Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
42770 replies to this topic

KilljoyCutter #42021 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 16:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,829
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

Jim Jordan isn't just an idiot, he's also got a history of putting loyalty above basic human decency and the most fundamental notions of justice.

 

That he'd provide dogged cover for Trump and Co should be no shock, when he was willing to provide cover for a known sexual predator.


 



Mermaid_Witch #42022 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 17:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 13077 battles
  • 14,079
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Nov 21 2019 - 10:31, said:

Also, for the party that is supposed to be so much about honoring service members they sure turned on that guy at the drop of a hat.

 

Wearing dress uniform when doing something as formal as testifying before congress?  Must be a stunt.

Doing his job as part of our foreign policy apparatus?  Nope, we're going to subtly, or not so subtly, hint that he's got dual loyalties.

 

They only appreciate service members when said members keep their mouths shut and pose for the camera like a good little monkey.  The second the service members say or do anything inconvenient, the gloves can safely come off.



Taiho #42023 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 17:39

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles
  • 692
  • Member since:
    01-10-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 21 2019 - 09:56, said:

I've read the spoilers... I wasn't impressed.

 

To me it came across as EAware writing a continuation of the story for the Jedi Knight and maybe Sith Warrior... and then saying "eh, good enough, that'll work for everyone".  What I read doesn't fit most of the other characters, especially the non-Force-users.

 

I'm playing through it on my Inquisitor, and given what happens in her class storyline, I'm scratching my head at why I can't do anything about the ghost in my head. And where my power base went in the Empire. All I really got was a couple lines that part of it was lost during the assaults by the Eternal Empire, and the rest vanished out into the Mid Rim or something. And now, with an alliance forming with me at the head, they still haven't reappeared. :/ Also, I agree on that it feels more like a force user storyline than anything else. But you can't shove in various class companions wherever you want in that storyline if they're still with their companion, so one size fits all storyline~.

 

Another annoyance I'm running into with playing through it is that it keeps going. Finish a chapter, next chapter immediately starts. Finish KotET, KotFE immediately starts. It's not like the class missions where you go to a specific place or use your holocoms to start the next class mission, it's right into the cutscene for the next chapter and just constantly rolling forward. And frequently, the missions aren't ones where you have to go to a destination personally; instead, you cutscene to the destination once you leave conversation.



KilljoyCutter #42024 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 18:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,829
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostTaiho, on Nov 21 2019 - 11:39, said:

 

I'm playing through it on my Inquisitor, and given what happens in her class storyline, I'm scratching my head at why I can't do anything about the ghost in my head. And where my power base went in the Empire. All I really got was a couple lines that part of it was lost during the assaults by the Eternal Empire, and the rest vanished out into the Mid Rim or something. And now, with an alliance forming with me at the head, they still haven't reappeared. :/ Also, I agree on that it feels more like a force user storyline than anything else. But you can't shove in various class companions wherever you want in that storyline if they're still with their companion, so one size fits all storyline~.

 

Another annoyance I'm running into with playing through it is that it keeps going. Finish a chapter, next chapter immediately starts. Finish KotET, KotFE immediately starts. It's not like the class missions where you go to a specific place or use your holocoms to start the next class mission, it's right into the cutscene for the next chapter and just constantly rolling forward. And frequently, the missions aren't ones where you have to go to a destination personally; instead, you cutscene to the destination once you leave conversation.

 

That forced, linear, go go go "progression" was another thing I read about that I didn't like.

 

And yeah, the Inquisitor is the force-user that really doesn't cram well into the new stories... they have to ignore a lot of what came before, "because the plot demands it".  It's narrative causality on full display.


 


 



Mermaid_Witch #42025 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 19:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 13077 battles
  • 14,079
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011
Benjamin Netanyahu has been indicted on charges of bribery and fraud.  He has decided the best defense is to play the Trump card and claim the entire thing is a politically-orchestrated witch hunt by the Left and their fake news media allies.

cipher12 #42026 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 19:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 11752 battles
  • 7,481
  • Member since:
    11-17-2011

In other news the Tory party creates fake fact checker, pays google to promote its fake version of Labours manifesto website, and received £200,000 in donations from the former Russian finance minsters wife.

 

Stop the world I wanna get off.



FrozenKemp #42027 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 20:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 55029 battles
  • 10,289
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
They also temporarily renamed their twitter account to something like "UKFactCheck".

Mermaid_Witch #42028 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 20:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 13077 battles
  • 14,079
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postcipher12, on Nov 21 2019 - 13:40, said:

In other news the Tory party creates fake fact checker, pays google to promote its fake version of Labours manifesto website, and received £200,000 in donations from the former Russian finance minsters wife.

 

Stop the world I wanna get off.

 

No offense to the Conservatives who hang out here, but why does it seem that every freaking Conservative party these days is totally on board with the whole authoritarianism thing?



Shrike58 #42029 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 20:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 71828 battles
  • 8,883
  • Member since:
    02-23-2013

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 14:13, said:

 

No offense to the Conservatives who hang out here, but why does it seem that every freaking Conservative party these days is totally on board with the whole authoritarianism thing?

 

Because for years they claimed to be populists when they were really the same old plutocratic apologists and now they're afraid that they're going to be eaten alive by real populists (some of who have paper-thin separation from actual neo-fascists).

 

One can, of course, make this much more complicated but I think that works as the elevator pitch!



SpectreHD #42030 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 20:26

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17071 battles
  • 17,411
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 22 2019 - 03:13, said:

 

No offense to the Conservatives who hang out here, but why does it seem that every freaking Conservative party these days is totally on board with the whole authoritarianism thing?

 

I don't know but from what I see of US politics, it is the opposite of the Conservatives that are the authoritarian ones. Maybe it is who I watch (refer to the YT vid I posted in the previous page) but I am sick and tired of the "tolerant" left going my way or the highway, playing identity politics, filled with 'outrage mobs' and propping 'cancel culture'. 


