• Please log in to reply
20933 replies to this topic

lostwingman #19621 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 02:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22361 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostEmpressNero, on Nov 22 2017 - 20:44, said:

Oh, is that the secret?  I should hurry up and retire then.

It only works if you enjoy your occupation, or at least the routine of it.

Taiho #19622 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 03:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3081 battles

So, I just heard that Marvel Heroes, originally slated to shut down at the end of the year, will instead be shutting down Friday. Also, all staff were fired.

And still nothing official on the steam store page regarding either shut down date. At least there's no packages for sale still on the page.

Zergling #19623 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 03:21

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostTaiho, on Nov 23 2017 - 12:11, said:

So, I just heard that Marvel Heroes, originally slated to shut down at the end of the year, will instead be shutting down Friday. Also, all staff were fired.

And still nothing official on the steam store page regarding either shut down date. At least there's no packages for sale still on the page.

Ouch, there goes my plans on playing all the heroes I hadn't played over December.

Starne #19624 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 03:30

Major

• Players
  • 7501 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostTaiho, on Nov 22 2017 - 21:11, said:

The situation is different, but I can't help but be reminded of how the City of Heroes shutdown happened. The game was chugging along fine post F2P relaunch. One day the developers show up for work, and during their morning meeting are told that none of them have jobs anymore and to clean out their desks, with only a skeleton crew being kept on for a couple months to wind the game down. It was literally out of the blue. A major content update was in the works and everything.

This is why I hate NCsoft, kids. You know, in addition to their treatment of Richard Garriot and their handling of both Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault.

Edited by Starne, Nov 23 2017 - 03:36.

lostwingman #19625 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 04:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22361 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostStarne, on Nov 22 2017 - 21:30, said:

Tabula Rasa

Funny you mention that one. I remember I was looking for a new mmo, came across that and some neat videos for it, go to look it up, annnnd it shut down the month before.

Starne #19626 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 04:24

Major

• Players
  • 7501 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postlostwingman, on Nov 22 2017 - 22:07, said:

Funny you mention that one. I remember I was looking for a new mmo, came across that and some neat videos for it, go to look it up, annnnd it shut down the month before.

Yep. It was launched in an unfinished state because NCsoft wanted to start making money off it, then when it wasn't the WoW-killer they were "promised" and didn't make a gazillion dollars right off the bat, they pulled the plug. Plus, they also cheated Richard Garriot out of a lot of money on top of falsifying statements from him regarding the state of the game. They did pretty much the same thing to Auto Assault. Damn shame there, that was a pretty novel concept.

The best part is that NCsoft does all this [edited], then has the temerity to blame western developers and the western game market for their lack of success in breaking into the North American and European markets.

Zergling #19627 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 04:29

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Whelp, did Iron Banner dailies in Destiny 2 again, after a bit more frustration than yesterday... and now I'm up to 226 IB tokens.

DerViktim #19628 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 18286 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostZergling, on Nov 22 2017 - 22:29, said:

Whelp, did Iron Banner dailies in Destiny 2 again, after a bit more frustration than yesterday... and now I'm up to 226 IB tokens.

Pick a character, spend the tokens. You don't get any benefit from sitting on them. They also get reset between IB's so you can't bank them for later either.

Zergling #19629 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 09:09

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostDerViktim, on Nov 23 2017 - 14:35, said:

Pick a character, spend the tokens. You don't get any benefit from sitting on them. They also get reset between IB's so you can't bank them for later either.

Yeah, I figured they'd get reset like Faction tokens did. I'm just gonna get weekly milestone rewards done first, so the level of those IB rewards are as high as possible.

Avalon304 #19630 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 09:41

Major

• Players
  • 17109 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

I think Nero hinted that she might want something like this:

http://avalonswotwor...estoration.html

Early release for Threadites.

LittleJoeRambler #19631 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 10:48

Major

• Players
  • 23179 battles

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Nov 22 2017 - 14:05, said:

Currently engaged in a lengthy debate over on the ask historians sub-reddit on the matter of just how much context is necessary at a tank museum. I seem to be fighting a minority position

The position held by the others in that thread bothers me a little. Anecdotal data is anecdotal, but when I started playing WoT I was dangerously close to being a Wehraboo; encountering all the technical data surrounding not only German tanks and tank design but that of the US, British and Soviets dispelled the "Nazi Ubermensch" myth for me; not only were German tanks not as good as people claimed they were, but tanks of other nations were significantly better than I was led to believe, and the design choices reflect hard trade-offs each nation was forced to make due to their individual circumstances. Definitely not just a case of "big gun, thick armor = better."

