Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
42694 replies to this topic

Taiho #42041 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 05:55

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 21 2019 - 20:19, said:

Honestly my plan wouldn't have included any Episode 7 8 or 9. That story was finished quite well in the 6 we got (even if 1, 2 and 3 were a bit rubbish). My plan would have included making stories from the EU canon where possible. The X-Wing series, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, I, Jedi, and other fantastic stories. And yes, eventually classic characters would need to be recast, but thats really ok if done right.

I feel like, if you were wanting to "pass the torch" to a new generation of SW characters, something like adapting NJO for Ep7-9 would've been the way to go. Or maybe more something like that Fate of the Jedi novel arc regarding Abeloth, which would allow a tie-in back to the Mortis arc in Clone Wars.

X-wing novel series as a series. Book 1 is season 1. Take the time to let the characters grow, connect with each other, etc over the first season so people care about the squadron members. Then Season 2 is book 2-3, and season 3 is book 4. Dunno how I'd split the Wraith Squadron trio of books.

Avalon304 #42042 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 10:24

Major

• Players
  • 24331 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostTaiho, on Nov 21 2019 - 21:55, said:

X-wing novel series as a series. Book 1 is season 1. Take the time to let the characters grow, connect with each other, etc over the first season so people care about the squadron members. Then Season 2 is book 2-3, and season 3 is book 4. Dunno how I'd split the Wraith Squadron trio of books.

Id personally want to do movies of the X-wing series, even if they would work better as a TV series... that being said, the original Wraith Trilogy would work as a movie trilogy (even though there are 4 Wraith Squadron books in the X-wing series now). Isard's Revenge and Starfighters of Adumar would work as films either way, but Id really want a 4-movie series for the first 4 as well.

SpectreHD #42043 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 13:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17071 battles
  • [TT] TT

If I could give the Star Wars rein to Avalon and/or the others here, I would. The current state of Star Wars is proof that current management have no clue.

The Star Wars universe could be as epic as the MCU, despite all its faults, but it isn't.

LordCommanderMilitant #42044 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 20:00

Major

• Players
  • 8597 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Nov 22 2019 - 12:58, said:

If I could give the Star Wars rein to Avalon and/or the others here, I would. The current state of Star Wars is proof that current management have no clue.

The Star Wars universe could be as epic as the MCU, despite all its faults, but it isn't.

Honestly, I like the Star Wars universe much better than the MCU. That said, I'm also biased because I like spaceships and don't really like superheroes very much.

My issue with the newest movies is that they didn't set it up right. I feel like episode 7 should have been the rise of the first order and show how the new republic fell, then episodes 8 and 9 be how the new players get back to their feet to defend against the first order. Because they didn't set it up, it just feels like repeats of the originals with new special effects rather than a smooth continuation of the story.

Edited by LordCommanderMilitant, Nov 22 2019 - 20:02.

KilljoyCutter #42045 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 20:10

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Nov 22 2019 - 14:00, said:

Honestly, I like the Star Wars universe much better than the MCU. That said, I'm also biased because I like spaceships and don't really like superheroes very much.

My issue with the newest movies is that they didn't set it up right. I feel like episode 7 should have been the rise of the first order and show how the new republic fell, then episodes 8 and 9 be how the new players get back to their feet to defend against the first order. Because they didn't set it up, it just feels like repeats of the originals with new special effects rather than a smooth continuation of the story.

That's all the "new" movies are, especially ep 7 -- a thinly veiled rehash of the same story (Disney nostalgia grab) with a JJ Abrams style and "better" SFX.

SpectreHD #42046 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 21:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17071 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Nov 23 2019 - 03:00, said:

I wasn't specific but what I meant was the Star Wars cinematic universe, not the actual Star Wars universe itself. So a mostly well planned story or overall arching story that takes a few movies to flesh out and culminating in a large battle.

Yeah, the issue with the new movies is that it is too similar to 4, 5, and 6. What annoys me is we never got to see the Jedi Council remade and taking an active role in the government. I personally would like to see most of the Empire military wise being assimilated into the Republic thanks to Luke and Leia while there is a large chunk of the Empire that resisted from joining the Republic but not hostile. So think of another large faction with large influence over certain sections of the SW galaxy. The Sith would be a known threat that works with extreme fringe remnants of the old Empire. I dunno. Just something I would like to see. Same SW but with more inter-group mixed in.

But at this point I don't care. From what I heard, ep. 8 is a mess. Best to just write off Star Wars. At least the movies. I hear The Mandalorian is actually good.

Edited by SpectreHD, Nov 22 2019 - 21:04.

Mermaid_Witch #42047 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 21:59

Major

• Players
  • 13039 battles
In theory, I like the idea behind the Disney trilogy.  Drop in 30 years later and see what's going on in the Galaxy.  The problem is, they took the laziest possible route to make a "story".  There's hundreds of ways they could have taken the story, but instead they just decide to rehash what's already been done. 

Mermaid_Witch #42048 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 13039 battles
Huh.  I just noticed there's a M551 Sheridan at a little museum around 5 miles from my house.  Expect pictures in a few days.

Taiho #42049 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 05:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles

Earlier this week I ordered new RAM for my older PC in order to bring it up to 16GB and future proof it for some stuff for the next 5+ years I'd be having it continue to chug along. Picked it up today and went to swap them out. I noted that I probably needed to remove the video card to get the RAM out, so did that without issue. I went to remove the fan from the CPU heat sink (part of that assembly would've made it a pain/impossible to get a stick into the last RAM slot), only to discover the entire thing was a single unit. Swapped the RAM out, but did not have more thermal paste.

