Jump to content


Planes, Trains and T110s


  • Please log in to reply
45378 replies to this topic

Zergling #43961 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 02:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011
New peak deaths in the USA today, 742 for the day so far and it's not over yet.

SpectreHD #43962 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 03:14

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17077 battles
  • 17,585
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View Postakh101, on Apr 01 2020 - 03:18, said:


That or there contract with SEGA states they can't releases it out side of Asia servers, but then again consoles and mobile got them with out much trouble, so I think more the WG side of things, even then back wend there being labeled as OP tank they sure got power creep badly in last 2 to 3 years by other tanks.

 

Yeah, even The_Chieftain says it is licensing and what not but it is just speculation. So no concrete excuse why they shouldn't sell it. Just WG deciding to have some misplaced historical integrity suddenly in their fantasy tank game.


Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 01 2020 - 04:59.


PrimarchRogalDorn #43963 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 04:18

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,918
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

Found another photo of the #34 MC8R (chassis 002, 1997 spec)

Looks like it was taken fairly recently but I've got no idea when exactly.


Edited by PrimarchRogalDorn, Apr 01 2020 - 04:41.


godofdun #43964 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 05:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 16271 battles
  • 6,400
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-job-losses-could-total-47-million-unemployment-rate-of-32percent-fed-says.html

 

"Economists at the Fed’s St. Louis district project total employment reductions of 47 million, which would translate to a 32.1% unemployment rate, according to a recent analysis of how bad things could get.

The projections are even worse than St. Louis Fed President James Bullard’s much-publicized estimate of 30%. They reflect the high nature of at-risk jobs that ultimately could be lost to a government-induced economic freeze aimed at halting the coronavirus spread."



KilljoyCutter #43965 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 05:44

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 27,533
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Mar 31 2020 - 23:03, said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-job-losses-could-total-47-million-unemployment-rate-of-32percent-fed-says.html

 

"Economists at the Fed’s St. Louis district project total employment reductions of 47 million, which would translate to a 32.1% unemployment rate, according to a recent analysis of how bad things could get.

The projections are even worse than St. Louis Fed President James Bullard’s much-publicized estimate of 30%. They reflect the high nature of at-risk jobs that ultimately could be lost to a government-induced economic freeze aimed at halting the coronavirus spread."

 

From later in the article: 

 

"...and they do not estimate the impact of recently passed government stimulus, which will extend unemployment benefits and subsidize companies for not cutting staff."  

 

But that sort of big red glowing caveat hasn't stopped CNBC, aka the Stock Market Channel, from hammering the drum of economic apocalypse so far.  

 



Apache1990 #43966 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 06:01

    Major

  • Players
  • 36555 battles
  • 7,117
  • [TACF] TACF
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View PostSpectreHD, on Mar 31 2020 - 22:14, said:

Yeah, even The_Chieftain says it is licensing and what not but it is just speculation. So no concrete excuse why they shouldn't sell it. Just WG deciding to have some misplaced historical integrity suddenly in their fantasy tank game.

 

It probably is that sort of thing to be honest.  Trademarked content collaboration usually has to be negotiated again if you're going to have a separate release later on.

(See pretty much every mobile game that runs collab events ever.)



SpectreHD #43967 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 07:07

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17077 battles
  • 17,585
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostApache1990, on Apr 01 2020 - 13:01, said:

 

It probably is that sort of thing to be honest.  Trademarked content collaboration usually has to be negotiated again if you're going to have a separate release later on.

(See pretty much every mobile game that runs collab events ever.)

 

Probably now so. But if they had release it here the moment they released it at the SEA server then it may have been possible.

 

That said, doesn't stop WG from selling/releasing the Fury multiple times now.



Avalon304 #43968 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 07:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 25320 battles
  • 11,055
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostApache1990, on Mar 31 2020 - 22:01, said:

 

It probably is that sort of thing to be honest.  Trademarked content collaboration usually has to be negotiated again if you're going to have a separate release later on.

(See pretty much every mobile game that runs collab events ever.)

