T110's Northern Migration

• Please log in to reply
19540 replies to this topic

C_Menz #19001 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 20871 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

To say that armor has never worked and wasn't really a balancing/core mechanic in WoT is really far fetched.  I'm in a bit of a unique position where I was one of the few to create armor/weak spot guides early on in the game.  This was before there were websites where you could see armor models, etc. on a whim.  When gold rounds were changed to being available for credits it did alter slightly the need for people to know weak spots. 

Prior to this change you were required to know at least basic weak spot mechanics(lower plate, cupola) to play decent in WoT.  With gold rounds now accessible to the masses this was less of a problem. However, the change wasn't over night.  I would say that took the average player and the mentality of players a good year before we started to get to today's issues.  At first premium rounds were used sparingly due to their cost by core players. Later on this transitioned to casual players using them and core players using even more.  Meanwhile new tanks were being released that slowly increased shell penetration. Players were finishing grinding more and more tank lines. And the barrier of premium rounds due to the cost became lessened.

Agree with the statement of armor ever being relevant in WoT or not. But prior to the adoption of premium rounds on a large scale it did hold a lot of weight from a balancing standpoint.  Yes, firepower and mobility still triumphed over armor. But it did matter more than what some remember.  I can attest to that since looking back I can see a huge drop off on people searching for armor guides the months following gold rounds changing into premium rounds. And this was prior to other fan sites having model viewers for people to see them in real time.

Will we ever go back to that time in WoT where armor held a higher importance and so did weak spots? I don't think so.  However I do think that it would be wise to tweak the ammunition system in the game around to create a more balanced game in the grand scheme of things.  Suggestions like less damage for more penetration, providing more ammo choices for each tank, and capping certain amounts of ammo all have their merits. Unfortunately whether WG and players admit it the issue at hand is WoT being a free to play game.  Until we see something to replace the loss of revenue incurred by premium ammo spam we won't see any changes to it.

GoldMountain #19002 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles

View PostRitaGamer, on Nov 14 2017 - 16:13, said:

I think I will keep on using the snip snip tool, I am not very good with the modelling knife yet tbh.

One of the reasons why I build models its bc although I got tiny hands, they are incredibly strong and clumsy. Building models is a good training to make them more finesse.

And talking about that... I just broke a Licor glass while dishwashing.  :mellow:

Cleaning cupboards entirely and rearranging cups atm. 

I advise getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.c...CfnL&ref=plSrch

I have one myself and use one at work.

Edited by GoldMountain, Nov 14 2017 - 17:35.

RitaGamer #19003 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:44

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Nah, I still rather use the knife than an X-act.

Just now realised. It has been pretty much a month since the last time I touched WoT.  

I do not miss it.

Zergling #19004 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:51

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Paul Ryan has joined other Republicans to tell Roy Moore to GTFO.

KilljoyCutter #19005 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Be it ever so shriveled and abused, it turns out the GOP congressional leadership has a soul after all...

LordCommanderMilitant #19006 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:29

Major

• Players
  • 8537 battles
  • [KURO] KURO

A CSM player once joked that the Blood God had been offered his rightful due after he accidentally cut himself.

I myself have made fairly deep cuts in my finger, notably one time when I disregarded basic knife safety while trying to cut the tracks off an Immolator I received second hand [they were on backwards, so I was cutting them off to fit them on properly], and cut towards myself. It took months for that to heal, but it didn't hurt at all. It took blood getting on things for me to realize I had cut myself and how badly.

Basic safety technique goes a long way.

EmpressNero #19007 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:03

Major

• Players
  • 11168 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 14 2017 - 12:08, said:

Be it ever so shriveled and abused, it turns out the GOP congressional leadership has a soul after all...

Too bad for them.  Turns out having a soul is bad in politics.

Vollketten #19008 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 29557 battles
  • [----] ----

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Nov 14 2017 - 11:08, said:

Well if a neutrino can be found then so can that.

Also. Coup in Zimbabwe?

