21234 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #20541 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 43063 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Dec 06 2017 - 03:25, said:

So I did a thing:

https://www.reddit.c...out_the_fv4202/

I put way too much time into it. It would be nice if someone at WG-Minsk could see this  (or a WG CC could give it attention so that WG has to see it eventually). The tank needs to be fixed. Badly.

It would be really nice.   (And wow, the diffference between the SD and HD models is staggering.)

Part of me wants to say that WG just doesn't care about British tanks.  They're not willing to plunk down $100 to get proper data on accurate paint colours?  

On the other hand they did just give us the Super Conq and will have revamped BOTH TD lines - and I guess they buffed the Centurions recently too.  So I guess they do care... but whether they care about aesthetics and realism is somewhat questionable. 

I hope they read your post anyway and put "fix that model" into the list of things to do.  It seems like they're going to have idle vehicle modellers pretty soon. 

Tjtod #20542 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:14

Captain

• Players
  • 6540 battles

So it was the British who started the whole bullpup thing.

LittleJoeRambler #20543 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:17

Major

• Players
  • 23179 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Dec 06 2017 - 09:10, said:

The point shouldn't be to toss anyone to the side -- the point is to stand up for everyone's rights and opportunities.

Here are two quotes from the article that come close to my long-standing position, and sum up what the "left" needs to concentrate on far more, instead of its apparent current focus on identity, rage, and recrimination. 

"To give you an example, I’m not a black motorist. I will never be a black motorist. I don’t know what it’s like to look in the rearview mirror of a car and see the lights flashing and feel my stomach churn. But I am a citizen. And that person is a fellow-citizen. And, if we can make the case that there are citizens in this country who can’t just go for a drive without being worried about this, and they won’t be equally protected by the law, I think I can make the case to people who aren’t black that that’s a terrible thing, right? And so I want to frame the issue in terms of basic values and principles that we share in order to establish sympathy and empathy and identification with someone else."

"Well, at the time, identity groups understood that that’s what this was about. And they spoke not in terms of difference but about what we shared. So, African-Americans had been—and still are—disenfranchised from the great democratic “we.” That we all are citizens and they’re being denied their rights as citizens. The same thing with women. So it was, in a sense, wanting to actualize the vision that the Democratic Party had and make it real."

And I agree with him that too often, the left does use at least in metaphorical terms "Mau Mau tactics" within their own ranks and against many who might otherwise be swayed or sympathetic. 

The corrosive, divisive "us vs them" mentality of modern identity politics is a losing proposition, and it's only made worse by the smug talk of "inevitable demographic triumph" that some on the left express; combined they make it very easy for the alt-right and its kin to play up a "your way of life is under threat, they're coming for you eventually" narrative, no matter how paranoid it sounds. 

I was referring to this part of the interview:

remnick: Unless I misread your book, you seem to say that, in the interest of winning—and politics is about power, ultimately—the Democratic side ought to think about abandoning certain issues, certain kinds of rhetoric, in order to win. But abandoning certain things like full-throated opposition to bathroom bills will mean that certain people—transgender people, some of the most vulnerable people in our society—will get hurt. How does a party go about sacrificing people on the altar of the general good?

lilla: Well my main point is this, and I want to get this across: we cannot do anything for these groups we care about if we do not hold power. It is just talk. Therefore, our rhetoric in campaigning must be focussed on winning, so then we can help these people. An election is not about self-expression. It’s not a time to display everything we believe about everything. It’s a contest. And once you hold power, then you can do the things you want to do. Your rhetoric has to be mobilizing, and it’s got to mobilize—

remnick: But you can imagine how outraged a transgender person would feel about such a tactic?

lilla: Of course. Of course. And the situation of transgender people can be very, very difficult, especially young people, who feel trapped in a body. And suicide rates are terrible, and homeless rates are terrible. But let’s be concrete about this: transgender people make up less than one half of one per cent of the country. There is no electoral group that we’re trying to mobilize. That’s not to say that we don’t want to help them, and focus on that when we analyze our problems and when we get into power. But that is not how you seize power in this country, especially in the states we need to win. Look, we have the two coasts. We need to go to the middle of the country. And if we keep talking about groups, and small groups, and especially if we touch on anything that involves children and sexuality—that’s insane. You don’t campaign on the basis of that.

I'm not disagreeing with anything he says, but I have doubts that factions within the Democratic party will be willing to sacrifice a short-term focus on specific issues in order to gain power and enact long-term change. I can't see anyone saying something to the effect that issues affecting the myriad minority communities need to play second fiddle to issues affecting, say, white working people (mostly men) and actually gaining enough traction to make it to the ballot box. Sanders was probably the closest to being able to accomplish this, but I don't see him running for president again, and he was still beholden to smaller factions within the Democratic party (just read the tweet chain under this for an idea of what the Dems have to overcome). If they can't come together enough to win, no one in the Democratic coalition is going to get what they need, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

GoldMountain #20544 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles
Does Minsk even do reddit?

EmpressNero #20545 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:23

Major

• Players
  • 11365 battles

View PostGoldMountain, on Dec 06 2017 - 10:19, said:

Does Minsk even do reddit?

Sure they do.  They tend to hang around r/conspiracy with the other Trump-eters.

RitaGamer #20546 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

They do. And so does Cyprus because its the only way sometimes they find out about BS that the minor offices have done and are not telling them. They said it so to me.

Reddit. RSR. You name it.

And talking about that, I am off the house again very soon but got some interesting articles to write when I am back from Uni/have delivered the next essay.

