Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
42179 replies to this topic

KilljoyCutter #41641 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Oct 22 2019 - 10:48, said:

I freaking hate the "vague trailer" idea.  It doesn't make me want to go see the movie, it makes me want to beat the person who made the trailer with a baseball bat.  I mean, even a trailer about a murder mystery is less mysterious than this trailer.  At least with the murder mystery trailer you know what the movie is about.  This trailer?  Just some vague bullcrap spread over a series of movie shots.

I really wish JJ and his ilk would be banned from touching creative works.

The "mystery box" is raw stupidity.

godofdun #41642 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 17:48

Major

• Players
  • 15940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 22 2019 - 09:27, said:

I really wish JJ and his ilk would be banned from touching creative works.

The "mystery box" is raw stupidity.

It's an explanation of an idea or process that requires much more subtlety than JJ possesses.  You can have some mystery to what's in a movie without all this.  A good example is Annihilation from last year or the year before.  Great movie that the trailers didn't give away. 

PrimarchRogalDorn #41643 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 18:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

If the leaks are anything to go by, Episode 9 is going to make TLJ look like a well written masterpiece in comparison.

FrozenKemp #41644 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 19:10

Major

• Players
  • 54129 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
As far as I know people in Quebec have not fallen back in love with pursuing sovereignty, but the Bloc are useful as a "voice of Quebec" for people who don't want to vote for the other parties.

godofdun #41645 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 19:38

Major

• Players
  • 15940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostFrozenKemp, on Oct 22 2019 - 11:10, said:

As far as I know people in Quebec have not fallen back in love with pursuing sovereignty, but the Bloc are useful as a "voice of Quebec" for people who don't want to vote for the other parties.

Interesting, who do they normally ally with in terms of parliamentary politics?  They seem left adjacent based on a cursory google search.

FrozenKemp #41646 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 19:41

Major

• Players
  • 54129 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
I don't think they really ally with anyone per se but they are, as you say, "left adjacent". Quebec has in fact, I think a proportionately bigger labour movement than the rest of Canada, and lots of services. The climate strike in Montreal beggared the ones in the rest of the country.  (estimated 500k ppl) 

KilljoyCutter #41647 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 19:54

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Former envoy to Ukraine says he was told release of aid was contingent on public declaration to investigate Bidens, 2016 election

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/diplomat-who-raised-alarm-about-withholding-aid-to-ukraine-testifies-in-impeachment-probe/2019/10/22/086fb850-f436-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

Spoiler

chickenfeetaretasty #41648 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 17298 battles

Traditionally the Bloc Québécois advocated for social democratic policies but are a bit all over the place socially. They've abandoned the separatist sentiments this time around. Part of why they did so poorly last election was because Quebec voters have mostly decided that separation is no longer desirable, so a party founded on that issue is not really necessary.

So they've rebranded themselves on provincial sovereignty and "nationalism". The hot topic issue is a provincial law banning public servants from wearing religious symbols/garb. Supposedly it's to safeguard secularism, but small crucifixes are still ok (Quebec was predominantly. Roman Catholic I think). Problem is that despite this being against our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, provinces have a "notwithstanding clause" allo ing them to ignore individual parts as they see fit. If the Supreme Court strikes down ththe law, the premier has th option to give the courts the proverbial middle finger and keep enforcing the law, with no direct ramifications. The federal government can withhold funding or something to try and force the provinces to comply, and voters might take issue with it, but in this case the law is immensely popular in Quebec (and across Canada too for that matter).

The Liberals indicated they might sort of kinda maybe think about perhaps intervening, and the NDP leader made an even less firm commitment to that, so the Bloc capitalized on it and made that their defining feature: they'd fight for Quebec's interest against an overbearing federal government.

