Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
44061 replies to this topic

Cruiser_Katori #42721 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 07:43

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 20 2020 - 15:06, said:

NPR interviewed some of the "but that can't be a gun rights nut!" people who were at the rally, including a woman and an African-American person.

I wonder if the "racist sexist bigoted old white rednecks" knew they were there.

:sceptic:

Don't forget homophobic, can't have firearms without being homophobic. On a related note, when my previous girlfriend said that, I asked her how a homophobic lesbian is supposed to work.

...That didn't work out too well. Not that I mind TOO much, honestly. And speaking of Le Rally:

Spoiler

I understand that it's terribly unlikely, but can we please annex Hong Kong, assuming we could A) get an unbuggered vote on it and B) they actually said yes? I'm pretty sure we could get along with them better than the current overlords that they have.

On a darker note, I just learned about the "Clearview AI" Stalker Assistant App. I think I need to renew my CPL posthaste if that sort of monstrosity has any remote chance of being "in the wild".

EDIT:

Immune cell which kills most cancers discovered by accident by British scientists in major breakthrough.

Block Quote

...In laboratory studies, immune cells equipped with the new receptor were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer.

If this stuff ends up being something that "works as advertised", and can be mass-produced...

F**K CANCER!

Edited by Cruiser_Katori, Jan 21 2020 - 07:56.

SpectreHD #42722 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 09:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17072 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 21 2020 - 06:34, said:

Welp, seems the Richmond Rally managed to not turn into a proverbial Charge of the Light Brigade, against much of my expectations. Now, to watch the aftermath, though I doubt the totalitarians will get the message even WITH leftists lining up alongside rightists, antifa alongside christian right types; truly, they really do "remember everything and learn nothing".

Of course, just because someone is to the right side of the left, including centrists or moderate doesn't make them all the "deplorables" or whatever "-ists/isms" which those on the left love to classify anyone that don't fall in line with them as. Heck, they even cleaned up after themselves.

Spoiler

KilljoyCutter #42723 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

And never mind all the times David Hogg tries to play the victim card to silence other people...

It's understandable that "the American left" wants to claim the intellectual, moral, and ideological high ground given what's become of the GOP in the last 25-30 years, but if they want to, then they need to actually act like it.  Chirping about "rights" while routinely trampling on them doesn't make one a champion, it makes one a hypocrite.

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Jan 21 2020 - 19:28.

KilljoyCutter #42724 Posted Jan 21 2020 - 21:29

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

The reality of the Silicon Valley economy, and the dark side of the "engines of growth", tech and cities.

https://newrepublic.com/article/156202/silicon-valley-economy-here-its-nightmare

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/upshot/wealth-poverty-divide-american-cities.html

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Jan 21 2020 - 22:51.

Cruiser_Katori #42725 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 03:21

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Jan 20 2020 - 23:18, said:

Of course, just because someone is to the right side of the left, including centrists or moderate doesn't make them all the "deplorables" or whatever "-ists/isms" which those on the left love to classify anyone that don't fall in line with them as. Heck, they even cleaned up after themselves.

Spoiler

...Whoopsie, looks like you committed a Badthink there, Comrade! That's double-plus ungood, you know? Remember, Big Brother loves you when you put unpatriotic propaganda into the conveniently located memory holes!

Which is probably why such scenes are getting avoided en masse by anyone and everyone with an agenda to push.

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 21 2020 - 04:25, said:

And never mind all the times David Hogg tries to play the victim card to silence other people...

It's understandable that "the American left" wants to claim the intellectual, moral, and ideological high ground given what's become of the GOP in the last 25-30 years, but if they want to, then they need to actually act like it.  Chirping about "rights" while routinely trampling on them doesn't make one a champion, it makes one a hypocrite.

THIS. Especially while letting proper criminals of various stripes get away with crimes that produce actual victims, and then punishing those who mostly keep to themselves. Then again, I just described darn near every politician, didn't I? 

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 21 2020 - 11:29, said:

Can confirm, I live near one of the "tech hubs". It's kind of like Ravenholm... I try not to go there. 

EDIT: Speaking of hubs:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/case-of-wuhan-coronavirus-detected-in-washington-state-first-in-united-states/

Damnit.

Edited by Cruiser_Katori, Jan 22 2020 - 03:58.

Mermaid_Witch #42726 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 13:51

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles
Terry Jones has died.

Shrike58 #42727 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 14:12

Major

• Players
  • 72678 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 21 2020 - 08:25, said:

A fair statement...as ghastly as the GOP has become no one has a monopoly on being a sanctimonious ninny.

Shrike58 #42728 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 14:16

Major

• Players
  • 72678 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 17 2020 - 13:49, said:

Part of Ahtifas issue stem from how diffuse it is.  From what I understand an antifa group has little to no connection to any other.  Bad in the sense that it let's in those that really are just looking to cause trouble, good in the sense that no larger body can tell the "Antifa of Akron, Ohio" or whatever to do or that it is "too Anarchist" or "not Anarchist enough".

On that, I don't agree with Anarchists or anti-private property people either, but they aren't violent by definition.

True...but if there is anything resembling a hard-left in the ol' U.S. of A these days it's the street-fighting types in their ranks.

Edited by Shrike58, Jan 22 2020 - 14:22.

Shrike58 #42729 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 14:17

Major

• Players
  • 72678 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jan 18 2020 - 18:29, said:

Reminds me of fantasy novels where you start to think 3/4 of the way through the book, "how is the author going to wrap this all up?" and then they don't, because it's part of a series but it doesn't say so ANYWHERE. :(

Don't you hate that when it happens!