Ended up making a run into town to get a tube of paste. Thankfully youtube came to my aid on figuring out how much paste I needed, and after a couple reboots everything is working fine. PC reads 16GB of RAM, and a 3 hour session of Cities: Skylines had the CPU stay below 50C, so I did that right.

Apache1990 #42050 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 09:47

Major

• Players
  • 35614 battles

View PostTaiho, on Nov 24 2019 - 00:57, said:

Ended up making a run into town to get a tube of paste. Thankfully youtube came to my aid on figuring out how much paste I needed, and after a couple reboots everything is working fine. PC reads 16GB of RAM, and a 3 hour session of Cities: Skylines had the CPU stay below 50C, so I did that right.

The secret is that pretty much any amount of thermal paste above 0 ( and below "squishing out all over the board" ) usually does the job fine, if you're not doing some kind of crazy overclocking.  Heatsink-CPU seal is pretty tight, so doesn't take much more than a medium-dot (or your preferred paste application shape) to fill in the space.

Avalon304 #42051 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 10:07

Major

• Players
  • 24331 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostApache1990, on Nov 24 2019 - 01:47, said:

The secret is that pretty much any amount of thermal paste above 0 ( and below "squishing out all over the board" ) usually does the job fine, if you're not doing some kind of crazy overclocking.  Heatsink-CPU seal is pretty tight, so doesn't take much more than a medium-dot (or your preferred paste application shape) to fill in the space.

This is pretty much the answer. General size is a rice to pea sized amount on the center of the CPU. But you can do an X or a + or a smiley face if you want, so long as it doesnt spill over the sides

Tjtod #42052 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 14:15

Major

• Players
  • 6540 battles
Three super hornets flew over where I was working yesterday.

DerViktim #42053 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 14:46

Major

• Players
  • 18344 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostTaiho, on Nov 23 2019 - 23:57, said:

Earlier this week I ordered new RAM for my older PC in order to bring it up to 16GB and future proof it for some stuff for the next 5+ years I'd be having it continue to chug along. Picked it up today and went to swap them out. I noted that I probably needed to remove the video card to get the RAM out, so did that without issue. I went to remove the fan from the CPU heat sink (part of that assembly would've made it a pain/impossible to get a stick into the last RAM slot), only to discover the entire thing was a single unit. Swapped the RAM out, but did not have more thermal paste.

The surfaces of the heat spreader plate and the CPU cooler are actually fairly coarse. The natural grain of the metal leaves lots of little gaps between the two surfaces (we're talking at the microscopic level here). Thermal paste helps to fill in those little gaps in the metal grain to increase the functional surface area for thermal transfer. Too much paste, in addition to making a mess, will end up negatively impacting thermal transfer by acting as an insulator. One of the tricks overclockers use to get better heat transfer is to polish the CPU heat spreader plate and the cooler surfaces. I wouldn't recommend doing either unless you are into extreme overclocking as the gains are marginal and you really need to know what you are doing. Otherwise you run the risk of causing damage to the CPU and cooler.

In all honesty you can use a cooler without thermal paste. The slightly less efficient thermal transfer (because of lower surface area) would mean you would run a couple degrees hotter but you aren't going to run the risk of damaging anything unless you are running an aggressive overclock. You would probably loose a bit of boost duration to thermal throttling without thermal paste on a modern CPU running at stock speeds.

Edited by DerViktim, Nov 24 2019 - 14:47.

Shrike58 #42054 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 71784 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 21 2019 - 18:09, said:

So, yeah.  Kathleen Kennedy has apparently gone on the record as saying that it's really tough to write new Star Wars because there's no 800 page novels or comic books to base the stories off of. 

Corporate intellectual property is like a black hole; light enters never to leave. That is to say that to really broaden out this literary universe you'd have to bring in some top-flight talent and they'd actually demand a fair share; the horror, the horror!

Edited by Shrike58, Nov 24 2019 - 18:22.

KilljoyCutter #42055 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 18:34

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostShrike58, on Nov 24 2019 - 12:08, said:

Corporate intellectual property is like a black hole; light enters never to leave. That is to say that to really broaden out this literary universe you'd have to bring in some top-flight talent and they'd actually demand a fair share; the horror, the horror!

Corporate IP is definitely on the list of things I'd overhaul.

Copyright and patents were meant to encourage creativity and protect the rights of individuals to fair returns from their efforts -- not to prop up content mills perpetually.

Mermaid_Witch #42056 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 22:48

Major

• Players
  • 13039 battles

Well, just applied for a job at the call center i quit from in 2014.  For those of you who don't remember, the days working there went something like this.  But no one else will give trash like me the time of day when I send in a job application.  So they're basically the only place i haven't tried

KilljoyCutter #42057 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

You're not trash.

Taiho #42058 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 04:55

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles

View PostShrike58, on Nov 24 2019 - 12:08, said:

you'd have to bring in some top-flight talent

Behind the scenes of the development of the sequel trilogy:

DerViktim #42059 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 18344 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Now I know what Clarkson, Hammond, and May have been up to. NSFW, there's an F-Bomb in the middle of the video.

KilljoyCutter #42060 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 16:05

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

As long as this is what we're paying ridiculous bloated prices for, no amount of insurance reform or medicare-for-all will make things any better.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/25/health/indiana-surgical-patients-exposed-virus/index.html

"More than a thousand surgical patients at Goshen Hospital in Indiana may have been exposed to HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B after an error in the sanitizing procedure for surgical equipment, according to a press release from Goshen Health."

The problem isn't that people don't have insurance, it's that the prices are so predatory that they can't be paid without insurance, while the product sucks.

41 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mermaid_Witch, cipher12, Taiho, Tjtod