KilljoyCutter #20547 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostLittleJoeRambler, on Dec 06 2017 - 10:17, said:

I'm not disagreeing with anything he says, but I have doubts that factions within the Democratic party will be willing to sacrifice a short-term focus on specific issues in order to gain power and enact long-term change. I can't see anyone saying something to the effect that issues affecting the myriad minority communities need to play second fiddle to issues affecting, say, white working people (mostly men) and actually gaining enough traction to make it to the ballot box. Sanders was probably the closest to being able to accomplish this, but I don't see him running for president again, and he was still beholden to smaller factions within the Democratic party (just read the tweet chain under this for an idea of what the Dems have to overcome). If they can't come together enough to win, no one in the Democratic coalition is going to get what they need, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

What they (the Democrats) are going to have to realize is that the campaign trail isn't the only podium, and that the candidate for office doesn't have to be the one addressing every interest in every speech. 

Insurrectional_Leftist #20548 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 17:12

Major

• Players
  • 45411 battles

View PostDaigensui, on Dec 06 2017 - 08:45, said:

I still remember the nightmare that the Tax part of the CPA exams.

https://www.nytimes....l-benefits.html

It also has one other motive behind it most importantly.  As Paul Krugman points out so well.

DerViktim #20549 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 17:21

Major

• Players
  • 18286 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Dec 06 2017 - 10:32, said:

What they (the Democrats) are going to have to realize is that the campaign trail isn't the only podium, and that the candidate for office doesn't have to be the one addressing every interest in every speech. 

We live in the age of the "vocal minority". Where small groups can drive the entire "conversation" by virtue of being a small group and being the loudest. It is kind of a warped version of "the squeaky wheel". The problem I see with the Dems is they have become so absorbed by the "vocal minority" that they have lost their ability to offer anything to the "silent majority".

Edited by DerViktim, Dec 06 2017 - 17:22.

DerViktim #20550 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 18:11

Major

• Players
  • 18286 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Ok.. the new Tanktoon made me laugh. Like legit laugh.

SpectreHD #20551 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 18:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16324 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostRitaGamer, on Dec 06 2017 - 23:31, said:

They do. And so does Cyprus because its the only way sometimes they find out about BS that the minor offices have done and are not telling them. They said it so to me.

Reddit. RSR. You name it.

And talking about that, I am off the house again very soon but got some interesting articles to write when I am back from Uni/have delivered the next essay.

Some WG dirt? Yes please.

RitaGamer #20552 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 18:22

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

December is the month we keep offerings presents to each other at the house.

I had placed some money apart and been given some too to bring certain foods from Portugal and last night I opened a bottle of Portuguese Blue Wine for Paul.

Like I've said before, I am very good at picking wine. He absolutely loved it and is now asking that I get more.

Also, for those in the UK and that haven't tried Rosé, you got Mateus. Try it. 

Spoiler

Mateus is the most predominant PT Rosé, it's cheap but tasty.  Price is not everything, one of the best Rosés I ever tasted was a 2-3quid bottle from a Portuguese Aldi.

I used to buy those BY THE CRATE when visiting my family years ago and I am gutted I no longer can find the damn thing.

But yeah, if any of you ever become interested in trying proper Portuguese wine, I suggest you the "Bacalhoa" group. 

https://store.bacalhoa.pt/produtos/?pg=1&title=comprar-vinhos&idioma=pt

The prices vary a lot, usually between 3 to <100 euros but all of them are very good. 

Moscatel de Setubal

Meia Pipa

Casal Mendes

^ I highly recommend those, especially the first. 

GoldMountain #20553 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 18:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles
Hey Chief, your last post was indicative of you coming over to this side of the pond sometime next week?

KilljoyCutter #20554 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Baltimore added to my fleet.  Ready for whenever that change to the US cruisers comes down the pipe. 

RitaGamer #20555 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Kek...

Was looking at videos of the concert and the first I found its someone right behind me. I was often only standing up and making everyone behind me do the same. I'm tiny so I cant see if not standing up and if people do that ahead of me then I gotta climb someone's shoulder or stand up on the chair. Was recording a 1min piece to make my family and friends jealous.

Did not realise at first but that raised pinky finger... that's Rita alright.

GoldMountain #20556 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 19:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles

View PostRitaGamer, on Dec 06 2017 - 18:27, said:

Kek...

Was looking at videos of the concert and the first I found its someone right behind me. I was often only standing up and making everyone behind me do the same. I'm tiny so I cant see if not standing up and if people do that ahead of me then I gotta climb someone's shoulder or stand up on the chair. Was recording a 1min piece to make my family and friends jealous.

Did not realise at first but that raised pinky finger... that's Rita alright.

So classy.

Edited by GoldMountain, Dec 06 2017 - 19:36.

RitaGamer #20557 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 19:38

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

View PostGoldMountain, on Dec 06 2017 - 18:32, said:

So classy.

GoldMountain #20558 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 20:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles

Daigensui #20559 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 27503 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

MajorOffensive #20560 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 20:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27009 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostDaigensui, on Dec 06 2017 - 03:45, said:

I still remember the nightmare that the Tax part of the CPA exams.

"Simplifying the tax code" has been a talking point for a long time, but I'm skeptical anyone will ever actually get around to it.

View PostSpectreHD, on Dec 06 2017 - 04:25, said:

In what way? Because it is not available here? Seems WGNA is at least keeping the M4A2E4 strictly a Beta Testers only vehicle. For now.

As one of the former Beta Testers, I would be supremely annoyed, but it's a god-awful vehicle and a complete rip-off of a sale. :trollface:

35 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 27 guests, 2 anonymous users

Apache1990, SpectreHD, Sheller3, LittleJoeRambler, Starne, avenue94