



The_Chieftain #41618 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 18:19

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 13785 battles
  • 9,916
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 21 2019 - 10:24, said:

 

Yeap, was just reading about that.

 

Looks like it's up to the citizens in each state.

 

I wonder if a federal law restricting how districts can be drawn for federal congressional seats would be struck down -- even though such a ruling would contradict the ruling that states can't set term limits for federal congressional seats.

 

 

Mmm. It's arguably something completely internal to the States, I'm not sure how 'interstate commerce' would be used for that.

 

With ref airlines, the idiots in Congress who set the mandatory minimum of 1,000 hours of stick time before being an Airline Pilot after the Buffalo crash haven't helped. There is no relevance to burning circles in a 172 for 500 hours to airline flying, but it's mandated, even at $140/hour, further increase the cost barrier to entry. You spend so much time and money getting the ATP, and at this time, it'll take years to earn it back.



Mermaid_Witch #41619 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 18:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 12927 battles
  • 13,917
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Oct 21 2019 - 12:19, said:

With ref airlines, the idiots in Congress who set the mandatory minimum of 1,000 hours of stick time before being an Airline Pilot after the Buffalo crash haven't helped. There is no relevance to burning circles in a 172 for 500 hours to airline flying, but it's mandated, even at $140/hour, further increase the cost barrier to entry. You spend so much time and money getting the ATP, and at this time, it'll take years to earn it back.

 

That's dumb.  If anything, they should be mandating more sim time with an airline company than more stick time in a Cessna. 



Tjtod #41620 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 19:19

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 1,995
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013





53 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 50 guests, 1 anonymous users


    Taiho, Apache1990