Shame if anything happened to that rancid old turd Mugabe

Apache1990 #19009 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 32765 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 14 2017 - 07:46, said:

And the IS-4 is often thought to be one of the worst tier 10 heavy tanks despite its potato armor... so Im not really sure where that was meant to go.

Only because most people for some reason don't recognize how silly the IS-4's armor is (which makes it even stronger, since people don't respect it in-game either).  It's been secretly Russia Stronk long before Maus and Type 5 showed up with strong, but flat, armor.

Starne #19010 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 7501 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostVollketten, on Nov 14 2017 - 13:18, said:

Also. Coup in Zimbabwe?

At this point, I think it's less about removing Robert and more about taking the levers of power away from Grace. I think she really crossed a line when she started trying to push the 'Revolutionary/Guerrilla/Veteran' types out to secure her own position. AFAIK she had been a defacto co-ruler under some kind of  informal power sharing arrangement with the old guard types for awhile, but it looks like she decided she wanted more and pushed it too far. Robert himself probably hasn't been an active participant in politics in years.

But yeah, troops leaving their barracks and heading toward the capital with heavy equipment in tow. That means one of two things; A coup in the making, or maybe a parade. Who knows.

Edited by Starne, Nov 14 2017 - 19:33.

RitaGamer #19011 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:33

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Just received my first Essay results, its a PASS.

cipher12 #19012 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:39

Major

• Players
  • 11718 battles

View PostVollketten, on Nov 14 2017 - 19:18, said:

Also. Coup in Zimbabwe?

Did he run out of Dollars to pay the army with or something.

RitaGamer #19013 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Vollketten #19014 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 29557 battles
  • [----] ----

View Postcipher12, on Nov 14 2017 - 12:39, said:

Did he run out of Dollars to pay the army with or something.

BBC report that he has reported his deputy Mr. Mnangagwa and was basically trying to set up his wife as the next President Dictator. The Army had warned him and now reports of this lead me to expect a fair trial followed by rapid hanging by the ankles from a local facility.

http://www.bbc.com/n...frica-41984813 

Edited by Vollketten, Nov 14 2017 - 19:51.

FrozenKemp #19015 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 42686 battles

View PostC_Menz, on Nov 14 2017 - 11:27, said:

Prior to this change you were required to know at least basic weak spot mechanics(lower plate, cupola) to play decent in WoT.  With gold rounds now accessible to the masses this was less of a problem. However, the change wasn't over night.  I would say that took the average player and the mentality of players a good year before we started to get to today's issues.  At first premium rounds were used sparingly due to their cost by core players. Later on this transitioned to casual players using them and core players using even more.  Meanwhile new tanks were being released that slowly increased shell penetration. Players were finishing grinding more and more tank lines. And the barrier of premium rounds due to the cost became lessened.

Agree with the statement of armor ever being relevant in WoT or not. But prior to the adoption of premium rounds on a large scale it did hold a lot of weight from a balancing standpoint.  Yes, firepower and mobility still triumphed over armor. But it did matter more than what some remember.  I can attest to that since looking back I can see a huge drop off on people searching for armor guides the months following gold rounds changing into premium rounds. And this was prior to other fan sites having model viewers for people to see them in real time.

Will we ever go back to that time in WoT where armor held a higher importance and so did weak spots? I don't think so.  However I do think that it would be wise to tweak the ammunition system in the game around to create a more balanced game in the grand scheme of things.  Suggestions like less damage for more penetration, providing more ammo choices for each tank, and capping certain amounts of ammo all have their merits. Unfortunately whether WG and players admit it the issue at hand is WoT being a free to play game.  Until we see something to replace the loss of revenue incurred by premium ammo spam we won't see any changes to it.

I think you're absolutely right in touching on people completing tank lines being a key factor.  It's been amazing to me to see how my credits are accumulating recently (when I have not been advancing up lines as much).

