Jump to content


T110's Northern Migration


  • Please log in to reply
19405 replies to this topic

Starne #18681 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 17:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 7501 battles
  • 5,601
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 10:47, said:

 

"If she wasn't looking for it, she shouldn't have been out in public with her hair uncovered, or wearing pants like a man."  -- Roy Moore (not really, but it's at the same level as his other pseudo-Christian bull$#!+).  

 

 

 

It's hilarious in a very dark way to listen to Roy Moore warn of the perils of "Radical Islam" and "Sharia Law", then start spouting his usual ultra-fundamentalist theocratic [edited]. The only thing that really separates the guy from the"Radical Islamists" he's so wound up about is that he wears jeans and that stupid cowboy hat.

 

Then again, "Religious fundamentalism is bad, unless it's our religious fundamentalism" is pretty much the theme of the American far-right anyway.

 

 



DerViktim #18682 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 17:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 18241 battles
  • 5,902
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostMisfire42, on Nov 10 2017 - 10:40, said:

 

Isn't "She consented!" essentially the same thing?

 

I had a long snarky response, but at the end of the day there are several salient facts:

1) the accuser was not of legal age of consent at the time of the alleged act

2) As she was not of legal age of consent she, by law, is unable to consent

3) A legal guardian did not consent for her

4) If the alleged acts occurred the conditions of Statutory Rape apply

5) Moore was a prosecutor at the time of the alleged act and therefore should be well acquainted with the legal implications of his actions.

6) If all of the above apply he should not be allowed to serve in public office and in my opinion should be acquainted with the inside of a prison cell for an extended stay.



Starne #18683 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 17:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 7501 battles
  • 5,601
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

By the way, here is what is supposedly the full quote from Jim Ziegler, the Alabama state auditor that offered the now infamous 'Mary and Joseph defense':

 

"Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual."

 

Uhm, yeah Jim... Hate to break it to you, but if these allegations are true, there is a LOT illegal AND immoral about what Roy Moore did. What's unusual (and more than a little bit) is that you don't seem to know what statutory rape is, and think that an authority figure abusing a mother's trust to sexually assault her underage daughter is somehow not immoral.



KilljoyCutter #18684 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 18:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostStarne, on Nov 10 2017 - 11:55, said:

By the way, here is what is supposedly the full quote from Jim Ziegler, the Alabama state auditor that offered the now infamous 'Mary and Joseph defense':

 

"Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual."

 

Uhm, yeah Jim... Hate to break it to you, but if these allegations are true, there is a LOT illegal AND immoral about what Roy Moore did. What's unusual (and more than a little bit) is that you don't seem to know what statutory rape is, and think that an authority figure abusing a mother's trust to sexually assault her underage daughter is somehow not immoral.

 

It's also not 1000 BCE or whatever, either. 

 

This is the sort of deeply abusive and sexist behavior in the 21st century that I want to see "Islamic" culture's feet held to the fire for -- why should I not be just as disgusted and outraged when it's happening in my own country?

 

 



KilljoyCutter #18685 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 18:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

In other news, some of Facebook's key originators are starting to question the company's practices, and broader impacts of social media.  

 

https://www.cnet.com...man-psychology/

https://www.theguard...valley-dystopia

 



DerViktim #18686 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 18:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 18241 battles
  • 5,902
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 12:02, said:

In other news, some of Facebook's key originators are starting to question the company's practices, and broader impacts of social media.  

 

https://www.cnet.com...man-psychology/

https://www.theguard...valley-dystopia

 

 

This is just a personal observation on my part, but the one thing I've noticed lately is just how many people can't be bothered to do a simple search to find out anything. I've noticed far too many people just operating off of hearsay instead of actually doing a search to find the information out for themselves. When you have the sum of all human knowledge at your beck and call I just can't grasp the idea that "just look it up" as being too complex or too much effort. Especially when most people carry a device in their pocket that is completely capable of doing that. It is almost like the entire concept of finding things out for yourself is lost on many people.