On top of that, I think I have greater empathy for the human cost paid by tank crewmen than I did before I started playing WoT. Playing my M4, getting stuck in a tier 7 match and coming across a Panther gives you that "oh crap" moment that a lot of tankers themselves felt a much stronger version of. The difficulty of the situation those tankers were in is clear with every shell that bounces and all the return fire that penetrates; this is probably the major reason I'm bummed about WG using armor as a balance metric, and I also lament the lack of a historical PvE mode that lets you drive the iconic tanks in the worst battles of the war. 

There are smaller details too though, technical minutiae that reflects the unclean reality of WoT's "clean" battlefield. Stuff like the design and implementation of the wet ammo rack to prevent ammo- and therefore, tankmen- from burning wasn't made in a vacuum, the impetus for it came directly from soldiers watching their friends die engulfed in flames. The chin on the Panther ausf G's mantlet, the heavily sloped armor of the T-34, and the cramming of the 17 pounder into a M4 turret were all, similarly, design decisions made at least partially with the intent to save the lives of the tankers who would be using the vehicle, and ignoring that is ignoring the human costs that influenced those trade-offs. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I feel like I have a much better perspective on the history of both tanks and the men that crewed them- the challenges and the horrors they faced- than I ever would have gotten had I not spent so much time with WoT. It saddens me greatly that I don't really feel like playing it much any more, but I genuinely think I am better informed directly because of getting sucked into the game. 

And for the link between tanks and war crimes, I am not of the opinion that the link is strong enough to warrant a mention in every museum featuring tanks for largely the same reason that it doesn't make sense to do so for planes or ships, namely that machines don't commit atrocities, people do. 

SpectreHD #19632 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 10:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16324 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostEmpressNero, on Nov 23 2017 - 06:56, said:

What the hell, Wargaming?  You're actually giving 30% off deals for Black Friday?  I can get a Tier 8 tank for under 30 bucks!  Have you freaking lost it?  You can't make money that way!!!

Hmm... nothing good there. Heck, even EA got a 50% off for Titanfall 2. Pretty much got it for USD18.50.

MWO still has the better deal. I mean, 50% off the "premium" mechs in game. Don't see any discounts for premium tanks in game.

View PostEmpressNero, on Nov 23 2017 - 09:44, said:

Oh, is that the secret?  I should hurry up and retire then.

Might be some credibility to that. My dad is 70 and is still running around like he is 45. But he will retire come this February though...

Well, its either his work or the single malt whiskey he drinks every night.

Apple_Jack #19633 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 13:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11675 battles

Speaking of deals, there were two great pieces of news this week. First is that 1C Game Studios are releasing another expansion to the IL-2 simulation specifically for tanks.https://il2sturmovik...-circus-tank-c/

The second is that the other tank game is cutting the XP grind for era 3-5 tanks by a large amount. Like, up to 50% large.

Life_In_Black #19634 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 13:49

Major

• Players
  • 24488 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostLittleJoeRambler, on Nov 23 2017 - 04:48, said:

The position held by the others in that thread bothers me a little. Anecdotal data is anecdotal, but when I started playing WoT I was dangerously close to being a Wehraboo; encountering all the technical data surrounding not only German tanks and tank design but that of the US, British and Soviets dispelled the "Nazi Ubermensch" myth for me; not only were German tanks not as good as people claimed they were, but tanks of other nations were significantly better than I was led to believe, and the design choices reflect hard trade-offs each nation was forced to make due to their individual circumstances. Definitely not just a case of "big gun, thick armor = better."

On top of that, I think I have greater empathy for the human cost paid by tank crewmen than I did before I started playing WoT. Playing my M4, getting stuck in a tier 7 match and coming across a Panther gives you that "oh crap" moment that a lot of tankers themselves felt a much stronger version of. The difficulty of the situation those tankers were in is clear with every shell that bounces and all the return fire that penetrates; this is probably the major reason I'm bummed about WG using armor as a balance metric, and I also lament the lack of a historical PvE mode that lets you drive the iconic tanks in the worst battles of the war. 