Quebecers didn't vote for conservatives this time around I think because Scheer was personally against abortions and gay marriage. Which seems a bit unfair, given that Trudeau said he was personally against abortion earlier, but I guess people figured his party was far less likely to open the debate again. Scheer was also advocating for expanded pipelines, which as FrozenKemp noted, goes against the interests of a large part of Quebec.

godofdun #41649 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:13

Major

• Players
  • 15940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Oct 22 2019 - 10:11, said:

If the leaks are anything to go by, Episode 9 is going to make TLJ look like a well written masterpiece in comparison.

How "accurate" were the leaks for the last 2 movies?

View PostFrozenKemp, on Oct 22 2019 - 11:41, said:

I don't think they really ally with anyone per se but they are, as you say, "left adjacent". Quebec has in fact, I think a proportionately bigger labour movement than the rest of Canada, and lots of services. The climate strike in Montreal beggared the ones in the rest of the country.  (estimated 500k ppl) 

Ah, they still have the French public rowdiness I see :P.

Someone else is having electoral issues.....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-politics-gantz/netanyahu-rival-gantz-to-be-named-wednesday-to-try-to-form-israeli-government-idUSKBN1X124Z

KilljoyCutter #41650 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Article on the Canadian election results:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/22/canada-elections-justin-trudeau-wins-narrow-victory-to-form-minority-government

PrimarchRogalDorn #41651 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Oct 22 2019 - 14:13, said:

How "accurate" were the leaks for the last 2 movies?

Ah, they still have the French public rowdiness I see :P.

Someone else is having electoral issues.....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-politics-gantz/netanyahu-rival-gantz-to-be-named-wednesday-to-try-to-form-israeli-government-idUSKBN1X124Z

8 was mostly accurate from what I could find although leaks weren't really confirmed until nearly the release date. 7 was effectively confirmed 6 months or so before it was released. If that's anything to go by, then Episode 9 is going to be simultaneously revolting and disappointing.

Shrike58 #41652 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 71210 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Oct 22 2019 - 14:39, said:

8 was mostly accurate from what I could find although leaks weren't really confirmed until nearly the release date. 7 was effectively confirmed 6 months or so before it was released. If that's anything to go by, then Episode 9 is going to be simultaneously revolting and disappointing.

That's. Just. Great. :sceptic:

Shrike58 #41653 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:16

Major

• Players
  • 71210 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 22 2019 - 08:02, said:

NPR's early analysis this morning was that:

* Trump served as a bit of a "populism vaccine" for a lot of centrist voters.

* Scheer's near-total dismissal of climate change as even a topic of concern turned off a lot of centrist voters.

E:  speaking of Trump, more polls are showing 50% or greater support for impeachment and removal.   Also, when the women on the recent spacewalk corrected Trump on it not being the first time a woman had been on a spacewalk, just the first time for an all-women spacewalk... he evidently tried to give them the stealth-bird with a middle-finger forehead scratch.

The chronic refusal of most right-of-center parties in the aggregate to take environmental matters seriously (I'd be happy to hear an exception) seems to be hard-wired right now.

Shrike58 #41654 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 71210 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 18 2019 - 09:23, said:

The only way to get what done?

(Not that I agree that government is the "ultimate insurer" in the first place, any more than corporations are.  No one should trust either one to take care of them, neither one ever has or ever will give an F about people.)

See also, unions.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-chicago-teachers-strike-kass-20191018-ml7tm2qgt5dftozyhth2z4rpta-story.html

If single-payer is what it takes to provide healthcare to the most possible people I have no trouble with this. Also, "nanny state" is so 1980s that you should really retire that phrase; just sayin'.

KilljoyCutter #41655 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:27

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostShrike58, on Oct 22 2019 - 15:21, said:

If single-payer is what it takes to provide healthcare to the most possible people I have no trouble with this. Also, "nanny state" is so 1980s that you should really retire that phrase; just sayin'.

I'd give my full support to a non-profit public option to compete with the vultures that make up most of the insurance industry.

Shrike58 #41656 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:35

Major

• Players
  • 71210 battles

Recent reading:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1441142509/ref=nosim/librarythin06-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1785655183/ref=nosim/librarythin06-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1473224314/ref=nosim/librarythin06-20

The first is, as advertised, a good undergrad survey of the evolution of armored warfare, but the author has remarkably little to say about the American experience; this becomes particularly glaring once one gets into the Cold War, the Post-Vietnam operational renaissance of the U.S. Army and the great military adventures into Iraq.

