Planes, Trains and T110s

• Please log in to reply
44061 replies to this topic

Cruiser_Katori #42741 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 23 2020 - 04:18, said:

I was thinking of an actual amendment, with all that entails in making it happen, not about just slapping in a line.

That's exactly the issue, I'm afraid. IIRC, any addition of an amendment requires a HUGE margin (2/3rds of House and Senate), or a Constitutional Convention. A Convention could be used to open up everything else to a thorough wrecking, and I sincerely doubt any proposed amendment is going to get 2/3rds of the whole Congress in support with the way those rats have been acting on both sides; if anything, the State legislatures would probably call a Convention only so they could attack whichever sections they felt were most inconvenient to them. 'Tis seems we're long up a certain creek, and do so happen to be fresh out of paddles.

View Postgodofdun, on Jan 23 2020 - 07:50, said:

It's probably got to be part of something larger like a push for critical thinking/epistemology to be a standard part of school curriculum.  Also in general we would want our populace to be less.....placid, pliable.  We don't need to necessarily be as rowdy in the streets as the French, but being less inclined to hide in our homes and take what they give us or allow us to have would be good.  "...but first you've got MAD" and all.

I wonder how much social media is to blame, screaming into the void in that way makes people feel as if they are accomplishing something but the interests that keep that status quo can simply ignore them.

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 23 2020 - 07:59, said:

It doesn't help that when someone does express any sort of displeasure or upset about these sorts of things, they're either told they're ignorant of the facts and how awesome the "new way" is, or that they're "afraid of change", or that they should be upset about something "more important".

Don't forget that participation means potentially not going to work, possibly even loss of civil rights. And all THAT entails. For example, think of all the people who DIDN'T participate in the Richmond Rally for fear of it turning into an absolute disaster, or all the folks who don't lobby their Congresscritters because they're either afraid of being outed and trampled or are simply too busy. Unfortunately, we've actually managed to create a pretty damn effective fear-and-disincentivization-based security state to do The Party proud.

KilljoyCutter #42742 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 03:11

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

So your concern is that once the Convention had been called for the purpose of proposing a Privacy amendment, other things would be proposed?  I'm not sure if that would fly, since the 2/3 of the states required to call the Convention in the first place are likely calling it to consider a specific question.

And even then, 3/4 of the states then have to ratify the resulting amendment.

Cruiser_Katori #42743 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 06:03

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles
KJC, I wish I could share your optimism. However, we have the NSA and all that jazz, we have the "Patriot" Act, we passed Prohibition once upon a time, we STILL have The War on Drugs, we have "Red Flag" laws popping up all over the place, just to name a few. We just have this delightful history as a nation of eroding the protections for our natural rights as beings at every step, and I don't see how "this time" would be any different. "If it save ONE life!", and all that jazz... Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'd **** it up. FFS, we manage to **** up "...Shall not be infringed", WITHOUT allowing for edits by all the "do good" types out there.

KilljoyCutter #42744 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 13:56

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 24 2020 - 00:03, said:

KJC, I wish I could share your optimism. However, we have the NSA and all that jazz, we have the "Patriot" Act, we passed Prohibition once upon a time, we STILL have The War on Drugs, we have "Red Flag" laws popping up all over the place, just to name a few. We just have this delightful history as a nation of eroding the protections for our natural rights as beings at every step, and I don't see how "this time" would be any different. "If it save ONE life!", and all that jazz... Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'd **** it up. FFS, we manage to **** up "...Shall not be infringed", WITHOUT allowing for edits by all the "do good" types out there.

That doesn't really go to my question, however.

CAN someone bring up a bunch of unrelated stuff, if the states call a Convention on the matter of a specific amendment?  If 2/3 of the states vote to hold a Convention on the matter of a privacy amendment, can a bunch of unrelated stuff be proposed, or is the Convention restricted to that one matter?

godofdun #42745 Posted Jan 24 2020 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 16122 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

As usual, cruelty is part of the design.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/01/district-attorneys-raise-concerns-about-treatment-of-migrant-teens-at-a-virginia-juvenile-hall/

"Antonio hadn’t broken the law, but his detention in Virginia felt like a punishment: Once, when he got in a fight with an American kid who taunted him, he says staffers restrained him by tying him to a chair for four hours, allegedly hitting him while he sat there. Over a year and a half at Shenandoah, Antonio (not his real name) says he was tied to the chair about five times. In court documents, he recounted that staffers who restrained him would sometimes put a bag over his head, meant to deter biting or spitting. “It had small holes that I could see out of, but only a little,” he said.