Shrike58 #42730 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 14:20

Major

• Players
  • 72678 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 18 2020 - 18:52, said:

Gun control in the US was, at one point, grotesquely racist and classist.

If the 2A movement in the US could disentangle itself from the goofier and darker elements of the "right", they might get a lot of mileage out of making common cause with other civil liberties and civil rights causes.

Have always been a little surprised that the right to privacy hasn't spawned more related law in other human activities.

godofdun #42731 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 15:40

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 21 2020 - 13:29, said:

The reality of the Silicon Valley economy, and the dark side of the "engines of growth", tech and cities.

https://newrepublic.com/article/156202/silicon-valley-economy-here-its-nightmare

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/upshot/wealth-poverty-divide-american-cities.html

People being close together does provide unique opportunities for them to be exploited, but that's more on the exploiter than anything else.  Need to actually start cracking down on the ways they can exploit their workers and the rent seeking in general.

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 22 2020 - 05:51, said:

Noooooo.  We did know it was coming because of the dementia, but still.

KilljoyCutter #42732 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 16:03

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostShrike58, on Jan 22 2020 - 08:20, said:

Have always been a little surprised that the right to privacy hasn't spawned more related law in other human activities.

I'd be very happy to see a direct statement of the right to privacy added as an Amendment, and then laws passed that apply that standard to non-government entities.

KilljoyCutter #42733 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 16:07

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

"Rent seeking" -- I actually consider things like "software as a service/rental" and "we need to replace private car ownership with ride-sharing and short-term leases" to be new forms of "rent seeking" behavior, where the companies involved are seeking guaranteed income streams while providing no new or actual benefit for the increased costs over time to the users.

godofdun #42734 Posted Jan 22 2020 - 18:06

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 22 2020 - 08:07, said:

"Rent seeking" -- I actually consider things like "software as a service/rental" and "we need to replace private car ownership with ride-sharing and short-term leases" to be new forms of "rent seeking" behavior, where the companies involved are seeking guaranteed income streams while providing no new or actual benefit for the increased costs over time to the users.

The shoe certainly fits for most of the "live service" model being pushed in games now, or "fee to pay" to borrow from Jim Sterling.

Cruiser_Katori #42735 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 06:55

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 22 2020 - 03:51, said:

Well... I guess we have to look on the Bright Side of Life, perhaps? After all, he lives on across swathes of published and Internet media.

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 22 2020 - 06:03, said:

I'd be very happy to see a direct statement of the right to privacy added as an Amendment, and then laws passed that apply that standard to non-government entities.

Careful... You remove the read-write protections from the Constitution and BoR, and I guaran-effing-tee you that it will be gutted within an hour. Less if anyone with a totalitarian bent know's it's going to be opened up.

KilljoyCutter #42736 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 14:18

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 23 2020 - 00:55, said:

Well... I guess we have to look on the Bright Side of Life, perhaps? After all, he lives on across swathes of published and Internet media.

Careful... You remove the read-write protections from the Constitution and BoR, and I guaran-effing-tee you that it will be gutted within an hour. Less if anyone with a totalitarian bent know's it's going to be opened up.

I was thinking of an actual amendment, with all that entails in making it happen, not about just slapping in a line.

KilljoyCutter #42737 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 22 2020 - 12:06, said:

The shoe certainly fits for most of the "live service" model being pushed in games now, or "fee to pay" to borrow from Jim Sterling.

Given how little consumer pushback there seems to be against the "software as a disservice" model, what if anything can be done to get us back to a purchased product model?

godofdun #42738 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 23 2020 - 08:04, said:

Given how little consumer pushback there seems to be against the "software as a disservice" model, what if anything can be done to get us back to a purchased product model?

It's probably got to be part of something larger like a push for critical thinking/epistemology to be a standard part of school curriculum.  Also in general we would want our populace to be less.....placid, pliable.  We don't need to necessarily be as rowdy in the streets as the French, but being less inclined to hide in our homes and take what they give us or allow us to have would be good.  "...but first you've got MAD" and all.

I wonder how much social media is to blame, screaming into the void in that way makes people feel as if they are accomplishing something but the interests that keep that status quo can simply ignore them.

KilljoyCutter #42739 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 23 2020 - 11:50, said:

It's probably got to be part of something larger like a push for critical thinking/epistemology to be a standard part of school curriculum.  Also in general we would want our populace to be less.....placid, pliable.  We don't need to necessarily be as rowdy in the streets as the French, but being less inclined to hide in our homes and take what they give us or allow us to have would be good.  "...but first you've got MAD" and all.

I wonder how much social media is to blame, screaming into the void in that way makes people feel as if they are accomplishing something but the interests that keep that status quo can simply ignore them.

It doesn't help that when someone does express any sort of displeasure or upset about these sorts of things, they're either told they're ignorant of the facts and how awesome the "new way" is, or that they're "afraid of change", or that they should be upset about something "more important".

godofdun #42740 Posted Jan 23 2020 - 19:24

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 23 2020 - 09:59, said:

It doesn't help that when someone does express any sort of displeasure or upset about these sorts of things, they're either told they're ignorant of the facts and how awesome the "new way" is, or that they're "afraid of change", or that they should be upset about something "more important".

It doesn't, but if crapSandwich Maker can convince people that not only is there nothing else available to eat outside of their supply of crapsandwiches, and if anyone complains or searches for other alternatives that the access to those sandwiches will no longer be granted and the people will starve.  People will then fight for that continued supply of crapsandwiches and even exclaim how good they taste.  The fearful people that have been fooled are troublesome, but the real villain is still the crapSandwich Maker.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tjtod, Mermaid_Witch, cipher12