There are smaller details too though, technical minutiae that reflects the unclean reality of WoT's "clean" battlefield. Stuff like the design and implementation of the wet ammo rack to prevent ammo- and therefore, tankmen- from burning wasn't made in a vacuum, the impetus for it came directly from soldiers watching their friends die engulfed in flames. The chin on the Panther ausf G's mantlet, the heavily sloped armor of the T-34, and the cramming of the 17 pounder into a M4 turret were all, similarly, design decisions made at least partially with the intent to save the lives of the tankers who would be using the vehicle, and ignoring that is ignoring the human costs that influenced those trade-offs. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I feel like I have a much better perspective on the history of both tanks and the men that crewed them- the challenges and the horrors they faced- than I ever would have gotten had I not spent so much time with WoT. It saddens me greatly that I don't really feel like playing it much any more, but I genuinely think I am better informed directly because of getting sucked into the game. 

And for the link between tanks and war crimes, I am not of the opinion that the link is strong enough to warrant a mention in every museum featuring tanks for largely the same reason that it doesn't make sense to do so for planes or ships, namely that machines don't commit atrocities, people do. 

I wasn't dangerously close to being a Wehraboo when I started playing, I was a Wehraboo when I started playing this. Had been buying into the crap for years about how god German stuff was. Then I actually started learning and getting away from the History channel schlock nonsense I had grown up on.

Daigensui #19635 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 14:18

Major

• Players
  • 27483 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

I'll just say, WoT started something. For all the crappy game design decisions, public impact has been tremendous.

What's scary is that WoWS NA by itself raised over $130,000 with Project VALOR in about two weeks. When $20,000 donations are considered "generous", you can see just how big WoWS, a relatively minor game for WG, has shaken things up.

EmpressNero #19636 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 14:48

Major

• Players
  • 11365 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 23 2017 - 03:41, said:

I think Nero hinted that she might want something like this:

http://avalonswotwor...estoration.html

Early release for Threadites.

Yay~!  Thank you!~<3

SpectreHD #19637 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 15:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16324 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostLittleJoeRambler, on Nov 23 2017 - 17:48, said:

Agreed. Armour should have been kept as historical as reasonably possible not simply from an educational standpoint but also it makes good sense to have a solid fix baseline to balance vehicles up from. Best way for that is to rebalance premium ammo because there are so many other stats that can be altered instead of messing with armour. The second stat would be gun depression. I am not fully expecting the M103 to get the old Conqueror's gun soft stats.

View PostLife_In_Black, on Nov 23 2017 - 20:49, said:

I wasn't dangerously close to being a Wehraboo when I started playing, I was a Wehraboo when I started playing this. Had been buying into the crap for years about how god German stuff was. Then I actually started learning and getting away from the History channel schlock nonsense I had grown up on.

For me, I wasn't aware of the reputations or myths when I got into WoT. Only reason I went the German line first was because there was only Russia and Germany tanks at the time and I was more familiar with German tanks. During that time, arguments I had for buffing German tanks tend to focus more on game balance based on real data. For example the turret front of the Tiger 2 being 100% penetration guarantee from 132mm penetrating guns like the short 88 back then. That's when I started hearing of their reputation as well.

But then FREEDOM was implemented and I love me some FREEDOM. Then I heard of the myths. But then I heard of the truth. And that just makes the US tree just that much better for me in terms of providing me with truths over myths.

View PostDaigensui, on Nov 23 2017 - 21:18, said:

I'll just say, WoT started something. For all the crappy game design decisions, public impact has been tremendous.

What's scary is that WoWS NA by itself raised over $130,000 with Project VALOR in about two weeks. When $20,000 donations are considered "generous", you can see just how big WoWS, a relatively minor game for WG, has shaken things up.

Oh definitely. We are starting to do away with the M4 death trap myths. But I do feel the level of impact is on a very small scale though mostly limited to historians and tank enthusiasts. I would love to see the myths of the M4 being busted on a more mainstream level and that the reputations of German superiority is overstated.

Edited by SpectreHD, Nov 23 2017 - 15:37.

Daigensui #19638 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 15:53

Major

• Players
  • 27483 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

Type 4 Heavy 1st Mark of Excellence

wJgRfKq.jpg

Let's see if I can get to 2nd Mark......

EmpressNero #19639 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 15:53

Major

• Players
  • 11365 battles
A friend of mine is looking at getting a good tier 8 money earner, Considering the sale going on, what would be a good buy for him?  Right now he's looking at the AMX CDC or the M4A1 Revo.  I suggested a T34.  He's currently going down the IS-4 line, so maybe a IS-6?

Daigensui #19640 Posted Nov 23 2017 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 27483 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO
IS-6 and T34. Both are relatively noobproof.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 22 guests, 1 anonymous users

Taiho, MajorOffensive, SpectreHD, Jarms48