Several other immigrants recalled similar scenarios. A boy from Honduras described his time in the chair as almost suffocating. “When you’re in crisis, the bag is the least helpful thing—it’s scary,” he said, adding that he had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder before arriving in Virginia. A third teen recalled peeing his pants while restrained in the chair."

Also, Brexit has Brexited.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51244126

Apache1990 #42746 Posted Jan 25 2020 - 00:46

Major

• Players
  • 35883 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 24 2020 - 08:56, said:

CAN someone bring up a bunch of unrelated stuff, if the states call a Convention on the matter of a specific amendment?  If 2/3 of the states vote to hold a Convention on the matter of a privacy amendment, can a bunch of unrelated stuff be proposed, or is the Convention restricted to that one matter?

It's hard to say, since there has never been an Article 5 Convention to amend the constitution.  Without precedent, the results could be unprecedented (sorry, :P).

Cruiser_Katori #42747 Posted Jan 25 2020 - 01:59

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 24 2020 - 03:56, said:

View PostApache1990, on Jan 24 2020 - 14:46, said:

It's hard to say, since there has never been an Article 5 Convention to amend the constitution.  Without precedent, the results could be unprecedented (sorry, :P).

This. It's pretty much uncharted territory. Even if there WERE rules, we all know they'd only be followed as long as they were convenient. Same (probably) for whatever was originally intended to be voted on.

STO Fleet Stuff Updoot: I've finished a bunch of stuff. Halp switch projects over on blank things, pretty please?

Ah, rainy season... A bunch of lines leading to my plant are leaky AF, meaning that flows normally in the 0.2 MGD range are now in the 0.4-0.6 MGD range. Plant design capacity: about 0.4 MGD. Result: most of the inflow is rainwater, mud, and earthworms. More importantly my reactors are just about (hydraulically) critical, and are about to (hydraulically) overload (cue Atom the Holy Hellraven's Nuclear Fusion OST). If this keeps up, we're going to have a containment failure over here (More Okuu Music). Heck, I heard one of the nearby city plants already had a breach of about 50K-100K gallons (that paperwork's gonna be fun, glad it isn't ME). As such...

(Scotty voice) ...We're givin' it all we got, but we're dealin' with failing equipment across the board! Our distribution's shot, we can only process so much flow atta time, an' without our sensors a wee few o' our systems are runnin' on manual! We cannae take anna'more or much longer a'fore she blows the process!

Ah, that felt good. Also, please remember to keep your Public Works in good condition!

EDIT: Well, this is NOT reassuring...

"Virus-hit Wuhan has two laboratories linked to Chinese bio-warfare program."

Delightful. How could it possibly get... 

"China Silences Critics Over Deadly Virus Outbreak."

...Worse.

Well, as much as I'd like to move to the US equivalent of Iceland (Unalaska comes to mind...), it seems it might be a wee bit late for that...

EDIT 2: Holy heck, seems Magical Girls (at least some of them) have an iron stomach. I mean, ketchup, what appears to be candy sprinkles, and a meatball, on THAT?!

*gagging noises*

Edited by Cruiser_Katori, Jan 25 2020 - 20:42.

Mermaid_Witch #42748 Posted Jan 25 2020 - 21:31

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Jan 24 2020 - 19:59, said:

EDIT 2: Holy heck, seems Magical Girls (at least some of them) have an iron stomach. I mean, ketchup, what appears to be candy sprinkles, and a meatball, on THAT?!

*gagging noises*

That's was a cute reference.  In the mobile game there's several references to her being horribly deficient at cooking.

Cruiser_Katori #42749 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 01:40

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 25 2020 - 11:31, said:

That's was a cute reference.  In the mobile game there's several references to her being horribly deficient at cooking.

"Horribly deficient"?! I dare say, you are far to kind. In my humble opinion, that girl is able to out-do Shipfu Saber, the Kongo Bongos, and Slime-san's Shion in the disgusting entrees department, by virtue of turning normally delicious, pre-made items (or at least acceptable, for the ketchup) into a veritable barf serum of doom. Goodness, I felt slightly ill watching her MAKE it. Through the protection of the pixels! No wonder Totally Not Homura enlisted the help of Crossbow Madoka and Black Wok Fire Fans to perform her errand: I'm guessing she's got a stash she keeps on her person, to ensure she doesn't ever lack critical supplies around that terror poisonmaster. I'd hate to know what the other references are like...

*le shudder*

Tjtod #42750 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 02:20

Major

• Players
  • 6540 battles
On the note of disgusting foods in anime, Soma and Joichiro do make disgusting food sometimes while being very good at cooking so they don't really count.

