Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
44061 replies to this topic

godofdun #42681 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 19:49

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Part of Ahtifas issue stem from how diffuse it is.  From what I understand an antifa group has little to no connection to any other.  Bad in the sense that it let's in those that really are just looking to cause trouble, good in the sense that no larger body can tell the "Antifa of Akron, Ohio" or whatever to do or that it is "too Anarchist" or "not Anarchist enough".

On that, I don't agree with Anarchists or anti-private property people either, but they aren't violent by definition.

KilljoyCutter #42682 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 19:49

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Jan 17 2020 - 13:41, said:

So are you telling me those things didn't happen and I am wrong and all the things shown about them are fake?

I guess them Antifa members going to jail for assault charges sure must be doing good going after actual fascists whom don't actually come out into the open.

To be fair it's more complicated that that, and a lot of that nonsense comes from the communists and anarchists who mix in with the focused, dedicated anti-fascists.

godofdun #42683 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 20:09

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Speaking of antifa I thought this was interesting:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akwv4k/why-antifa-is-siding-with-thousands-of-pro-gun-conservatives-in-virginia

"When gun lovers rally in front of the Virginia Capitol in Richmond next week, the local chapter of antifa will be there too. But their members won’t be wearing all black, and they don’t plan to douse right-wingers in milkshakes or Silly String.

Instead, local antifa will join thousands of conservatives who are expected to descend on Richmond that day in protesting pending gun-control legislation introduced by Democratic lawmakers.

Antifa Seven Hills, based in Richmond, are opposing the slew of gun bills introduced by the newly Democratic Legislature since November, because they say those types of laws are used primarily to criminalize poor people, minorities, and leftists — and to bolster law enforcement’s power."

KilljoyCutter #42684 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 21:07

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 17 2020 - 14:09, said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akwv4k/why-antifa-is-siding-with-thousands-of-pro-gun-conservatives-in-virginia

"When gun lovers rally in front of the Virginia Capitol in Richmond next week, the local chapter of antifa will be there too. But their members won’t be wearing all black, and they don’t plan to douse right-wingers in milkshakes or Silly String.

Instead, local antifa will join thousands of conservatives who are expected to descend on Richmond that day in protesting pending gun-control legislation introduced by Democratic lawmakers.

Antifa Seven Hills, based in Richmond, are opposing the slew of gun bills introduced by the newly Democratic Legislature since November, because they say those types of laws are used primarily to criminalize poor people, minorities, and leftists — and to bolster law enforcement’s power."

That's the kind of consistency in principle and position that I can appreciate from activists.

(See, in contrast, the ACLU's inconsistency... some would say hypocrisy... on which entries in the Bill of Rights they care to fight for...)

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Jan 17 2020 - 21:08.

Mermaid_Witch #42685 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Nov 15 2017 - 16:53, said:

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Nov 15 2017 - 16:00, said:

Another trip to Bovington coming up. May prove to be my last for quite a while. Any requests for ITCH?

You know you want to.

Edit:  Or, you know, do an ITCH about the Chieftain. 

Huh.  Putting in requests really does pay off.

KilljoyCutter #42686 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Somehow I missed that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be first-person only, not third-person or even optional.  Oh well, I didn't need to get interested in another video game, this is probably for the best.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66427/cyberpunk-2077-work-third-person-cdpr/index.html

First-person is just motion sickness waiting to happen for me.  And I greatly prefer the broader perspective on what's going on around the character that third-person provides.  I don't want to be looking directly through the character's eyes, I want to see their feet and what's directly behind them.  First-person is supposedly more immersive, but it's not, it feels like experiencing the world through a tiny porthole -- the third-person view replaces information that a real person is getting through touch and hearing and such, that you don't get from a video game on a screen.

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Jan 17 2020 - 22:39.

Mermaid_Witch #42687 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 00:07

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 17 2020 - 16:35, said:

Somehow I missed that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be first-person only, not third-person or even optional.  Oh well, I didn't need to get interested in another video game, this is probably for the best.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66427/cyberpunk-2077-work-third-person-cdpr/index.html

First-person is just motion sickness waiting to happen for me.  And I greatly prefer the broader perspective on what's going on around the character that third-person provides.  I don't want to be looking directly through the character's eyes, I want to see their feet and what's directly behind them.  First-person is supposedly more immersive, but it's not, it feels like experiencing the world through a tiny porthole -- the third-person view replaces information that a real person is getting through touch and hearing and such, that you don't get from a video game on a screen.

It'll probably have some really invasive DRM spyware in it anyways. 

Cruiser_Katori #42688 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 01:52

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 17 2020 - 10:09, said:

That event? I'll be shocked if it doesn't turn into a PR disaster for all liberty-oriented folks everywhere, because all the cameras will focus on five guys with a naughty flag or something. And then the banners will use it as an excuse to ban more, just like they're already making hay of the existing, ahem, *slight unrest*.

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 17 2020 - 12:35, said:

Meh, there'll probably be a mod for that. It IS somewhat surprising though, given how much they talk about character customization. 

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 17 2020 - 14:07, said:

Aaand thanks for the cold shower.

What's the bet that there will be DRM you have to bypass in-game as some sort of minigame or something?