 



KilljoyCutter #18687 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 18:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostDerViktim, on Nov 10 2017 - 12:37, said:

 

This is just a personal observation on my part, but the one thing I've noticed lately is just how many people can't be bothered to do a simple search to find out anything. I've noticed far too many people just operating off of hearsay instead of actually doing a search to find the information out for themselves. When you have the sum of all human knowledge at your beck and call I just can't grasp the idea that "just look it up" as being too complex or too much effort. Especially when most people carry a device in their pocket that is completely capable of doing that. It is almost like the entire concept of finding things out for yourself is lost on many people.

 

 

I've seen the same thing -- even if people are doing a search, they're not bothering to go to the 2nd or 3rd page and look at other results to get a broader sample set of answers to their query. 

 

The internet was supposed to make it harder to lie, not easier. 

 



DerViktim #18688 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 18241 battles
  • 5,902
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 12:49, said:

 

I've seen the same thing -- even if people are doing a search, they're not bothering to go to the 2nd or 3rd page and look at other results to get a broader sample set of answers to their query. 

 

The internet was supposed to make it harder to lie, not easier. 

 

 

I almost think being willfully ignorant has become a coping mechanism to being in a continual state of information overload. In some ways I've had to purposefully isolate myself from the constant stream of information just to let my brain recover and process what it has already been exposed to.

 

Shifting gears, but along those lines, I finished the latest Robert Langdon (the character) book a couple nights ago, Dan Brown's Origin. I thought it was an enjoyable book overall.

I'm looking forward to starting my next book, Dan Rather's "What Unites Us: Reflections on Patriotism". I'm on vacation for the next couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to some relaxation time with what I hope will be a good book.

 



Daigensui #18689 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 27251 battles
  • 29,482
  • [KANCO] KANCO
  • Member since:
    11-09-2012
It's simple: Most people do not have the trained processing power. You need to actually think for that sort of activity, and why think?

Starne #18690 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 7501 battles
  • 5,601
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

In other news, Activision is being sued by the manufacturer of the Humvee for using the vehicle in the Call of Duty series and advertising campaigns without permission. AM General is and has been open to giving formal permission to use the Humvee in other game franchises, but Activision apparently never asked. AM General is seeking an injunction blocking the further usage of Humvees in Activision products and advertising campaigns, oh and truckloads of cash to cover "Damages".

 

http://www.pcgamer.com/activision-has-been-sued-by-the-maker-of-the-humvee-over-the-call-of-duty-series/



KilljoyCutter #18691 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostStarne, on Nov 10 2017 - 13:19, said:

In other news, Activision is being sued by the manufacturer of the Humvee for using the vehicle in the Call of Duty series and advertising campaigns without permission. AM General is and has been open to giving formal permission to use the Humvee in other game franchises, but Activision apparently never asked. AM General is seeking an injunction blocking the further usage of Humvees in Activision products and advertising campaigns, oh and truckloads of cash to cover "Damages".

 

http://www.pcgamer.com/activision-has-been-sued-by-the-maker-of-the-humvee-over-the-call-of-duty-series/

 

I'm torn.

 

On one hand, it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for video game makers.

 

On the other hand, at what point does something like the Humvee become part of the culture? 

 



godofdun #18692 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 12498 battles
  • 4,739
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 10:00, said:

 

It's also not 1000 BCE or whatever, either. 

 

This is the sort of deeply abusive and sexist behavior in the 21st century that I want to see "Islamic" culture's feet held to the fire for -- why should I not be just as disgusted and outraged when it's happening in my own country?

 

 

All the major/minor religions need to have their feet held to the fire for outside the west. The Anglicans in Africa are major culprits of things like this, female genital mutilation and murdering gay people. Just an example of course.

 

But yeah here Christians don't much go past the "traditional gender role" reinforcement level of abuse usually. It's not good, but certainly better than honor killings and such. If I remember right wasn't there a female genital mutilation case in Michigan not too long ago involving some islamist female doctor?
 