KilljoyCutter #42751 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles
That's pretty much my reaction to most cruciferous vegetables.

Mermaid_Witch #42752 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 20:31

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 26 2020 - 11:01, said:

What, you don't like Broccoli?

Mermaid_Witch #42753 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

Kobe Bryant apparently just died in a helicopter crash

Oh, and allegedly all four of his daughters were on the helicopter with him.  No survivors. 

avenue94 #42754 Posted Jan 26 2020 - 23:35

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40616 battles
  • [7AD33] 7AD33

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 26 2020 - 12:15, said:

Oh, and allegedly all four of his daughters were on the helicopter with him.  No survivors. 

Supposedly only one of his daughters, although that's not exactly good news. And now I get to edit an obit since I work for a smaller media outlet in L.A. and we didn't have any prewritten ones. What a morbid week.

Cruiser_Katori #42755 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 00:41

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostTjtod, on Jan 25 2020 - 16:20, said:

On the note of disgusting foods in anime, Soma and Joichiro do make disgusting food sometimes while being very good at cooking so they don't really count.

...Aren't they from that anime with the over-the-top foodgasm reactions and whatnot?

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 26 2020 - 07:01, said:

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 26 2020 - 10:31, said:

What MW said. Or are you saying you like putting ketchup, meatballs, and candy sprinkles on them?

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 26 2020 - 11:15, said:

Block Quote

"...Other eyewitnesses told celebrity news site TMZ they heard the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down."

Sounds like the pilot wasn't able to pull off an autorotation landing, because that's what you try to do when the engine goes. Given that it went right up apparently, perhaps there was just enough torque coming off it to throw off the pilot? Regardless, one of the reasons I do try to avoid flying in things that were never meant to fly. Up North, we used to have accidents every so often, almost as if they were a reminder or something.

More dreary news:

Wuhan-chan may be able to spread during the incubation period.

Fortunately, it seems this stuff isn't TOO lethal: official numbers from China are something like 2,000 infected with 50 dead. Of course, that's the official numbers; knowing China, it could be a lot worse without anyone, including the censors disappearing the information, being the wiser.

KilljoyCutter #42756 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 01:46

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 26 2020 - 14:31, said:

Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, quite a few others.

Evidently I have the semi-rare receptor that makes them smell and taste like someone is boiling garbage in sewer water.

Mermaid_Witch #42757 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 02:24

Major

• Players
  • 13446 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 26 2020 - 19:46, said:

Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, quite a few others.

Evidently I have the semi-rare receptor that makes them smell and taste like someone is boiling garbage in sewer water.

Did not know that was a thing. 

KilljoyCutter #42758 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 03:16

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Jan 26 2020 - 20:24, said:

Did not know that was a thing.

It is a thing... now consider that broccoli cheddar soup is on how many menus... broccoli fresh or boiled or steamed is a standard side in a lot of restaurants... broccoli is in most veggie platters you can get premade... and this cauliflower "rice" and "flour" thing is catching on...

LordCommanderMilitant #42759 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 04:06

Major

• Players
  • 8597 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 27 2020 - 02:16, said:

It is a thing... now consider that broccoli cheddar soup is on how many menus... broccoli fresh or boiled or steamed is a standard side in a lot of restaurants... broccoli is in most veggie platters you can get premade... and this cauliflower "rice" and "flour" thing is catching on...

You don't have to buy or eat that though. There's always other things on the menu.

I like broccoli and green vegetables. I detest fruits. I just eat the things I want, and ask them not to include things I don't like.

Edited by LordCommanderMilitant, Jan 27 2020 - 04:07.

Cruiser_Katori #42760 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 04:52

Major

• Players
  • 13246 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 26 2020 - 17:16, said:

Sounds like the cilantro receptor dealie; is it related?

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Jan 26 2020 - 18:06, said:

You don't have to buy or eat that though. There's always other things on the menu.

I like broccoli and green vegetables. I detest fruits. I just eat the things I want, and ask them not to include things I don't like.

It becomes an issue when the ingredients aren't all listed on the menu. IIRC, even in states where allergens and whatnot have to be listed by law, last I checked most states don't consider broccoli to be an allergen, so it wouldn't always be listed. Also, IIRC mustard is part of that family; how many super-duper common spice mixes use it. Point is, sometimes it's hard to avoid that stuff. Heck, I don't know how many times I've checked a label and found wheat and/or milk in some random product where you'd never expect it. Hate when that happens.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tjtod, Mermaid_Witch