KilljoyCutter #42689 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 02:28

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 17 2020 - 18:07, said:

It's from the makers of the Witcher series, so I figured it would be garbage-free, which just makes this more disappointing.

Tjtod #42690 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 03:14

Major

• Players
  • 6540 battles

CDPR has pretty hard stance on no DRM, they also run GOG  which is DRM free iirc.

Cruiser_Katori #42691 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 04:16

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

In case anyone didn't know how various suppressor designs may mechanically differ and wanted to know, here's a fun video on the mechanics of a handgun-mounted firearm muffler.

Have to say, I LIKE that FA-capable Maxim-9. NFA 1934, please go bye-bye sooner than later...

Avalon304 #42692 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 04:22

Major

• Players
  • 24935 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 17 2020 - 16:07, said:

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 17 2020 - 18:28, said:

It's from the makers of the Witcher series, so I figured it would be garbage-free, which just makes this more disappointing.

Nah. It probably wont.

View PostTjtod, on Jan 17 2020 - 19:14, said:

CDPR has pretty hard stance on no DRM, they also run GOG  which is DRM free iirc.

Yep, GOG is part of the CD Projekt group. They are against DRM on their games.

KilljoyCutter #42693 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 04:50

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 17 2020 - 22:22, said:

Nah. It probably wont.

Yep, GOG is part of the CD Projekt group. They are against DRM on their games.

What I started out with was the fact that it will be first-person only... which is all the more disappointing because it's one of the rare games I could have gotten that's sure to be DRM free, and probably telemetry/spyware free.

Cruiser_Katori #42694 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 05:15

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

...Damn, I just realized you have Best Oni in your signature art. You truly are of Culture.

Star Trek Online news: Dranaur project queue is completed, save for the optional "planter" dillithum dump. Also completed a different project recently, can't remember which one but it was one of the bigger ones IIRC. Used the Free Ship to get the Romulan multi-faction carrier, the one that looks like Rusty Cybertruck meets Flying Flapjack in a bar. I'll review it once I've finished leveling up The Flying Klingon.

Zergling #42695 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 06:36

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Whelp, completed my move to new house. Finally I can relax a bit!

godofdun #42696 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 20:29

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 17 2020 - 13:07, said:

That's the kind of consistency in principle and position that I can appreciate from activists.

(See, in contrast, the ACLU's inconsistency... some would say hypocrisy... on which entries in the Bill of Rights they care to fight for...)

Peoples politics are never a smooth, formless mass.  Everyone decides where and when they think freedom from and freedom to supersede one another for themselves and that answer might be different based on the issue.

As an aside on the gun issue there is a non-zero portion of the Marxist left that isn't in favor of gun control either.  There's some Marx quote about workers needing to be armed, or their rights to be armed not being infringed and needing to be protected by force if necessary or something along those lines.  So 2A people might have more allies left of center than they think they do.

View PostTjtod, on Jan 17 2020 - 19:14, said:

Exactly, this isn't EA or Activision or something.

On the first person thing, I do prefer first person and do find it more immersive, but especially given the developer it is somewhat surprising that the option isn't there.

View PostZergling, on Jan 17 2020 - 22:36, said:

Whelp, completed my move to new house. Finally I can relax a bit!

Congrats!

Mermaid_Witch #42697 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles
Mmk.  Magia Record, episode 3.  So far it's sticking pretty close to the source material.  The only gripe I currently have is that (spoilers)
Spoiler

For added fun, a certain girl showed up after the credits. So it appears that the show will stick closely enough to the source material to include the Mitakihara City girls from the original series. 

I can't help but wonder how many episodes this is planned for.  I can't really see them getting all the way through the story line in just 12 episodes.  Not without severely picking up the pace or starting to cut out large swaths of the story.  I mean, we're at episode 3 so far and we still haven't met 3 of the protagonists.

Edited by Mermaid_Witch, Jan 19 2020 - 00:13.

FrozenKemp #42698 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 00:29

Major

• Players
  • 55962 battles
Reminds me of fantasy novels where you start to think 3/4 of the way through the book, "how is the author going to wrap this all up?" and then they don't, because it's part of a series but it doesn't say so ANYWHERE. :(

Mermaid_Witch #42699 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 00:47

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jan 18 2020 - 18:29, said:

Reminds me of fantasy novels where you start to think 3/4 of the way through the book, "how is the author going to wrap this all up?" and then they don't, because it's part of a series but it doesn't say so ANYWHERE. :(

That's always "fun" isn't it?

KilljoyCutter #42700 Posted Jan 19 2020 - 00:52

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Block Quote

Peoples politics are never a smooth, formless mass.  Everyone decides where and when they think freedom from and freedom to supersede one another for themselves and that answer might be different based on the issue.

As an aside on the gun issue there is a non-zero portion of the Marxist left that isn't in favor of gun control either.  There's some Marx quote about workers needing to be armed, or their rights to be armed not being infringed and needing to be protected by force if necessary or something along those lines.  So 2A people might have more allies left of center than they think they do.

Gun control in the US was, at one point, grotesquely racist and classist.

If the 2A movement in the US could disentangle itself from the goofier and darker elements of the "right", they might get a lot of mileage out of making common cause with other civil liberties and civil rights causes.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tjtod, Mermaid_Witch, cipher12