 

This in addition to the fact that each platform and region is likely its own separate thing when it comes to matter of licensing and distribution. If the agreements says "PC (Asia Only), Console (Worldwide) and Mobile (Worldwide)" then any releases other than that would have to be renegotiated.

 

View PostSpectreHD, on Mar 31 2020 - 23:07, said:

 

Probably now so. But if they had release it here the moment they released it at the SEA server then it may have been possible.

 

That said, doesn't stop WG from selling/releasing the Fury multiple times now.

 

And they likely had to renegotiate the rights to Fury to be able to do that.



SpectreHD #43969 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 07:22

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17077 battles
  • 17,585
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 01 2020 - 14:08, said:

This in addition to the fact that each platform and region is likely its own separate thing when it comes to matter of licensing and distribution. If the agreements says "PC (Asia Only), Console (Worldwide) and Mobile (Worldwide)" then any releases other than that would have to be renegotiated.

 

And they likely had to renegotiate the rights to Fury to be able to do that.

 

So WG is going through all the trouble to renegotiate the many re-releases of a Tier 6 American medium multiple times that is the titular tank in a movie with Brad Pitt. Somehow I doubt it.

 

Even if it were so, I find it extremely silly they couldn't do the same for the VC tanks. Good 'ol greedy WG not negotiating for the other PC regions? Lol.


Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 01 2020 - 07:38.


Avalon304 #43970 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 07:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 25320 battles
  • 11,055
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostSpectreHD, on Mar 31 2020 - 23:22, said:

 

So WG is going through all the trouble to renegotiate the many re-releases of a Tier 6 American medium multiple times that is the titular tank in a movie with Brad Pitt. Somehow I doubt it.

 

Even if it were so, I find it extremely silly they couldn't do the same for the VC tanks. Good 'ol greedy WG not negotiating for the other PC regions? Lol.

 

No they likely renegotiated it once for rights to rerelease the tank. Likely for a period of years, rather than the original license which appeared to only allow for the release as a tie in with the movie.

 

Also this just in: It takes two companies to negotiate licensing agreements. It also requires there to be a viable market in regions to be negotiated for. And as much as you or I might hate to admit it and as much as we want the VC tanks here there doesnt appear to be a market for them thats large enough to warrant having to pay SEGA for the rights to distribute the tanks here and in EU and on RU.



Apache1990 #43971 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 07:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 36555 battles
  • 7,117
  • [TACF] TACF
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View PostSpectreHD, on Apr 01 2020 - 02:22, said:

So WG is going through all the trouble to renegotiate the many re-releases of a Tier 6 American medium multiple times that is the titular tank in a movie with Brad Pitt. Somehow I doubt it.

 

Even if it were so, I find it extremely silly they couldn't do the same for the VC tanks. Good 'ol greedy WG not negotiating for the other PC regions? Lol.

 

For Fury, they may have just gotten the rights to sell it as much as they want (especially since it's a Sherman tank in a WW2-ish tank game).  Maybe they even get a small royalty per unit sold, it's hard to say.

 

Other game companies tend to like to keep tighter control on their properties, to make sure they're only used certain ways and such for various reasons.



SpectreHD #43972 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 11:34

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17077 battles
  • 17,585
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 01 2020 - 14:49, said:

 

No they likely renegotiated it once for rights to rerelease the tank. Likely for a period of years, rather than the original license which appeared to only allow for the release as a tie in with the movie.

 

Also this just in: It takes two companies to negotiate licensing agreements. It also requires there to be a viable market in regions to be negotiated for. And as much as you or I might hate to admit it and as much as we want the VC tanks here there doesnt appear to be a market for them thats large enough to warrant having to pay SEGA for the rights to distribute the tanks here and in EU and on RU.

 

VC was one of the best games to be released on the PS3 very early on in the PS3's life. And considering the larger NA, EU and RU servers compared to the Asia server, I would say comparatively there would be enough of a market for those vehicles. Furthermore there is a good portion of the WoT community into anime even in Russia so from the standpoint of market interest, I say there is a sizable amount especially considering the size of the other servers to the Asia server. But somehow a Tier 6 American medium can garner enough market interest. Sorry but I just don't buy it.

