T110's Olympian Thread of Comfort

• Please log in to reply
24784 replies to this topic

cipher12 #24781 Posted Today, 08:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11752 battles

Well purchased a squad of Bikers so I finally got 1k points of Custodes which is enough to make up a battalion (all 12 models of them XD) I dont think im gonna be winning anything with them but its still gonna be fun.

godofdun #24782 Posted Today, 08:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14091 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Feb 19 2018 - 11:54, said:

Well that just got complicated... or more complicated, really. 

Yeah, now it's Russia/Turkey/Syrian gov/Syrian rebels/Kurdish forces(if we can even lump them into one group)/ISIS/Israel/US?  Did I miss anyone?  Yikes.....

KilljoyCutter #24783 Posted Today, 08:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View Postgodofdun, on Feb 19 2018 - 14:23, said:

Yeah, now it's Russia/Turkey/Syrian gov/Syrian rebels/Kurdish forces(if we can even lump them into one group)/ISIS/Israel/US?  Did I miss anyone?  Yikes.....

The US is allied to Turkey via NATO, but also allied with the Kurdish forces in Iraq and Syria, but opposed to the Assad regime, but also can't risk pushing the Iraqi government any closer to Iran by given more support to the Kurds, but also...

The Turkish government is allied with the US, but opposed to both the Assad regime and the Kurds.

The Russians want to pry Turkey away from NATO, but are also entrenched in supporting the Assad regime.

The Kurds are allied with but disappointed in the US, opposed to the Turkish forces in Syria, have a bad relationship with the Iraqi government, and are looking to carve their own state out of part of the area they've defended against or taken from ISIS. 

Etc. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Today, 08:31 PM.

LordCommanderMilitant #24784 Posted Today, 08:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8577 battles
  • [KURO] KURO

View PostMisfire42, on Feb 19 2018 - 18:22, said:

You realize that that logic is literally true for some people and not others, right? I'm gay; the Republican Party is a threat to me. I'm also white, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on that front regardless of who's in power. You've posted some of Lilla's stuff before, and like I said then, I get the desire for a shift in emphasis. That's OK with me, but his way of handling the groups that are then being ignored seems to be to say "eh, they'll be fine. w/e." That doesn't really work; if you're being discriminated against because you're a part of a certain group, it's going to be hard to address it without mentioning the group you're in, i.e. the reason it's happening. Of course you say that you want it because everyone should be equal (or you think it's too obvious to be worth mentioning, which can be an issue), but how can you solve a problem without first making clear what the problem is?

This is why I don't like the term "identity politics": it's far too flexible. It can be applied to what you're talking about, or someone just saying "hey, please don't discriminate against me", or the more nonsensical excesses that have popped up in some places. They're not the same thing, clearly, but they all get the same label. (Current left-wing cultural politics is absurdly full of this kind of terminological issue.)

As to the substance of your post, of course it doesn't, but a) polls of Trump supporters/Republicans (I mention the latter because they're more often polled, not because they're the same group) do indicate that a large portion of Trump supporters are racists and bigots and b) of course not everyone who supports Trump is racist/bigoted, but everyone who supports Trump accepts racism/bigotry. That doesn't mean they're necessarily racist/bigoted themselves, but it does mean that they looked at him, his policies, and who he surrounds himself with, and decided they were good enough.

This is how I see it.

We will never make progress without "identity politics," because a large number of cisgendered anglo-saxon-white heterosexual protestant males don't give two s**** and will happily give sexism, racism, and other bigotry a blind eye as long as it isn't happening to them. 

If we want positive change, we have to present a unified group.

View Postcipher12, on Feb 19 2018 - 19:17, said:

Well purchased a squad of Bikers so I finally got 1k points of Custodes which is enough to make up a battalion (all 12 models of them XD) I dont think im gonna be winning anything with them but its still gonna be fun.

Nice!

I feel like there's actually 15 guys there. Minimum Battalion is 11 [2x1 Shield Captain, 3x3 Custodian Guard], +3 jetbikes makes 15.

godofdun #24785 Posted Today, 08:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14091 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Feb 19 2018 - 12:26, said:

The US is allied to Turkey via NATO, but also allied with the Kurdish forces in Iraq and Syria, but opposed to the Assad regime. 

The Turkish government is allied with the US, but opposed to both the Assad regime and the Kurds.

The Russians want to pry Turkey away from NATO, but are also entrenched in supporting the Assad regime.

The Kurds are allied with but disappointed in the US, opposed to the Turkish forces in Syria, have a bad relationship with the Iraqi government, and are looking to carve their own state out of part of the area they've defended against or taken from ISIS. 

Etc. 

Exactly, lots of cooks with lots of knives in the kitchen, with no one in agreement on what to cook even after the blood is dry.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

8 members, 18 guests, 2 anonymous users

EmpressNero, Tjtod, godofdun, cipher12, Apache1990, Haunt8dTank, ChairmanMilo, Misfire42