Edited by SpectreHD, Nov 21 2019 - 20:28.


KilljoyCutter #42031 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 20:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 26,829
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 14:13, said:

 

No offense to the Conservatives who hang out here, but why does it seem that every freaking Conservative party these days is totally on board with the whole authoritarianism thing?

 

 

For the same reason that Leftists are on board with it when they're on the decline or when the authoritarians are pushing something that looks superficially Leftist.   See leftist college students wearing Che, Mao, and Fidel T-shirts unironically in the 80s and 90s.   See Bernie Sanders desperately trying to contrive a way to blame "capitalism" and "imperialism" and such for Chaves and Maduro's failures and crimes.

 

And because they've abandoned most of their ideals in the name of "owning the libs" and winning elections.


 


 



Mermaid_Witch #42032 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 00:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 13077 battles
  • 14,079
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

So, yeah.  Kathleen Kennedy has apparently gone on the record as saying that it's really tough to write new Star Wars because there's no 800 page novels or comic books to base the stories off of. 



FrozenKemp #42033 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 01:16

    Major

  • Players
  • 55029 battles
  • 10,289
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 18:09, said:

So, yeah.  Kathleen Kennedy has apparently gone on the record as saying that it's really tough to write new Star Wars because there's no 800 page novels or comic books to base the stories off of. 

 

Orrrr you could hire some of those writers?!? [edited]'s sake.

 

I never got around to buying Mur Lafferty's novelisation of Solo but I bet it's better than the movie because she's a good writer.



Avalon304 #42034 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 01:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 24502 battles
  • 10,392
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 16:09, said:

So, yeah.  Kathleen Kennedy has apparently gone on the record as saying that it's really tough to write new Star Wars because there's no 800 page novels or comic books to base the stories off of. 

 

If only they hadnt made literally all of that stuff just irrelevant... jesus... I think anyone could have called that making the entire EU legends wouldnt actually work out that well in the end...



Mermaid_Witch #42035 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 01:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 13077 battles
  • 14,079
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 21 2019 - 19:29, said:

 

If only they hadnt made literally all of that stuff just irrelevant... jesus... I think anyone could have called that making the entire EU legends wouldnt actually work out that well in the end...

 

Personally, if I had just bought a beloved franchise for 6 billion dollars, you can bet the first thing I would do is get a list of like 6 or 7 really good Science Fiction authors.  I would take these authors, put them in a room, and say "it's been 30 years since Return of the Jedi.  You can do anything you want, but it has to be PG-13 and it has to bleed Star Wars."  Let them spitball something good out, and for god's sake plan the entire damn thing before you start shooting Episode 7.



godofdun #42036 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:16

    Major

  • Players
  • 15999 battles
  • 6,009
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View Postcipher12, on Nov 21 2019 - 11:40, said:

In other news the Tory party creates fake fact checker, pays google to promote its fake version of Labours manifesto website, and received £200,000 in donations from the former Russian finance minsters wife.

 

Stop the world I wanna get off.

 

Ick, if the Torys are willing to go there, what is Farage going to be willing to do?



Avalon304 #42037 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 24502 battles
  • 10,392
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 17:53, said:

 

Personally, if I had just bought a beloved franchise for 6 billion dollars, you can bet the first thing I would do is get a list of like 6 or 7 really good Science Fiction authors.  I would take these authors, put them in a room, and say "it's been 30 years since Return of the Jedi.  You can do anything you want, but it has to be PG-13 and it has to bleed Star Wars."  Let them spitball something good out, and for god's sake plan the entire damn thing before you start shooting Episode 7.

 

Honestly my plan wouldnt have included any Episode 7 8 or 9. That story was finished quite well in the 6 we got (even if 1, 2 and 3 were a bit rubbish). My plan would ahve included making stories from the EU canon where possible. The X-Wing series, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, I, Jedi, and other fantastic stories. And yes, eventually classic characters would need to be recast, but thats really ok if done right.



godofdun #42038 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 15999 battles
  • 6,009
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 21 2019 - 18:19, said:

 

Honestly my plan wouldnt have included any Episode 7 8 or 9. That story was finished quite well in the 6 we got (even if 1, 2 and 3 were a bit rubbish). My plan would ahve included making stories from the EU canon where possible. The X-Wing series, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, I, Jedi, and other fantastic stories. And yes, eventually classic characters would need to be recast, but thats really ok if done right.

 

I generally like recasting much more than the CG monstrosities in Rogue One.

 

Also, at least congress can agree on this:

https://www.axios.com/hong-kong-protestors-bill-house-senate-trump-china-5b2e47d9-8362-41d7-be96-0ba83eac9d6e.html



Avalon304 #42039 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 24502 battles
  • 10,392
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View Postgodofdun, on Nov 21 2019 - 18:42, said:

 

I generally like recasting much more than the CG monstrosities in Rogue One.

 

Also, at least congress can agree on this:

https://www.axios.com/hong-kong-protestors-bill-house-senate-trump-china-5b2e47d9-8362-41d7-be96-0ba83eac9d6e.html

 

I think theres somethign to be said for the CG when its supposed to be taking place inbetween two already existing things (though I would try to avoid that situation in the first place) but for things occuring after already established events recasting is much better.



cipher12 #42040 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 04:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 11752 battles
  • 7,481
  • Member since:
    11-17-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Nov 22 2019 - 02:16, said:

 

Ick, if the Torys are willing to go there, what is Farage going to be willing to do?


Probably nothing.They served their purpose to their Russian/Billionaire masters and now the Tories have taken the reigns theres not much use for them.






32 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 30 guests, 1 anonymous users


    Avalon304