 

But at the end of the day we will never know because no one has given an actual reason. And if WG themselves didn't get permission for the other servers, that is quite a silly mistake from them considering how they'd release and butcher anything for a quick buck.


Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 01 2020 - 11:59.


Avalon304 #43973 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 12:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 25320 battles
  • 11,055
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostSpectreHD, on Apr 01 2020 - 03:34, said:

 

VC was one of the best games to be released on the PS3 very early on in the PS3's life. And considering the larger NA, EU and RU servers compared to the Asia server, I would say comparatively there would be enough of a market for those vehicles. Furthermore there is a good portion of the WoT community into anime even in Russia so from the standpoint of market interest, I say there is a sizable amount especially considering the size of the other servers to the Asia server. But somehow a Tier 6 American medium can garner enough market interest. Sorry but I just don't buy it.

 

But at the end of the day we will never know because no one has given an actual reason. And if WG themselves didn't get permission for the other servers, that is quite a silly mistake from them considering how they'd release and butcher anything for a quick buck.

 

My dude... Valkyria Chronicles sold 33,000 in 2008 when it released in NA. Thats terrible for a video game on a console at release. It was a good game, and got great reviews, but it sold terribly in NA (and even in Japan it only sold 77,000 copies on its initial release with an additional 81,000 after they lowered the price on it and released an anime based on it). Its PC rerelease did far better, but across all platforms, since its release the game has only sold just a little under 2 million copies (the majority of these are from Steam). Those are low sales numbers for a game thats a decade+ old and has has a major rerelease on PC and 2 out of 3 current gen consoles.

 

Meanwhile Fury did $23 million on its opening weekend... and has done something like $200 million since it came out in 2014. Just doing quick math, Fury has made double the money as VC has in half the time. Fury also has the benefit of being far more related to WoT than a tank from VC does.

 

One of these things has a large audience, the other does not. I want Edelweiss too, and Id drop big money on it, but the audience doesnt appear to be there to make the licensing costs worth it, and it was only barely there in SEA.



Mermaid_Witch #43974 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 13:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 13728 battles
  • 14,435
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 01 2020 - 06:53, said:

One of these things has a large audience, the other does not. I want Edelweiss too, and Id drop big money on it, but the audience doesnt appear to be there to make the licensing costs worth it, and it was only barely there in SEA.

 

And the audience was there for a Warhammer 40k KV-2?  The only reason that sold was because it was a freaking premium KV-2.  Personally,  I believe that if there's enough of a market for Wargaming to think hopping into bed with Games Workshop is a good idea, then there's enough market for Edelweiss.



SpectreHD #43975 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 13:59

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17077 battles
  • 17,585
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 01 2020 - 19:53, said:

 

My dude... Valkyria Chronicles sold 33,000 in 2008 when it released in NA. Thats terrible for a video game on a console at release. It was a good game, and got great reviews, but it sold terribly in NA (and even in Japan it only sold 77,000 copies on its initial release with an additional 81,000 after they lowered the price on it and released an anime based on it). Its PC rerelease did far better, but across all platforms, since its release the game has only sold just a little under 2 million copies (the majority of these are from Steam). Those are low sales numbers for a game thats a decade+ old and has has a major rerelease on PC and 2 out of 3 current gen consoles.

 

Meanwhile Fury did $23 million on its opening weekend... and has done something like $200 million since it came out in 2014. Just doing quick math, Fury has made double the money as VC has in half the time. Fury also has the benefit of being far more related to WoT than a tank from VC does.

 

One of these things has a large audience, the other does not. I want Edelweiss too, and Id drop big money on it, but the audience doesnt appear to be there to make the licensing costs worth it, and it was only barely there in SEA.

 

You only addressed the first sentence in my post.

 

For a new IP, it seems like a decent earning enough to spawn 4 sequels. But since it is such a poor earner, you would think it'd be cheaper to get the licensing to release the tanks over all regions compared to a tank that was in a major movie with Brad Pitt in it.

 

And the market is definitely there for the VC tanks for the simple fact that the anime community exists in all regions. So we get those that know the game, those who know the anime, those who like anime in general and those who would get it because those are vehicles that do look unique and have WW2 aesthetics. Then you add in the larger server sizes compared to the Asia server and we have a market.