The only way I can really see it altering from the present situation would be if WG implemented a limitation on how much of a tank's loadout could be premium ammunition.  I think 10-15% would be what's needed to make the decision whether to use the shells or not a more serious one and reduce premium spam. 

stalkervision #19016 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 51084 battles

View PostRitaGamer, on Nov 14 2017 - 13:33, said:

Just received my first Essay results, its a PASS.

You did a tremendous about of work on it so you deserve it. I pretty much cruised through my last bit of History lessons and disappointed my main professor who knew I was better then what I was turning in. :hiding: 

KilljoyCutter #19017 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostVollketten, on Nov 14 2017 - 13:48, said:

BBC report that he has reported his deputy Mr. Mnangagwa and was basically trying to set up his wife as the next President Dictator. The Army had warned him and now reports of this lead me to expect a fair trial followed by rapid hanging by the ankles from a local facility.

http://www.bbc.com/n...frica-41984813 

Shame that didn't happen ~25 years ago, before he turned the country from the breadbasket of Africa into a shambling zombie state.

RitaGamer #19018 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 22:17

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Just scared the crap out of the guy we got renting a room. He arrived from work, we said hello to each other as I was washing my bathroom's floor. He entered his room but passed by again without me noticing in the corridor and got out of the house to pick something in his car. 

I heard the front door twice thinking he was in his room and assuming that he may have forgotten to lock the door and someone uninvited had entered. Currently, in the area, there has been an increase in crime, especially home robbery and my entrance has been tried twice in the last months so the first thing I did was to grab my Sig and go downstairs to check. Its Airsoft but looks real and still can hurt.

As soon I reach downstairs he comes out of the bathroom and catches me holding the Sig and screams "ITS MEHHH, *NAME*!". 

I wasn't even pointing the gun and the thing wasn't even loaded, he's a homosexual and has a tendency to be loud and dramatic but was kinda funny... I even took out the magazine and shown him that the thing wasn't even loaded to calm him.

He does feel protected and has nothing to fear with me around tho, I will protect his honour. :teethhappy:

MajorOffensive #19019 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 22:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26741 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostApache1990, on Nov 14 2017 - 00:40, said:

Even standard penetration is starting to creep up for T8 mediums.  There are several heavies that had basically enough armor to make the average T8 medium bounce 50-70% of their shots if they didn't hit a weak point.  Now, the lowest T8 medium pen is slowly being crept up to 212 universal.

It's a cycle between increasing penetration and armor.  Still isn't enough penetration to go through the Defender's lower glacis in most situations.

View Poststalkervision, on Nov 14 2017 - 06:19, said:

The game can never ever be balanced because it's basic premise is completely faulty. Tanks of one era almost NEVER met tanks of another on the battlefield and if they did on rare occasions it was a predictable slaughter. That's what the gold ammo is for to try to balance out this flawed ridiculous idea. What surprises me is few of you see this. :facepalm:

A lot of people here in particular realize exactly this.  We just also realize it's a game.  And WG has taken some liberties even since the beginning, like implementing proposed or trialed upgunning options that were never production.

View PostFrozenKemp, on Nov 14 2017 - 07:24, said:

Yeah, me too :) Took me about 3 hours - one in the morning and two in the evening.  Not entirely sure I will get today's mission done or not due to my need to clean and pack for a short trip... then again it's damage 50, and I'm hoping it will take an hour or an hour and a half.  I'm probably wrong and it'll take longer! 

Play high tier arty.  Splash everything.  Easy peasy.  Apart from some specific doubles, that's exactly what I will be doing.  

FrozenKemp #19020 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 22:44

Major

• Players
  • 42686 battles

Major, I was thinking about that but was also thinking that might be just TOO EVIL!   I might do it with the Crusader SP, as I enjoy it more than my Conqueror GC. 

Bonus evil: do it while seal clubbing in my Birch Gun.  Doesn't have splash, though. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Nov 14 2017 - 22:49.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 10 guests, 1 anonymous users

cipher12, Avalon304, EmpressNero