Daigensui #18693 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 27251 battles
  • 29,482
  • [KANCO] KANCO
  • Member since:
    11-09-2012

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 10:23, said:

On the other hand, at what point does something like the Humvee become part of the culture? 

 

When the company does not do "due diligence" :v



Starne #18694 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 7501 battles
  • 5,601
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

View PostDaigensui, on Nov 10 2017 - 13:27, said:

 

When the company does not do "due diligence" :v

 

No due diligence for years, even. How long has the Call of Duty franchise been all about "Modern Warfare"?

KilljoyCutter #18695 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View Postgodofdun, on Nov 10 2017 - 13:27, said:

All the major/minor religions need to have their feet held to the fire for outside the west. The Anglicans in Africa are major culprits of things like this, female genital mutilation and murdering gay people. Just an example of course.

 

But yeah here Christians don't much go past the "traditional gender role" reinforcement level of abuse usually. It's not good, but certainly better than honor killings and such. If I remember right wasn't there a female genital mutilation case in Michigan not too long ago involving some islamist female doctor?
 

 

Yes -- one of the first such prosecutions in the US, and the case has grown.

 

http://www.freep.com...igan/488832001/

 

 

On such "customs" as these, I tend to concur with Charles James Napier's comment on sati, when the local priests complained that he was interfering in their religious customs:

 

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile.  But my nation has also a custom.  When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property.  My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed.  Let us all act according to national customs."

 

In the US, we have a custom of putting people in prison when they mutilate children, and of taking children away from parents who allow it. Part of me regrets that  such "people" can no longer be sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. 

 



godofdun #18696 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 19:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 12498 battles
  • 4,739
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 11:45, said:

 

Yes -- one of the first such prosecutions in the US, and the case has grown.

 

http://www.freep.com...igan/488832001/

 

 

On such "customs" as these, I tend to concur with Charles James Napier's comment on sati, when the local priests complained that he was interfering in their religious customs:

 

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile.  But my nation has also a custom.  When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property.  My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed.  Let us all act according to national customs."

 

In the US, we have a custom of putting people in prison when they mutilate children, and of taking children away from parents who allow it. Part of me regrets that  such "people" can no longer be sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. 

 

Yeah it's stories like that and like this:

http://www.wcvb.com/article/mom-2-others-injected-10-year-old-girl-with-meth-before-raping-killing-her/8246779

 

That as liberal as I am I think "yeah, maybe we shouldn't get rid of the death penalty completely". I don't really care how you get rid of them, I don't want people like that on the same PLANET as my nieces and nephews.
 



Starne #18697 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 20:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 7501 battles
  • 5,601
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

The GOP's Senate campaign apparatus is apparently severing its direct ties with Roy Moore's campaign. It's worth pointing out that the Alabama GOP and GOP National Committee are still part of the agreement with Moore's campaign, so all this really does is create a degree of separation between the Senate GOP and Moore.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/10/nrsc-drops-out-of-fundraising-agreement-with-moore-244783

 

This is bad for the GOP no matter which way it goes. If Moore wins, they have to deal with a freshman Senator who is not only combative and hostile to the national party, but that they have absolutely no leverage over. If Moore loses, which is unlikely but possible (Local media is running the story, so Moore stands to lose at least some votes either to people just staying home or writing in someone like Luther Strange), the GOP's Senate majority shrinks from 52 to 51.

 

It's almost as if the Trump administration and the Trump-driven sharp populist/nationalist turn* of the GOP base is a no-win scenario for the GOP. It's a shame they weren't warned, over and over, that letting Trump hijack the party would end in disaster for them.

 

* Research shows that, particularly during presidential elections, people's own positions and opinions tend to gravitate toward those espoused by their favored candidate, so in cases like this, it's as much a case of the tail wagging the dog as anything else.


Edited by Starne, Nov 10 2017 - 20:30.


Taiho #18698 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 20:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles
  • 483
  • Member since:
    01-10-2011

View PostLife_In_Black, on Nov 10 2017 - 10:37, said:

In lighter news, bought Stardew Valley last night. Enjoying it so far.