 

Plus Blitz/consoles have them and they are available regardless of region. So literally no excuse. Enough defending WG. If WG didn't secure the license to sell those on the NA, EU and RU server (and it'd be really idiotic if they didn't) then they should and I doubt it would cost WG much to do so since VC didn't sell well.


Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 01 2020 - 14:04.


Tjtod #43976 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 14:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 2,042
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013


godofdun #43977 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 15:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 16271 battles
  • 6,400
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Mar 31 2020 - 21:44, said:

 

From later in the article: 

 

"...and they do not estimate the impact of recently passed government stimulus, which will extend unemployment benefits and subsidize companies for not cutting staff."  

 

But that sort of big red glowing caveat hasn't stopped CNBC, aka the Stock Market Channel, from hammering the drum of economic apocalypse so far.  

 

 

That's fair, but 3.3 million jobs last week and we don't want to overestimate the measures congress is doing where the rubber meets the road.  So is it as bad as that Fed projection? No, but it's certainly some large percentage of that decrease.  50%? 30%? 75%? We'll find out.



LordCommanderMilitant #43978 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 15:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 8597 battles
  • 3,316
  • Member since:
    01-20-2014

View PostMermaid_Witch, on Apr 01 2020 - 12:40, said:

 

And the audience was there for a Warhammer 40k KV-2?  The only reason that sold was because it was a freaking premium KV-2.  Personally,  I believe that if there's enough of a market for Wargaming to think hopping into bed with Games Workshop is a good idea, then there's enough market for Edelweiss.

 

To be fair, Warhammer 40k is probably bigger than most specific anime shows. I've heard estimates that there are a couple hundred thousand [like 300k-600k] "active 40k players", with another 7 million copies of Dawn of War sold, plus a lot of tangentially aware people since it's the largest IP in it's genre and they do quite a bit of "outreach". And I'm surprised that they even did the WH40k crossover in the first place.

 

Also, the KV-2 tank thing is pretty much generic with just a skin, that's pretty much just a passing reference to IG and doesn't look out of place even if you don't recognize it, so it's still desirable to people who don't care or don't know about 40k. Adding a Leman Russ tank in as a permanent addition probably wouldn't do that well [and would probably also be met with opposition].

 

I can see why they wouldn't do the a whole tank, not just a skin, release again. I'm more surprised that they don't have skins for Girls Und Panzer, because that seems like an obvious relationship.


Edited by LordCommanderMilitant, Apr 01 2020 - 15:57.


KilljoyCutter #43979 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 16:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 27,533
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

Tracking CCP's deceit and mendacity on SARS-CoV-2.

 

https://www.national...vastating-lies/

 


 

Devin Nunes continues to demonstrate his grotesque ignorance and idiocy -- after telling people to go out and eat in restaurants in March, now he's calling school closures during the outbreak "way overkill"... and again touting untested drugs... 

 

https://thehill.com/...-to-coronavirus

 


 

Twitter and Facebook starting to delete posts and lock accounts spreading COVID19 misinformation... including Rudy Giulianni's 

 

https://www.huffpost...5b661492268e789

https://www.bbc.com/...nology-52106321

 


 

"No one could have seen this coming" -- :sceptic:

 

https://www.nytimes....nomy-trump.html

 


 

How to take the exact wrong lesson from everything, with Mitch McConnell.

 

https://www.salon.co...on-impeachment/

 


Edited by KilljoyCutter, Apr 01 2020 - 18:15.


KilljoyCutter #43980 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 16:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 27,533
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostCruiser_Katori, on Mar 31 2020 - 18:02, said:

This is why IoT is bloody terrifying. Also, while 1984 was meant to be a warning, not a field manual, you wouldn't think it sometimes based off how much of life imitates that art.

 

I'll never let IoT devices into my home or my life.  If it becomes impossible to find new devices without IoT, I'll stick to restored/refurbed used, and/or find ways to physically disable the connectivity.  

 






33 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Avalon304, Tjtod, ChairmanMilo, cipher12, Apple_Jack