The second is a reasonably entertaining if somewhat derivative space opera; it still doesn't strike me as having been worthy of the British equivalent of the Hugo Award.

Finally, we have the latest addition to the long-running series of urban-fantasy police procedurals; only with a German accent.

Edited by Shrike58, Oct 22 2019 - 21:38.

Shrike58 #41657 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 71210 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Oct 22 2019 - 15:27, said:

I'd give my full support to a non-profit public option to compete with the vultures that make up most of the insurance industry.

Fair enough; particularly since the concept of the regulated public utility seems to have been totally forgotten.

LordCommanderMilitant #41658 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:42

Major

• Players
  • 8597 battles

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Oct 22 2019 - 17:11, said:

What's so bad about that? I read them, and they seem generically on the level of VII

Avalon304 #41659 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 22:09

Major

• Players
  • 23878 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Oct 22 2019 - 10:11, said:

Good lord if thats a true leak... we'd be better off just erasing 7-9 from history... because thats a terrible end to this terrible trilogy... we've rehashed A New Hope and Empire... so why not rehash Return too... except worse...

Edited by Avalon304, Oct 22 2019 - 22:16.

godofdun #41660 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 22:12

Major

• Players
  • 15940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostShrike58, on Oct 22 2019 - 13:37, said:

Fair enough; particularly since the concept of the regulated public utility seems to have been totally forgotten.

Would be nice for that to make a comeback.

View Postchickenfeetaretasty, on Oct 22 2019 - 12:05, said:

Traditionally the Bloc Québécois advocated for social democratic policies but are a bit all over the place socially. They've abandoned the separatist sentiments this time around. Part of why they did so poorly last election was because Quebec voters have mostly decided that separation is no longer desirable, so a party founded on that issue is not really necessary.

So they've rebranded themselves on provincial sovereignty and "nationalism". The hot topic issue is a provincial law banning public servants from wearing religious symbols/garb. Supposedly it's to safeguard secularism, but small crucifixes are still ok (Quebec was predominantly. Roman Catholic I think). Problem is that despite this being against our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, provinces have a "notwithstanding clause" allo ing them to ignore individual parts as they see fit. If the Supreme Court strikes down ththe law, the premier has th option to give the courts the proverbial middle finger and keep enforcing the law, with no direct ramifications. The federal government can withhold funding or something to try and force the provinces to comply, and voters might take issue with it, but in this case the law is immensely popular in Quebec (and across Canada too for that matter).

The Liberals indicated they might sort of kinda maybe think about perhaps intervening, and the NDP leader made an even less firm commitment to that, so the Bloc capitalized on it and made that their defining feature: they'd fight for Quebec's interest against an overbearing federal government.

Quebecers didn't vote for conservatives this time around I think because Scheer was personally against abortions and gay marriage. Which seems a bit unfair, given that Trudeau said he was personally against abortion earlier, but I guess people figured his party was far less likely to open the debate again. Scheer was also advocating for expanded pipelines, which as FrozenKemp noted, goes against the interests of a large part of Quebec.

Ya I don't know as much about the parties/individuals in question but it does make sense that a conservative government would be more likely to make a move on abortion/gay marriage than a liberal one, regardless of Trudeau's past personal preference.

Sounds like the line between "protecting secularism" and "violating religious liberty" is getting pretty thin.

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Oct 22 2019 - 12:39, said:

Hmm, interesting.  Some of that leaked plot seems fine, others (like that beginning and the whole palpatine thing ugh) seem terrible.

View PostShrike58, on Oct 22 2019 - 13:16, said:

The chronic refusal of most right-of-center parties in the aggregate to take environmental matters seriously (I'd be happy to hear an exception) seems to be hard-wired right now.

The abandonment of conservation from conservatism is a very sad state of affairs.

41 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users