 

Woo. It's a great game.

 

Remember not to upgrade your watering can except during winter or when it's going to rain the next day (so water crops, take can for upgrade, rains next day, pick up upgraded can day after, water crops same day). Livestock need hay or grass, so if you get chickens or cows before winter, make sure you have a silo to hold hay (you can't make hay without a silo to hold it, and surplus hay doesn't auto-go into your inventory) to feed them over winter, or you'll be buying hay from Marnie until spring comes and you can get grass growing for them to eat. You cannot change a skill specialization once selected (and each specialization has a different pair of options at 10), so you might want to look up what the options do and their lv10 options before you pick one at skill lv5. Relationships slowly decay over time, but if you get them capped (10 hearts for non-marriage options, 8 hearts for marriage options), then it won't decay. If you uncap a marriage option (via bouqet), then you need to cap them at 10 to avoid decay again. Chatting with someone every day or two is enough to prevent decay. There's no real deadline (sure you get a visit after 2 years, but if you don't "score" well, you can use diamonds IIRC to cause additional visits to get improved results.

 

And you picked a decent time to pick it up. Multiplayer is supposed to go into pc beta by the end of the year IIRC, and then live some time next year.



KilljoyCutter #18699 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 20:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,494
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostStarne, on Nov 10 2017 - 14:05, said:

The GOP's Senate campaign apparatus is apparently severing its direct ties with Roy Moore's campaign. It's worth pointing out that the Alabama GOP and GOP National Committee are still part of the agreement with Moore's campaign, so all this really does is create a degree of separation between the Senate GOP and Moore.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/10/nrsc-drops-out-of-fundraising-agreement-with-moore-244783

 

This is bad for the GOP no matter which way it goes. If Moore wins, they have to deal with a freshman Senator who is not only combative and hostile to the national party, but that they have absolutely no leverage over. If Moore loses, which is unlikely but possible (Local media is running the story, so Moore stands to lose at least some votes either to people just staying home or writing in someone like Luther Strange), the GOP's Senate majority shrinks from 52 to 51.

 

It's almost as if the Trump administration and the Trump-driven sharp populist/nationalist turn* of the GOP base is a no-win scenario for the GOP. It's a shame they weren't warned, over and over, that letting Trump hijack the party would end in disaster for them.

 

My dream scenario is to see the Alt Reich, Religious Reich, and Corporate State factions of the GOP commit mutual fratricide, and be replaced by something more practical than ideological, fiscally conservative in a sensible way, more concerned with fostering real small businesses than sucking at the corporate teat, and socially starting from a principle of "what happens in your house is your business as long as no one gets hurt by it".  

 

I'd also like a unicorn. 

 

 

View PostStarne, on Nov 10 2017 - 14:05, said:

* Research shows that, particularly during presidential elections, people's own positions and opinions tend to gravitate toward those espoused by their favored candidate, so in cases like this, it's as much a case of the tail wagging the dog as anything else.

 

I am once again reminded that I live among beings who are functionally aliens. 

 

Is this some sort of tribal-instinct phenomenon? 

 



The_Chieftain #18700 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 21:10

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 10145 battles
  • 9,594
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 10 2017 - 18:23, said:

 

I'm torn.

 

On one hand, it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for video game makers.

 

On the other hand, at what point does something like the Humvee become part of the culture? 

 

 

 

There was a bill which went around Congress back in 2001 to basically say that manufacturers of military equipment could not copyright materials developed with government dollars. The intended protection was for model kit manufacturers, but video games would have been covered as well. However, it was summer/autumn 2001, and Congress got distracted. At about the same time that they were planning on letting reservists fly international on Space-A travel.

 

Just bought Command: Modern Air/Naval operations for 80% off. Still $20-something. Let's see if I actually get around to playing it.






25 user(s) are reading this topic

9 members, 15 guests, 1 anonymous users


    SpectreHD, RitaGamer, cipher12, Taiho, EmpressNero, Avalon304, godofdun, WotanX